Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 27-04-2014, 08:13 PM

alanlee11 Sam the man is herealanlee11 Sam the man is herealanlee11 Sam the man is herealanlee11 Sam the man is herealanlee11 Sam the man is herealanlee11 Sam the man is herealanlee11 Sam the man is herealanlee11 Sam the man is herealanlee11 Sam the man is herealanlee11 Sam the man is herealanlee11 Sam the man is here
Make the most of this

We're probably all a bit unsure what to do. Even the biggest cynics and negative Palace followers cannot undermine the scale of the achievement staying up is. Doing it with three games to go and rising to 11th in the Premier League is incredible, but I think it has made it hard to sink in. We have never had that survival moment, we coasted to 43 points, no last day drama, no winner takes all final match.

So today we finally end a run of 5 superb victories in a row. A run that Tony Pulis never managed in 8 years with Stoke. We lost to the potential champions and one of (if not) the highest paid football team in the world. I sense some people want to critique the performance, make the usual sweeping generalizations and jump quickly back on their finger pointing bandwagon.

But what I want to ask is; why can't we just enjoy these games? I don't want to just lie down and see the players take the foot of the gas. But today, there was a subdued nature to the atmosphere in the stadium. This home game and the match v Liverpool should be a party. They should see supporters celebrating this incredible achievement. It was hard today because of the early goal, but I was just expecting that little bit more fun!

When will be get three care free matches in a row, with a wonderful achievement already secured? We probably won't. If you cant enjoy this, then god help us all next season, when there will no doubt be some tough times again.

I just think of all the weeks I'd go on Ian Hart's survival calculator thread, desperately trying to work out a way we'd stay up, thinking we'd have to rely on other teams results etc - now we've done it, I hope we never take our place in the Premier League for granted.
Old 27-04-2014, 08:16 PM

ExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is here
Hear Hear
Old 27-04-2014, 08:16 PM
::::::::::::

JAS78 Sam the man is hereJAS78 Sam the man is hereJAS78 Sam the man is hereJAS78 Sam the man is hereJAS78 Sam the man is hereJAS78 Sam the man is hereJAS78 Sam the man is hereJAS78 Sam the man is hereJAS78 Sam the man is hereJAS78 Sam the man is hereJAS78 Sam the man is here
No matter what league we are in, who we beat, trophies we win. You'll never stop certain fans whinging, ever.
Old 27-04-2014, 08:18 PM

eaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanlee11 View Post
We're probably all a bit unsure what to do. Even the biggest cynics and negative Palace followers cannot undermine the scale of the achievement staying up is. Doing it with three games to go and rising to 11th in the Premier League is incredible, but I think it has made it hard to sink in. We have never had that survival moment, we coasted to 43 points, no last day drama, no winner takes all final match.

So today we finally end a run of 5 superb victories in a row. A run that Tony Pulis never managed in 8 years with Stoke. We lost to the potential champions and one of (if not) the highest paid football team in the world. I sense some people want to critique the performance, make the usual sweeping generalizations and jump quickly back on their finger pointing bandwagon.

But what I want to ask is; why can't we just enjoy these games? I don't want to just lie down and see the players take the foot of the gas. But today, there was a subdued nature to the atmosphere in the stadium. This home game and the match v Liverpool should be a party. They should see supporters celebrating this incredible achievement. It was hard today because of the early goal, but I was just expecting that little bit more fun!

When will be get three care free matches in a row, with a wonderful achievement already secured? We probably won't. If you cant enjoy this, then god help us all next season, when there will no doubt be some tough times again.

I just think of all the weeks I'd go on Ian Hart's survival calculator thread, desperately trying to work out a way we'd stay up, thinking we'd have to rely on other teams results etc - now we've done it, I hope we never take our place in the Premier League for granted.
we have had that survival moment in 1992. Also their wage bill was £233m last year and ours was £16m.

