Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Crystal Palace Football Club Ľ Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 09-02-2018, 11:42 AM

eltron : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineeltron : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineeltron : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineeltron : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineeltron : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineeltron : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineeltron : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineeltron : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineeltron : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineeltron : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineeltron : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiltshire_red View Post
After contributing and reading your comments on this thread, I started a similar thread on the Wrexham RedPassion site, although over 40 years ago, Wrexham fans also remember that game clearly, but as you can imagine with vastly different feelings.

Although only a 3rd division game the passion from both sets of fans is football as it was always meant to be.

I canít post a link yet, if you are interested in the comments you will have to addd www and copy and paste this into your browser.

To view the link you have to Register or Login
That is a really interesting read - and really impressive that so many remember vividly the circumstances - ie a 1 goal defeat and Wrexham only needed a point against Mansfield - 2 goals and they would need a win.
Old 09-02-2018, 12:40 PM

Am Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is here
Just read a bit of Terry Venables biography and interestingly over a 37 year managerial career that out of his top games he says, for him, the satisfaction, the Wrexham v Palace game is up there standing equally alongside a Barcelona one and one other.

Last edited by Am Phibian; 09-02-2018 at 12:44 PM.
Old 09-02-2018, 12:44 PM

Coastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Am Phibian View Post
Just read a bit of Terry Venables biography and interestingly over a 37 year managerial career he says that out of his top games he says, for him, the satisfaction, the Wrexham v Palace game is up there standing equally alongside a Barcelona one and one other.
Probably only said that to sell his book to a few more Palace fans.

My older brother was there that night and he reckons the only game that surpassed that feeling of total euphoria was the game at Villa Park.
Old 09-02-2018, 12:51 PM

Am Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal Palace View Post
Probably only said that to sell his book to a few more Palace fans.

My older brother was there that night and he reckons the only game that surpassed that feeling of total euphoria was the game at Villa Park.
You old cynic. Nah, he meant it. The euphoria as you say must have been off the scale. He didn't actually win much in the end El Tel for such a long career so memorable nights like that must have stayed with him all these years.
Old 09-02-2018, 12:56 PM

Coastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Am Phibian View Post
You old cynic. Nah, he meant it. The euphoria as you say must have been off the scale. He didn't actually win much in the end El Tel for such a long career so memorable nights like that must have stayed with him all these years.
Yeah I suppose you're right, AP.
Like every supporter who remembers his reign in the good times, I can't help but wonder how far we could've gone had he not been a dodgy Dagenham Dave shyster bag o' shyte.
Old 09-02-2018, 10:43 PM

M3 Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietM3 Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietM3 Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietM3 Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietM3 Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietM3 Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietM3 Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietM3 Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietM3 Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietM3 Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietM3 Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
He said that at the open day before the season started when he came back with Goldberg in charge, said it was his favourite game ever, but then he would wouldn't he.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:36 AM

cad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
A few memories from those games:

Never have I seen fortunes change in such a crucial game change in such a short space of time as it did in that Wrexham game. Wrexham were just minutes from promotion at our expense having clawed their way back from 2-0 down. The Wrexham fans were already celebrating when Harkouk and Bourne struck. The change in mood between the two ends of the ground was astonishing.

Those who were not at the Wrexham v Mansfield game will not have known how close we came to failing. Wrexham completely dominated the first half. How they didn't score is a mystery. Then, just before the interval, Mansfield keeper Rod Arnold got clattered (I think by Wrexham's Billy Ashcroft). He was still down and being attended to long after all the other players had left the field. There is s a story somewhere about his concussion and the fact that he barely remembers the second half. Wrexham continued in the second half where they left off in the first without being able to find a breakthrough. Then in the last 10 minutes or so, Mansfield came back and, for the first time, you felt that Palace would do it. When Ernie Moss hit the winner, it was a feeling of astonishing joy and relief.
There is a story here and pic of Rod Arnold: To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 11-02-2018, 03:27 PM

ian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by cad View Post
Those who were not at the Wrexham v Mansfield game
....might have been at Selhurst Park for the reserve game v Hereford (won 4-0) to hear what was going on at Wrexham. Most of the first team were there in the main stand and a crowd of around 4,000 I am told.
Old 11-02-2018, 10:37 PM

cad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian king View Post
....might have been at Selhurst Park for the reserve game v Hereford (won 4-0) to hear what was going on at Wrexham. Most of the first team were there in the main stand and a crowd of around 4,000 I am told.
I heard it was a great day. One of those very few occasions where it would have been great to have been in two places at the same time.

However, as I said, most don't realise how in control Wrexham were in that game. Top performance from Mansfield keeper Rod Arnold but how Wrexham didn't score I will never know. Without doubt, the most tension-filled game I have ever attended Ė and that includes those do or die affairs at Stockport and Sheffield Wednesday.
Old 13-02-2018, 01:08 PM
Probationary User

Billy's Boots is playing for a contract
Coincidently, the other day I stumbled across the programme I kept from the home game against Wrexham.

Before kick off, we were 4 points behind Wrexham with 3 games to play (Wrexham also had a game in hand on us). So I guess it isnít any real surprise that in TVís programme notes he described our promotion hopes as 'very slender' before publicly venting his anger over the recent loss at Port Vale.

Different times...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 20180213081312367.pdf (333.0 KB, 26 views)
Old 15-02-2018, 11:05 AM

sylvan eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsylvan eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsylvan eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsylvan eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsylvan eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsylvan eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsylvan eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsylvan eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsylvan eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsylvan eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsylvan eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy's Boots View Post
Coincidently, the other day I stumbled across the programme I kept from the home game against Wrexham.

Before kick off, we were 4 points behind Wrexham with 3 games to play (Wrexham also had a game in hand on us). So I guess it isnít any real surprise that in TVís programme notes he described our promotion hopes as 'very slender' before publicly venting his anger over the recent loss at Port Vale.

Different times...

You wouldnít get away with that now