Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 22-03-2014, 12:27 PM

sl6 Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsl6 Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsl6 Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsl6 Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsl6 Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsl6 Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsl6 Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsl6 Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsl6 Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsl6 Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsl6 Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
It is mind numbing boring tactics at the moment but IF we can stay up by that route this season then that's great. I'm sure Pulis will build a more attack minded squad and mindset next season if can survive this season. We will no longer be the new boys in the league and have a few quid behind us as well. We have 9 games to save our season lets just get behind all at the club and pray we stay up.
Old 22-03-2014, 12:27 PM

eagle-leg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagle-leg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagle-leg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagle-leg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagle-leg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagle-leg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagle-leg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagle-leg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagle-leg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagle-leg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagle-leg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Personally, I feel that we are more likely to go for a win today than we were against Sunderland.

I do feel that Pulis felt that we could not afford for Sunderland to leapfrog us in the table, and going for it against Sunderland could have left us exposed to this.

You've seen all the moaning from the Sunderland players about our attacking intent; the reason being is that a draw hurt them far more than it hurt us.

We have less to lose today.
Old 22-03-2014, 12:28 PM

mb23 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmb23 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmb23 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmb23 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmb23 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmb23 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmb23 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmb23 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmb23 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmb23 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmb23 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Yes Jedinak and KG have been awful passers. However take them out of the side (or even only one of them out of the side) and replace them with people who can pass the ball but are too lightweight and all of the sudden the defense is exposed and we start letting in more goals.

I know we could have proably beaten Sunderland if we showed more attacking intent, but if the only way we can get players who can pass into the team would be to take away our solid (if unspectacular) foundations, leading to the chance of conceding more than we score, then I wouldn't be happy.

As someone said earlier, I'd hate it if we started scoring but as a direct result started conceding more too. I'd take a boring 0-0 draw any day than playing better offensively, scoring goals, but always having a chance conceding a goal in the last minute to lose. And even with the attacking players Pulis is leaving out, there's no guarantee they would win us games anyway (a la Holloway).

LLCOOLSTEVE Sam the man is hereLLCOOLSTEVE Sam the man is hereLLCOOLSTEVE Sam the man is hereLLCOOLSTEVE Sam the man is hereLLCOOLSTEVE Sam the man is hereLLCOOLSTEVE Sam the man is hereLLCOOLSTEVE Sam the man is hereLLCOOLSTEVE Sam the man is hereLLCOOLSTEVE Sam the man is hereLLCOOLSTEVE Sam the man is hereLLCOOLSTEVE Sam the man is here
I think we have a better chance of winning today than we did last week
Jolene Jolene Jolene...

Woosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arron View Post
There are no tactics that would guarantee our staying up, but these tactics give us what I believe is our best shot. Leaving ourselves too open would see us getting beaten heavily most weekends.

The last few weeks have seen a dip in form that's true but before then the very same tactics saw us move up the table from the dire situation we were in when Holloway left. I still think we'll do it but it may be a close run thing.
I don't agree, I believe the tactics that saw us move up the table were different. We weren't playing it in the air to Chamakh all the time, we were actually passing through midfield a little, we were direct, but not one dimensional which we are now. We utilised the wings a little, but now we're too focussed on defending to allow any players to express themselves. Creativity has been stifled. Bolasie at Swansea is the perfect example. Second half he was allowed to go for it more and look what happened, we absolutely crucified them.

I think we'll go down if we continue to play like this. In some ways that's not such a bad thing, obviously I want Palace to play at the top but there's a lot of negatives to it. That's not for this thread though.

If we can winter this one out, we can summer anywhere
Old 22-03-2014, 12:29 PM
Who give you extra?

thehalifaxman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietthehalifaxman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietthehalifaxman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietthehalifaxman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietthehalifaxman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietthehalifaxman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietthehalifaxman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietthehalifaxman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietthehalifaxman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietthehalifaxman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietthehalifaxman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I never really get what people describe as pretty football and what makes one type of play more interesting than another. It's all a matter of tastes I suppose but I just like seeing a contest. Of my team can find a way of competing at the highest level then Im pretty chuffed at the thought of it. It bores me to watch Spanish football where one team just passes it round the opposition and totally outclassed them. I was also did not enjoy the games at the start of the season when sides did this to us.

I have however enjoyed all the games we have contested since pulis took over. If some people can't appreciate defensive and counter attacking football that's unfortunate for them as that is how we have played recently. It makes sence for the team with the less capable players to use this tactic. I don't understand the negativity towards it. The players go out there to play the game and try and win it, not to entertain the fans. That's what sport should be about. If you want sport that maximises entertainment but sacrifices the foundations of the game why not try WWF
Old 22-03-2014, 12:30 PM
Jolene Jolene Jolene...

Woosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb23 View Post
Yes Jedinak and KG have been awful passers. However take them out of the side (or even only one of them out of the side) and replace them with people who can pass the ball but are too lightweight and all of the sudden the defense is exposed and we start letting in more goals.

I know we could have proably beaten Sunderland if we showed more attacking intent, but if the only way we can get players who can pass into the team would be to take away our solid (if unspectacular) foundations, leading to the chance of conceding more than we score, then I wouldn't be happy.

As someone said earlier, I'd hate it if we started scoring but as a direct result started conceding more too. I'd take a boring 0-0 draw any day than playing better offensively, scoring goals, but always having a chance conceding a goal in the last minute to lose. And even with the attacking players Pulis is leaving out, there's no guarantee they would win us games anyway (a la Holloway).
Stuart O'Keefe can pass and tackle. He is the realistic option to make a compromise and drop KG or Jedinak, both of whom have been abysmal lately.

Old 22-03-2014, 12:30 PM

eagle-leg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagle-leg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagle-leg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagle-leg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagle-leg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagle-leg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagle-leg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagle-leg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagle-leg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagle-leg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagle-leg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I'm also confident that if we stay up; Pulis will add additional quality to the squad which will mean that we can afford to exert a little extra pressure on teams in the attacking third.

We will never be gung ho.
Old 22-03-2014, 12:31 PM
Banned by Moderators

McpfcS came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMcpfcS came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMcpfcS came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMcpfcS came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMcpfcS came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMcpfcS came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMcpfcS came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMcpfcS came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMcpfcS came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMcpfcS came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMcpfcS came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehalifaxman View Post
I never really get what people describe as pretty football and what makes one type of play more interesting than another. It's all a matter of tastes I suppose but I just like seeing a contest. Of my team can find a way of competing at the highest level then Im pretty chuffed at the thought of it. It bores me to watch Spanish football where one team just passes it round the opposition and totally outclassed them. I was also did not enjoy the games at the start of the season when sides did this to us.

I have however enjoyed all the games we have contested since pulis took over. If some people can't appreciate defensive and counter attacking football that's unfortunate for them as that is how we have played recently. It makes sence for the team with the less capable players to use this tactic. I don't understand the negativity towards it. The players go out there to play the game and try and win it, not to entertain the fans. That's what sport should be about. If you want sport that maximises entertainment but sacrifices the foundations of the game why not try WWF
Excellent post
Old 22-03-2014, 12:34 PM

Jerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is hereJerry Murphy's Fringe Sam the man is here
Yep, back it up just behind Jules and in front of the posts. A big, bendy, double decker one with special netting down to the floor.
Then all eleven stand in front of it with big long pokey sticks to keep the Northern ruffians away.
The team should also be sporting T-Shirts bearing the face of Mr L. Cattermole of the Sun-da-lund, to be displayed at the end of a dour, drab, grating mind numbing 0-0 which takes us one steps closer to safety.

Tactical genius I am.
Old 22-03-2014, 12:37 PM

mb23 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmb23 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmb23 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmb23 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmb23 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmb23 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmb23 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmb23 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmb23 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmb23 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmb23 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woosie View Post
Stuart O'Keefe can pass and tackle. He is the realistic option to make a compromise and drop KG or Jedinak, both of whom have been abysmal lately.
He's yet to show he can do that for 90 minutes against Premier League opposition. I know he hasn't been given the chance, but I do remember a few times last season when he started matches he looked off the pace. Don't get me wrong, I love him and he puts in a huge amount of effort, but I think his role at this level is one to come off the bench and get into oppositions faces as they tire.
Old 22-03-2014, 12:38 PM
Who give you extra?

thehalifaxman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietthehalifaxman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietthehalifaxman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietthehalifaxman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietthehalifaxman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietthehalifaxman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietthehalifaxman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietthehalifaxman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietthehalifaxman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietthehalifaxman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietthehalifaxman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by McpfcS View Post
Excellent post
Less so as was from my phone with a few random added words and autocorrect changing words to the wrong ones but hopefully people get the point I tried to make
Old 22-03-2014, 12:41 PM

Quote:

Agreed. My favourite players over the years have been the ones who have shown grit and determination, a physical presence and a desire to win the ball and put effort in. Players such as Jedinak, Derry, Clint Hill, Michael Hughes, Rhihilati etc.

As much as players such as Wilf, Routledge, Moses etc dazzled me with their skill and pace, they did equally frustrate me when they didn't put in a good shift, something that you could always rely on the aforementioned players to do. I guess the only exception to this rule would be AJ- his role in our promotion and Premiership seasons has probably made him my favourite ever Palace player.
Old 22-03-2014, 12:43 PM

mexicaneagle Sam the man is heremexicaneagle Sam the man is heremexicaneagle Sam the man is heremexicaneagle Sam the man is heremexicaneagle Sam the man is heremexicaneagle Sam the man is heremexicaneagle Sam the man is heremexicaneagle Sam the man is heremexicaneagle Sam the man is heremexicaneagle Sam the man is heremexicaneagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by FraserH View Post
It will be exactly the same as last week except Newcastle will score unlike Sunderland.
I suspect that this will prove to be true.