Lets just enjoy what the team has done
Old 27-04-2014, 08:19 PM

eaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAS78 View Post
No matter what league we are in, who we beat, trophies we win. You'll never stop certain fans whinging, ever.
there's even a thread by Palace fans whinging about Palace fans
Old 27-04-2014, 08:20 PM

Danny boy Sam the man is hereDanny boy Sam the man is hereDanny boy Sam the man is hereDanny boy Sam the man is hereDanny boy Sam the man is hereDanny boy Sam the man is hereDanny boy Sam the man is hereDanny boy Sam the man is hereDanny boy Sam the man is hereDanny boy Sam the man is hereDanny boy Sam the man is here
Like I said in a previous thread the time to celebrate and pat ourselves on the back is at the end of the season, I'm sure Pulis has the same attitude
Old 27-04-2014, 08:21 PM
Millsie02

Shipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is here
Top post.

I oddly enjoyed today. We put in a performance, certainly didn't disgrace ourselves and I have to admit I actually did appreciate the quality of some of the players on show against us.

We deserve this, oddly relaxing end to the season even if it is a bit strange and as said without its one survival 'moment' .
Old 27-04-2014, 08:21 PM

CharlieCPFC Sam the man is hereCharlieCPFC Sam the man is hereCharlieCPFC Sam the man is hereCharlieCPFC Sam the man is hereCharlieCPFC Sam the man is hereCharlieCPFC Sam the man is hereCharlieCPFC Sam the man is hereCharlieCPFC Sam the man is hereCharlieCPFC Sam the man is hereCharlieCPFC Sam the man is hereCharlieCPFC Sam the man is here
The problem you have is the more successful we become the more people jump on the band wagon and expect success. I don't think the club was ever more united in the toughest time ever in 2010 when we stayed up. Every game was like a carnival atmosphere regardless of performance.

But we need to grow as a club and part of that is having a certain section of deluded and never pleased supporters.

Very good post btw.

Clinton Morrison
Old 27-04-2014, 08:23 PM
Dub

SJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanlee11 View Post

Old 27-04-2014, 08:24 PM
Adult Member

David of Kent Sam the man is hereDavid of Kent Sam the man is hereDavid of Kent Sam the man is hereDavid of Kent Sam the man is hereDavid of Kent Sam the man is hereDavid of Kent Sam the man is hereDavid of Kent Sam the man is hereDavid of Kent Sam the man is hereDavid of Kent Sam the man is hereDavid of Kent Sam the man is hereDavid of Kent Sam the man is here
Not upset with the effort at all, either this match or this season, has been exemplary.

Only a tiny bit disappointed that we didn't apply ourselves well today with our crossing or set pieces. They were poor. Considering the gap in salaries, transfer costs, size and everything else though, thought we matched up okay.
The darkest moments of our lives are not to be buried and forgotten, rather they are a memory to be called upon for inspiration to remind us of the unrelenting human spirit and our capacity to overcome the intolerable.
Old 27-04-2014, 08:27 PM
Maidstoned For Mod!

EryrExile Sam the man is hereEryrExile Sam the man is hereEryrExile Sam the man is hereEryrExile Sam the man is hereEryrExile Sam the man is hereEryrExile Sam the man is hereEryrExile Sam the man is hereEryrExile Sam the man is hereEryrExile Sam the man is hereEryrExile Sam the man is hereEryrExile Sam the man is here
COYP
Old 27-04-2014, 08:29 PM

whereEaglesFly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwhereEaglesFly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwhereEaglesFly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwhereEaglesFly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwhereEaglesFly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwhereEaglesFly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwhereEaglesFly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwhereEaglesFly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwhereEaglesFly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwhereEaglesFly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwhereEaglesFly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Until we do the quadruple with a squad of 18 products of the academy playing the best football in the world with the best stadium in the world.....people will moan
Old 27-04-2014, 08:30 PM
Sir Roy

TheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is here
Who would have thought going into survival Sunday four seasons ago that we would get promoted and even better,stay up?

We are a great football club, with a top, top manager at the helm.

