Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Crystal Palace Football Club General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 15-04-2017, 09:28 AM
Old and jaded

davech came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdavech came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdavech came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdavech came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdavech came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdavech came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdavech came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdavech came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdavech came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdavech came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdavech came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
The fact that the Brighton and Palace "rivalry" only started in 1976 explains why many older fans like myself will always regard Millwall as our true rivals. As a schoolboy I used to go to Millwall v Palace in the 1970s and always went in the home end as it was the safest place to be.

I am pleased to see Brighton will be joining us in the Premier League and look forward to taking six points off them next season.
Old 15-04-2017, 09:34 AM

ExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
As a schoolboy I used to go to Millwall v Palace in the 1970s and always went in the home end as it was the safest place to be.
Same mate who ran across pitch at Brighton went into the Millwall end at the Den with his Palace top on.

When I asked him what happened? He replied nothing for the first few minutes, but then I got my head kicked in

He actually now is a very sensible and comfortably off individual in his 60s after a career in IT.
Old 15-04-2017, 09:36 AM
Everything is temporary

firesign came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietfiresign came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietfiresign came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietfiresign came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietfiresign came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietfiresign came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietfiresign came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietfiresign came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietfiresign came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietfiresign came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietfiresign came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I'm looking forward to Brighton being promoted so that we can six points off them on their to way relegation
Old 15-04-2017, 09:39 AM

Panther : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePanther : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePanther : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePanther : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePanther : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePanther : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePanther : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePanther : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePanther : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePanther : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePanther : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
[QUOTE=Chris B;13576063]The fact that the Brighton and Palace "rivalry" only started in 1976 explains why many older fans like myself will always regard Millwall as our true rivals. As a schoolboy I used to go to Millwall v Palace in the 1970s and always went in the home end as it was the safest place to be.

/QUOTE]

I did that once but as I cheered Palace's emergence onto the pitch, a large hand was placed on my shoulder and a gruff voice said, "Don't do that, sonny, you're hurting me ears." All in all, I probably got off lightly.

As to Brighton, I just regard them as another club. If I was going to hate anyone, it would be the Chelsea/Man Utd/ etc set for their sheer arrogance.
Old 15-04-2017, 09:40 AM

jimmy the gent : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejimmy the gent : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejimmy the gent : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejimmy the gent : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejimmy the gent : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejimmy the gent : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejimmy the gent : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejimmy the gent : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejimmy the gent : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejimmy the gent : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejimmy the gent : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I've heard from a few older chaps that there was always trouble at Brighton, dating back to the early seventies. An extension from the Mods and Rockers days, pretty much. The fact that Mullery and Big Mal couldn't stand each other, then the 76 game subsequent late 70s early 80s meetings, cemented what was already a bit of a goer as a fierce rivalry.

Best way to consider it, is of the two, who would you most like to beat in an FA Cup Final? Brighton all day long for me.
Old 15-04-2017, 09:44 AM

cdm61 Sam the man is herecdm61 Sam the man is herecdm61 Sam the man is herecdm61 Sam the man is herecdm61 Sam the man is herecdm61 Sam the man is herecdm61 Sam the man is herecdm61 Sam the man is herecdm61 Sam the man is herecdm61 Sam the man is herecdm61 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by WashDCEagle View Post
I saw the trolling thread was shut down, but I would like to discuss what is becoming a strong possibility that Brighton and Palace will meet on the pitch next season. For me, and I imagine for others as well, it's the first time we'll see Palace and Brighton play. So, what's this derby all about? Any stories or memories you can share to give me a healthy disrespect for Brighton are welcome.
We played the weed a few seasons ago in the Championship...so unless you've become a fan only due to our ascent to the Premiership it's not like a decade since we met. That win at the Tampax lies second in my all time games of 49 years supporting Palace.
Old 15-04-2017, 09:45 AM
Aching Arms

LONDONMAN Sam the man is hereLONDONMAN Sam the man is hereLONDONMAN Sam the man is hereLONDONMAN Sam the man is hereLONDONMAN Sam the man is hereLONDONMAN Sam the man is hereLONDONMAN Sam the man is hereLONDONMAN Sam the man is hereLONDONMAN Sam the man is hereLONDONMAN Sam the man is hereLONDONMAN Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by WashDCEagle View Post
I saw the trolling thread was shut down, but I would like to discuss what is becoming a strong possibility that Brighton and Palace will meet on the pitch next season. For me, and I imagine for others as well, it's the first time we'll see Palace and Brighton play. So, what's this derby all about? Any stories or memories you can share to give me a healthy disrespect for Brighton are welcome.

This is always a difficult rivalry to explain to anyone that was not around in the early to mid 1970's when it really took off and also you may need a bit of an understanding of the way football culture has evolved.

Geographically, Millwall and Charlton are Palace's nearest rivals. However, to have a rivalry of any sorts, you really need to have regular fixtures against each other, which largely rules out Charlton, who Palace have only played sporadically since both clubs were formed in 1905, with the biggest clashes only coming in the past 30 years or so.

