Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum

Notices

Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum All things computer, internet, mobile, tablet and video game related.

Old 22-10-2014, 03:39 PM
Legal Imbecile and BBS Prophet of Doom (Semi-Retired)

James Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is here
iTunes 12 - Warning!

Do NOT upgrade, if like most sensible, level headed, people you value the sidebar.

Apple doesn't like the sidebar and in the last release (before today) it was hidden, but most of us discovered that you could reinstate it by clicking on 'View' then 'Show Sidebar'. However, I made the mistake of 'upgrading' to iTunes 12 this morning, without seeing any of the warnings posted in the forums (and there are many) and the side bar has been removed permanently.

Apple do a lot right, but their pig-headed, arrogant, attitude that they know best and the User has to accept whatever Apple decides is quite wrong.

Fortunately, I had saved a version of iTunes 11, so I uninstalled this latest monstrosity and reverted. Anyone else doing that will need to take care, because you do get an error to the effect that the file Itunes Library.itl 'cannot be read as it was created by a later version of iTunes', but this is easily fixed by replacing the file (located in Windows 7 machines in [Libraries] Music/iTunes) with one of the backup versions in the folder 'Previous iTunes Libraries'.

My advice - do NOT 'upgrade'.
Old 22-10-2014, 03:50 PM
Lost in translation

BBK Sam the man is hereBBK Sam the man is hereBBK Sam the man is hereBBK Sam the man is hereBBK Sam the man is hereBBK Sam the man is hereBBK Sam the man is hereBBK Sam the man is hereBBK Sam the man is hereBBK Sam the man is hereBBK Sam the man is here
I like it. It's not like it's hard to locate Playlists, Store, Films, Podcasts etc.
Old 22-10-2014, 05:01 PM
Banned again

SBB13 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSBB13 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSBB13 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSBB13 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSBB13 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSBB13 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSBB13 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSBB13 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSBB13 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSBB13 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSBB13 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
It is the biggest pile of shite ever.
I didn't think it was possible to worse than the last one but I was wrong.

The lack of copy and paste facility on album covers is bonkers and the whole process of naming tracks has been slowed right down. The look of it is horrible and the still haven't reinstated cover flow or full screen album cover view.

Utter crap.
Old 22-10-2014, 09:00 PM

James Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBK View Post
I like it. It's not like it's hard to locate Playlists, Store, Films, Podcasts etc.
It isn't - but what's wrong with wanting them all in the same place?

I like to drag and drop my 'music' (mainly news and comedy shows) into Playlists - and that's far more difficult with the new layout.

The new iTunes is horrible. Why do Apple have to 'fix' things that are not broken?
Old 23-10-2014, 02:02 AM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Now you tell me...

To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 23-10-2014, 02:47 AM
Ex-Connecticut

CT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is here
I wouldn't be surprised if the music publishers/movie studios aren't behind it.
It seems to me each iteration of iTunes is changed to make it evermore only compatible with stuff that you buy from the iTunes store. Anything which isn't in the neat package as purchased from the store is more and more difficult to handle with each iteration.

However, James, you can still drag and drop to create a playlist. If you chose file>new>playlist the sidebar comes back and you can drag and drop songs/podcasts etc into the new playlist in the sidebar.

Last edited by CT_Palace; 23-10-2014 at 02:53 AM.
Old 23-10-2014, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Palace View Post
However, James, you can still drag and drop to create a playlist. If you chose file>new>playlist the sidebar comes back and you can drag and drop songs/podcasts etc into the new playlist in the sidebar.
I know that - but it really isn't the same. I don't want a separate sidebar just for for podcasts - I want everything in one place.
Old 23-10-2014, 06:03 AM
XXVII

little al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is here
itunes has always been shit.
Old 23-10-2014, 06:09 AM

Marki came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMarki came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMarki came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMarki came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMarki came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMarki came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMarki came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMarki came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMarki came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMarki came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMarki came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
There are quite a few alternatives out there but my main concerns are backing up my iphone and ipad and updating device software on these alternatives. As my work installs profiles that disable iCloud to allow me to use work email on them I need 'physical' backups.
Old 24-10-2014, 07:31 AM
Rollercoaster rider

RednBlue : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRednBlue : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRednBlue : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRednBlue : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRednBlue : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRednBlue : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRednBlue : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRednBlue : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRednBlue : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRednBlue : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRednBlue : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
Do NOT upgrade, if like most sensible, level headed, people you value the sidebar.

