Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Crystal Palace Football Club Ľ Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 11-11-2017, 01:46 AM
like a shot in the dark

CP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by PT109 View Post
Sorry Ian but you are aware that Arthur Wait is actually spelt Arthur Waite? You have been long enough on here to see that surely?!
Funny that, Iíve been going to Selhurst Park since 1970, on all the tickets, programmes, newspaper and football history books Iíve read in all that time, itís very clear that the name is Wait, but you are insisting it Ďs Waite?

Arthur Waitís main business was as a builder and the company he started up is still in operation -

To view the link you have to Register or Login

Amongst other things they built the London Planetarium, which of course was modelled on football commentator Brian Mooreís head.
Old 11-11-2017, 02:52 AM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Quote:
Sorry Ian but you are aware that Arthur Wait is actually spelt Arthur Waite? You have been long enough on here to see that surely?!
I know Palace have form for misspelling things Palace related, including their own name on shirts, but surely they would not spell the guys name wrong on a testimonial programme...

Old 11-11-2017, 03:39 PM

cad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Very bold of you to bandy historical facts with the Kingster. Whoever first started adding an E needs a stern ticking off.
Old 11-11-2017, 07:34 PM

palacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is here
Quote:
Arthur's grandson Chris WAIT is a regular at Palace.

And it's spelled "ARFUR", isn't it?
Old 11-11-2017, 09:31 PM
Bombay Bad Boy

Dave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by plumey1969 View Post

The first home game after the declaration of war, Crystal Palace v Brighton on Saturday October 7th 1939. Attendance approx 3,500.
Love that PeterH was there 75 years a go
Old 24-11-2017, 06:29 AM
Collecting Palace tat

Dorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is here
2 tier Whitehorse, 1973

"Crystal Palace is cult viewing, like a late night TV show that only a few people know about, like a precious record that was never number one but makes everybody who knows it want to dance and singÖ and sometimes cry." Tony, 3-7-2001

"Well, as I said before, we are only 6 points behind 4th from bottom with the prize of an additional £65 million (minimum) if we stay up. So, we'd be bonkers if that wasn't the top priority. Nobody's giving up on staying in this league." CPFC2010, 5-11-2013
Old 24-11-2017, 06:23 PM

Purepalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPurepalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPurepalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPurepalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPurepalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPurepalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPurepalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPurepalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPurepalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPurepalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPurepalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorking .Eagle View Post
2 tier Whitehorse, 1973

Martin Hinshelwood? Used to sit on that wall.
Old 24-11-2017, 07:01 PM

jhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
For those who care or can be bothered, there are some decent shots of Old Skool Selhurst (and other less important London football grounds) in this link
That pic says 'Selhurst early 70's'. Clearly this is a 60's picture, but very nostalgic all the same.
Old 24-11-2017, 07:07 PM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purepalace View Post
Martin Hinshelwood? Used to sit on that wall.
Yes it's Martin Hinshelwood (I've always spelled it wrong).

Someone on another thread was saying the Palace pitch was bad due to Wimbledon ground share... as you can see this is looking pretty bad (but seen worse) long before Wimbledon came along.
Old 24-11-2017, 07:09 PM
The Spiky One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruskin Old Boy View Post
Seen on Twitter earlier today, photo taken in 1923:

Hopefully that is going to be what the Main Stand looks like come June 2018.
Old 24-11-2017, 07:11 PM

cheekychippie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecheekychippie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecheekychippie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecheekychippie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecheekychippie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecheekychippie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecheekychippie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecheekychippie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecheekychippie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecheekychippie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecheekychippie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
so did I , can remember that game .. one of those pair of legs dangling over the wall would be mine , in the middle of the goal ....
Old 25-11-2017, 01:54 AM
like a shot in the dark

CP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorking .Eagle View Post
2 tier Whitehorse, 1973

Just realised, that picture is against today’s opponents, Stoke, Martin Hinshelwood is tracking Stoke’s Terry Conroy.

Since the 1970 World Cup, Gordon Banks was my idol and as a kid, I used to follow Stoke’s results, but the only time I got to see them play was at Selhurst Park - both times I went, Banks was out injured, both times Stoke were winning 2-1 and both times Palace went on to win 3-2 and in this particular match, Don Rogers scored a classic goal that got voted Goal of the Season on the Big Match.

