Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Other Sport » World of Betting

Notices

World of Betting Betting forum. Please bet responsibly: gambleaware.co.uk

Old 11-01-2018, 06:24 PM

Louis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
The Birthday Paradox

Heard this on the radio recently ... How many people do you need in a room to have a 50% chance of two having the same birthday?

To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 11-01-2018, 06:32 PM
C. Palace 1 Oxford U. 0

hughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is here
Haven't opened the link but IIRC it's about 25-30. Then at about a 95% chance it's around 40

Of course to have a 100% chance you need at least 367 people - one for each day of the year plus one more.

If you wish to follow a football club based on their success then you could not view yourself as a supporter ... you are merely a customer. - Mat ov CPFC.

Don't let anybody make you think that God chose America as his divine messianic force to be a sort of policeman of the whole world. God has a way of standing before the nations with judgement and it seems to me that I can hear God saying to America, "You are too arrogant." - Martin Luther King
Old 11-01-2018, 06:36 PM
C. Palace 1 Oxford U. 0

hughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is here
Opened the link - a couple fewer than I thought. and 95% was 48.

Really cool piece of stats. Frequently used by Maths teachers to impress their classes.

If you wish to follow a football club based on their success then you could not view yourself as a supporter ... you are merely a customer. - Mat ov CPFC.

Don't let anybody make you think that God chose America as his divine messianic force to be a sort of policeman of the whole world. God has a way of standing before the nations with judgement and it seems to me that I can hear God saying to America, "You are too arrogant." - Martin Luther King
Old 11-01-2018, 06:47 PM

ExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is here
Has anyone actually tested this out for real?

I get the logic but still struggle to see that if in reality if you grouped together a number of times 23 people that reality will match the logic used.
Old 13-01-2018, 02:58 AM
Panty Organizer

Funk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExiledStirling View Post

I get the logic but still struggle to see that if in reality if you grouped together a number of times 23 people that reality will match the logic used.
I actually just started learning Japanese here in Japan. At the entrance, we had about 80 people line up according to birthday. I would say there was about 7 or 8 that had the same birthday and two sets of three people with the same birthday.

I actually like the To view the link you have to Register or Login But it tends to be more relevant to Americans that have watched Let's Make a Deal.

Last edited by Funk Butter; 13-01-2018 at 03:09 AM.
Old 13-01-2018, 03:12 AM

ExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funk Butter View Post
I actually just started learning Japanese here in Japan. At the entrance, we had about 80 people line up according to birthday. I would say there was about 7 or 8 that had the same birthday and two sets of three people with the same birthday.
Interesting and perhaps more than expected but if yiu are at a college could you randomly go and get 10 sets of 23 people and see whether you get 5 of the groups to have two people sharing the same birthday?

Report back tomorrow
Old 13-01-2018, 03:17 AM
Hamsey U13+U12

eagles073 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineeagles073 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineeagles073 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineeagles073 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineeagles073 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineeagles073 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineeagles073 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineeagles073 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineeagles073 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineeagles073 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineeagles073 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I was on a train with 10 friends on a day out, and not one of us had the same birth month, which i thought was kind of freaky.
Old 13-01-2018, 04:11 AM
C. Palace 1 Oxford U. 0

Quote:

As I inferred above, a maths teacher at my school used to do it every year. It certainly works.

Old 13-01-2018, 04:26 AM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
I know a lot of BBS Members don't advertise their birthday, but out of 6,944 members I would think at least 25% would. (Just look at this thread for example).

That would be a data base of 1,736 known birthdays. Divide that by the magic 23 and you get 75 sub-sets.

My fuzzy logic is that would mean at least 150 BBS members would have a birthday today (a minimum of 2 per 23 sub-set), yet the forums page shows there are only 5.

Stick that in your pipe and smoke it!
Old 13-01-2018, 05:09 AM
Party on

Chris Finch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChris Finch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChris Finch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChris Finch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChris Finch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChris Finch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChris Finch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChris Finch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChris Finch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChris Finch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChris Finch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I worked in an office of 9 people before and 3 of us shared the same birthday.
About 20 years apart in age but unusual nonetheless.
Old 13-01-2018, 05:21 AM
C. Palace 1 Oxford U. 0

Hedgehog, you should never get a job in statistics.

Old 13-01-2018, 06:22 AM

N Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
I know a lot of BBS Members don't advertise their birthday, but out of 6,944 members I would think at least 25% would. (Just look at this thread for example).

That would be a data base of 1,736 known birthdays. Divide that by the magic 23 and you get 75 sub-sets.

My fuzzy logic is that would mean at least 150 BBS members would have a birthday today (a minimum of 2 per 23 sub-set), yet the forums page shows there are only 5.

Stick that in your pipe and smoke it!
Fuzzy Logic.... so let me check 150 *365 = 1736 or 54750........ Ok stage further its 5 so possible that two subsets could be fine but that leaves the chances for 145 people to have the same birthday a little shorter
Old 13-01-2018, 06:23 AM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughff View Post
Hedgehog, you should never get a job in statistics.

Very true! :-)
Old 13-01-2018, 08:28 AM

ceeby came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietceeby came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietceeby came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietceeby came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietceeby came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietceeby came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietceeby came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietceeby came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietceeby came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietceeby came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietceeby came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Haven't opened the link but IIRC it's about 25-30. Then at about a 95% chance it's around 40

Of course to have a 100% chance you need at least 367 people - one for each day of the year plus one more.
Even a million people in the same room wouldn't give you a 100% chance (although it would be crowded )
Old 13-01-2018, 08:37 AM
Tomato Sausage Muncher

Worksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is here
Quote:

Having 367 people in a room wouldn’t give you a 100% chance of matching your birthday

Edit - beaten to it !
Old 13-01-2018, 08:51 AM

Away came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worksop Palace View Post
Having 367 people in a room wouldn’t give you a 100% chance of matching your birthday

Edit - beaten to it !

The original problem was any two the same, not someone else the same as you which is a) very different and b) the way we intuit the (wrong) answer.
Old 13-01-2018, 08:55 AM
Tomato Sausage Muncher

Worksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Away View Post
The original problem was any two the same, not someone else the same as you which is a) very different and b) the way we intuit the (wrong) answer.
That, my friend, is a fair and valid point
Old 19-02-2018, 04:57 AM

Finbar : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFinbar : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFinbar : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFinbar : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFinbar : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFinbar : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFinbar : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFinbar : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFinbar : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFinbar : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFinbar : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Remember reading this at the time, World Cup squads are perfect as there are 23 players in each one, in the 2014 the number of teams with 2 or more players with the same birthday was indeed 50%, I'm the same as you I just can't believe it would actually work out but seemingly it does

Here is the article and the proof

Quote:

Old 03-03-2018, 05:28 PM

Louis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finbar View Post
Remember reading this at the time, World Cup squads are perfect as there are 23 players in each one, in the 2014 the number of teams with 2 or more players with the same birthday was indeed 50%, I'm the same as you I just can't believe it would actually work out but seemingly it does

Here is the article and the proof

Good article to illustrate and explain it
Old 01-07-2018, 09:14 PM
Panty Organizer

Funk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is here
Since I didn't see an article related to the birthday stats of this year's World Cup squads, I did it myself. Of the 32 teams, 16 have two players with the same birthday. Poland takes the title with 4 sets of players with the same birthday. (all different ages, though) Portugal has three sets of players and Morocco and Brazil have two sets of players with the same birthday.