Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Other Sport » World of Sport

Notices

World of Sport Discuss all other sport. Includes betting and gambling threads.

Old 20-02-2018, 03:57 PM

cantspell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcantspell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcantspell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcantspell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcantspell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcantspell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcantspell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcantspell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcantspell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcantspell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcantspell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I am entered for reading half; Cranleigh 21 and London marathon.
Old 20-02-2018, 04:20 PM

cantspell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcantspell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcantspell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcantspell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcantspell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcantspell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcantspell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcantspell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcantspell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcantspell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcantspell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by gambler View Post
Thanks, yes i've already had a week out early on in my training with knee pain. Came directly after a week where i'd had a big increase in mileage, so have learned that lesson.

After my half marathon time, i immediately had someone tell me i could do under 4 hours for the marathon! No, i'll just run what run i run thanks, its my first time. I've got an average pace in mind i'd like to keep to, but i know on the day all sorts of distractions and events will be affecting me. As you say, i just want to get round and enjoy it.

A little more - did my 1st marathon in October and plan was to finish see how the training went and what the day was like and then decide whether I wanted to do another. However I won a place at London a few days before Dublin!

I was injured last year and couldn’t really start training until about 3 months before Dublin. Worse was training on my own as whilst there club I run with have a very good spring marathon training program, there isn’t anything similar in the autumn.

I am finding it so much easier with the long Sunday runs planned by the club followed by around a 2 hr Wednesday run and something shorter in between such as a parkrun or similar. I don’t have to plan my runs as that’s done for me.

I would recommend running with others if you can in your training. Join a club if you can as you can tap into others expertise and you’ll benefit from the encouragement.

I’m up to about 19 miles and about 4 weeks ahead of my Dublin training. This time I am not worried about finishing as I’ve the confidence from the Dublin marathon. I’m just hoping for a pb. However aiming for a sub 4hr marathon with your half time is going to be a very tough ask.

Taking drinks on board during the 1st marathon is something I got totally wrong by taking in far too much liquid.I’ll be taking a couple of sips every now and again next time. Instead of using gels I am having bananas during my runs although I can only seem to carry 2 easily and may take a gel in the last 30 mins or so to get home. Key here is to practice during the training and each person will be different.

Rest and cross training are important for me and I deal with the aches and pains by getting myself to the pool sauna or jacuzzi the same or next day after a long run.

Another thing I do to ensure I can keep on my feet for some time is to do something like food shopping after the long run just to ensure I get over 4 hrs on my feet as that’s is what will be needed on the day.

Good luck and hope some of that is useful
Old 21-02-2018, 05:13 PM

tomario : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetomario : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetomario : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetomario : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetomario : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetomario : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetomario : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetomario : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetomario : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetomario : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetomario : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle mart View Post
Qualified on good for age, but swerved paying for it and opting for the Styning Stinger Marathon on the same weekend.

Not seen you since we both had horrendous Paddock wood halves. You spent most of your time limping back to the start didn't you? My legs just blew up on that one and refused to run.
qualified for the big half from my half marathon in Bristol, in 2016 and managed to pay only £20 to enter, a bargin, and should be on for 82 minutes hopefully.

As for Paddock wood, that was horrible, pulled my hamstring at 5 miles and a long painful walk back to the finish.

Sounds like a tough marathon you have chosen
Old 21-02-2018, 05:16 PM

tomario : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetomario : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetomario : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetomario : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetomario : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetomario : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetomario : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetomario : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetomario : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetomario : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetomario : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by che12345 View Post
Big Half yes, albeit hopefully only as a marathon paced training run.

Nationals, hell no! I hate cross country! I'll be doing the (hopefully correct distance) Brighton Half the day after, which weather permitting I will be racing.
Cross Country, especially at Parliament Hill fields is tough, but really good for endurance.