Millwall are far more long standing rivals, they are an older club than Palace, having formed in 1885, but it should be pointed out, 'Millwall' is an East London placename and between 1885 and 1910, they played in their original area on the other side of the Thames on the Isle of Dogs.

This is really why Millwall's main rivals have always been West Ham, they both started as factory workers' teams and had a fierce rivalry before Palace had even been established.

The reason the rivalry with Brighton took off really comes from the fact that by 1976, Palace had begun a third season in the old Division Three (now called League One), Charlton had been promoted in 1975, Millwall in 1976, so in the 1976/77 season, Brighton actually were Palace's geographically nearest fixture.

There had already been clashes between supporters in previous years. most notably in the Summer of 1973 when a huge travelling Palace support visited Brighton for a pre-season friendly, with plenty of 'action' off the pitch.

The 1976/77 season was pivotal as Palace and Brighton clashed not only in the League twice, but another three fixtures in the FA Cup, back in the day when unlimited replays used to occur to settle a draw, Palace drew 2-2 at Brighton, 1-1 at Selhurst Park and then the infamous clash at 'neutral' Stamford Bridge in November 1976, was the game where the rivalry actually exploded.

Palace, possibly against the play, held a 1-0 lead, Brighton had a couple of goals disallowed, and then had a penalty awarded in the 2nd half, which they scored, only for the ref to order a retake for encroachment, although it's widely agreed it was Palace captain Jim Cannon who ran in before the kick!

The re-take was saved, leading to Brighton manager Alan Mullery, who already had a history of arguments with previous Palace boss Malcolm Allison and the then Palace boss Terry Venables absolutely losing the plot, swearing and making gestures at nearby Palace fans (for which he was fined at a later disciplinary meeting) - and so the off field rivalry had truly spread through both clubs amongst players and management alike and has carried on for over forty years, even though at most points in history, Brighton have had to get promotion to have a brief chance of playing Palace for a season or two and then falling behind for a decade or more.

Visit http://achingarms.co.uk/

Last edited by LONDONMAN; 15-04-2017 at 09:49 AM.
Old 15-04-2017, 09:56 AM

cdm61 Sam the man is herecdm61 Sam the man is herecdm61 Sam the man is herecdm61 Sam the man is herecdm61 Sam the man is herecdm61 Sam the man is herecdm61 Sam the man is herecdm61 Sam the man is herecdm61 Sam the man is herecdm61 Sam the man is herecdm61 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by LONDONMAN View Post
This is always a difficult rivalry to explain to anyone that was not around in the early to mid 1970's when it really took off and also you may need a bit of an understanding of the way football culture has evolved.

Geographically, Millwall and Charlton are Palace's nearest rivals. However, to have a rivalry of any sorts, you really need to have regular fixtures against each other, which largely rules out Charlton, who Palace have only played sporadically since both clubs were formed in 1905, with the biggest clashes only coming in the past 30 years or so.

Millwall are far more long standing rivals, they are an older club than Palace, having formed in 1885, but it should be pointed out, 'Millwall' is an East London placename and between 1885 and 1910, they played in their original area on the other side of the Thames on the Isle of Dogs.

This is really why Millwall's main rivals have always been West Ham, they both started as factory workers' teams and had a fierce rivalry before Palace had even been established.

The reason the rivalry with Brighton took off really comes from the fact that by 1976, Palace had begun a third season in the old Division Three (now called League One), Charlton had been promoted in 1975, Millwall in 1976, so in the 1976/77 season, Brighton actually were Palace's geographically nearest fixture.

There had already been clashes between supporters in previous years. most notably in the Summer of 1973 when a huge travelling Palace support visited Brighton for a pre-season friendly, with plenty of 'action' off the pitch.

The 1976/77 season was pivotal as Palace and Brighton clashed not only in the League twice, but another three fixtures in the FA Cup, back in the day when unlimited replays used to occur to settle a draw, Palace drew 2-2 at Brighton, 1-1 at Selhurst Park and then the infamous clash at 'neutral' Stamford Bridge in November 1976, was the game where the rivalry actually exploded.

Palace, possibly against the play, held a 1-0 lead, Brighton had a couple of goals disallowed, and then had a penalty awarded in the 2nd half, which they scored, only for the ref to order a retake for encroachment, although it's widely agreed it was Palace captain Jim Cannon who ran in before the kick!

