Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Crystal Palace Football Club General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

View Poll Results: What position would you like to see Zaha playing in?
Up front in Roy's 4-4-2 56 65.88%
On the wing in a 4-3-3/4-5-1 29 34.12%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Old 20-04-2018, 10:22 AM
All views stated are IMHO

glaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is here
4-4-2 and Zaha up front, or Zaha on the wing?

I have long argued that Zaha should be played further forward, and that he was wasted out wide on the wing, and with defensive responsibilities. I believe he is far too good for that, as he has the ability to really hurt teams when in the attacking third. This was not a popular stance to take, and the BBS consensus was that he is better on the wing.

However, starting with Big Sam we have now had 3 successive managers who have looked to play him up front: Big Sam started it and to good effect, with the wins away at Bournemouth and Chelsea that spring to mind. FdB has been clear that Zaha up front was always his plan, and now Roy seems to have decided that Zaha up front for the majority of games is a good idea. We have seen his end product improve month on month and he scored his first Premier League double last weekend. So, I'm now interested to know, in light of this would people still like him to play on the wing, or are people now converted to the idea of him up front?

Last edited by glaziers fan; 20-04-2018 at 10:39 AM.
Old 20-04-2018, 10:25 AM

CPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by glaziers fan View Post
I have long argued that Zaha should be played further forward, and that he was wasted out wide on the wing, and with defensive responsibilities. I believe he is far too good for that, as he has the ability to really hurt teams when in the attacking third. I was shouted down.

However, starting with Big Sam we have now had 3 successive managers who have looked to play him up front: Big Sam started it and to good effect, with the wins away at Bournemouth and Chelsea that spring to mind. FdB has been clear that Zaha up front was always his plan, and now Roy seems to have decided that Zaha up front for the majority of games is a good idea. We have seen his end product improve month on month and he scored his first Premier League double last weekend. So, I'm now interested to know, would people still like him to play on the wing, or are people now converted to the idea of him up front?
Or leave it to Roy.
Old 20-04-2018, 10:28 AM

cockles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcockles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcockles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcockles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcockles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcockles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcockles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcockles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcockles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcockles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcockles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
I have long argued that Zaha should be played further forward, and that he was wasted out wide on the wing, and with defensive responsibilities. I believe he is far too good for that, as he has the ability to really hurt teams when in the attacking third. I was shouted down.
I think you need to get over yourself. You're not a coach or manager at CPFC, just someone with an opinion.

If let's say, you were not "shouted down" would your wishes have then been implemented?
Old 20-04-2018, 10:33 AM

glaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by cockles View Post
I think you need to get over yourself. You're not a coach or manager at CPFC, just someone with an opinion.

If let's say, you were not "shouted down" would your wishes have then been implemented?
Just interested to gauge the current opinion of the Palace fans in general. I'm not that bothered about being shouted down, or whether I'm wrong or right. I respect the BBS as a whole, and there are quite a lot of posters who are happy to have a discussion rather than get into personal slanging matches. I have a lot of respect for them. I just wonder whether the overall opinion of the BBS has changed, and am interested to hear people's views. (Have edited my original post to hopefully keep this discussion on topic.)

Last edited by glaziers fan; 20-04-2018 at 10:48 AM.
Old 20-04-2018, 10:36 AM

GreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is here
Depends who the other players are.

At the moment him central is the most likely we are to get goals. If we had a striker who was both good and in form who was banging them in then him in an attacking 3/4 is very dangerous.
Old 20-04-2018, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatGonzo View Post
Depends who the other players are.

At the moment him central is the most likely we are to get goals. If we had a striker who was both good and in form who was banging them in then him in an attacking 3/4 is very dangerous.
Agree to an extent, but wouldn't we need to find two strikers better than Wilf? Or do you believe that if we had a lone striker who was banging them in that you'd prefer him on the wing? Because even if we had a regular goalscorer who was scoring for fun there's an argument that Zaha up front with him rather than just a lone striker and Wilf on the wing would be more effective!
Old 20-04-2018, 10:51 AM
Selhurstian

EagleSE24 Sam the man is hereEagleSE24 Sam the man is hereEagleSE24 Sam the man is hereEagleSE24 Sam the man is hereEagleSE24 Sam the man is hereEagleSE24 Sam the man is hereEagleSE24 Sam the man is hereEagleSE24 Sam the man is hereEagleSE24 Sam the man is hereEagleSE24 Sam the man is hereEagleSE24 Sam the man is here
I'd quite like to see him in a Salah position. Neither winger nor centre forward, but at the same time both.

Zaha in a fluid, interchangeable front three would be great to see. But we don't have the players for that at the moment.
Old 20-04-2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleSE24 View Post
I'd quite like to see him in a Salah position. Neither winger nor centre forward, but at the same time both.

Zaha in a fluid, interchangeable front three would be great to see. But we don't have the players for that at the moment.
The way Liverpool play they push their full backs forward into midfield, especially Alexander-Arnold. They then play with an interchangeable front 3 who stay up front and rarely track back. Think Roy would have a heart attack if he contemplated that for us!
Old 20-04-2018, 11:10 AM

Illeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIlleagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIlleagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIlleagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIlleagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIlleagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIlleagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIlleagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIlleagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIlleagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIlleagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:

Exactly. Talking about wingers is pretty 1970's and they don't really exist anymore. Wouldn't consider Hazard, Sane, Salah, Willian,Mane,Sanchez as wingers, but they are certainly not Centre forwards.