Hopefully the wind wont be to brutal at the Brighton half for you
Old 22-02-2018, 01:57 PM

eagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomario View Post

Sounds like a tough marathon you have chosen
Now full-up - before I booked my place. Looks like I might go on out over the north downs instead.
Old 22-02-2018, 02:16 PM

mole knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!mole knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!mole knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!mole knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!mole knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!mole knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!mole knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!mole knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!mole knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!mole knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!mole knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!
Am heading out to Benidorm next weekend to do the half marathon. Sounds a good flat and cheap run. Wonder if I will get a mobility scooter as a reward!
Old 23-02-2018, 12:13 PM

Good luck mole
Old 04-03-2018, 01:23 PM
People are People

firesign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is here
"We run, not because we think it is doing us good, but because we enjoy it and cannot help ourselves…The more restricted our society and work become, the more necessary it will be to find some outlet for this craving for freedom. No one can say, ‘You must not run faster than this, or jump higher than that.’ The human spirit is indomitable."

Sir Roger Bannister (23.03.29 - 04.03.18)
Old 04-03-2018, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firesign View Post
"We run, not because we think it is doing us good, but because we enjoy it and cannot help ourselves…The more restricted our society and work become, the more necessary it will be to find some outlet for this craving for freedom. No one can say, ‘You must not run faster than this, or jump higher than that.’ The human spirit is indomitable."

Sir Roger Bannister (23.03.29 - 04.03.18)

RIP
Old 05-03-2018, 02:09 PM

eagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is here
Did the Steyning Stinger marathon yesterday over the South Downs. You wont find too many marathons harder than that one! A fellow runner said it was worse than Beachy head marathon, and apparently this year it was the muddiest its ever been.

That was my first training run over 19miles. Ha. Obviously died through lack of conditioning towards the end but it was a few hours on my feet in the bank.

Oh, and I passed two Brighton fans who happened to be talking about Palace dropping into the bottom three. I was going to swerve any football talk, until they said that we hope that we concede a few tonight. At that point I gave a clenched fist and an 'up the palace' before moving on past.
Old 06-03-2018, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle mart View Post
Did the Steyning Stinger marathon yesterday over the South Downs. You wont find too many marathons harder than that one! A fellow runner said it was worse than Beachy head marathon, and apparently this year it was the muddiest its ever been.

That was my first training run over 19miles. Ha. Obviously died through lack of conditioning towards the end but it was a few hours on my feet in the bank.

Oh, and I passed two Brighton fans who happened to be talking about Palace dropping into the bottom three. I was going to swerve any football talk, until they said that we hope that we concede a few tonight. At that point I gave a clenched fist and an 'up the palace' before moving on past.

You must have been pleased Martin having come back from injury- heard it was tough and well done for the clenched fist
Old 09-03-2018, 05:43 PM

Bipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is here
I managed to keep on going through the rather unpleasant weather brought into this part of rural Lincolnshire by the beast from the east. Today was a much brighter spring morning and I was able for the first time to complete a five mile run without stops. The second half of the route includes a rather punishing steady climb of around 100 feet spread across three quarters of a mile which I plodded on through. Total run time 50 minutes which I am quite happy with, medium term aim is now to get that done to something like 45 minutes.

A couple of noticeable physical improvements. First, I am huffing and puffing less than I was a couple of months back when I started out, and finding that I'm able to maintain a much more moderated breathing pattern. I assume this is indicative of some benefits to lung capacity. Second, I am experiencing less pain in my knee and ankle joints which again presumably just reflects steady build up of muscle strength.

Getting to the stage now where I think it's worthwhile investing in a decent pair of running shoes - so far I have been heading out in my Adidas Copa Mundial AstroTurf trainers which are comfortable enough but not built for long distance running and I think something which gives a bit more spring and protection in the sole might be good. Are there any recommendations as to what might be good options to consider?
Old 10-03-2018, 08:17 PM

immoralgiant : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimmoralgiant : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimmoralgiant : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimmoralgiant : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimmoralgiant : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimmoralgiant : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimmoralgiant : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimmoralgiant : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimmoralgiant : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimmoralgiant : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimmoralgiant : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Find a pair that are comfortable. Everyone has their own preference and different shaped feet.
Old 29-03-2018, 01:13 PM

che12345 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineche12345 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineche12345 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineche12345 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineche12345 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineche12345 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineche12345 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineche12345 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineche12345 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineche12345 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineche12345 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
It's been suspiciously quiet on this thread in recent weeks....

