Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 11-01-2002, 12:54 AM
_

candide sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkcandide sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkcandide sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkcandide sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkcandide sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkcandide sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkcandide sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkcandide sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkcandide sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkcandide sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkcandide sings up the sun in a dawn so very dark
bertrand russell-why i'm not a christian.

if anyone has read it and understood anyhing at all of his dialogue with the bishop (cant remember if thats what he is), raise your hand (or something)

it is very good until that, though

ps that dialogue part is probably very good,too.
just way over my head.

Last edited by candide; 11-01-2002 at 12:58 AM.
Old 11-01-2002, 01:08 AM
The Walking Carpet

wookiee : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewookiee : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewookiee : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewookiee : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewookiee : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewookiee : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewookiee : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewookiee : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewookiee : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewookiee : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewookiee : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally posted by Sunny Fan

Did you ever finish it?
All 607 small-print pages
Christmas came at the wrong time for Haruki Murakami, Sunny.

So it's gone into the 'reading at the moment' pile alongside True Tales of American Life edited by Paul Auster, Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates and The Fish Can Sing by Halldor Laxness.

When it's finished I'll let you know, don't worry.
Old 11-01-2002, 01:10 AM
pura vida

Sunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Funny that, Paul Auster's True Tales is in my 'to read' pile as well.
Just finished Jonathon Coe's 'The accidental woman'; very disappointing considering his other work. Don't bother, but read his other stuff (think What a Carve Up! was mentioned early in the thread; I'd also recommend The House of Sleep
Old 11-01-2002, 04:40 AM
An Alpha Deplorable.

Mat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
One of my New Years resolutions ( one of which was to post far less on this bloody BBS ) was to try and read some slightly more 'challanging' literature so I am current working my way through 'Crime and Punishment'.

After it I intend to wallow in some cheap, badly written but fast moving Pulp ! Any suggestions ?
Old 11-01-2002, 01:27 PM

dickie  - why do you have to be so good?dickie  - why do you have to be so good?dickie  - why do you have to be so good?dickie  - why do you have to be so good?dickie  - why do you have to be so good?dickie  - why do you have to be so good?dickie  - why do you have to be so good?dickie  - why do you have to be so good?dickie  - why do you have to be so good?dickie  - why do you have to be so good?dickie  - why do you have to be so good?
Quote:
Originally posted by Jules
Just to back up a couple of things said earlier in this thread.
And a couple of new ones - the funniest book I read last year was "Frost in my Moustache" a travel book by Tim Moore - similar style to Bill Bryson I guess. Has anyone else read that or either of his 2 more recent books?

Finally, I've just limped through "No Logo" by Naomi Klein, a long and trendy book about the backlash against the marketing of big companies like Nike and Starbucks. Very interesting and stimulating in parts, but always a bit too serious to compete when it's a choice between reading it or watching Sky Sports.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Jules
Have recently read The Wrong Way Home by Tim Moores. He overlanded it back to Aus from the UK. It certainly had it's moments. I liked his portrait of all the people he met on the way back, The Iraqi's, Iranian's, Turk's, Pakistani's and Afghan's. Certainly worth a read.

No Logo. Having heard many of you talk about it I decided to dig it out a day or two ago and am a few pages in and think I will ditch it. I regard myself as a bit of an anti capitalist, got no car, been on demo's avoid Macdonald's, Starbuck's Etc. Do my bit for charity. I thought why am I reading this book. Naomi appears to be philosophising about the anti capitalist culture whilst herself creating a bit of a brand in No Logo. By buying books like this and Fast Food Nation, McLibel, The Estate We are in Etc. I am just subscribing to the culture that I abhor.

Unless anyone can tell me why I should read it or can suggest something better, I think it will be back to the travelogues and Biog's for me.
Old 11-01-2002, 02:23 PM
Lovely

brighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by Mat ov CPFC
One of my New Years resolutions ( one of which was to post far less on this bloody BBS ) was to try and read some slightly more 'challanging' literature so I am current working my way through 'Crime and Punishment'.

After it I intend to wallow in some cheap, badly written but fast moving Pulp ! Any suggestions ?
Not pulp, but I can highly recommend The Idiot by Dostoevsky.
Old 15-01-2002, 03:20 AM

Ben H : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBen H : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBen H : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBen H : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBen H : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBen H : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBen H : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBen H : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBen H : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBen H : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBen H : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
'Stop the Ride, I want to get off' by Dave Courtney.
Old 15-01-2002, 10:08 PM

PeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is here
Currently reading the quite excellent Wind Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami. One of the best books I have read in ages.
Old 15-01-2002, 10:17 PM
Thinking...

Jaffa is thinking of tomorrow. With the sunset in your eyesJaffa is thinking of tomorrow. With the sunset in your eyesJaffa is thinking of tomorrow. With the sunset in your eyesJaffa is thinking of tomorrow. With the sunset in your eyesJaffa is thinking of tomorrow. With the sunset in your eyesJaffa is thinking of tomorrow. With the sunset in your eyesJaffa is thinking of tomorrow. With the sunset in your eyesJaffa is thinking of tomorrow. With the sunset in your eyesJaffa is thinking of tomorrow. With the sunset in your eyesJaffa is thinking of tomorrow. With the sunset in your eyesJaffa is thinking of tomorrow. With the sunset in your eyes
Just finished Bill Brysons Notes from a Small Island and Notes from a Big Country. Fantastic. Also James Patterson Black Friday (a.k.a Black Market) and Violets are Blue.
Old 16-01-2002, 06:50 AM
Anonymous Coward

Quote:
Originally posted by Jimmy The Lips
White teeth is really boring.

I read 'McCarthy's Bar' by Pete McCarthy recently, and made a complete tit of myself with my constsnt sniggering and laughing out loud. It is undoubtedly the funniest book I've ever read.

