Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 27-04-2014, 08:53 PM

Thefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is here
Top post. We were beaten by a team containing some of the best players in the world, and put in a good account of ourselves. We weren't played off the park by any means. These are good times to be a palace fan and we should be enjoying it! Unfortunately there is always to small handful that never stop moaning!
Old 27-04-2014, 08:54 PM

alanlee11 Sam the man is herealanlee11 Sam the man is herealanlee11 Sam the man is herealanlee11 Sam the man is herealanlee11 Sam the man is herealanlee11 Sam the man is herealanlee11 Sam the man is herealanlee11 Sam the man is herealanlee11 Sam the man is herealanlee11 Sam the man is herealanlee11 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglebhoy View Post
It is strange isn't it, I'm sitting here and we've lost and I keep feeling like I'm supposed to be depressed because normally when we lose it either means we're back in relegation trouble or else that we might miss out on Promotion spots but I'm not bothered at all !

I agree, it will most likely be a long time before we have a similar end to a season again but then that's because I'm not daring to hope we'll do similarly or better next season !

All in good time but I cannot wait to see how we build for next season and how it goes in the Premier League for our 2nd consecutive season at last
feel the same.

I hope the Monday night game against Liverpool can be a real occasion, today seemed to be a bit flat, but a Monday night, final game of the season, gotta crank it up for that.
Old 27-04-2014, 08:56 PM
Edenbridge in Exile

Ninjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereEaglesFly View Post
Until we do the quadruple with a squad of 18 products of the academy playing the best football in the world with the best stadium in the world.....people will moan
They'll still moan about the quality of the beer and the price of a pie. Human nature init!
Old 27-04-2014, 09:05 PM
::::::::::::

JAS78 Sam the man is hereJAS78 Sam the man is hereJAS78 Sam the man is hereJAS78 Sam the man is hereJAS78 Sam the man is hereJAS78 Sam the man is hereJAS78 Sam the man is hereJAS78 Sam the man is hereJAS78 Sam the man is hereJAS78 Sam the man is hereJAS78 Sam the man is here
I remember us getting beating 0-4 at home by Scunthorpe.

We are now 11th in one of the strongest leagues in the world. With 2 games to go, we can have a say with who wins the league and who gets relegated.

WOW.
Old 27-04-2014, 09:11 PM
Banded by Moderationers

Brett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is here
Drum problems, messing up Glad All Over, a stand full of overseas day trippers and goal against almost straight away.

It sometimes goes like that when a routine goes out the window.
Old 27-04-2014, 09:17 PM

Thefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
Drum problems, messing up Glad All Over, a stand full of overseas day trippers and goal against almost straight away.

It sometimes goes like that when a routine goes out the window.

Agreed. There is a massive over reliance on the HF. Whole stadium needs to get involved not a couple of blocks in the lower tier and the AWM especially in these big games. I thought everyone would be buzzing today.. Maybe the early goal killed it. Anyway we are 11th in the premier league, let's enjoy as OP says!
Old 27-04-2014, 09:52 PM
Old and jaded

davech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanlee11 View Post
We're probably all a bit unsure what to do. Even the biggest cynics and negative Palace followers cannot undermine the scale of the achievement staying up is. Doing it with three games to go and rising to 11th in the Premier League is incredible, but I think it has made it hard to sink in. We have never had that survival moment, we coasted to 43 points, no last day drama, no winner takes all final match.

So today we finally end a run of 5 superb victories in a row. A run that Tony Pulis never managed in 8 years with Stoke. We lost to the potential champions and one of (if not) the highest paid football team in the world. I sense some people want to critique the performance, make the usual sweeping generalizations and jump quickly back on their finger pointing bandwagon.

But what I want to ask is; why can't we just enjoy these games? I don't want to just lie down and see the players take the foot of the gas. But today, there was a subdued nature to the atmosphere in the stadium. This home game and the match v Liverpool should be a party. They should see supporters celebrating this incredible achievement. It was hard today because of the early goal, but I was just expecting that little bit more fun!

When will be get three care free matches in a row, with a wonderful achievement already secured? We probably won't. If you cant enjoy this, then god help us all next season, when there will no doubt be some tough times again.