Apple doesn't like the sidebar and in the last release (before today) it was hidden, but most of us discovered that you could reinstate it by clicking on 'View' then 'Show Sidebar'. However, I made the mistake of 'upgrading' to iTunes 12 this morning, without seeing any of the warnings posted in the forums (and there are many) and the side bar has been removed permanently.

Apple do a lot right, but their pig-headed, arrogant, attitude that they know best and the User has to accept whatever Apple decides is quite wrong.
Old 24-10-2014, 07:36 AM
johnkettleyisaweatherman

eddieskyclad came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteddieskyclad came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteddieskyclad came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteddieskyclad came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteddieskyclad came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteddieskyclad came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteddieskyclad came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteddieskyclad came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteddieskyclad came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteddieskyclad came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteddieskyclad came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by little al View Post
This

Nearly 7 million views!!!

WOW!
Old 24-10-2014, 07:49 AM
T-T-T-T-Techno Boogie

FraserH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFraserH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFraserH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFraserH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFraserH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFraserH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFraserH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFraserH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFraserH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFraserH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFraserH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
The worst piece of software ever written.
Old 24-10-2014, 08:28 AM
Semper Idem

Maz has disabled reputation
Apple are worse than Microsoft ever was.

.פɐppɐ פɐppɐ Hǝʎ

Old 24-10-2014, 08:36 AM
Up On The Triangle

fang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
You clearly have never used Windows ME. Apple have a long way to go before they match that abomination.
Old 24-10-2014, 08:41 AM

Jerry Murphy's Fringe came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJerry Murphy's Fringe came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJerry Murphy's Fringe came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJerry Murphy's Fringe came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJerry Murphy's Fringe came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJerry Murphy's Fringe came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJerry Murphy's Fringe came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJerry Murphy's Fringe came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJerry Murphy's Fringe came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJerry Murphy's Fringe came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJerry Murphy's Fringe came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by RednBlue View Post
Thanks RednBlue.
Am a big Mac fan and I agree to some extent with James. I find the updates are rather arbitrary and I think Apple could do more to explain the how's and why's.
I was very irritated the last time the sidebar disappeared (10 to 11?), and there does seem an anti sidebar agenda.
However, I like the updated look, the change in icon to red and now I have a sidebar - all seems fine.
Temporarily irritating rather than a show stopper.
Old 24-10-2014, 08:48 AM

ollie_porter : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineollie_porter : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineollie_porter : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineollie_porter : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineollie_porter : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineollie_porter : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineollie_porter : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineollie_porter : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineollie_porter : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineollie_porter : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineollie_porter : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I dont seem to be having any issues with it... (yet)

But there again I rarely use podcasts.

Yet to need to create a playlist! But from what you've said James, I cant do this via drag and drop which is madness!
Old 24-10-2014, 08:52 AM
Slightly Unstable

Location: A spherical nickel-iron alloy in the middle of a nothingness of unknown quantity
Santos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is here
Some people never learn.
Old 24-10-2014, 09:29 AM
Semper Idem

Maz has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by fang View Post
You clearly have never used Windows ME. Apple have a long way to go before they match that abomination.
Worse than Vista?

But the thing about MS is at least they give you a choice. I'm getting a new office PC today : and I guess I now have no choice about which version of Itunes I must download (as well as going through the whole process of transference because I am not allowed to sync from more than one computer).

.פɐppɐ פɐppɐ Hǝʎ

Old 24-10-2014, 09:34 AM

weltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by little al View Post
amen brother.

SaulAlinsky
Old 24-10-2014, 09:34 AM

weltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
they certainly are heading that way.

SaulAlinsky