The re-take was saved, leading to Brighton manager Alan Mullery, who already had a history of arguments with previous Palace boss Malcolm Allison and the then Palace boss Terry Venables absolutely losing the plot, swearing and making gestures at nearby Palace fans (for which he was fined at a later disciplinary meeting) - and so the off field rivalry had truly spread through both clubs amongst players and management alike and has carried on for over forty years, even though at most points in history, Brighton have had to get promotion to have a brief chance of playing Palace for a season or two and then falling behind for a decade or more.
You missed 1974 away we took their end I was 13 To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 15-04-2017, 10:04 AM

Joe.L : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJoe.L : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJoe.L : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJoe.L : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJoe.L : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJoe.L : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJoe.L : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJoe.L : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJoe.L : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJoe.L : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJoe.L : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by LONDONMAN View Post

Perfect explanation

I guess it's a generational thing to who you see as our main rival. But as someone in their 40's it is Brighton all day long for me. And my 12 year old son would say the same so I guess that has been passed to down to him from me as we've only played Brighton a handful of times since he's been coming to Palace with me.
Old 15-04-2017, 10:09 AM

elgrande came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietelgrande came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietelgrande came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietelgrande came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietelgrande came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietelgrande came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietelgrande came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietelgrande came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietelgrande came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietelgrande came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietelgrande came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Brighton....that is all
Old 15-04-2017, 10:10 AM

Mr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is here
I've never felt the Brighton rivalry the way I hate millwall. Been going 29 years so I missed the Brighton rivalry when it started.
Old 15-04-2017, 10:12 AM
XXVII

little al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel View Post
I got my band to play Glad All Over at my sisters 40th birthday party in the heart of Brighton where she lives.
Still one of my proudest moments, especially as my 9 year old son came up on stage and sang it with me!
I got this to happen for the benefit of REMF
Old 15-04-2017, 10:15 AM

piaktow : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepiaktow : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepiaktow : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepiaktow : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepiaktow : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepiaktow : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepiaktow : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepiaktow : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepiaktow : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepiaktow : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepiaktow : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I think there needs to be a poll of Brighton vs Millwall rivalry based on what side of Croydon you live. I always felt the Brighton rivalry was a bigger deal for the South of Croydon/Surrey fans. I mean my dad went to Palace religiously throughout the 70s, lived/worked in Lambeth the whole time, despised Millwall and didn't care one bit about Brighton. One person doesn't prove anything but I wonder if it's a common thread.
Old 15-04-2017, 10:34 AM

Panther : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePanther : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePanther : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePanther : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePanther : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePanther : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePanther : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePanther : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePanther : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePanther : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePanther : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Good point. As someone dragged up in Saff London and probably as close to New Cross as Norwood, Brighton always seemed to me to be too distant to be concerned with.
Old 15-04-2017, 10:53 AM
Out but not down

Duffle Coat came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDuffle Coat came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDuffle Coat came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDuffle Coat came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDuffle Coat came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDuffle Coat came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDuffle Coat came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDuffle Coat came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDuffle Coat came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDuffle Coat came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDuffle Coat came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Daniels View Post
I was at the goldstone in 1974. Opening match of the season. Old 3rd Division. Palace in their end. I was 14 at the time and made a small fortune picking up all the 50 pieces being thrown around.
Story!
Old 15-04-2017, 11:04 AM
Binned by Muderators

Brett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is here

Last edited by Brett; 15-04-2017 at 11:07 AM.
Old 15-04-2017, 11:08 AM
Palace/Panionios

waddoneagle Sam the man is herewaddoneagle Sam the man is herewaddoneagle Sam the man is herewaddoneagle Sam the man is herewaddoneagle Sam the man is herewaddoneagle Sam the man is herewaddoneagle Sam the man is herewaddoneagle Sam the man is herewaddoneagle Sam the man is herewaddoneagle Sam the man is herewaddoneagle Sam the man is here
******* hate Brighton, Bring it on
Old 15-04-2017, 11:20 AM
Aching Arms

LONDONMAN Sam the man is hereLONDONMAN Sam the man is hereLONDONMAN Sam the man is hereLONDONMAN Sam the man is hereLONDONMAN Sam the man is hereLONDONMAN Sam the man is hereLONDONMAN Sam the man is hereLONDONMAN Sam the man is hereLONDONMAN Sam the man is hereLONDONMAN Sam the man is hereLONDONMAN Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdm61 View Post
You missed 1974 away we took their end I was 13 To view the link you have to Register or Login

This is how that location looks now

Visit http://achingarms.co.uk/
Old 15-04-2017, 11:48 AM
chubby browns joke writer

strolling bones Sam the man is herestrolling bones Sam the man is herestrolling bones Sam the man is herestrolling bones Sam the man is herestrolling bones Sam the man is herestrolling bones Sam the man is herestrolling bones Sam the man is herestrolling bones Sam the man is herestrolling bones Sam the man is herestrolling bones Sam the man is herestrolling bones Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by waddoneagle View Post
******* hate Brighton, Bring it on
Yep .. 4 years now since we broke them into a million pieces, so another helping of heartbreak is due .

I'm not perfect i'm Palace, which is like perfect... plus awesome !
Old 15-04-2017, 12:34 PM
Sarcastic User

beef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is here
I've been reading their forum recently and found it interesting to read about the relief of promotion (as it's a way to help with Brighton's debt).