I just think of all the weeks I'd go on Ian Hart's survival calculator thread, desperately trying to work out a way we'd stay up, thinking we'd have to rely on other teams results etc - now we've done it, I hope we never take our place in the Premier League for granted.
Great post!

It has been beyond our wildest dreams since Tony Pulis took over, particularly the 5-in-a-row wins. Who would have thunk it? All runs have to come to an end (don't they, Liverpool), and we should be mighty proud of these achievements. Let's just stay grounded, please. But that doesn't mean we can't still hope turn over the scousers and put the final nail in their title hopes.

Because we are Palace - that's what we do
Old 27-04-2014, 09:55 PM

alanlee11 Sam the man is herealanlee11 Sam the man is herealanlee11 Sam the man is herealanlee11 Sam the man is herealanlee11 Sam the man is herealanlee11 Sam the man is herealanlee11 Sam the man is herealanlee11 Sam the man is herealanlee11 Sam the man is herealanlee11 Sam the man is herealanlee11 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAS78 View Post
I remember us getting beating 0-4 at home by Scunthorpe.

We are now 11th in one of the strongest leagues in the world. With 2 games to go, we can have a say with who wins the league and who gets relegated.

WOW.
Spot on. That Scunthorpe result was awful. Just like the one the season after when we lost 2-1 to them. If you can't enjoy 11th in the league with a packed Selhurst, you will never be happy!!
Old 27-04-2014, 10:14 PM

muswell eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemuswell eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemuswell eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemuswell eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemuswell eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemuswell eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemuswell eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemuswell eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemuswell eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemuswell eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemuswell eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Today was a good reality check and it was an honour to see Toure play on the hallowed turf.

We need to expect more of the same next year and as TP has already mentioned, our unconditional support when things are not going well will be just as crucial as it has been this season.

I hope I am wrong, but don't blame me, I voted remain
Old 27-04-2014, 10:19 PM
Cookies make life better

firesign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is here
to be fair - I think most Palace fans are aware that this a great time. At the very worst we've got at least one more season in the Premier League and all the benefits that entails.
Old 27-04-2014, 10:19 PM

dave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is here
It was a very strange weekend after the tension and anxiety of recent months. Even yesterday I felt a bit a bit detached watching games on the streams and listening to the radio. The adrenaline definitely wasn't pumping.

An early goal today was always going to put a dampener on proceedings although I felt we played some good football in the first half. Strangely for the first time in ages and I'm probably going back a couple of years I didn't come away from the ground feeling down after a defeat. Man City didn't take us to the cleaners and we remain 11th and could still finish higher. We also have that revenge fixture against Fulham to look forward to.

Comment is free, but facts are sacred. (C.P. Scott)
Old 28-04-2014, 12:17 AM

Reg_Maudling came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietReg_Maudling came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietReg_Maudling came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietReg_Maudling came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietReg_Maudling came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietReg_Maudling came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietReg_Maudling came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietReg_Maudling came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietReg_Maudling came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietReg_Maudling came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietReg_Maudling came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I sense...moaning about imaginary moaners

I sense..a united club..owners..manager..supporters..who are appreciating the achievement and enjoying it and understanding very well how great it is

I sense an Anti Anti_Pulis brigade who maintain that an Anti-Pulis brigade exists who are complaining and waiting eagerly for him to fail despite any evidence of their existence

relax and enjoy it all anti-moaners!

PS Pulis has to be manager of the year

Last edited by Reg_Maudling; 28-04-2014 at 12:18 AM. Reason: typos - typos!
Old 28-04-2014, 12:20 AM
56 years and counting…

Chobham Eagle Sam the man is hereChobham Eagle Sam the man is hereChobham Eagle Sam the man is hereChobham Eagle Sam the man is hereChobham Eagle Sam the man is hereChobham Eagle Sam the man is hereChobham Eagle Sam the man is hereChobham Eagle Sam the man is hereChobham Eagle Sam the man is hereChobham Eagle Sam the man is hereChobham Eagle Sam the man is here
Excellent OP
Old 28-04-2014, 12:26 AM

Tony came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTony came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTony came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTony came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTony came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTony came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTony came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTony came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTony came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTony came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTony came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Not scientifically researched, but I reckon in my 45 years of supporting Palace, there has only been maybe seven or eight seasons in which nothing much has happened. The lack of stress in a season is a matter of interpretation... Dougie's 2012 campaign, for example, saw us miss Wembley on penalties after beating Man United at Old Trafford, but petered out badly (was it exciting or dull?).