A year on (1974) and I slowly started to be more interested in Palace matches and that wall half way up was my favourite spot too, as my little legs could get through the metal barriers, which meant as a 10 year old you used to get an uninterrupted view of the match, but Christ was it cold on that bare concrete in winter time!
Old 25-11-2017, 01:59 AM
The Spiky One

I was going to comment that the photo was of a Stoke game, but wasn't 100% sure.

I was torn between Stoke, Sheffield United and Sunderland.

Do players ever get muddy these days?
Old 25-11-2017, 02:00 AM
The Spiky One

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP Satellite View Post
but Christ was it cold on that bare concrete in winter time!
You should have worn long trousers like the big boys!
Old 25-11-2017, 10:31 AM
like a shot in the dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
You should have worn long trousers like the big boys!
Now he tells me! Actually, I donít think it would have made a difference, not even with one of those Parka jackets that every other kid had back in the early 70ís, Whitehorse Wall-itis meant you got a numb bum, blue fingers and and chattering teeth (I did wonder why I got such strange looks, come to think of it).

Also, not sure if anyone else remembers, but our old floodlights seemed to be even more powerful back in the day, if you looked directly at them for more than a second, you seemed to have the image of them burnt into your eyesight for the next 5 minutes!
Old 25-11-2017, 04:10 PM

DARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
I was going to comment that the photo was of a Stoke game, but wasn't 100% sure.

I was torn between Stoke, Sheffield United and Sunderland.

Do players ever get muddy these days?
Not really, back in the day pitches just didn't have the sophisticated treatment they have today. Games were played on bogs and quagmires.
Old 25-11-2017, 07:03 PM
Collecting Palace tat

Dorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP Satellite View Post

Also, not sure if anyone else remembers, but our old floodlights seemed to be even more powerful back in the day, if you looked directly at them for more than a second, you seemed to have the image of them burnt into your eyesight for the next 5 minutes!

Yes, the old floodlights were a very much harsher bright light, and it was like looking at the sun - you could see them for ages after you looked away!
"Crystal Palace is cult viewing, like a late night TV show that only a few people know about, like a precious record that was never number one but makes everybody who knows it want to dance and singÖ and sometimes cry." Tony, 3-7-2001

"Well, as I said before, we are only 6 points behind 4th from bottom with the prize of an additional £65 million (minimum) if we stay up. So, we'd be bonkers if that wasn't the top priority. Nobody's giving up on staying in this league." CPFC2010, 5-11-2013
Old 28-11-2017, 09:03 AM

Am Phibian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAm Phibian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAm Phibian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAm Phibian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAm Phibian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAm Phibian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAm Phibian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAm Phibian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAm Phibian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAm Phibian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAm Phibian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I could see the beam of the 70's floodlights in the evening from my bedroom window in Norbury they were that powerful and could also hear the crowd occasionally.
Old 28-11-2017, 01:04 PM
BBS NFL CHAMP 2012 & 2014

CPFC BORN &BRED : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCPFC BORN &BRED : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCPFC BORN &BRED : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCPFC BORN &BRED : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCPFC BORN &BRED : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCPFC BORN &BRED : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCPFC BORN &BRED : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCPFC BORN &BRED : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCPFC BORN &BRED : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCPFC BORN &BRED : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCPFC BORN &BRED : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
On that aerial picture from the 1930's of selhurst couldn't help but wish we had that land like that now. You could put a huge new stadium in there I suppose we will see what Steve has in mind soon.
Old 28-11-2017, 03:43 PM
like a shot in the dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPFC BORN &BRED View Post
On that aerial picture from the 1930's of selhurst couldn't help but wish we had that land like that now. You could put a huge new stadium in there I suppose we will see what Steve has in mind soon.
The original plans for the ground at Selhurst Park, drawn up by Archibald Leitch, the architect behind so many famous old grounds in England and Scotland, seemed quite similar to the old Wembley and you can imagine, with the enormous amount of space we used to have at the Whitehorse Lane end, before it ended up with Sainsbury’s after 1981 and also all the land behind the Main Stand too, the capacity could have been around 80,000 (back in the day when seating would only have been less than 10% of the available room).

To put it into focus, in 1979, when Palace had the record attendance of 51,402 (we all know it was over 52,000 as many people jumped the gates at Holmesdale End) it was recorded that over 21,000 were in the Holmesdale alone, the Whitehorse is potentially a bigger space!