Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Crystal Palace Football Club General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

View Poll Results: As of 05/02/17 who should be first choice Goalkeeper
1 Julian Speroni 311 26.22%
13 wayne Hennessey 178 15.01%
30 Steve Mandanda 561 47.30%
Another 136 11.47%
Voters: 1186. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-04-2015, 08:41 AM
Watching from Warmington

Big Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is here
The arguments about him not displacing Speroni for errors are pretty thin. The keeper is usually the last player to be replaced unless there is a total lack of confidence or some huge errors. Jules may have made the odd error but our defensive record is still good as evidenced by our far superior GD than the other lower half teams. Hennessey is what late 20s? Still young for a keeper. Jules has to lose the shirt rather than Wayne grab it this season, next year is a whole new game.

Spending big on a keeper can't be one of the high priorities at the moment.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19232019
Old 10-04-2015, 08:44 AM
EAGLES

Billyd Sam the man is hereBillyd Sam the man is hereBillyd Sam the man is hereBillyd Sam the man is hereBillyd Sam the man is hereBillyd Sam the man is hereBillyd Sam the man is hereBillyd Sam the man is hereBillyd Sam the man is hereBillyd Sam the man is hereBillyd Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latvian Eagle View Post
Is Hennessey really that bad? People seem to be writing him off based on very little evidence.
Hes not really had a good season for some time.
Old 10-04-2015, 09:03 AM
Wondering why it matters!

Martin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is here
I think that the key players/defenders faith in Jules will be the most significant factor for Pards. If the key/senior players are coming off and giving Jules a hard time or Pards picks up on glances/silences in the post match analysis then I think he would be replaced. Being a nice guy probably helps a little but not that much. If Jedinak or Dann were asking questions of him then I reckon that would be the trigger for Pards to look at his options. Until that happens he is safe. Pretty obvious that he has been passing that test all season.

What is also certain that changing any keeper is a big decision because his understanding with each of the back 4 is a big deal and despite training together it's never the same. They understand each other's weaknesses and strengths.

Just on the latter I am surprised how often Delaney chooses to push the ball back to Speroni putting him under pressure as he looks uncomfortable in those situations and his distribution isn't the best as we know. But Damo keeps on pushing it back to him. The others less so although I wouldn't say they avoid it.

Another certainty is that whoever replaces Speroni eventually will have a tough time winning over the fan base. Always hard following a legend and Jules contribution (a la Kolinkins) has been immense over the years.
Old 10-04-2015, 09:11 AM
Wondering why it matters!

Martin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by kolinkins View Post
It's not about being here longer. It is about contribution.

Murray has contributed to promotion and now has 5 goals in 5 games. So if he misses a sitter v Sunderland it will be more easy to forgive than Sanogo because we know what he can do for us.

Likewise Speroni - if he drops a clanger, because we know how good he has been for us, winning 4 POTY awards, we know that a mistake is just that and not an indication on ability. Hennessey does not have that luxury

There are other examples too - Delaney/Hangeland, Ward/Kelly etc etc.

The player is not deemed better for being here longer; he is just excused some errors because of his overall contribution to the club
K appreciate the clarification. But I think part of it is that with new players their contribution isn't recognised in the first place but I get your personal stance on it. Sanogo could do three cartwheels and score a towering header and he would be slagged off by some. For instance he was on for 11 mins and comments were very negative despite challenging and bringing the ball down and laying it off a coupe of times. Did OK in difficult situation and the negativity seems over the top to me but it seems to be the way it goes.
Old 11-04-2015, 09:02 AM
Associate member of AWM

Buglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBuglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBuglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBuglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBuglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBuglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBuglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBuglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBuglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBuglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBuglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friskey View Post

For starters some individual clubs have two keepers a fair bit better than him, never mind the entire league....
Lol
Old 11-04-2015, 09:08 AM
Associate member of AWM

Buglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBuglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBuglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBuglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBuglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBuglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBuglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBuglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBuglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBuglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBuglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latvian Eagle View Post
Is Hennessey really that bad? People seem to be writing him off based on very little evidence.
Hennessey looks a really good keeper, I'm sure he'll get his chance and when he does I hope he grasps it with both hands and plays so superbly that he makes Jules redundant.

At the moment though we have an excellent goalkeeper keeping him out of the team.
Old 11-04-2015, 11:26 PM

greybot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgreybot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgreybot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgreybot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgreybot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgreybot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgreybot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgreybot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgreybot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgreybot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgreybot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by maestro View Post
If Wayne leaves this summer for whatever reason I would be more than happy with Pantilimon, he'll probably have a shocker at the wkend but I think he is the best keeper in the bottom half by far.
Tallest keeper in the prem got chipped and let in FOUR again like he did against Villa! Speroni in his third premier league season has only ever conceded FOUR once and it took two freak worldies last season against Fulham. I reckon we should go for Myhill as he's the next best keeper in the bottom half of the prem, just hope he doesn't have a shocker now I've said that

https://www.gofundme.com/supporting-katerina

Last edited by greybot; 11-04-2015 at 11:34 PM.
Old 11-04-2015, 11:52 PM

Owngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by greybot View Post
Tallest keeper in the prem got chipped and let in FOUR again like he did against Villa! Speroni in his third premier league season has only ever conceded FOUR once and it took two freak worldies last season against Fulham. I reckon we should go for Myhill as he's the next best keeper in the bottom half of the prem, just hope he doesn't have a shocker now I've said that
Dowie was after him, he must be getting on. By the way, who keeps him out of the welsh side???
Old 12-04-2015, 04:54 AM

SA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by maestro View Post
If Wayne leaves this summer for whatever reason I would be more than happy with Pantilimon, he'll probably have a shocker at the wkend but I think he is the best keeper in the bottom half by far.
Whoops!
Old 12-04-2015, 06:25 AM

Friskey Sam the man is hereFriskey Sam the man is hereFriskey Sam the man is hereFriskey Sam the man is hereFriskey Sam the man is hereFriskey Sam the man is hereFriskey Sam the man is hereFriskey Sam the man is hereFriskey Sam the man is hereFriskey Sam the man is hereFriskey Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buglebob View Post
Lol
It's true though.

Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal off the top of my head. So that's 6-7 then there's at least 5 starters at other clubs that are better than him (Stoke, Man U, Liverpool, Man City, Newcastle, Southampton and Villa).

So that's 14 keepers that are better than him and it's close with a few others. I love Jules but to say there's only 2-3 keepers better than him in the league is completely delusional.

On current for he certainly keeps his place though.
Old 12-04-2015, 09:41 AM

Owngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is here
Quote:
It's true though.

Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal off the top of my head. So that's 6-7 then there's at least 5 starters at other clubs that are better than him (Stoke, Man U, Liverpool, Man City, Newcastle, Southampton and Villa).

So that's 14 keepers that are better than him and it's close with a few others. I love Jules but to say there's only 2-3 keepers better than him in the league is completely delusional.

3 games on the trot where he is back to the form of second half of last season
Old 12-04-2015, 09:52 AM

Drew Peacock : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDrew Peacock : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDrew Peacock : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDrew Peacock : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDrew Peacock : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDrew Peacock : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDrew Peacock : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDrew Peacock : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDrew Peacock : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDrew Peacock : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDrew Peacock : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
We are pushing for the top 10 WITH Speroni. Why change that? The man is a legend, class keeper and rightly deserves his place. He'll be between the sticks next year.
Old 12-04-2015, 12:28 PM

DundeeFan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDundeeFan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDundeeFan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDundeeFan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDundeeFan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDundeeFan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDundeeFan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDundeeFan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDundeeFan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDundeeFan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDundeeFan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
It's true though.

Mignolet, Szczesny, Forster and Guzan?! I wouldn't necessarily say they're better than Speroni. The first three play for stronger sides than Palace, but individually they're nothing special and hardly put Speroni to shame at least. I also think Joe Hart is vastly overrated down South and nowhere near the quality of a top 4 side, but that's maybe just me.

The likes of Courtois/Cech, Lloris, and De Gea are the best in the league by quite a distance. And the likes of Joe Hart are just behind that.

Speroni is nowhere near that level, but he's not exactly struggling to keep up with other keeper's in the league either.

Heaton, Schmeichel, Green, McGregor, Pantilimon, Guzan, Foster, Adrian, Fabianski, Krul, Howard and Begovic are the starting keepers for the teams positioned 8th-20th. Speroni doesn't exactly look out of place when in amongst with those names. In fact, I'd say he's better than the majority of those, but it's purely subjective. For a side like Palace, there is absolutely no reason to replace your keeper when he's still a decent PL keeper.
Old 12-04-2015, 12:51 PM
Under Fascist Rule

pauldrulez Sam the man is herepauldrulez Sam the man is herepauldrulez Sam the man is herepauldrulez Sam the man is herepauldrulez Sam the man is herepauldrulez Sam the man is herepauldrulez Sam the man is herepauldrulez Sam the man is herepauldrulez Sam the man is herepauldrulez Sam the man is herepauldrulez Sam the man is here
Begovic, Mignolet and Forster are all a level above those mentioned.
Old 12-04-2015, 01:03 PM
Associate member of AWM

Quote:
It's true though.

TBH I cannot for the life of me see how anyone would consider all on your list to be better than Jules. Vorm? Really?

I still think that a lot of people are blind to his strengths and take him for granted. I'm dreading the next occasion he makes the slightest mistake, which will undoubtedly happen at some stage.
Old 12-04-2015, 01:35 PM
Sans Peur

RDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldrulez View Post
Both Foster and Mignolet are as error prone if not more error prone than Speroni.

EDIT: Misread that as Ben Foster, the West Brom keeper.

Last edited by RDSdaEAGLE; 12-04-2015 at 02:31 PM.
Old 12-04-2015, 01:38 PM

DundeeFan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDundeeFan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDundeeFan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDundeeFan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDundeeFan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDundeeFan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDundeeFan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDundeeFan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDundeeFan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDundeeFan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDundeeFan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Begovic I'd agree with you on. Forster and Mignolet I can't agree with.
Old 12-04-2015, 01:44 PM

Begovic not as good as Speroni, yet he keeps Butland out of Stoke team? Bizarre thoughts on here. Yes, Jules has had 3 good games on the trot but if you can't accept he is on the wane you are blind and don't see the need for a stick.
Old 12-04-2015, 01:52 PM
Nothing to see here.

Arron Sam the man is hereArron Sam the man is hereArron Sam the man is hereArron Sam the man is hereArron Sam the man is hereArron Sam the man is hereArron Sam the man is hereArron Sam the man is hereArron Sam the man is hereArron Sam the man is hereArron Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyd View Post
Hes not really had a good season for some time.
Seeing as he's hardly played for the season and a half since we brought him due to Speroni's form and was getting over a long term injury before that, I find your comment rather harsh. Ask the Welsh fans how he's played for them recently, I'm sure they'll tell you he's been pretty good.

Last edited by Arron; 12-04-2015 at 01:58 PM.
Old 12-04-2015, 01:58 PM
Captain Fun.

Benzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is here
Quote:
Agreed. Forster in particular had looked in fabulous nick for some time before his injury.

On the Jules front, great to see him playing like his old reliable self again over the last month.

http://youtu.be/Jviw33M56UI