Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Crystal Palace Football Club General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:47 AM
That's a paddling

Jasper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJasper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJasper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJasper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJasper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJasper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJasper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJasper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJasper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJasper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJasper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHeagle
Not Vardy. If we risk spending 750k+ on a striker who has only played in the Conference, it would be madness to then stick him out on the wing. If we sign Vardy it won't be cheap, and we have a history of killing strikers careers - not another. If we sign Vardy he should be played up front, or its just a waste, for the same amount we could get a decent winger from League One.
Do we?
Old 01-05-2012, 10:53 AM

Windsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is here
If that is how Dougie sees us progressing next year then I suspect he is looking for us to play more centrally and without wingers. I do hope that Galzier's fan prepares himself for that.

A flat 4-4-2 has looked quite effective this season and perhaps Dougie sees that as being an option - plus we know that he sees a diamond formation as his favourite and so he may be looking to secure the right personnel over the summer to make that system work.

If so, I think a team of the following could be really quite exciting.

Speroni
RB--Paddy--Gardner/New CB--Parr
Jedi
RM---Williams
Ambrose
Murray--Zaha

Allowing new signings of a ST to come in for / cover for Murray. A new Right sided CM and a new RB. It also gives Jedi cover in O'Keefe.

The 4-2-3-1 is a great counter-attacking formation and is particularly effective away. At home, having 2 DM's has proved to be not potent enough and so perhaps a 4-1-2-1-2 with the right personnel may well be better for us there.

It will be interesting to see what happens over the summer.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:55 AM

Sp1Eagle Sam the man is hereSp1Eagle Sam the man is hereSp1Eagle Sam the man is hereSp1Eagle Sam the man is hereSp1Eagle Sam the man is hereSp1Eagle Sam the man is hereSp1Eagle Sam the man is hereSp1Eagle Sam the man is hereSp1Eagle Sam the man is hereSp1Eagle Sam the man is hereSp1Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by the kooch
Cadogan + Vardy
So we spend 750k + on the top goal scorer in the conference and stick him on the wing.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:01 AM
The invisible poster

Mickey Gilley : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMickey Gilley : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMickey Gilley : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMickey Gilley : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMickey Gilley : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMickey Gilley : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMickey Gilley : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMickey Gilley : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMickey Gilley : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMickey Gilley : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMickey Gilley : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I see a few people are suggesting a formation with Ambose in a central role. No harm talking about it I guess, but we know it's not going to happen.

He'll play out wide in whatever formation we end up with, as he has done every season since he's been here.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:01 AM

selhursthoover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietselhursthoover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietselhursthoover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietselhursthoover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietselhursthoover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietselhursthoover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietselhursthoover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietselhursthoover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietselhursthoover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietselhursthoover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietselhursthoover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woosie
According to Rich Cawley, Freedman reckons Wilf can get 15-20 goals in a central role next season. Does this mean he sees Wilf playing as a striker? I'd be excited but he said that Scannell would play as a striker at the start of the season just gone and that never really happened.
Been saying it for months.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:03 AM
Watching from Warmington

Big Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp1Eagle
So we spend 750k + on the top goal scorer in the conference and stick him on the wing.
I'm sure in the Vardy thread someone says that he mainly plays wide left already?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19232019
Old 01-05-2012, 11:08 AM

DaveP came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDaveP came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDaveP came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDaveP came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDaveP came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDaveP came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDaveP came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDaveP came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDaveP came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDaveP came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDaveP came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey Gilley
I see a few people are suggesting a formation with Ambose in a central role. No harm talking about it I guess, but we know it's not going to happen.

He'll play out wide in whatever formation we end up with, as he has done every season since he's been here.
Ambrose in a central role with Jedinak is lethal, well it is for me on Football Manager!!!
Old 01-05-2012, 11:14 AM

Beanie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBeanie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBeanie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBeanie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBeanie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBeanie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBeanie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBeanie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBeanie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBeanie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBeanie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrumpy
I think keeping Scannell solely as "back up" is unfair on him IMO. He needs to be at a club where he is first choice. But back to the original post; I think Zaha in a striker role is ideal.
We need back ups - why is it any more unfair on Scannell than on any of the others?
Old 01-05-2012, 11:21 AM
Chamakh's Hairdresser

rhynoeagle is just too good for yourhynoeagle is just too good for yourhynoeagle is just too good for yourhynoeagle is just too good for yourhynoeagle is just too good for yourhynoeagle is just too good for yourhynoeagle is just too good for yourhynoeagle is just too good for yourhynoeagle is just too good for yourhynoeagle is just too good for yourhynoeagle is just too good for you
What kind of striker is Vardy?

Tap in king? Target man? One who gets behind the defence?

Still a lot of noise about us signing him, a few fairly reliable people are suggesting it's still a chance.

Follow me on http://http://twitter.com/RyWalCP
Old 01-05-2012, 11:23 AM

sci-dogg : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesci-dogg : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesci-dogg : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesci-dogg : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesci-dogg : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesci-dogg : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesci-dogg : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesci-dogg : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesci-dogg : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesci-dogg : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesci-dogg : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
This would be harsh on Murray, but I really do feel that Zaha and Scannell can form a special partnership. They link up terrifically well together when they get the chance, know each others games inside out, and are firm friends. The intelligence of Sean's play combined with the raw threat posed by Wilf could be devastating.

Both have developed their games on the flanks, with Sean finding the wide role tougher than Wilf, but if given a chance together in a forward role I think they can flourish.

Wilf + Sean = the new Wright and Bright..!

How terrific would it be to have two of our own leading the line, and what better motivation for all our youngsters to see this. Dougie always states how he is proudest of giving our youth a chance. But has Sean been given a fair crack in his best position?