Would love to see Andy Johnson in his prime leading our current attack. That would be pretty scary.
Old 20-04-2018, 11:13 AM

MAW : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMAW : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMAW : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMAW : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMAW : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMAW : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMAW : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMAW : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMAW : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMAW : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMAW : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I like the idea of an interchangeable front three, but this would require three Wilfs.
Old 20-04-2018, 11:27 AM

aj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAW View Post
I like the idea of an interchangeable front three, but this would require three Wilfs.
God could you imagine
Old 20-04-2018, 11:28 AM

aj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is here
We currently set up with a 4-4-2 but our midfield 4 is narrow, regardless of who plays it seems. This means that when Wilf is up top he drops back in to an attacking left mid position. It is from here that he is so dangerous.
Old 20-04-2018, 11:31 AM
Borderline lunacy

stevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is here
Quote:

To a large degree, that's what he does now - though in a two, rather than a three, of course.

I cycled to and from every Palace Premier League match, plus four cup games, in 2016-17 to raise money for the wonderful Contact charity, who support families with disabled children.

Read more about it here https://cyclingtheseason.wordpress.com

And read more about Contact here www.contact.org.uk
Old 20-04-2018, 11:48 AM
I'm thinking about it

Eddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is here
Horses for courses and all that. As Gonzo says it also depends who else is available/ who we sign
Old 20-04-2018, 11:49 AM

100% Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet100% Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet100% Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet100% Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet100% Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet100% Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet100% Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet100% Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet100% Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet100% Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet100% Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Didn't Hart and Burley play Wilf up front? Can't remember to be honest.
Old 20-04-2018, 11:57 AM
Lovely

brighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is here
He's at his best when he can isolate a defender and run at them. Often that's from a wide position but it doesn't have to be. He should have a free role to roam across the forward positions looking for these spaces, and to an extent that's what he's doing now. I agree with gf that I don't really want to see him doing defensive work, but he is strong in that area too.
Old 20-04-2018, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100% Palace View Post
Didn't Hart and Burley play Wilf up front? Can't remember to be honest.
You're right. Think he played up front on his home debut, and scored putting a shot into the roof of the net with the outside of his boot! Was that under Burley? Think he made his debut as a sub away from home under Hart and that he was on the wing for that one! (I'm sure posters with a more accurate memory will be quick to correct if that's wrong!)
Old 20-04-2018, 12:18 PM

GB2506 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGB2506 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGB2506 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGB2506 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGB2506 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGB2506 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGB2506 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGB2506 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGB2506 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGB2506 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGB2506 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
I have long argued that Zaha should be played further forward, and that he was wasted out wide on the wing, and with defensive responsibilities. I believe he is far too good for that, as he has the ability to really hurt teams when in the attacking third. This was not a popular stance to take, and the BBS consensus was that he is better on the wing.

However, starting with Big Sam we have now had 3 successive managers who have looked to play him up front: Big Sam started it and to good effect, with the wins away at Bournemouth and Chelsea that spring to mind. FdB has been clear that Zaha up front was always his plan, and now Roy seems to have decided that Zaha up front for the majority of games is a good idea. We have seen his end product improve month on month and he scored his first Premier League double last weekend. So, I'm now interested to know, in light of this would people still like him to play on the wing, or are people now converted to the idea of him up front?
He's at his best one on one with a full back (Watford at home we were awful for 80 minutes until Roy put him out wide). With our current options he is better down the middle as we don't have anyone else. Playing down the middle can sometime lead to him playing with his back to goal which is where he is wasted.

If we sign a first choice striker in the summer or by some miracle Benteke finds some form then Zaha should be out wide destroying every full back that gets in his way, however Roy seems to like 4-4-2 and if that formation continues then Zaha will be one of the 2.
Old 20-04-2018, 12:37 PM
Adult Member

David of Kent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavid of Kent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavid of Kent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavid of Kent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavid of Kent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavid of Kent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavid of Kent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavid of Kent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavid of Kent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavid of Kent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavid of Kent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
If we're 442 then he's the roaming one of the 2 up front. If we're 4231 or 433 then he could be one of the wide attacking players if we give sufficient cover behind so he's not having to spend half the game tracking opposition full backs
The darkest moments of our lives are not to be buried and forgotten, rather they are a memory to be called upon for inspiration to remind us of the unrelenting human spirit and our capacity to overcome the intolerable.
Old 20-04-2018, 12:56 PM
I'm thinking about it

Eddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is here
Quote:
You're right. Think he played up front on his home debut, and scored putting a shot into the roof of the net with the outside of his boot! Was that under Burley? Think he made his debut as a sub away from home under Hart and that he was on the wing for that one! (I'm sure posters with a more accurate memory will be quick to correct if that's wrong!)
He played as a striker a fair bit under Burley but once we signed Vaughan he moved wider. He also played as a striker occasionally under Dougie - the league cup win against Crawley is one example when he scored twice in a central role.