Likewise, the half a season of Steve Bruce was then followed by that grim decline under Trevor Francis but hilariously enlivened by SJ's ranting and raving at Brum's dildo merchants (good or bad... form your own opinion).

However you view it, supporting Palace is rarely dull and a finish such as the one we are basking in now is truly a rare event. You'd be very hard pressed to find a club with as rich and varied story as the one Palace have taken us on since we first stepped into the big time in 1969.

I've marked the stress-free (or 'dull') seasons in red.

Lucky lucky us, eh?

1968-69 promoted to division one
1969-73 - four relegation battles losing the last one
1974 relegated again
1975, 76 and 77 promotion attempts, FA Cup run and the madness of Wrexham
1978 mid-table finish
1979 championship confirmed late into the last game of the season
1980 Team of the 80s table toppers, but mid-table finish
1981 relegated
1982 tame but lowly finish
1983 last night survival from relegation
1984 relegation battle
1985 relatively safe but lowly finish
1986 fifth, relatively comfortable finish, but the dawning of the Ian Wright era
1987 and 1988 missed play-offs on last day
1989 lunatic play-off fight backs to overcome suicidal defensive tendencies, promoted
1990 successful battle against relegation and FA Cup Final
1991 Third and almost into Europe, ZDS run
1992 Tenth, league cup semi defeat after Chelsea in the mud extravaganza
1993 relegated
1994 Champions
1995 Only club in history to be relegated from top flight fourth from bottom, lost two cup semis
1996 Last kick play off final defeat
1997 Last kick play-of final victory
1998 Relegated - first home league win arrives in April
1999-2000 Administration with survival in 2000 secured on last home game
2001 Alan Smith, Pompey and Stockport (plus League Cup semi home win v Liverpool and 0-5 horror loss in the return)
2002 from Steve Bruce's table toppers in October to Tricky Trev's midtable hoofers by the end
2003 Tricky Trev's grim midtable grind (enlivened slightly by the 5-0 whopping of the Weed and 2-0 Cup upset at Anfield)
2004 From bottom three to play off semi drama v Sunderland and victory over West Ham in just five months
2005 Relegated with six minutes left at the Clowns
2006 Play-off defeat to Watford, SJ v Dowie play out their own John Grisham novel
2007 Peter Taylor forms Tricky Trev Borefest Tribute Act
2008 Peter Taylor horror show turned into Warnock headlong charge to play-offs, ending when Ben Watson hits post with penalty
2009 mid-table nothingness
2010 Administration and survival Sunday at Sheffield Wednesday
2011 Relegation battle securing safety with late equaliser at Hull
2012 League Cup semi penalty loss, followed by Dougie's experiment with ultra-drabness
2013 Play-off winners
2014 Midtable mediocrity (the most battled for and against the odds mediocrity accompanied by spirit, togetherness and determination in football history)
Old 28-04-2014, 12:36 AM

NorthPalace23 Sam the man is hereNorthPalace23 Sam the man is hereNorthPalace23 Sam the man is hereNorthPalace23 Sam the man is hereNorthPalace23 Sam the man is hereNorthPalace23 Sam the man is hereNorthPalace23 Sam the man is hereNorthPalace23 Sam the man is hereNorthPalace23 Sam the man is hereNorthPalace23 Sam the man is hereNorthPalace23 Sam the man is here
Neutrals are still raving about our atmosphere today The great thing is we can do even better which is pretty great!

The performance today wasn't good from us. The set piece delivery in particular was poor, and every second ball seemed to go to them. This combined with the early goal conceded and that we are already safe in 11th place meant there was little to get exited about.

However I think the atmosphere was still good from us at times. We were still out singing them for long periods despite what happened on the pitch which is special. The only disappointment for me was seeing people applaud Toure. He is an opposition player. It's the kind of act that we would laugh at Brighton fans for.

