Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 03-12-2017, 04:38 PM
Safe European Home

JDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is here
I'm happy we're off the bottom and in touch. Frankly I don't care how we've done it.

However, something needs to happen with Benteke; free role or otherwise. I know he's had time out injured but he's our principal striker, it's December and he has yet to score. This isn't enough however you cut it.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:15 PM

Eagle96 will cross the room to turn the lights down lowEagle96 will cross the room to turn the lights down lowEagle96 will cross the room to turn the lights down lowEagle96 will cross the room to turn the lights down lowEagle96 will cross the room to turn the lights down lowEagle96 will cross the room to turn the lights down lowEagle96 will cross the room to turn the lights down lowEagle96 will cross the room to turn the lights down lowEagle96 will cross the room to turn the lights down lowEagle96 will cross the room to turn the lights down lowEagle96 will cross the room to turn the lights down low
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolabolabola View Post
The main thing to know is that putting Zaha back on the wing would be counter productive.
And you base that on what? How much better did we look when Wilf went wide left tonight? He got our first shot on target cutting in from the left, which led to our equaliser. Just before that he had a great effort that whiskered over the bar after starting out wide and cutting in.

He then proceeded to take on all 3 of Watford's full-backs before cutting it back to Jimmy for the winner.

Wilf was anonymous in that second half when he was up front, and he (and the team) came alive when he moved wider (in his position)!!

Swap Wilf and RLC from the start Roy. It's still very concerning he doesn't see this. We're a totally different proposition when Wilf is running at his full-back.

Last edited by Eagle96; 12-12-2017 at 10:18 PM.
Old Yesterday, 01:26 PM

cranesparkeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcranesparkeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcranesparkeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcranesparkeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcranesparkeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcranesparkeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcranesparkeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcranesparkeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcranesparkeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcranesparkeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcranesparkeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I dont think Wilf is a classical winger. For me he is at most dangerous when he finds space out wide, taking defenders with him and then cuts inside with the ball when just about anything can happen. It was what Thierry Henri did in his early days at Arsenal. It cuts accross oppo defences usual expectations and pulls them out of shape. In defence Wilf should offer a first line of on whichever side he happens to be on at that moment but should then be able to pass his man onto more defensive minded players and provide an outlet for our defenders.
Old Yesterday, 01:50 PM
By hand or by Bannan

Excowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is here
I think the current formation is pretty well set-up to play to Wilf's strengths which is one of the reasons he's been such a stand-out player so far - he's had plenty of opportunities to cut in from the edge of the box and take on full-backs high up the pitch, which is where he's at his best.

The main issue we have in our formation is who protects the left full-back? Putting RLC on the left seems like a better place for him than on the right wing but he's still pretty anonymous most of the time we're in possession (mainly due to passes going straight to Wilf when the ball's on the left) and still pretty awful at tracking back.

That means we rely very heavily on Cabaye when we're in posession and Schlupp gets isolated a lot which is not a good thing considering his lack of positional sense.

I think there's a good reason Roy is persevering with these tactics but Loftus Cheek is going to have to raise his game a fair bit if they're going to work (as well as Townsend coming back to form - by the way he seems to work much better on the right than the left).

There were good signs early on against Bournemouth the formation can work going forward, especially if Benteke regains his goalscoring form, but if RLC doesn't improve on the left, I think Roy might have to look at a different midfield line up to protect the full-backs.

Werner Herzog
Old Yesterday, 08:27 PM
All views stated are IMHO

glaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle96 View Post
Bored of seeing RLC out wide, he's quite clearly not a winger nor particularly comfortable in wide positions. Bored of seeing Wilf with his back to goal, he's so blatantly more effective when he's out wide running at players scaring the sh*t out of them. Sure he's scored a couple of goals whilst playing up front, but I really think now that Benteke is back the team would benefit if we swapped Wilf and RLC.

We need to make this change ASAP imo. Hodgson has managed to find a formation that nullifies two of our biggest threats in RLC and Wilf, which in turn has negatively impacted Benteke's game too as Wilf would be creating so many more chances for him if he was playing out wide. How many dangerous crosses has RLC put in the box for Benteke to attack? None from memory. Wilf would put at least 3 or 4 per game.

Hodgson has neutralised the threat of RLC, Wilf and Benteke in one fell swoop. We need to go 433 or 4231 and attack with width, which shouldn't be hard to do seeing as we have two excellent wingers and a target man who needs crosses.

