Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:46 AM
Shefki Kuqi fan

ChaceTheAce : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChaceTheAce : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChaceTheAce : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChaceTheAce : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChaceTheAce : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChaceTheAce : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChaceTheAce : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChaceTheAce : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChaceTheAce : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChaceTheAce : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChaceTheAce : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Ward is better overall.

Because they're chocolate biscuits.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:48 AM
Woah Woah Woah

gilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek View Post
It's rare I disagree with PK about mid 80s to mid 90s Palace, but whilst Humphrey was good, I don't think he was that good. In fact, I think over our history (pre 2004), right back has been one of our weaker positions (for example, I'd say Sansom, Shaw, Cole and Gordon were all better at left back than any of our right backs over the same period). However, in more recent years we've seen a marked upturn - with Boyce, Clyne and now (if he carries on like he's been playing) Ward.
We've had a long list of good right backs from what I can remember. Humphrey was very good as PK says, I always really liked Edworthy & was gutted when he was sold, Danny Butts is one of my favourites of all time - Mr Consistent & immense in the 2003/04 season, Boyce was superb, etc. So I don't really agree that it's been one of our weaker positions...I even missed out Jamie Smith as I don't think he's as good as the others listed (although he was decent).

Clyney was class & we produced him. Ward is just superb - consistent & a great professional. The difference i'd say is it looked so easy & natural to Nathaniel. Ward on the other hand, it looks like he's worked at everything to get where he is now - which is a credit to him. I can't call it between either, but we've been very lucky to have 2 such great players play at RB over the last few years.

Last edited by gilesy14; 04-09-2013 at 11:54 AM.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:52 AM
Regretting my username

stinky Sam the man is herestinky Sam the man is herestinky Sam the man is herestinky Sam the man is herestinky Sam the man is herestinky Sam the man is herestinky Sam the man is herestinky Sam the man is herestinky Sam the man is herestinky Sam the man is herestinky Sam the man is here
I didn't realise until he walked past me the other day how tall Ward is. He's 6ft 2. Clyne is 5ft 8. I think that's something in Ward's favour, especially when it comes to corners.

For me it's extremely close. Clyne was pure class for us, but Ward's performances are showing he's got what it takes to be even better.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:55 AM
sleep chaser

mushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is here
Ward will earn this club a lot of money
Old 04-09-2013, 12:31 PM

Crunchie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCrunchie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCrunchie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCrunchie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCrunchie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCrunchie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCrunchie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCrunchie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCrunchie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCrunchie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCrunchie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
It's rare I disagree with PK about mid 80s to mid 90s Palace, but whilst Humphrey was good, I don't think he was that good. In fact, I think over our history (pre 2004), right back has been one of our weaker positions (for example, I'd say Sansom, Shaw, Cole and Gordon were all better at left back than any of our right backs over the same period). However, in more recent years we've seen a marked upturn - with Boyce, Clyne and now (if he carries on like he's been playing) Ward.
We had Gary Stebbing far too long

Ward shades it for me.

Clyne has raw talent, is quick, can bomb down the right going forward, and his speed can get him out of trouble, and get in his "last ditch tackle".

Ward is more assured. Is much better at his positional play, better self awareness, and links up with others going forward much better (no blind alleys). Both were great tacklers, and the only thing Ward hasn't got is the pace to make up for any mistakes, but then he makes alot less than Clyne did.

The way Ward knew his position and calmly clearing off the line at the end of the play off final, speaks volumes.

I think the Humphrey (Ward) and Pembo (Clyne) comparison, sums it up well for me.

Ward is maybe a times less exciting , but is a much better all round right back.

Last edited by Crunchie; 04-09-2013 at 12:33 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:01 PM
Cato the Elder

SamuelCPFC : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSamuelCPFC : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSamuelCPFC : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSamuelCPFC : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSamuelCPFC : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSamuelCPFC : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSamuelCPFC : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSamuelCPFC : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSamuelCPFC : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSamuelCPFC : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSamuelCPFC : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Clyne is slightly better in my eyes, but Ward is class.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:58 PM
Adult Member

David of Kent Sam the man is hereDavid of Kent Sam the man is hereDavid of Kent Sam the man is hereDavid of Kent Sam the man is hereDavid of Kent Sam the man is hereDavid of Kent Sam the man is hereDavid of Kent Sam the man is hereDavid of Kent Sam the man is hereDavid of Kent Sam the man is hereDavid of Kent Sam the man is hereDavid of Kent Sam the man is here
Talking of previous right backs (off tangent I know), Tony Finnigan was just about the most inconsistent I saw there. One week he'd be magnificent, the next week he couldn't do anything at all right. He'd go from class to sunday league level from one week to the next
The darkest moments of our lives are not to be buried and forgotten, rather they are a memory to be called upon for inspiration to remind us of the unrelenting human spirit and our capacity to overcome the intolerable.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:12 PM
Putting on an iron shirt

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
He was a bit out of position there, really. Should have been what we used to call a right half.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:21 PM

Chris of Beckenham knows where the wild roses growChris of Beckenham knows where the wild roses growChris of Beckenham knows where the wild roses growChris of Beckenham knows where the wild roses growChris of Beckenham knows where the wild roses growChris of Beckenham knows where the wild roses growChris of Beckenham knows where the wild roses growChris of Beckenham knows where the wild roses growChris of Beckenham knows where the wild roses growChris of Beckenham knows where the wild roses growChris of Beckenham knows where the wild roses grow
I do think we may have forgotten how good Clyne was, but for me Ward has lived up to all the hype and expectation of people down here in West Sussex where he comes from, as he was touted at Pompey as future England player and if he can carry on as he is and the team can show some form, I am sure it will come soon.
Hard to see how Hunt will get a look in if Ward stays fit.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:40 PM

cranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is here
Over the piece we've had some poor ones but a few damn good right backs.

