Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Crystal Palace Football Club General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 28-04-2017, 11:41 AM
Benevolence personified

Vince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is here
A this old chestnut. Wright being an Arsenal fan will never make me cry. The literally hundreds of breathtaking moments he provided us as a player which became the cornerstone for any success we had from the mid 80s onwards will stay with me forever.

Book closed.
Old 28-04-2017, 11:45 AM

silverymoon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsilverymoon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsilverymoon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsilverymoon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsilverymoon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsilverymoon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsilverymoon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsilverymoon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsilverymoon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsilverymoon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsilverymoon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
What a great, great player for us. One of the most exciting ever to play for us. I won't ever forget him. Sad that he ended up a bit of a dickhead though
Old 28-04-2017, 11:48 AM

jaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palacemad2002 View Post
Got to disagree with you in regards to Jules. I have met him a number of times and can tell you that he is definitely a Palace fan now. His kids have grown up in the area, he's laid down roots here, the guy bleeds red and blue and even said he'll be coming to games long after he retires.
I struggle to buy this.
Wright is one of the main reasons I'm a Palace fan. He really captured the imagination of the fans, and the sheer excitement of what he brought to the pitch, he was direct, dangerous and deadly. He had this raw enthusiasm which was infectious. I met his mum Nesta a few times as a kid at Selhurst, a very quiet unassuming lady, but extremely proud of her son.

I have never felt as upset about a player leaving as I did Wrighty, he epitomised everything I loved about football as a kid and the journey CPFC had been on. As soon as he left it all went a bit sour and neither side covered themselves in glory. We had the aforementioned graffiti incident which contrary to reports did happen.
Does anyone remember when he blew kisses to us at Highbury after a dreadful challenge on Ninja? Arsenal destroyed us scoring 4 first half goals, which also coincided with the first time i'd heard the 'illegitimate' song.

He built bridges by swapping Lombardo's shirt in the 0-0 draw, and then built up hopes with a return to SE25 with the interview with Jonathan Pearce in early 98' stating he would love to finish his playing days here. 18 months later he had the perfect chance to rewrite the past, and he opted to team up with ex Palace colleague Stan up at Burnley, whilst the club was crippled. He would have been perfect for us at the time, and a massive morale boost for all involved.
The truth of the matter is Ian Wright is only interested in Ian Wright, he doesn't care about us, he may have fond memories but the whole staged situation of walking up the Holmesdale concourse last season at home to WBA was purely for drama and effect. The issue I have is simply that Wright only brings us up when it benefits him and this will never change.

I was his staunchest fan for many years, and would never hear a bad word said about him, but as I've become a little older and wiser and sometimes we are blinkered by our hero's as children. I've now come to realise, as a footballer for CPFC he was a joy to watch, probably the best I've known in my lifetime, but as an individual I don't have much time for him, and as they say never ever meet your childhood idol.
Old 28-04-2017, 11:53 AM
N14 and not so proud...

SOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExiledStirling View Post
Once I accepted that he is a guy that just says whatever is in his head at the time and that tomorrow he probably will say the total opposite I gave myself permission to love him again.

In terms of excitement cannot think of a player who has given us more than him and to me there are no more iconic photos representing our club than any of the ones of Ian Wright, wheeling away face full of uncontrolled joy, just after he has scored. It brings pride, joy and a little tear knowing that at the time he embodied everything about being Palace. At those very moments both his heart and head were Palace, and at the end of the day that should be what matters to us, not the confused nonsense he has since spouted.
I would agree with everything you say if it wasn't for my experience with the man, which showed me clearly that he felt, by then, that we were a part of a history he had progressed beyond by joining Arsenal.

A sophisticated human being ( which several terrible stories from people I know tell me he is not ) would recognize that even if Palace fans did boo him first ( and all that is rather blurry by now anyway ) that they would only represent a fraction of the total support. Kissing the Arse badge was a kick in the teeth for the thousands of us there that still idolized the man and wished him well at his new club.

Wright basically says whatever suits him at the time and his attitude towards all his former clubs ( except his beloved Arsenal ) varies depending on the circumstances of the moment. What is plain ( and he told me so personally ) is that we do not hold much of a special place in his heart as the club that gave him the chance to shine when no one else would. The only club he reveres is Arsenal although he gives lip service otherwise when it suits him as the two-faced egoist he is. Judas Wright? No. Janus Wright.
Old 28-04-2017, 11:57 AM

mcmean came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmcmean came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmcmean came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmcmean came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmcmean came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmcmean came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmcmean came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmcmean came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmcmean came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmcmean came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmcmean came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastend eagle View Post
Palace fans turned on Wright before the badge kissing. Graffiti on his family home and chants at the match.

