Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 15-04-2017, 12:43 PM
Benevolence personified

Vince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by beef View Post
I've been reading their forum recently and found it interesting to read about the relief of promotion (as it's a way to help with Brighton's debt).
Provided they invest their PL windfall in paying off said debts of course, rather than splashing out on expensive players and salaries.

One can only expect Brighton will do things 'the right way'.
Old 15-04-2017, 12:48 PM

WashDCEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWashDCEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWashDCEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWashDCEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWashDCEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWashDCEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWashDCEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWashDCEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWashDCEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWashDCEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWashDCEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by blanksight View Post
OP only heard of us when we got promoted. The championship gets little coverage in America.
That's exactly right. There is no coverage of the championship in the US. Until Palace were promoted, I would've had no real way of finding out that CPFC was really the club I wanted to support. I was a Bayern fan until Palace were promoted, so I knew very little about the Premier League or about English football, in general. I really only knew about the English clubs that Bayern would see in the Champion's League. Otherwise, all these other English clubs only existed on paper because I never saw them play. So, that's why I haven't seen any Palace/Brighton matches. There was no way to see them.
Old 15-04-2017, 12:53 PM

WashDCEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWashDCEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWashDCEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWashDCEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWashDCEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWashDCEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWashDCEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWashDCEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWashDCEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWashDCEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWashDCEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by LONDONMAN View Post
This is always a difficult rivalry to explain to anyone that was not around in the early to mid 1970's when it really took off and also you may need a bit of an understanding of the way football culture has evolved.

Geographically, Millwall and Charlton are Palace's nearest rivals. However, to have a rivalry of any sorts, you really need to have regular fixtures against each other, which largely rules out Charlton, who Palace have only played sporadically since both clubs were formed in 1905, with the biggest clashes only coming in the past 30 years or so.

Millwall are far more long standing rivals, they are an older club than Palace, having formed in 1885, but it should be pointed out, 'Millwall' is an East London placename and between 1885 and 1910, they played in their original area on the other side of the Thames on the Isle of Dogs.

This is really why Millwall's main rivals have always been West Ham, they both started as factory workers' teams and had a fierce rivalry before Palace had even been established.

The reason the rivalry with Brighton took off really comes from the fact that by 1976, Palace had begun a third season in the old Division Three (now called League One), Charlton had been promoted in 1975, Millwall in 1976, so in the 1976/77 season, Brighton actually were Palace's geographically nearest fixture.

There had already been clashes between supporters in previous years. most notably in the Summer of 1973 when a huge travelling Palace support visited Brighton for a pre-season friendly, with plenty of 'action' off the pitch.

The 1976/77 season was pivotal as Palace and Brighton clashed not only in the League twice, but another three fixtures in the FA Cup, back in the day when unlimited replays used to occur to settle a draw, Palace drew 2-2 at Brighton, 1-1 at Selhurst Park and then the infamous clash at 'neutral' Stamford Bridge in November 1976, was the game where the rivalry actually exploded.

Palace, possibly against the play, held a 1-0 lead, Brighton had a couple of goals disallowed, and then had a penalty awarded in the 2nd half, which they scored, only for the ref to order a retake for encroachment, although it's widely agreed it was Palace captain Jim Cannon who ran in before the kick!

The re-take was saved, leading to Brighton manager Alan Mullery, who already had a history of arguments with previous Palace boss Malcolm Allison and the then Palace boss Terry Venables absolutely losing the plot, swearing and making gestures at nearby Palace fans (for which he was fined at a later disciplinary meeting) - and so the off field rivalry had truly spread through both clubs amongst players and management alike and has carried on for over forty years, even though at most points in history, Brighton have had to get promotion to have a brief chance of playing Palace for a season or two and then falling behind for a decade or more.
Thanks for taking the time to explain some of this to me. A lot of what you've said is also true about American Football (the NFL). I grew up a fan of the Green Bay Packers. Our "natural" rivals are the Chicago Bears and Minnesota Vikings. They're geographically very close. Chicago and Green Bay are the two oldest teams in the sport that still exist today. Minnesota didn't start playing until 1961 and a lot of Green Bay fans that lived in Minnesota dumped the Packers and became Viking fans. So, in both cases, there is a clear and organic dislike. However, we've also had tremendous temporary rivalries when we've been very good and routinely played meaningful games against another team that was also very good at the time. To me, the geographic or natural rivalries are permanent, but not always more intense than the temporary ones. I think a rivalry is really meaningful when the matches you play actually mean something and you can't really manufacture that feeling - you just know it when you feel it, that you don't like the other side very much.
Old 15-04-2017, 01:38 PM
Bearded since 2004.

