Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 08-02-2018, 09:47 AM

cad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP Satellite View Post
From memory, Neil Everitt used to share the coach stewarding with big Gerry Mansfield (very aptly named for that trip!) - I vividly remember stopping at a sevice station and enjoying a laugh with some Wolves fans (they had just won the 2nd Division Title ahead of Chelsea and Clough’s Forest.

I believe our coach broke down and we limped into Birmingham and got a works bus home to complete an incredible day - our last ever trip in Division Three!
Coach actually broke down when we got to Wrexham. After the game we waited for a replacement coach in the waiting room at Wrexham bus garage, which was just a short distance down the road from the ground. Most had drink on the bus, but at that time I was the only one who had a half bottle of whisky on me. We celebrated with that until the replacement bus turned up.

We stopped at a pub in West Bromwich on the way back.

A sad footnote is that, although we had lost touch, heard that Gerry passed away last year.
Old 08-02-2018, 09:48 AM
Probationary User

Wiltshire_red would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningWiltshire_red would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningWiltshire_red would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningWiltshire_red would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningWiltshire_red would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningWiltshire_red would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningWiltshire_red would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningWiltshire_red would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningWiltshire_red would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningWiltshire_red would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningWiltshire_red would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turning
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden Eagle View Post
Thanks for that, but where's the link ?
Sorry about that, but it won’t allow to add a link until I’ve done more posts.

However, someone else has kindly added.
Old 08-02-2018, 10:01 AM
Probationary User

Wiltshire_red would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningWiltshire_red would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningWiltshire_red would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningWiltshire_red would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningWiltshire_red would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningWiltshire_red would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningWiltshire_red would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningWiltshire_red would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningWiltshire_red would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningWiltshire_red would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningWiltshire_red would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turning
A sad memory from that time, John Lyons, the player who scored our equaliser at 2-2, when we thought we had the point we needed for promotion, committed suicide 5 years later in 1982, at the young age of 26. He was playing for Colchester at that time, and had also played for Millwall and Cambridge after leaving Wrexham.
Old 08-02-2018, 10:37 AM

N Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is here
Sure this has been discussed before but there is the forgotten side . The final game of the season sure Wrexham losing was key but there was another side who could of snatched it Rotherham needed to win by I think 6 goals maybe seven which was pretty far fetched and dismissed except the hit three in the first half , before running out of steam.
Old 08-02-2018, 11:24 AM

Nigelbrag came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigelbrag came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigelbrag came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigelbrag came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigelbrag came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigelbrag came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigelbrag came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigelbrag came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigelbrag came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigelbrag came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigelbrag came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiltshire_red View Post
A sad memory from that time, John Lyons, the player who scored our equaliser at 2-2, when we thought we had the point we needed for promotion, committed suicide 5 years later in 1982, at the young age of 26. He was playing for Colchester at that time, and had also played for Millwall and Cambridge after leaving Wrexham.
That is very sad to hear, i had not heard of that tragic event before which makes it even more sad to read about it now, i remember when he scored and thinking oh no we let it all slip away after that long coach journey, but then we finished the game in real style.
A very belated message to the late John Lyons R.I.P
I still remember that memorable game and what a fantastic Palace turn out on was it a Friday night? if my memory serves me right, but remember having to wait until Saturday for was it Mansfield's result, again not quite sure after all those years ago.
Old 08-02-2018, 11:39 AM
Probationary User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigelbrag View Post
That is very sad to hear, i had not heard of that tragic event before which makes it even more sad to read about it now, i remember when he scored and thinking oh no we let it all slip away after that long coach journey, but then we finished the game in real style.
A very belated message to the late John Lyons R.I.P
I still remember that memorable game and what a fantastic Palace turn out on was it a Friday night? if my memory serves me right, but remember having to wait until Saturday for was it Mansfield's result, again not quite sure after all those years ago.
It was a Wednesday night and we were playing Mansfield on the Saturday and had to win, but lost 1-0. It was that 4th goal that really killed us off, as it meant we could no longer draw at home to Mansfield. The game that nightmares are made of for us Wrexham fans.
Old 08-02-2018, 01:10 PM

Am Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPeanutSeller View Post
The goals are here (kindly posted by WANPALACE on another thread)

To view the link you have to Register or Login

33.44 mins (Goals actually start at 36.38 in after the Venables/Sansom chat)
Fantastic. Have waited 40 years to see half-decent highlights of the game. Cheers.
Old 08-02-2018, 01:20 PM

Am Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is here
Quote:
It was a Wednesday night and we were playing Mansfield on the Saturday and had to win, but lost 1-0. It was that 4th goal that really killed us off, as it meant we could no longer draw at home to Mansfield. The game that nightmares are made of for us Wrexham fans.
Saw you got over 8,000 for a game in The National League recently. Impressive.