Everyone in marathon training then :-)

For those doing London at least the taper can start soon. Those doing Manchester/Brighton should already be tapering I assume.
Old 29-03-2018, 01:20 PM

Yes. I've gone seven months of nothing, to 22miles (plus that long slog over the south downs) since December. And I'm feeling it. First marathon in ten days, second one is London two weeks later.

Had a 4 day break from my 22 along the Thames Path on Sunday, and legs still feel really heavy. Wondering whether to attempt to even run at all between now and the 8th. I'll be able to do it, but don't feel conditioned to 'race' it at all.
Old 29-03-2018, 01:22 PM

CamberleyEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCamberleyEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCamberleyEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCamberleyEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCamberleyEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCamberleyEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCamberleyEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCamberleyEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCamberleyEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCamberleyEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCamberleyEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I'm doing Brighton but am way behind plan due to injuries, chest infection and snow. Other than three halves my only long run has been a 17m last weekend. Tomorrow morning I'm doing 22m early and that's the last long one.

It's been frustrating but I'm not setting myself a time target on the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by che12345 View Post
It's been suspiciously quiet on this thread in recent weeks....

Everyone in marathon training then :-)

For those doing London at least the taper can start soon. Those doing Manchester/Brighton should already be tapering I assume.
Old 29-03-2018, 02:32 PM

adrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is here
Best of luck to all you marathoner's
Old 29-03-2018, 03:26 PM
Make things happen

furzy85 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minefurzy85 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minefurzy85 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minefurzy85 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minefurzy85 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minefurzy85 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minefurzy85 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minefurzy85 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minefurzy85 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minefurzy85 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minefurzy85 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Ran the Barcelona marathon a couple of weeks back, got a new pb at 3:57:59, also first time under 4hrs so im pretty happy with that.. though i think its still well outside what i should be capable of given my half pb is 1.37. Have always found between km's 30-38 to be such a struggle

Marathon itself was well organised (apart from the lack of toilets & toilet paper before the race) , well supported and the temp was a pretty good 14/15 degrees. Went past the main landmarks of Nou Camp, Sagrada Familia, Casa Batllo etc.

Good luck to all those running Brighton (beware the powerstation section!) and London!
Old 29-03-2018, 03:53 PM

immoralgiant : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimmoralgiant : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimmoralgiant : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimmoralgiant : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimmoralgiant : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimmoralgiant : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimmoralgiant : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimmoralgiant : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimmoralgiant : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimmoralgiant : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimmoralgiant : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I paced at the London Landmarks Half Marathon last week. Tall buildings and narrow streets with lots of U-turns caused havoc with GPS, was supposed to be pacing 2:45:00 and got over the line with 2:45:53 so all in all not that bad.

Organisation was excellent, especially for a first time for the race, with the exception of the start. Everyone was put in to waves to ease congestion (~10,000 runners), the pacers were to be spread out between the waves but the pacers overlapped across the waves so a 2:00 pacer was at the back of wave 3, wave 4 had 1:45, 2:00, 2:15 pacers which confused people. There weren't any pens for the waves so it was a free for all. Loads of people who should have been in the last wave with me left in the first couple of waves which meant I was starting 30-40 mins behind them. By the time our wave left there were hardly any runners left as they were already out on the course.
Old 29-03-2018, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamberleyEagle View Post
I'm doing Brighton but am way behind plan due to injuries, chest infection and snow. Other than three halves my only long run has been a 17m last weekend. Tomorrow morning I'm doing 22m early and that's the last long one.

It's been frustrating but I'm not setting myself a time target on the day.
I feel your pain, am doing Brighton as well, and have been struggling with an achilles problem for the past couple of weeks, though giving it a test tomorrow at the Maidenhead 10 miler.