It's bloody exciting time to be a Palace fan with what we can achieve on and off the field now.
Old 27-04-2014, 08:31 PM
pdemeagle @eaglism

eaglebhoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteaglebhoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteaglebhoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteaglebhoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteaglebhoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteaglebhoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteaglebhoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteaglebhoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteaglebhoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteaglebhoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteaglebhoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
It is strange isn't it, I'm sitting here and we've lost and I keep feeling like I'm supposed to be depressed because normally when we lose it either means we're back in relegation trouble or else that we might miss out on Promotion spots but I'm not bothered at all !

I agree, it will most likely be a long time before we have a similar end to a season again but then that's because I'm not daring to hope we'll do similarly or better next season !

All in good time but I cannot wait to see how we build for next season and how it goes in the Premier League for our 2nd consecutive season at last

Proud of the lads that saved us in 2010/11 and of the Lads who brought us up 2012/13 and then kept us in the PL in 2013/14, at last !

Honestly never thought I'd see a CPFC win at Old Trafford in my Lifetime, I will always remember Manchester United 1-2 Crystal Palace on 30/11/11, not to mention Dazzas Goal :D :/: At last, a win in the League at OT 25/8/19 :D
Old 27-04-2014, 08:33 PM
Adult Member

David of Kent Sam the man is hereDavid of Kent Sam the man is hereDavid of Kent Sam the man is hereDavid of Kent Sam the man is hereDavid of Kent Sam the man is hereDavid of Kent Sam the man is hereDavid of Kent Sam the man is hereDavid of Kent Sam the man is hereDavid of Kent Sam the man is hereDavid of Kent Sam the man is hereDavid of Kent Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereEaglesFly View Post
Until we do the quadruple with a squad of 18 products of the academy playing the best football in the world with the best stadium in the world.....people will moan
They will if not every single of one of them applauds the fans after every game
The darkest moments of our lives are not to be buried and forgotten, rather they are a memory to be called upon for inspiration to remind us of the unrelenting human spirit and our capacity to overcome the intolerable.
Old 27-04-2014, 08:34 PM
Dub

SJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMexicanHorse View Post
Who would have thought going into survival Sunday four seasons ago that we would get promoted and even better,stay up?

We are a great football club, with a top, top manager at the helm.

It's bloody exciting time to be a Palace fan with what we can achieve on and off the field now.

Too right
Old 27-04-2014, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whereEaglesFly View Post
what happens if people leave early
Old 27-04-2014, 08:38 PM
Golden Oldie

Ruskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is here
Top post.

Watching today, not on tenterhooks about the outcome, watching the likes of Chamakh not being overshadowed by a former team mate, seeing Ward take on some of the best in the country, see the confidence of Delaney and Dann, made me appreciate how enjoyable it can be.
Old 27-04-2014, 08:50 PM

greybot Sam the man is heregreybot Sam the man is heregreybot Sam the man is heregreybot Sam the man is heregreybot Sam the man is heregreybot Sam the man is heregreybot Sam the man is heregreybot Sam the man is heregreybot Sam the man is heregreybot Sam the man is heregreybot Sam the man is here
The atmosphere was definitely affected by the early goal because of the team we were playing and knowing what they can do. Losing just 2-0 by the end of it was quite good really, given the amount of teams much higher than us, they've absolutely spanked.

If you'd have said to me, we'd only concede three goals against them over two legs, after having watched them spank the likes of Spurs, Arsenal, united, newcastle this season, I'd have bitten your hand off.

Am sure one of their players cost our whole starting 11.

https://www.gofundme.com/supporting-katerina

Last edited by greybot; 27-04-2014 at 08:54 PM.
Old 27-04-2014, 08:53 PM
Golden Oldie

Ruskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by greybot View Post
The atmosphere was definitely affected by the early goal because of the team we were playing and knowing what they can do. Losing just 2-0 by the end of it was quite good really, given the amount of teams much higher than us, they've absolutely spanked.

If you'd have said to me, we'd only concede three goals against them over two legs, after having watched them spank the likes of Spurs, Arsenal, united, newcastle this season, I'd have bitten your hand off.

Am sure one of their players cost our whole starting 11.
Very likely.

(One of their players cost as much as KG - £600k - Joe Hart.)