Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic The Music Forum

Notices

The Music Forum All things music

Old 31-05-2006, 11:27 AM

Men At Work has stood some ghostly moments, with natives in the hillsMen At Work has stood some ghostly moments, with natives in the hillsMen At Work has stood some ghostly moments, with natives in the hillsMen At Work has stood some ghostly moments, with natives in the hillsMen At Work has stood some ghostly moments, with natives in the hillsMen At Work has stood some ghostly moments, with natives in the hillsMen At Work has stood some ghostly moments, with natives in the hillsMen At Work has stood some ghostly moments, with natives in the hillsMen At Work has stood some ghostly moments, with natives in the hillsMen At Work has stood some ghostly moments, with natives in the hillsMen At Work has stood some ghostly moments, with natives in the hills
Quote:
Originally posted by pete eagle
What the hell is swirling shoegaze guitar fuzz?
I think it means it sounds a bit like Coldplay.
Old 31-05-2006, 12:54 PM
Resurrection!

Baloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
What the hell is swirling shoegaze guitar fuzz?
Early Ride, My Bloody Valentine, Pale Saints, Lush, The Radio Dept, early Boo Radleys, Cocteau Twins, etc etc.

If you listen to any of these, you will understand.
Old 31-05-2006, 12:56 PM
Resurrection!

Baloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
While I like slightly eccentric descriptions of music, sometimes reviewers seem to spend more time thinking what weird words they can use than they do listening to the music.
I spent no time at all thinking of how to describe shoegaze. And I didn't think it was particularly eccentric or wierd.
Old 31-05-2006, 12:56 PM
Resurrection!

Quote:
Originally posted by Men At Work
I think it means it sounds a bit like Coldplay.
Ha. Welcome to a tangent universe.
Old 31-05-2006, 01:05 PM

weltklasse came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietweltklasse came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietweltklasse came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietweltklasse came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietweltklasse came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietweltklasse came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietweltklasse came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietweltklasse came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietweltklasse came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietweltklasse came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietweltklasse came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally posted by The Misfit
I think it was originally Three Imaginary Boys reworked for US release; some tracks removed to make space for the singles Killing An Arab, Jumping Someone Else's Train and Boys Don't Cry. In the end it became generally available but it wasn't ever marketed as a compilation.

It's a great record either way.
FIRE IN CAIRO...another top track on it....

SaulAlinsky
Old 31-05-2006, 01:06 PM
Resurrection!

Oh, and my latest listening was the Revolver Reconstructed album which comes free with this month's Mojo magazine. The whole Revolver album covered by current artists, most of whom I do not recognise but all who take their own slant on the classics tracks. It is surprisingly and exceptionally good.
Old 31-05-2006, 01:07 PM
jft39

west country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is here
Quote:

While I like slightly eccentric descriptions of music, sometimes reviewers seem to spend more time thinking what weird words they can use than they do listening to the music.
That was the 20,000th post on this thread, pete. You should be very proud.
Old 31-05-2006, 01:08 PM

Men At Work has stood some ghostly moments, with natives in the hillsMen At Work has stood some ghostly moments, with natives in the hillsMen At Work has stood some ghostly moments, with natives in the hillsMen At Work has stood some ghostly moments, with natives in the hillsMen At Work has stood some ghostly moments, with natives in the hillsMen At Work has stood some ghostly moments, with natives in the hillsMen At Work has stood some ghostly moments, with natives in the hillsMen At Work has stood some ghostly moments, with natives in the hillsMen At Work has stood some ghostly moments, with natives in the hillsMen At Work has stood some ghostly moments, with natives in the hillsMen At Work has stood some ghostly moments, with natives in the hills
Quote:
Originally posted by Baloo
Ha. Welcome to a tangent universe.
I'm just remembering an earlier post (not sure if it was you) who said they had bought some stuff based on great reviews and it ended up sounding like... Coldplay.
Old 31-05-2006, 01:35 PM
Resurrection!

Yep, I realised that.

I couldn't resist pointing out the polar opposites of Coldplay and shoegaze though.
Old 31-05-2006, 01:49 PM

Quote:
I couldn't resist pointing out the polar opposites of Coldplay and shoegaze though.
I'm still confused as to what shoegaze actually is.
Old 31-05-2006, 02:15 PM
Resurrection!

