Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Crystal Palace Football Club Transfer Hotline

Notices

Transfer Hotline Latest transfer news, rumours and suggestions for new Palace players. Includes outgoing transfers and news on released players.

Old 24-07-2018, 01:26 PM

Pete79 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPete79 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPete79 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPete79 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPete79 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPete79 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPete79 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPete79 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPete79 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPete79 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPete79 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuieJack View Post
Why cant you ever hold your hand up and concede? yes i appreciate we all have our views, but you seem to argue for the sake of it regardless.
What Mr Palace has said is most likely right, he is judging on what he has seen to date of other clubs strengthening their squads but also very importantly within their budgets, whilst we have infact have weakened ours. Not much to disagree with there surely?
How are you questioning the signings made by these other teams, when in fact Roy Hodgson since taking over has only been allowed to bring in what i would describe as Three sub standard signings in January, you can but only feel sorry for the man under these circumstances. As for us our signings to date this season is simply a goalkeeper on a free, and lets not forget the squad has been considerably further weakened with the loss of Two vital players, along with other squad members moving on, how on earth is RH supposed to compete in what is going to be a very competitive league.
Yes that may well change before the window shuts so it would be wrong to pre judge the Board's intentions just yet, but what you are judging is the business that has been done to date by other clubs who will we assume be in the relegation mix come May, of which Palace are certain to be of of them should we not bring in much needed improvement of the squad.
We can only avoid the trap door for so long.
Are you suggesting that club's who have made a number of signings must necessarily be improving their team relative to Palace who have only made 1 signing?

If so it isn't really true. Each new players brings the potential to weaken as well as strenghen a squad. The more players bought the greater the potential for it to go wrong. For example, Stoke bought in 12 players last year and the view on the BBS was that they'ed done good business. But as we know it all went wrong for them and by the end their squad was a shambles on and off the pitch. The team's who have spent a lot of money (Wolve's, West Ham) are taking a risk.

And the correct comparison for our squad is to compare it to this time last season. Since then we've bought in Sorloth, Gueita and Hodgson whilst AWB has emerged, some other young players have developed further and Wickham and Souare are closer to fitness. We've also removed some 'deadwood' from the squad. We have amongst the most continuity of any PL team in terms of returning the same key players and their having had a good rest over the summer. We're stronger than this time last season and are 2 or 3 players away from being much stronger than we were when we finished last season.
Old 24-07-2018, 01:34 PM
South Penge Massive

elgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is here
We need to replace Cabaye, Sako and RLC with better players, and then hope the other 4 we have lost can be replaced with returning loanees and youth. If we don't suffer the same injury crisis as last season and keep Wilf we should be OK. At least we still have the expensive loan slots free still, and there's no way Benteke will only score 3 next season.
Old 24-07-2018, 01:35 PM
Banned by Moderators

Robert Sole : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRobert Sole : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRobert Sole : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRobert Sole : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRobert Sole : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRobert Sole : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRobert Sole : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRobert Sole : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRobert Sole : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRobert Sole : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRobert Sole : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete79 View Post
And the correct comparison for our squad is to compare it to this time last season. Since then we've bought in Sorloth, Gueita and Hodgson whilst AWB has emerged, some other young players have developed further and Wickham and Souare are closer to fitness. We've also removed some 'deadwood' from the squad. We have amongst the most continuity of any PL team in terms of returning the same key players and their having had a good rest over the summer. We're stronger than this time last season and are 2 or 3 players away from being much stronger than we were when we finished last season.
Utter cobblers. We are 2 very good players away from maintaining parity to where we finished last season let alone improving our threadbare midfield/wide options from the bench which will need a couple more on top of that.
Old 24-07-2018, 01:43 PM