For the record- I appreciate we've started picking up points with this formation/shape, but we're toothless going forward what with all the square pegs in round holes. What has Wilf contributed in the last 3 games? RLC? (Yes he scored vs Stoke but he was very poor in open play playing RM).
Zaha is not a good crosser. His cross for McArthur was fortunately deflected. He needs to improve by staying onside more, but I like him further forward with no defensive responsibility and able to press from the front. Plus he can drift wide to keep opposition defences stretched. The issue we have is that there is a lack of quality out wide. We need full backs that can cross, and to sign a new winger who can whip in a pinpoint cross, hopefully in Jan. We need Townsend back on form too.

As for RLC he is a box-to-box centre mid, even Hodgson admits this. But that doesn't mean he is suited to playing in the hole or as a support striker as Wilf currently is. RLC should be getting a chance to play alongside Luka or Cabaye and instead of one of them. But that won't happen this season because RLC is young and not trusted. He doesn't have the experience. I understand that. It's not as simple as people think. Roy Hodgson has not got the formation wrong imho.
Old Yesterday, 08:32 PM
All views stated are IMHO

glaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excowboy View Post
I think the current formation is pretty well set-up to play to Wilf's strengths which is one of the reasons he's been such a stand-out player so far - he's had plenty of opportunities to cut in from the edge of the box and take on full-backs high up the pitch, which is where he's at his best.

The main issue we have in our formation is who protects the left full-back? Putting RLC on the left seems like a better place for him than on the right wing but he's still pretty anonymous most of the time we're in possession (mainly due to passes going straight to Wilf when the ball's on the left) and still pretty awful at tracking back.

That means we rely very heavily on Cabaye when we're in posession and Schlupp gets isolated a lot which is not a good thing considering his lack of positional sense.

I think there's a good reason Roy is persevering with these tactics but Loftus Cheek is going to have to raise his game a fair bit if they're going to work (as well as Townsend coming back to form - by the way he seems to work much better on the right than the left).

There were good signs early on against Bournemouth the formation can work going forward, especially if Benteke regains his goalscoring form, but if RLC doesn't improve on the left, I think Roy might have to look at a different midfield line up to protect the full-backs.
Agreed 100%. Sako is surely coming into the mix as well now. But Zaha is winning us more games than ever before because of Roy's tactics. That can't be questioned, and that's not a slight on Zaha's previous form, it's a simple fact that he is more effective further forward whether on the wing or through the middle. Well done Roy.
Old Yesterday, 08:44 PM
Benevolence personified

Vince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is here
Am I alone in thinking that generally speaking, for a Palace team in the top flight, we seem to create quite a few chances, and at home at least, seem to be scoring a fair bit.

Even though I keep hearing the Watford game was the biggest disaster in the club's history, I thought throughout that despite the fairly poor entertainment on offer from both sides, that we could nick something from the game.

Y'all are crazy
Old Yesterday, 08:55 PM

Yoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Hilaire's Afro View Post
Am I alone in thinking that generally speaking, for a Palace team in the top flight, we seem to create quite a few chances, and at home at least, seem to be scoring a fair bit.

Even though I keep hearing the Watford game was the biggest disaster in the club's history, I thought throughout that despite the fairly poor entertainment on offer from both sides, that we could nick something from the game.

Y'all are crazy
I think come the 85th minute, we’d had 1 attempt on target and that was powderpuff.

Great to get 3 points, but probably more than we deserved given Watford should have been further ahead at half-time.

That said, I felt we got less than we deserved when we only drew on Saturday so, across the 2 matches, a total of 4 points was fair.
Old Yesterday, 09:24 PM
N14 and not so proud...

SOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is here
I hate to say it but it might be time to consider spending big on another winger, despite the fact we are desperate for a striker and GK plus could do with another DM in case Luka gets hurt.

Andros has done very little this season and our threat on goal comes from Wilf ( God help us if we lose him ) and RLC on a good day. McArthur has chipped in with goals but is not a first teamer as far as Roy is concerned.

If Benteke does continue his drought and Roy refuses to consider dropping him and putting Wilf and Andros up front, we might need to invest in a more productive winger or even consider playing Puncheon there, where he did well for us until Pardew's classic decision to move Puncheon to AM rather than consider actually buying one.

Either way, I think it's a concern how reliant we are on Wilf. Thankfully, he has become a week-in-week-out match winner but the help he was getting last season from Andros has evaporated this term. Since I've given up on the club investing in a dedicated AM, I think another winger is a good idea as I fear being left with Zaha as our only reliable source of creativity after January. It smacks of the same stupidity as leaving ourselves with only Benteke up front after the summer.
Old Yesterday, 10:14 PM
Red Squirrel Ultras Rule

elgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is here
No defeats