Dal : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDal : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDal : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDal : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDal : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDal : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDal : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDal : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDal : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDal : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDal : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Thought it was 1-1 at the Gallstone and 2-2 at Selhurst.

"You won't be listening anyway - you'll be picking your bum or listening to Pulp...'

"Use a plate! I've hoovered in here today, you cock!"

"Don't be a Gay all your life!"

"Does that mean our children will have monkey's skulls?"

"I don't want to inhale your urine!"

"Have you farted into a sponge or something?"

"You absolute pretentious ballsack!"

"You're a hairy, gay, Special Needs tramp!"

"Oh Google your own fat, flabby arse!"
Old 15-04-2017, 06:52 PM
Keep St George

King William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by WashDCEagle View Post
I saw the trolling thread was shut down, but I would like to discuss what is becoming a strong possibility that Brighton and Palace will meet on the pitch next season. For me, and I imagine for others as well, it's the first time we'll see Palace and Brighton play. So, what's this derby all about? Any stories or memories you can share to give me a healthy disrespect for Brighton are welcome.
They are total *****. Thanks

Blaugrana al vent,
un crit valent
Tenim un nom, el sap tothom
Barça, Barça, Barça
Old 15-04-2017, 09:06 PM

colonel : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecolonel : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecolonel : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecolonel : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecolonel : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecolonel : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecolonel : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecolonel : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecolonel : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecolonel : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecolonel : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Legend!
Old 15-04-2017, 09:11 PM

Bryan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBryan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBryan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBryan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBryan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBryan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBryan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBryan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBryan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBryan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBryan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Was on the A40 today and spotted a Brighton sticker in the back of the car in front. Mentioned this to my kids and in an instant my 8 year old boy had removed his seatbelt and proceeded to drop his trousers and moon at the car in front between the front two seats.

Tells you all you need to know about Brighton.
Old 15-04-2017, 09:20 PM

lee_cpfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelee_cpfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelee_cpfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelee_cpfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelee_cpfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelee_cpfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelee_cpfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelee_cpfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelee_cpfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelee_cpfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelee_cpfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
Was on the A40 today and spotted a Brighton sticker in the back of the car in front. Mentioned this to my kids and in an instant my 8 year old boy had removed his seatbelt and proceeded to drop his trousers and moon at the car in front between the front two seats.

Tells you all you need to know about Brighton.
Tells you that he has a classless father
Old 15-04-2017, 09:20 PM
Golden Oldie

Ruskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdm61 View Post
You missed 1974 away we took their end I was 13 To view the link you have to Register or Login
Thanks for that.

Was in the North Stand that day. Oh what larks was had. We avoided Hove station afterwards, walked along the sea front and enjoyed fish and chips by the Palace Pier.
Old 15-04-2017, 09:56 PM
What, no boat?

TAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by strolling bones View Post
Yep .. 4 years now since we broke them into a million pieces, so another helping of heartbreak is due .
I couldn't have put it better.
Old 15-04-2017, 10:20 PM

PGHSTEVE is the cheese to my macaroniPGHSTEVE is the cheese to my macaroniPGHSTEVE is the cheese to my macaroniPGHSTEVE is the cheese to my macaroniPGHSTEVE is the cheese to my macaroniPGHSTEVE is the cheese to my macaroniPGHSTEVE is the cheese to my macaroniPGHSTEVE is the cheese to my macaroniPGHSTEVE is the cheese to my macaroniPGHSTEVE is the cheese to my macaroniPGHSTEVE is the cheese to my macaroni
Great topic by the OP, one I've been interested in learning more about. There has been some great input as well, so thanks for that.

My first experience with Brighton was back in 2005 or maybe 2006 when Setanta Sports in the US had a Championship match on between the clubs. It was at Brighton and can remember it looked like their pitch was in a local community park. Needless to say, I was in shock thinking, "this is supposed to be Palace's main rival, they play in a park ffs." A 3-2 come from behind win made it memorable.