Billy Ashcroft was my favourite player of yours back in the day. Thunderous centre-forward who made Jeff Lynne look not at all hirsute.

Last edited by Am Phibian; 08-02-2018 at 01:39 PM.
Old 08-02-2018, 01:29 PM
Probationary User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Am Phibian View Post
Saw you got over 8,000 for a game in The National League recently. Impressive.

Billy Ashcroft was my favourite player of yours back in the day. Thunderous centre-forward who made Jeff Lynne look hirsute.
Yes, that was against Tranmere, good game, good atmosphere, and 2 teams that should be back in the football league....hopefully next season

Yes he was a big old fashioned centre forward who left for Middlesbrough at the end of the 77 season along with our manager John Neal.
Old 08-02-2018, 05:07 PM
like a shot in the dark

CP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by cad View Post
Coach actually broke down when we got to Wrexham. After the game we waited for a replacement coach in the waiting room at Wrexham bus garage, which was just a short distance down the road from the ground. Most had drink on the bus, but at that time I was the only one who had a half bottle of whisky on me. We celebrated with that until the replacement bus turned up.

We stopped at a pub in West Bromwich on the way back.

A sad footnote is that, although we had lost touch, heard that Gerry passed away last year.
Sad to learn about Gerry passing away, I always remember him with Mary McCulloch at the time, she is sister to Adrian, a massive Palace fan that still travels to all the matches.

Remember John Lyons, but sad to hear about his death too, if I’m correct, he was still at Wrexham the following Summer (1978) when Palace, Charlton, Millwall and Wrexham all toured in Sweden pre-season (although the English and Welsh teams did not play eachother!) - it was the first time I can remember Palace wearing advertising (on the back of the shirts).

Other names that spring to mind, Mel Sutton, Arfon Griffiths, Bobby Shinton and Graham Whittle, younger brother to Alan, who had three highly memorable seasons at Palace between 1973-1976, a name older fans will never forget - ‘We Want Whittle’ still sticks in my mind, in the days when all four sides at Selhurst used to join in together!

Last edited by CP Satellite; 08-02-2018 at 05:38 PM.
Old 08-02-2018, 05:21 PM
like a shot in the dark

CP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is here
Quote:
A footnote about that 4th Palace goal, before the match, as it was Palace’s last, we felt we had to have a two goal margin of victory and then rely on Wrexham not beating Mansfield in their last match - I personally had freaked out when Wrexham came back from 2-0 down to equalise at 2-2 with about 10 minutes left, I had only just turned 14 and couldn’t bring myself to watch the rest of the match, just staring disconsolately at the floor!

I only got to see those two late goals from Jeff Bourne and Rachid Harkouk over 28 years later when they were put on the Palace Centenary DVD in 2005!
Old 08-02-2018, 05:31 PM
Probationary User

Peter Aslett was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldPeter Aslett was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldPeter Aslett was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldPeter Aslett was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldPeter Aslett was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldPeter Aslett was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldPeter Aslett was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldPeter Aslett was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldPeter Aslett was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldPeter Aslett was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldPeter Aslett was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the world
I was on the coach to Wrexham that night. Great memories tinged with sadness as a few weeks later Mickey Howe sadly died at the tragic young age of 29 one of my travelling companions. My coach got stoned on the motorway slip road by some disgruntled Wrexham supporters. Can't think Why?.
Old 08-02-2018, 05:45 PM
like a shot in the dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Aslett View Post
I was on the coach to Wrexham that night. Great memories tinged with sadness as a few weeks later Mickey Howe sadly died at the tragic young age of 29 one of my travelling companions. My coach got stoned on the motorway slip road by some disgruntled Wrexham supporters. Can't think Why?.
I remember our coach on the way up to the game, approaching a car, whose driver door was flung open just as we were passing it - the door came clean off, but the coach just carried on it's merry way!