Please Dougie give this a go, if only for a few games in pre-season.

-----Zaha--Scannell-----
Old 01-05-2012, 11:32 AM
Let it Be

Riccardo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRiccardo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRiccardo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRiccardo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRiccardo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRiccardo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRiccardo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRiccardo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRiccardo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRiccardo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRiccardo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by sci-dogg
This would be harsh on Murray, but I really do feel that Zaha and Scannell can form a special partnership. They link up terrifically well together when they get the chance, know each others games inside out, and are firm friends. The intelligence of Sean's play combined with the raw threat posed by Wilf could be devastating.

Both have developed their games on the flanks, with Sean finding the wide role tougher than Wilf, but if given a chance together in a forward role I think they can flourish.

How terrific would it be to have two of our own leading the line, and what better motivation for all our youngsters to see this. Dougie always states how he is proudest of giving our youth a chance. But has Sean been given a fair crack in his best position?

-----Zaha--Scannell-----
Annnnnnnddddd, you're back in the room.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:44 AM

Chris K Sam the man is hereChris K Sam the man is hereChris K Sam the man is hereChris K Sam the man is hereChris K Sam the man is hereChris K Sam the man is hereChris K Sam the man is hereChris K Sam the man is hereChris K Sam the man is hereChris K Sam the man is hereChris K Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor_Eagle
If so, I think a team of the following could be really quite exciting.

Speroni
RB--Paddy--Gardner/New CB--Parr
Jedi
RM---Williams
Ambrose
Murray--Zaha

Allowing new signings of a ST to come in for / cover for Murray. A new Right sided CM and a new RB. It also gives Jedi cover in O'Keefe.
Given the way O'Keefe has played this season when picked I think he justifies being the RM next to Williams
Old 01-05-2012, 11:45 AM

Windsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris K
Given the way O'Keefe has played this season when picked I think he justifies being the RM next to Williams
Quite possibly. I certainly wouldn't be opposed to that. I suppose it will depend on any in-comings over the summer.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:47 AM

Seaside Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSeaside Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSeaside Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSeaside Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSeaside Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSeaside Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSeaside Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSeaside Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSeaside Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSeaside Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSeaside Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris K
No way, it would be unfair on him to play him out of position. He doesn't have the pace or ability on the ball necessary for a RM, someone like Coppinger would be perfect. O'Keefe should either start in CM, or wait for his chance to play there. He is definitely a talented player, but playing him for the sake of it isn't helpful to anyone.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:48 AM
All views stated are IMHO

glaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp1Eagle
Who plays on the wing then?
Exactly. That's the problem. And anyway, I don't expect us to play 4-4-2 and I don't see Zaha playing as a lone striker.

Personally I'd like to see Zaha on the left side of a genuine front 3, like in the first half vs Notts Forest. Then I'd like to see Ambrose on the right of a genuine front 3 (with no defensive responsibilities), and a striker brought in to play through the middle. It would work with a midfield of Jedinak, O'Keefe and Williams.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:49 AM
Werkself

Latvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is here
Two things from this thread...

1. I always thought Zaha was a striker when he broke into the first team, we just stuck him on the wing because of his pace etc much like we did with Scannell?

2. I saw above that someone said SO'K shouldn't be played out of position but I'm sure when we signed him from Southend he was playing as a wide midfielder anyway. So maybe he can play there?
Old 01-05-2012, 11:50 AM
All views stated are IMHO

glaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is here
I'd like to see:

--------Jedi----O'Keefe-----
-----------Williams----------
Ambrose-----CF--------Zaha

That way, Ambrose and Zaha (our 2 top goalscorers) can scored 10-15 goals each, and hopefully we can get a centre forward in who can score 20 goals. Then with a contribution from the rest we could score enough goals to propel us into being title challengers. I'm not sure people realise how close we are.

That centre midfield would dominate. There's no doubt about that.

Last edited by glaziers fan; 01-05-2012 at 11:54 AM.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:51 AM
Jolene Jolene Jolene...

Woosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latvian Eagle
Two things from this thread...

1. I always thought Zaha was a striker when he broke into the first team, we just stuck him on the wing because of his pace etc much like we did with Scannell?

2. I saw above that someone said SO'K shouldn't be played out of position but I'm sure when we signed him from Southend he was playing as a wide midfielder anyway. So maybe he can play there?
1. Yeah he was, and we did but there was no mention of him playing as a striker unlike there was with Scannell.

2. O'Keefe was actually a winger when he began his career, I believe he can play anywhere across the midfield, but it seems his best position is centre mid.

www.itsoktotalk.wordpress.com

'it would be boring if they won every time right?'

To be, or not to be, that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
And by opposing end them? To die, to sleep,
No more; and by a sleep to say we end
Old 01-05-2012, 11:56 AM

Beanie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBeanie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBeanie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBeanie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBeanie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBeanie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBeanie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBeanie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBeanie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBeanie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBeanie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by sci-dogg

-----Zaha--Scannell-----
Zaha and Scannell would not be Wright and Bright - it would be Wright and Wright. It's rare for a partnership of two little guys (and that doesn't mean short) works at our level. Wright and Bright, AJ and Shipps even going back to Woodruff and Jackson, big guy allowing little guy to thrive. Zaha and Scannell have done well against full backs playing wide, but through the middle against cb I think they'd be out-muscled too often.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woosie
1. Yeah he was, and we did but there was no mention of him playing as a striker unlike there was with Scannell.
It's been mentioned now as it was about this time last year with Scannell. Think that this season Scannell has suffered from his ability to play wide. we needed somebody and he was the best we had, in Zaha's case we now know it was a plan, for Scannell it was necessity. If we get some wingers Scannell may well get more time in the middle.