Looking forward to the last two games. COYP.
Old 28-04-2014, 04:56 AM
Probationary User

Vancouver_Eagle is playing for a contract
Having to watch this(and the last 6 seasons!) from Vancouver ~ I am so proud to be a Palace fan. We are so different to most teams out there. What we have done is amazing. All the bookies and all the "experts" said we had no chance. Enjoy being Palace there is nothing like it!
Old 28-04-2014, 09:17 AM
Semper Idem

Maz has disabled reputation
Good thread.

Just sorry to see so many people leaving it before it is finished.

.פɐppɐ פɐppɐ Hǝʎ

Old 28-04-2014, 09:35 AM
chubby browns joke writer

strolling bones Sam the man is herestrolling bones Sam the man is herestrolling bones Sam the man is herestrolling bones Sam the man is herestrolling bones Sam the man is herestrolling bones Sam the man is herestrolling bones Sam the man is herestrolling bones Sam the man is herestrolling bones Sam the man is herestrolling bones Sam the man is herestrolling bones Sam the man is here
There is no shame in losing to anyone with the pedigree man city have especially when ypu give it your best shot. I defy anyone to say we never did that yesterday. It was a good effort

In an abusive relationship with the cost of living.
Old 28-04-2014, 10:46 AM

Marshian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMarshian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMarshian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMarshian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMarshian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMarshian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMarshian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMarshian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMarshian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMarshian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMarshian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
To be competing with mega bucks Champions league teams and not getting hammered is amazing.
This is the best its been since 92 and it may get better
Anyone that was dissapointed with any aspect of yesterday needs a reality check
Old 28-04-2014, 01:47 PM
crap ball gazer!

bald-eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbald-eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbald-eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbald-eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbald-eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbald-eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbald-eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbald-eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbald-eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbald-eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbald-eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post

1968-69 promoted to division one
1969-73 - four relegation battles losing the last one
1974 relegated again
1975, 76 and 77 promotion attempts, FA Cup run and the madness of Wrexham
1978 mid-table finish
1979 championship confirmed late into the last game of the season
1980 Team of the 80s table toppers, but mid-table finish
1981 relegated
1982 tame but lowly finish
1983 last night survival from relegation
1984 relegation battle
1985 relatively safe but lowly finish
1986 fifth, relatively comfortable finish, but the dawning of the Ian Wright era
1987 and 1988 missed play-offs on last day
1989 lunatic play-off fight backs to overcome suicidal defensive tendencies, promoted
1990 successful battle against relegation and FA Cup Final
1991 Third and almost into Europe, ZDS run
1992 Tenth, league cup semi defeat after Chelsea in the mud extravaganza
1993 relegated
1994 Champions
1995 Only club in history to be relegated from top flight fourth from bottom, lost two cup semis
1996 Last kick play off final defeat
1997 Last kick play-of final victory
1998 Relegated - first home league win arrives in April
1999-2000 Administration with survival in 2000 secured on last home game
2001 Alan Smith, Pompey and Stockport (plus League Cup semi home win v Liverpool and 0-5 horror loss in the return)
2002 from Steve Bruce's table toppers in October to Tricky Trev's midtable hoofers by the end
2003 Tricky Trev's grim midtable grind (enlivened slightly by the 5-0 whopping of the Weed and 2-0 Cup upset at Anfield)
2004 From bottom three to play off semi drama v Sunderland and victory over West Ham in just five months
2005 Relegated with six minutes left at the Clowns
2006 Play-off defeat to Watford, SJ v Dowie play out their own John Grisham novel
2007 Peter Taylor forms Tricky Trev Borefest Tribute Act
2008 Peter Taylor horror show turned into Warnock headlong charge to play-offs, ending when Ben Watson hits post with penalty
2009 mid-table nothingness
2010 Administration and survival Sunday at Sheffield Wednesday
2011 Relegation battle securing safety with late equaliser at Hull
2012 League Cup semi penalty loss, followed by Dougie's experiment with ultra-drabness
2013 Play-off winners
2014 Midtable mediocrity (the most battled for and against the odds mediocrity accompanied by spirit, togetherness and determination in football history)

No wonder I'm flippin' bald !!

great memories though when you look back at it.