GB2506 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGB2506 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGB2506 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGB2506 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGB2506 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGB2506 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGB2506 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGB2506 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGB2506 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGB2506 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGB2506 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by mushroom View Post
No.
What you said is exactly how we played last season. Wilf upfront but with Townsend because Benteke was in awful form, 4 very narrow midfielders, Luka, Yohan, McArthur, RLC (all of which are central players), the full backs gave us width (lead to PvA getting forward and scoring quite a few).
Old 24-07-2018, 01:45 PM

GB2506 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGB2506 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGB2506 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGB2506 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGB2506 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGB2506 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGB2506 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGB2506 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGB2506 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGB2506 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGB2506 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgin eagle View Post
We need to replace Cabaye, Sako and RLC with better players, and then hope the other 4 we have lost can be replaced with returning loanees and youth. If we don't suffer the same injury crisis as last season and keep Wilf we should be OK. At least we still have the expensive loan slots free still, and there's no way Benteke will only score 3 next season.
Agree with this. Those 3 players need replacing with players of equal, ideally better ability. Then hope that Kai Kai, JW and Kirby can force their way into Roys plans and put a shift in when needed
Old 24-07-2018, 01:46 PM

cpfcfan1 Sam the man is herecpfcfan1 Sam the man is herecpfcfan1 Sam the man is herecpfcfan1 Sam the man is herecpfcfan1 Sam the man is herecpfcfan1 Sam the man is herecpfcfan1 Sam the man is herecpfcfan1 Sam the man is herecpfcfan1 Sam the man is herecpfcfan1 Sam the man is herecpfcfan1 Sam the man is here
I'm quietly confident we are working on getting the right people in for the right price.

The closer it gets the more worrying it gets though
Old 24-07-2018, 01:47 PM
sleep chaser

mushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is here
Quote:

Cabaye and RLC are gonna be very hard to replace. I think were gonna realise how good Cabaye was for us, now he has gone.
My hope is CW can replace Sako (who was played upfront). We buy one quality midfielder get one other on loan, then use our other loan place for a pacy striker... to replace Wilf when he invariably (sp) gets the snot kicked outta him by slow centre backs.
Old 24-07-2018, 01:51 PM
sleep chaser

mushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB2506 View Post
Agree with this. Those 3 players need replacing with players of equal, ideally better ability. Then hope that Kai Kai, JW and Kirby can force their way into Roys plans and put a shift in when needed

I think Kai-Kai will be used in Cup games... come off bench in games were comfortably winning. JW will play a bigger part... I think he fits RHs system... he can play anywhere across the midfield, or even behind a striker (if were gonna play a No10). Kirby... Ive not seen enough of, although I did see him bottle a few challenges for u23s
Old 24-07-2018, 01:51 PM
The Bringer of Joy

Stellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is here
Quote:
Are you suggesting that club's who have made a number of signings must necessarily be improving their team relative to Palace who have only made 1 signing?

If so it isn't really true. Each new players brings the potential to weaken as well as strenghen a squad. The more players bought the greater the potential for it to go wrong. For example, Stoke bought in 12 players last year and the view on the BBS was that they'ed done good business. But as we know it all went wrong for them and by the end their squad was a shambles on and off the pitch. The team's who have spent a lot of money (Wolve's, West Ham) are taking a risk.

Good God. Are they double-glazed rose tinted glasses?
Old 24-07-2018, 01:57 PM

GreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuieJack View Post
Why cant you ever hold your hand up and concede? yes i appreciate we all have our views, but you seem to argue for the sake of it regardless.
Concede that i believe they have improved their teams/squads when i truly don't think that is the case? Is that how debate works?

As Mr Palace said he has not looked into the players very much. I have had a look at them and if they had been signed by Palace there would not have been much excitement on these boards in many of them.