Always remember when Wrexham got those two goals back, the local Police in the Palace end celebrated them - and got a good pasting from some of our supporters - things used to happen in the 70s that would look impossible now!
Old 08-02-2018, 06:10 PM

laths : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelaths : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelaths : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelaths : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelaths : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelaths : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelaths : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelaths : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelaths : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelaths : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelaths : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
The Mansfield match I must have gone through 40 roll ups in my bedroom listening to the radio .
Old 08-02-2018, 08:57 PM

Louis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPeanutSeller View Post
The goals are here (kindly posted by WANPALACE on another thread)

33.44 mins (Goals actually start at 36.38 in after the Venables/Sansom chat)
Great clip of Venables, Sansom and Brian Moore in the TV studio.
Old 08-02-2018, 09:22 PM

Mr Bo Jangles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMr Bo Jangles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMr Bo Jangles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMr Bo Jangles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMr Bo Jangles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMr Bo Jangles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMr Bo Jangles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMr Bo Jangles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMr Bo Jangles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMr Bo Jangles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMr Bo Jangles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by laths View Post
The Mansfield match I must have gone through 40 roll ups in my bedroom listening to the radio .
Was at the Palace ground on the Saturday, the 1st team played for the reserves and there was a big celebration after, several thousand fans there. The players kept coming over to the fans to get updates from the radio coverage of the Wrexham match.
Great day as was the Wrexham match, was young then and parents came and picked me up from the ground at about 4-30am. What a night, the real ups and downs of being a Palace fan in a 10 minute spell.
Old 08-02-2018, 09:59 PM

bigGcpfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbigGcpfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbigGcpfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbigGcpfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbigGcpfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbigGcpfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbigGcpfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbigGcpfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbigGcpfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbigGcpfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbigGcpfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bo Jangles View Post
Was at the Palace ground on the Saturday, the 1st team played for the reserves and there was a big celebration after, several thousand fans there. The players kept coming over to the fans to get updates from the radio coverage of the Wrexham match.
Great day as was the Wrexham match, was young then and parents came and picked me up from the ground at about 4-30am. What a night, the real ups and downs of being a Palace fan in a 10 minute spell.
As I said earlier I was 1 of around 50 Palace at the Mansfield game. We could only afford to go to one of the games so decided to wait and see if we beat Wrexham first. A great day so many memories and to think that was only to go up to the 2nd division. The passion in those days was on another level. Can't help but feel the premiership has sucked some of the life out of today's football.
Old 08-02-2018, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigGcpfc View Post
As I said earlier I was 1 of around 50 Palace at the Mansfield game. We could only afford to go to one of the games so decided to wait and see if we beat Wrexham first. A great day so many memories and to think that was only to go up to the 2nd division. The passion in those days was on another level. Can't help but feel the premiership has sucked some of the life out of today's football.
The Prem, too many foreign players and all-seater stadiums. Just sterilised everything and has made things more detached. Apart from the over the top hooliganism it was just much more fun the whole football experience back in the day.
Old 08-02-2018, 11:20 PM
Probationary User

After contributing and reading your comments on this thread, I started a similar thread on the Wrexham RedPassion site, although over 40 years ago, Wrexham fans also remember that game clearly, but as you can imagine with vastly different feelings.

Although only a 3rd division game the passion from both sets of fans is football as it was always meant to be.

I can’t post a link yet, if you are interested in the comments you will have to addd www and copy and paste this into your browser.

Old 09-02-2018, 09:50 AM

smithfieldeagle knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!smithfieldeagle knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!smithfieldeagle knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!smithfieldeagle knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!smithfieldeagle knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!smithfieldeagle knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!smithfieldeagle knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!smithfieldeagle knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!smithfieldeagle knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!smithfieldeagle knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!smithfieldeagle knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!
Glad you posted this. I was only 12 at the time and remember it well but everyone i mention it to thinks I'm talking bollocks