Palace have a nasty streak when it comes to certain former players. The booing of Scannell on his return to Selhurst was unforgivable. I wasn't at Goodison, but find it hard to see how Bolasie could have ended up being similarly targetted either.
Scannell was only booed after his dive for their pen
Old 28-04-2017, 12:09 PM

Glazier69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlazier69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlazier69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlazier69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlazier69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlazier69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlazier69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlazier69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlazier69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlazier69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlazier69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
He was a great player for us probably in my era top five. Like hundreds of players in my 50 years supporting Palace he moved on. I remember the good stuff and now regard him as TV celeb like all the rest.
Old 28-04-2017, 12:15 PM

AddiscombeEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAddiscombeEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAddiscombeEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAddiscombeEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAddiscombeEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAddiscombeEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAddiscombeEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAddiscombeEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAddiscombeEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAddiscombeEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAddiscombeEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
scored the first minute own goal at the Dell and telling him I wasn’t worried because we had Ian Wright. You just never felt beaten with him on the pitch.

As others have said him leaving hurt and what happened afterward at Highbury in the league and semi-final was grim and taught me as a 15 year old kid the realities of football. As others have said don’t meet your heroes.

To me he will always be one of the great Palace heroes because of what he did in red and blue.
Old 28-04-2017, 12:24 PM

MikeyBaby came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMikeyBaby came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMikeyBaby came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMikeyBaby came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMikeyBaby came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMikeyBaby came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMikeyBaby came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMikeyBaby came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMikeyBaby came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMikeyBaby came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMikeyBaby came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Most returning players get a very good reception, until the game starts - fair enough.

Wilf's long since taken the place in my heart that was Wrighty's.
Old 28-04-2017, 12:26 PM

Chris K Sam the man is hereChris K Sam the man is hereChris K Sam the man is hereChris K Sam the man is hereChris K Sam the man is hereChris K Sam the man is hereChris K Sam the man is hereChris K Sam the man is hereChris K Sam the man is hereChris K Sam the man is hereChris K Sam the man is here
Made me bawl my eyes out as a 13 year old at Highbury in 1993, also made me put a big dent in the metal wall thing that was at the back of the terrace that day when I booted it out of frustration. For the record, at the Duke of York that morning everyone was singing the illegitimate song before he did what he did

But he was one of the best players i've seen in a Palace shirt.
Old 28-04-2017, 12:32 PM

SA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris K View Post
Made me bawl my eyes out as a 13 year old at Highbury in 1993, also made me put a big dent in the metal wall thing that was at the back of the terrace that day when I booted it out of frustration. For the record, at the Duke of York that morning everyone was singing the illegitimate song before he did what he did

But he was one of the best players i've seen in a Palace shirt.
The badge kissing was earlier, at the league cup semi, 2nd leg. It may have been in reaction to some booing, who really knows for definite? Ultimately, there was a lot of shit on both sides.
Old 28-04-2017, 12:33 PM

Glazier69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlazier69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlazier69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlazier69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlazier69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlazier69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlazier69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlazier69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlazier69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlazier69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlazier69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyBaby View Post
Most returning players get a very good reception, until the game starts - fair enough.

1 Zaha
2 Cannon
3 Wright
4 Hilaire
5 Johnson
Old 28-04-2017, 12:34 PM

palace23 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalace23 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalace23 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalace23 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalace23 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalace23 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalace23 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalace23 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalace23 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalace23 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalace23 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaspercpfc View Post
I struggle to buy this.
Wright is one of the main reasons I'm a Palace fan. He really captured the imagination of the fans, and the sheer excitement of what he brought to the pitch, he was direct, dangerous and deadly. He had this raw enthusiasm which was infectious. I met his mum Nesta a few times as a kid at Selhurst, a very quiet unassuming lady, but extremely proud of her son.

I have never felt as upset about a player leaving as I did Wrighty, he epitomised everything I loved about football as a kid and the journey CPFC had been on. As soon as he left it all went a bit sour and neither side covered themselves in glory. We had the aforementioned graffiti incident which contrary to reports did happen.
Does anyone remember when he blew kisses to us at Highbury after a dreadful challenge on Ninja? Arsenal destroyed us scoring 4 first half goals, which also coincided with the first time i'd heard the 'illegitimate' song.