After that it was the two playoff matches that were televised here.
Old 15-04-2017, 10:24 PM

Thefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is here
I've been ST holder since 1991... and I couldn't give a monkeys bollocks about them tbh Irrelevant club
Old 15-04-2017, 10:28 PM
techno sapiens

the drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by WashDCEagle View Post
I saw the trolling thread was shut down, but I would like to discuss what is becoming a strong possibility that Brighton and Palace will meet on the pitch next season. For me, and I imagine for others as well, it's the first time we'll see Palace and Brighton play. So, what's this derby all about? Any stories or memories you can share to give me a healthy disrespect for Brighton are welcome.
I'm a reasonable man, a man of knowledge some may say. I've travelled the world and as I've become older, have become tolerant and grown, finding depth and nuances both emotionally and spiritually in my being

But I'll say one thing, I hate those ***** and every time we beat them it brings a satisfaction not much else can. The hatred is real for those jumped up bastards and I cannot wait for next season for Wilf to smash them all over again. *****.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIMGb0p9hrQ
Old 15-04-2017, 11:16 PM
77/78 Admiral Away Torso

Del Fenner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDel Fenner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDel Fenner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDel Fenner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDel Fenner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDel Fenner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDel Fenner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDel Fenner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDel Fenner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDel Fenner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDel Fenner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by LONDONMAN View Post
The re-take was saved, leading to Brighton manager Alan Mullery, who already had a history of arguments with previous Palace boss Malcolm Allison and the then Palace boss Terry Venables absolutely losing the plot, swearing and making gestures at nearby Palace fans (for which he was fined at a later disciplinary meeting)
Would the Palace fan who threw a full cup of scalding coffee over Mullery care to step forward?
Old 15-04-2017, 11:33 PM
Benevolence personified

Vince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is here
Many others my age saw a substantial increase to our pocket money allocation courtesy of the 50p pieces raining down on our heads in that shitty little corner of the Gallstone.

Well worth the risk of blindness.
Old 15-04-2017, 11:45 PM

SamTheOldGoat : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSamTheOldGoat : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSamTheOldGoat : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSamTheOldGoat : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSamTheOldGoat : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSamTheOldGoat : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSamTheOldGoat : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSamTheOldGoat : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSamTheOldGoat : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSamTheOldGoat : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSamTheOldGoat : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Who remembers that game at the Withdean when we were sat in a scaffolding stand and scored a last minute goal to win. Was it 3-2 and McAnuff !?
Old 15-04-2017, 11:58 PM
Bunned by Miderators

Brett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is here
Is anyone still up Peter Ward?
Old 16-04-2017, 03:32 AM

hdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is here
I have many memories of trips down to the Goldstone Ground for Palace v Brighton games.

I can recall a fruit machine coming through a pub window with a Brighton fan still holding on to the metal playing lever.

A banger startling a police dog which then turned on its handler and bit the copper in the leg.

Brighton fans taunting the Palace fans from the Goldstone Terrace without realising that Palace were standing directly behind them having got in through an open gate.

My mate getting thumped by a fellow Palace fan who thought that he was a Brighton fan but regretted it when my mate thumped him back when he saw him on the terrace at Selhurst at a Palace home game.

Coach One being confronted by loads of Brighton fans running down the hill after an extra time cup win .
The funny thing was that when Brighton saw that we were not running away they ran away back up the hill.

Palace v Brighton has always had a history of violence and this escalated after the infamous Alan Mullery "Palace Aint Worth That" Ten Bob Note incident after Palace beat Brighton in an FA Cup replay at a very wet Stamford Bridge in 1975.
Old 16-04-2017, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdeagle View Post
I have many memories of trips down to the Goldstone Ground for Palace v Brighton games.

I can recall a fruit machine coming through a pub window with a Brighton fan still holding on to the metal playing lever.

A banger startling a police dog which then turned on its handler and bit the copper in the leg.

Brighton fans taunting the Palace fans from the Goldstone Terrace without realising that Palace were standing directly behind them having got in through an open gate.

My mate getting thumped by a fellow Palace fan who thought that he was a Brighton fan but regretted it when my mate thumped him back when he saw him on the terrace at Selhurst at a Palace home game.

Coach One being confronted by loads of Brighton fans running down the hill after an extra time cup win .
The funny thing was that when Brighton saw that we were not running away they ran away back up the hill.

Palace v Brighton has always had a history of violence and this escalated after the infamous Alan Mullery "Palace Aint Worth That" Ten Bob Note incident after Palace beat Brighton in an FA Cup replay at a very wet Stamford Bridge in 1975.
I can barely believe that people say we speak the same language. "Ten Bob?" I'm trying to learn proper English, but it has been like learning a foreign language to be sure.
Old 16-04-2017, 04:14 AM
I'm watching you

biggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
Is anyone still up Peter Ward?
Alan, Alan Mullery.

Just how many gobs, clambering for his knob? Must be the old chum brigade.

The party on the left, are now the party on the right.