John Humphrey was not the adventurous type but bear in mind he was past 30 and holding his own in the top flight, rarely ever getting skinned I rate him highly, He was ahead of his time in that he liked to stay on his feet and time his tackles rather than hurling himself in. His passing was neat and simple recognizing that the more creative work was done further up the pitch. Butts was possibly not as good a defender but much more creative than Humphrey. I saw him destroy us when playing at Grimsby the season before and thought we'd bought a right midfielder when he arrived the next season. Strange the goals dried up till that famous cup tie hattrick. He was well capable, Under Dowie he hit a screamer of a volley against Gillingham. Not a lot to choose between Ward and Clyne but may be we should note that Ward is older than Clyne when we had him. I just remember his debut when I think every one went from Nathaniel who to wow , what a player long before the 90 minutes was up. Both a bit quicker than the other two, I think we've seen Ward as a more consistent defender but possibly only because we had Clyne as a teenager. We may only be able to judge if Nathaniel plays against us this season. Ward is well capable of the killer cross( Derby ? last season.) Clyne linked up well
Old 04-09-2013, 03:57 PM

MAX came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMAX came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMAX came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMAX came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMAX came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMAX came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMAX came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMAX came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMAX came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMAX came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMAX came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Was never a great fan of Clyne, very good player but nothing really special.
Will always struggle due to his height and too many times he simply put his head down and thumped the ball up field.
Ward is better and will continue to improve.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:36 PM
Lovely

brighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
If we had both at the moment, Clyne would be playing left back.
Wow. Imagine that. Although the Mox has been excellent so far this season.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:37 PM
Lovely

brighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is here
It would be Ward for me, just. As others have said, he's a better defender and will make the England squad this season.

Clyne was very good at losing the ball and then making saving tackles, which looked great, but he shouldn't have got himself in that position in the first place. Good player, but I think Ward is different class.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:43 PM

andyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is here
Ward is our most improved player IMHO. £400k on a 4 year deal was astounding business in anyone's language.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:03 PM
Supporting Palace away

Eagle's Away Sam the man is hereEagle's Away Sam the man is hereEagle's Away Sam the man is hereEagle's Away Sam the man is hereEagle's Away Sam the man is hereEagle's Away Sam the man is hereEagle's Away Sam the man is hereEagle's Away Sam the man is hereEagle's Away Sam the man is hereEagle's Away Sam the man is hereEagle's Away Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyocpfc View Post
Ward is our most improved player IMHO. £400k on a 4 year deal was astounding business in anyone's language.
Jeez - how quickly you forget. £400k was a fantastic deal!

Thought Clyne was class and remembered people on this site thinking we would really suffer without him but Ward has been outstanding.
I think we have yet to see the best of him. Once he gets a consistent relationship with the players on that side of the pitch and they learn to track back and cover him he could yet be more threatening go forward
Old 04-09-2013, 05:08 PM
Fresh Vince of Hilaire

Psychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is here
Quote:
This surprises me. Even though he was getting on a bit I'm convinced we'd have stayed up in 94-95 had Humphrey been given his place back earlier. Remember, Smith tried Pitcher (a midfielder) there first, then Patterson (a centre back from Wigan signed by Steve Coppell who didn't make a single first team appearance for two years after signing) and both were completely inadequate. When Humphrey and Young were brought back at the end of that season, along with the signings of Dowie and Houghton, we started looking like a half decent side again. Sadly it was too late. And that is why Alan Smith is an arsehole.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:12 PM

Braders Sam the man is hereBraders Sam the man is hereBraders Sam the man is hereBraders Sam the man is hereBraders Sam the man is hereBraders Sam the man is hereBraders Sam the man is hereBraders Sam the man is hereBraders Sam the man is hereBraders Sam the man is hereBraders Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychokiller View Post
I loved Pembo but Humphrey was absolute class and most definitely an upgrade. Should've played for England and was on standby on a couple of occasions.
John Pemberton and John Humphrey both great Palace full backs..........back to the question Joel Ward for me been fantastic so far this season and can see him definitely getting his England call up soon.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:42 PM

joecpfc1 knocked on the bar and pointed to a bottle on the shelfjoecpfc1 knocked on the bar and pointed to a bottle on the shelfjoecpfc1 knocked on the bar and pointed to a bottle on the shelfjoecpfc1 knocked on the bar and pointed to a bottle on the shelfjoecpfc1 knocked on the bar and pointed to a bottle on the shelfjoecpfc1 knocked on the bar and pointed to a bottle on the shelfjoecpfc1 knocked on the bar and pointed to a bottle on the shelfjoecpfc1 knocked on the bar and pointed to a bottle on the shelfjoecpfc1 knocked on the bar and pointed to a bottle on the shelfjoecpfc1 knocked on the bar and pointed to a bottle on the shelfjoecpfc1 knocked on the bar and pointed to a bottle on the shelf
I think ward can play centre back to
Old 04-09-2013, 06:00 PM

Selhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is here
Best Palace right back? Wayne Carlisle.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:05 PM
Zuffenhausen

917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here
Quote:
Amazed, Humphrey is easily our best all time right back, IMO

Far better than Boyce and better than Clyne, and Ward, currently at least