He built bridges by swapping Lombardo's shirt in the 0-0 draw, and then built up hopes with a return to SE25 with the interview with Jonathan Pearce in early 98' stating he would love to finish his playing days here. 18 months later he had the perfect chance to rewrite the past, and he opted to team up with ex Palace colleague Stan up at Burnley, whilst the club was crippled. He would have been perfect for us at the time, and a massive morale boost for all involved.
I left out the last bit because for me he will always be a hero.
As others have said the way he played and the goals he scored for us and the obvious pride and love he had for the club at the time and I think still does outweigh everything else.

Also I just happened to have this come up on YouTube the other day.
It's a documentary about his and David Rocastle's journey from living on the same council estate to eventually being reunited as footballers at Arsenal.
I can't blame him for being excited for playing for Arsenal alongside his boyhood friend, he took his opportunity with both hands, who wouldn't really!

And the one thing that makes a big difference which comes up in this documentary is video testimony from David Dein, then Vice Chairman at Arsenal that states in his own words that it was him who phoned Ron Noades asked Wrighty's price and then offered it.
That is not Wrighty's fault and casts a very different light on things> He didn't leave us>
To view the link you have to Register or Login
Anyway, that exchange is at 52.18.

It's also a very good documentary and if you enjoy nostalgia then goes from footage of their past to Rocastle's time at Arsenal, interspersed with Wrighty's at Palace, Coppell interview and then Arsenal.

I still have a lot of love for Ian Wright! He was a great Palace player, the best goal-creating striker I have ever seen play! And the humanity and honesty that comes across from Wrighty remembering moments of his career and Rocastle sums up the man.

:-)

Last edited by palace23; 28-04-2017 at 12:38 PM.
Old 28-04-2017, 12:43 PM

Selhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is here
Ian Wright supports Ian Wright.
Old 28-04-2017, 12:45 PM
N14 and not so proud...

SOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyBaby View Post

AJ took that place for me. Not nearly as talented but twice the man.
Old 28-04-2017, 12:45 PM

CPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by horsham palace View Post
Anyone read his comments in the interview with Tony McCoy?

He says that " Palace fans have a problem with me because they are jealous of my love of Arsenal" and "I will always be grateful for what they did for me but Arsenal is my favourite club"

It is a shame Wright did not admit Palace fans have a problem with him for kissing the badge and celebrating like a lunatic when scoring against us and calling us "w@nkers" during goal celebrations in the League Cup semi.

Those who sang his name at the Wembley Cup Final last year when he was parading around the pitch pre game for TV, should be embarrassed.
The greatest player we've ever had along with Lombardo.

Perhaps he would love us as much if our scumbag fans didn't sing songs about him having a horrific disease or vandalising his mother's property. JAT.
Old 28-04-2017, 12:46 PM
N14 and not so proud...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selhurst Celtic View Post
Ian Wright supports Ian Wright.
End thread.
Old 28-04-2017, 12:49 PM

SA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPFC.1990 View Post

Perhaps he would love us as much if our scumbag fans didn't sing songs about him having a horrific disease or vandalising his mother's property. JAT.
I didn't realise people were still doing that; no wonder he's pissed with us.
Old 28-04-2017, 12:50 PM

alexcpfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietalexcpfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietalexcpfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietalexcpfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietalexcpfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietalexcpfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietalexcpfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietalexcpfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietalexcpfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietalexcpfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietalexcpfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOUTHGATE EAGLE View Post
AJ took that place for me. Not nearly as talented but twice the man.

My thoughts exactly and I will always hold Mark Bright in much higher regard as well.
Old 28-04-2017, 12:53 PM

adrenalin john came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietadrenalin john came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietadrenalin john came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietadrenalin john came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietadrenalin john came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietadrenalin john came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietadrenalin john came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietadrenalin john came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietadrenalin john came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietadrenalin john came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietadrenalin john came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Ian Wright was a fantastic player, a true great.

However the way he left us and his attitude after was shit. Over the last decade or so he has realised he can play the media game and so pretends to have a soft spot for Palace.

The guy is a knob and the only club he has time for is Arsenal.
Old 28-04-2017, 12:54 PM

BarcaPalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBarcaPalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBarcaPalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBarcaPalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBarcaPalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBarcaPalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBarcaPalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBarcaPalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBarcaPalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBarcaPalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBarcaPalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Payroll Legend View Post
Completely agree. I won't ever feel that gutted again because it taught me that footballers aren't fans. Not Wilf, not Cannon, not even Jules.

Maybe Punch. He might feel the same, I'd like to think so.

Who Jason Puncheon that scored a hatrick against us for Millwall and celebrated by taking his top off and going f*cking nuts? lol