Quote:
Originally posted by Men At Work
I'm still confused as to what shoegaze actually is.
Decent descriptions (and examples of classic shoegaze artists) can be found To view the link you have to Register or Login. I liked the description I read somewhere else that the reason the bands spent the whole time looking down was because they were continuously changing the effects on their guitar pedals.

Lovely to see shoegaze is undergoing a bit of a revival.
Old 31-05-2006, 04:13 PM
Puncheon above our weight

sydney eagle Sam the man is heresydney eagle Sam the man is heresydney eagle Sam the man is heresydney eagle Sam the man is heresydney eagle Sam the man is heresydney eagle Sam the man is heresydney eagle Sam the man is heresydney eagle Sam the man is heresydney eagle Sam the man is heresydney eagle Sam the man is heresydney eagle Sam the man is here
I dunno if this has been posted but this is Thom Yorkes album which has been leaked

It's magnificent,I can't wait to buy it

To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 31-05-2006, 11:29 PM
Web Junkee

John.K has got sunshine in a bagJohn.K has got sunshine in a bagJohn.K has got sunshine in a bagJohn.K has got sunshine in a bagJohn.K has got sunshine in a bagJohn.K has got sunshine in a bagJohn.K has got sunshine in a bagJohn.K has got sunshine in a bagJohn.K has got sunshine in a bagJohn.K has got sunshine in a bagJohn.K has got sunshine in a bag
Quote:
Originally posted by sydney eagle
I dunno if this has been posted but this is Thom Yorkes album which has been leaked

Cheers for that, in one of the songs is he singing over his own pre-recorded voice? Currently listening to RHCP - Give It Away
Old 01-06-2006, 07:51 AM
Resurrection!

After yesterday's shoegaze discussion, last night I got lost in the bliss of Pale Saints' Comforts in Madness. Wonderful.
Old 01-06-2006, 11:53 AM
Web Junkee

John.K has got sunshine in a bagJohn.K has got sunshine in a bagJohn.K has got sunshine in a bagJohn.K has got sunshine in a bagJohn.K has got sunshine in a bagJohn.K has got sunshine in a bagJohn.K has got sunshine in a bagJohn.K has got sunshine in a bagJohn.K has got sunshine in a bagJohn.K has got sunshine in a bagJohn.K has got sunshine in a bag
Turin Brakes - Blue Hour
Old 01-06-2006, 07:59 PM
Very Senior Member

dougdeep has to read the song lyrics on the big screendougdeep has to read the song lyrics on the big screendougdeep has to read the song lyrics on the big screendougdeep has to read the song lyrics on the big screendougdeep has to read the song lyrics on the big screendougdeep has to read the song lyrics on the big screendougdeep has to read the song lyrics on the big screendougdeep has to read the song lyrics on the big screendougdeep has to read the song lyrics on the big screendougdeep has to read the song lyrics on the big screendougdeep has to read the song lyrics on the big screen
This.

Old 02-06-2006, 06:59 AM
43% Burnt

PauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by sydney eagle

*claps hands like a liitle girl who just got a pony*

i'm quite excited about this album! worth the hype??
Old 02-06-2006, 12:37 PM
thoughtful & kind..

The Misfit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Misfit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Misfit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Misfit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Misfit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Misfit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Misfit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Misfit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Misfit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Misfit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Misfit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
After yesterday's shoegaze discussion, last night I got lost in the bliss of Pale Saints' Comforts in Madness. Wonderful.
It is indeed a wonderful album

I'm having a bit of an Orange Juice day today. Currently listening to Texas Fever. Earlier on was listening to You Can't Hide Your Love Forever. Perfect pop music and the genius of Edwyn Collins.
Old 02-06-2006, 01:18 PM
Resurrection!

My Bloody Valentine's Loveless (shoegaze fetish not yet worn off)

and

Six.byseven's The Closer You Get

and

Sonic Youth's Sonic Nurse (good reviews for the upcoming release!)
Old 02-06-2006, 08:02 PM
43% Burnt

PauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is here
oh my god... Thom Yorke's album is amazing!