The most shocking book I ever read was called 'Confessions of Idi Amin'. Don't know the author.

PS Never, ever admit to liking John Grisham.
NOOOOOOOO!!!!!

the funniest book EVER is ' around Ireland with a fridge ' by Tony Hawks.
i got such a boll*cking from the missus because i had half of the plane looking at me, i was laughing so much

JAMES PATTERSON RULES - Just finished 'Roses are Red'; Alex Cross has to be the best charachter ever dreamed up, but could never be accused of having the nickname 'lucky' though.....
Old 16-01-2002, 02:04 PM

Richard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by El Aguila
"The Code of the Woosters". Again. No other Wodehouse fans on this BBS?
Only caught up with this thread on its revival, but definitely count me in - especially the Blandings books.
Old 16-01-2002, 05:24 PM
...well, I was in '99...

Andy in Rome came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAndy in Rome came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAndy in Rome came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAndy in Rome came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAndy in Rome came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAndy in Rome came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAndy in Rome came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAndy in Rome came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAndy in Rome came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAndy in Rome came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAndy in Rome came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Me too!

Just finished reading "Thank You, Jeeves". The plot lines in all of Woodhouse's books are almost identical, but are peppered with comic incidents which are often only just this side of surreal.

Great light reading if you don't want to tax your brain too much.
Old 16-01-2002, 10:04 PM

Lee B : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLee B : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLee B : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLee B : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLee B : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLee B : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLee B : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLee B : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLee B : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLee B : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLee B : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally posted by Mat ov CPFC

Anything by Carl Hiassen, Ellmore Leornard, Chandler, or Ellroy.

Just finished the Buddha of Suburbia, not bad.

Now starting an autbiography of Bob Dylan, see how we go.
Old 16-01-2002, 10:06 PM
Self Portrait

g23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhino
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee B
Anything by Carl Hiassen, Ellmore Leornard, Chandler, or Ellroy.
He said badly written. Although why anyone'd want to read badly written novels is beyond me entirely.
Old 16-01-2002, 10:46 PM
Sad Moon Risin'

Location: 3951 miles (6358 km) (3433 nautical miles) from Selhurst
jlmatthews : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejlmatthews : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejlmatthews : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejlmatthews : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejlmatthews : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejlmatthews : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejlmatthews : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejlmatthews : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejlmatthews : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejlmatthews : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejlmatthews : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I never learned how to read!!!!
"It hurts us here," Jose Luis Luviano, a fan in Mexico City, said as he punched his chest. Tears melted the Mexican flags painted on his cheeks. "There has to be an end to this disgrace where (Americans) treat us like rats and idiots."
-WC 2002 US 2 - 0 Mexico

Facebook
Old 16-01-2002, 10:59 PM

hellsbells wants to be adoredhellsbells wants to be adoredhellsbells wants to be adoredhellsbells wants to be adoredhellsbells wants to be adoredhellsbells wants to be adoredhellsbells wants to be adoredhellsbells wants to be adoredhellsbells wants to be adoredhellsbells wants to be adoredhellsbells wants to be adored
I am now reading Robbie Williams Nobody Someday because i needed a bit of celebrity trash after reading White Teeth (Zadie Smith) and Lord of the Flies for the 85th time. That book is far too deep for my brain to take
Old 17-01-2002, 01:41 AM

dickie  - why do you have to be so good?dickie  - why do you have to be so good?dickie  - why do you have to be so good?dickie  - why do you have to be so good?dickie  - why do you have to be so good?dickie  - why do you have to be so good?dickie  - why do you have to be so good?dickie  - why do you have to be so good?dickie  - why do you have to be so good?dickie  - why do you have to be so good?dickie  - why do you have to be so good?
For the oldies out there, I seem to remember reading a book that is worth reading soley for a serious send up of a new young wet behind the ears apprentice called Gordon Hill, when he was at his first ever preseason training camp in Brighton!!! The writer, Eamon Dunphy, the team Millwall.

A newer read which was very memorable was Brian Keenans book An Evil Cradling, a must for everyone.

I have chucked No Logo and have been given a nice little lightweight tome; The Skeptical Enviromentalist (Measuring the real state of the world), Bjorn Lomborg. I am assured it is a nice amusing and pleasurable read, but I think shes lieing.
Old 24-01-2002, 10:56 PM
pura vida

Sunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Have just finished Roddy Doyle's Barrytown trilogy (Commitments, Snapper, The van) and find myself a big fan. Haven't read any of his stuff before, and will now go for Paddy Clarke and The woman...

What's good about his writing?
Reminds me a great deal of Raymond Carver but with a hell of a lot of humour. minimal description but lets you understand so much of characters through simple dialogue and small details. One of the best dialogue writers I've seen for sure.

Also recently finished English Passengers by Matthew someone-or-other (Booker nominee 2000). Another good read that was very bold in its multpile use of voice and point-of-view (20+ narrative perspectives) and dealt with colonial attitudes towards aborigines. The story details Tasmania - life there for settlers, convicts and aborigines told from all sides - and a bizarre journey there by a crew of smugglers and a collection of 3 passengers which includes a mad vicar - convinced the Garden of Eden is in Tasmania - and a natural born racist / anthropologist.

Another funny, sad and fascinating read.
Old 24-01-2002, 11:13 PM
Self Portrait

g23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhino
Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha (try and say that out loud without smiling) is his best IMO. I'm not a massive fan, but it is enjoyable to read an author who pays such close attention to his own stylistic integrity. He's very coherent in that way, which seems to be rare and getting rarer at the moment.
Old 24-01-2002, 11:18 PM
A rare visitor

Al From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is here
I didnt know he was one of The Stylistics Gav?