I also suspect that if we were to set up a more attacking team we would also probably fail to stop them scoring.

Last edited by mexicaneagle; 22-03-2014 at 12:46 PM.
Old 22-03-2014, 12:45 PM
Jolene Jolene Jolene...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb23 View Post
Agreed. My favourite players over the years have been the ones who have shown grit and determination, a physical presence and a desire to win the ball and put effort in. Players such as Jedinak, Derry, Clint Hill, Michael Hughes, Rhihilati etc.

As much as players such as Wilf, Routledge, Moses etc dazzled me with their skill and pace, they did equally frustrate me when they didn't put in a good shift, something that you could always rely on the aforementioned players to do. I guess the only exception to this rule would be AJ- his role in our promotion and Premiership seasons has probably made him my favourite ever Palace player.
Connor Dymond is my favourite young player to watch. Blood and thunder, although he does have some technical ability as well.

Old 22-03-2014, 12:52 PM

Baffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Murphy's Fringe View Post
Yep, back it up just behind Jules and in front of the posts. A big, bendy, double decker one with special netting down to the floor.
Then all eleven stand in front of it with big long pokey sticks to keep the Northern ruffians away.
The team should also be sporting T-Shirts bearing the face of Mr L. Cattermole of the Sun-da-lund, to be displayed at the end of a dour, drab, grating mind numbing 0-0 which takes us one steps closer to safety.

Tactical genius I am.
Keep checking PMs. Only a matter of time before West Brom seek you out.
Old 22-03-2014, 12:55 PM
Time is running out

Billy Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arron View Post
There are no tactics that would guarantee our staying up, but these tactics give us what I believe is our best shot. Leaving ourselves too open would see us getting beaten heavily most weekends.

The last few weeks have seen a dip in form that's true but before then the very same tactics saw us move up the table from the dire situation we were in when Holloway left. I still think we'll do it but it may be a close run thing.
The tactics aren't the same though, we are now playing 3 defensive minded midfielders which is something we haven't done for the rest of the season, and it explains why we are now so painful to watch. It is overly-cautious and could end up getting us relegated simply because we cant score the goals we need to win games.

So far Pulis has managed to win most of the "winnable" games, with the only shock result being Villa away (thanks to Gayle). We now only have one "winnable" game at home to Villa and even if we win it we are not guaranteed to stay up.

Say we go into the Man City game needing 4 points to stay up, knowing we have Liverpool at home and Fulham away. Would you still agree we should "park the bus" then?
Old 22-03-2014, 12:56 PM

pardew's shorts Sam the man is herepardew's shorts Sam the man is herepardew's shorts Sam the man is herepardew's shorts Sam the man is herepardew's shorts Sam the man is herepardew's shorts Sam the man is herepardew's shorts Sam the man is herepardew's shorts Sam the man is herepardew's shorts Sam the man is herepardew's shorts Sam the man is herepardew's shorts Sam the man is here
Each to their own, but part of the reason I watch Palace and spend thousands on the club is to be entertained. Nobody falls in love with football as a child watching two banks of four and set-pieces and time-wasting.

Nobody, despite the hyperbole, wants us to suddenly play like Arsenal, but we do have the players to attack matches and play with a bit of verve (unfortunately the two best footballers at the club are currently out on loan).

Besides, it's not just pure aesthetics anyway - we are far more likely to stay up if we actually look to score goals; we won't stay up if we play like we have done in recent weeks. We looked far stronger before we made the January signings (not saying they're bad signings, for the record) - since then, it's been a more typical Pulis approach, with obvious results.

I also love the delusion that it's a needs must thing - we will play exactly the same way for as long as Pulis is here, whatever division we're in.
Old 22-03-2014, 01:09 PM

GreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by FraserH View Post
It will be exactly the same as last week except Newcastle will score unlike Sunderland.
Newcastle have only scored 1 more goal than us in 2014 I think.

Their top scorer is Remy - OUT and then Cabaye. Since they lost Cabaye they have looked a shadow of the team they did with him and their recent win was their first in 6.

Newcastle scoring is far from guaranteed, especially as they hit Hull on the break, something they will not have so much opportunity to do against us.
Old 22-03-2014, 01:09 PM
White Car

TrevorWel came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTrevorWel came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTrevorWel came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTrevorWel came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTrevorWel came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTrevorWel came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTrevorWel came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTrevorWel came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTrevorWel came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTrevorWel came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTrevorWel came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:

wut he said