How many of the players signed by clubs in the lower half of the table last year (excluding West Ham who i have conceded have bought some very good players) would you have wanted Palace to sign?
Old 24-07-2018, 01:59 PM
South Penge Massive

elgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by mushroom View Post
Cabaye and RLC are gonna be very hard to replace. I think were gonna realise how good Cabaye was for us, now he has gone.
My hope is CW can replace Sako (who was played upfront). We buy one quality midfielder get one other on loan, then use our other loan place for a pacy striker... to replace Wilf when he invariably (sp) gets the snot kicked outta him by slow centre backs.
Yeah, definitely not going to be easy. Much to do still.
Old 24-07-2018, 02:03 PM

RisZero Sam the man is hereRisZero Sam the man is hereRisZero Sam the man is hereRisZero Sam the man is hereRisZero Sam the man is hereRisZero Sam the man is hereRisZero Sam the man is hereRisZero Sam the man is hereRisZero Sam the man is hereRisZero Sam the man is hereRisZero Sam the man is here
Im not sure JW could force his way into his kit without breaking something, let alone Roys plans
Old 24-07-2018, 02:07 PM

Pete79 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPete79 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPete79 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPete79 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPete79 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPete79 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPete79 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPete79 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPete79 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPete79 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPete79 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Sole View Post
Utter cobblers. We are 2 very good players away from maintaining parity to where we finished last season let alone improving our threadbare midfield/wide options from the bench which will need a couple more on top of that.
That's not true. Add 2 or 3 more players (e.g. RLC + another CM and another wide midfielder) and we're improved on the basis of now having signed Guaita, the continued development of a number of young players, others returned from injury and a pre season under Hodgson.

Buying new players isn't the only way to improve a squad.
Old 24-07-2018, 02:07 PM
The Bringer of Joy

Stellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by RisZero View Post
Im not sure JW could force his way into his kit without breaking something, let alone Roys plans
For most of us, I think we are hopeful in spite of the evidence.
Old 24-07-2018, 02:09 PM

GreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is here
Quote:

Absolutely.

It is also the case that only 17 outfield players played more than 15% of the available time. Of those we have lost TFM, RLC, Cabaye and not yet replaced them. 83% of all minutes played last season were by players still with us. The work we need to do is not massive when you consider that team should have finished top half. That against a backdrop of a huge injury list and a misfiring striker.

TFM played almost half his time as a CB and we look short of some cover there but AWB has emerged to cover the RB option. We need to increase options at CM and LM, and we are likely to do so. Does anyone truly believe we will not sign anyone at all?

We don't need to look at a 25 man squad we need to look at the 17-20 outfield players who will play 95% of the minutes on the pitch. Of that we have 16-17 already here.

Quality over quantity needs to be the philosophy this window!
Old 24-07-2018, 02:09 PM
The Bringer of Joy

Quote:
That's not true. Add 2 or 3 more players (e.g. RLC + another CM and another wide midfielder) and we're improved on the basis of now having signed Guaita, the continued development of a number of young players, others returned from injury and a pre season under Hodgson.

Buying new players isn't the only way to improve a squad.
We don't have any young players you could honestly see stepping into the first team this season. At best, we could have a young and inexperienced bench.
Old 24-07-2018, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Sako was replaced the day after his injury.
Old 24-07-2018, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellavista View Post
Good God. Are they double-glazed rose tinted glasses?
Yes

They're great for seeing past all the pant wetting on the BBS.
Old 24-07-2018, 02:15 PM
South Penge Massive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatGonzo View Post
Sako was replaced the day after his injury.
And what has his replacement contributed so far? The square root of feck all, like all the others acquired in that pointless transfer window.

Cabaye, Sako, and RLC need replacing, with better players.
Old 24-07-2018, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellavista View Post
We don't have any young players you could honestly see stepping into the first team this season. At best, we could have a young and inexperienced bench.
AWB and Sorloth should be contending for the first 11. Lokilo, Lumeka, Jach and Kirby should aim to compete as substitutes. Can't be much worse than having Mutch, Lee, Delaney and Sako on the bench. I except that Sako played well recently but his return on 3 years was very poor.

These players clearly need to improve - which is the job of the coaching staff. In the absence of established PL players Roy's coaches need to make these players good enough to contribute on occasion. I'm sure that's exactly what they're doing.