Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Off Topic Ľ General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 10-11-2001, 03:55 AM
An Alpha Deplorable.

Mat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally posted by Stellavista

You sure..?

Current reading:

'Witnesses of the Russian Revolution' - Harvey Pitcher

'A Fistful of Gitanes: Serge Gainsbourg' - Sylvie Simmons

'The Rotters Club' - Jonathan Coe

'War Fever' - J.G. Ballard
Are you sure Stella cos I know you are the proud Dad of a little baby girl and she is either an absolute Angel, who sleeps for 15 hours a day thus giving you the time to read that lot or, despite your image as a 'new' man,you do bugger all to help the Missus out

My current reading list composes of the various adventures of Spot the Dog, A visi to the Zoo ( written in Croatian so I cannot even understand what I am reading )and various other publications all made from the finest chew proof cardboard.
Old 10-11-2001, 03:57 AM
An Alpha Deplorable.

Mat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally posted by lightweight
don't you get confused reading 4 books at a time?
I must admit that when I used to read Adult books I would have a least this many on the go as well. There was one for the loo/bath, one for the bedside table, one for the car and usually another on the go as well.

I always found Spike Milligans Wartime memoirs to make the most excellent Loo reading material.
Old 10-11-2001, 04:02 AM
Travel gnu called Kylie!

lightweight put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recalllightweight put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recalllightweight put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recalllightweight put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recalllightweight put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recalllightweight put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recalllightweight put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recalllightweight put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recalllightweight put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recalllightweight put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recalllightweight put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recall
Quote:
Originally posted by Mat ov CPFC
various other publications all made from the finest chew proof cardboard.
you sound quite disappointed by that Mat!!!!!! Do you normally enjoy eating what you read?!?
Old 10-11-2001, 04:12 AM
Captain Fun.

Benzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is here
"Foley is Good" by WWF Wrestler Mick Foley, AKA Cactus Jack/ Mankind.

Even if you hate wrestling he's still a very good writer.

http://youtu.be/Jviw33M56UI
Old 10-11-2001, 04:15 AM
Sans Peur

RDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is here
Quote:
Adult books
Adult books eh!?!
Old 10-11-2001, 04:50 AM
Popping in

Pokerface : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePokerface : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePokerface : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePokerface : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePokerface : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePokerface : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePokerface : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePokerface : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePokerface : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePokerface : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePokerface : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally posted by britabroad
Must reads . . .

Sarum
London
Both by Edward Rutherford. B****Y long books, but both excellent.
Must reads:

Enduring Love by Ian McEwan;
Filth by Irvine Welsh.

Must not reads:

The Information by Martin Amis;
Time's Arrow by Martin Amis.

Martin Amis is the most pretentious writer I've ever read!! He came highly recommended but didn't live up to the hype.
Old 10-11-2001, 04:57 AM
Travel gnu called Kylie!

lightweight put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recalllightweight put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recalllightweight put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recalllightweight put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recalllightweight put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recalllightweight put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recalllightweight put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recalllightweight put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recalllightweight put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recalllightweight put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recalllightweight put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recall
Quote:
Originally posted by Pokerface

Enduring Love by Ian McEwan;
yeah - I borrowed that off someone at work. Was interesting!
Old 10-11-2001, 05:03 AM
Popping in

Pokerface : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePokerface : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePokerface : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePokerface : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePokerface : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePokerface : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePokerface : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePokerface : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePokerface : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePokerface : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePokerface : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally posted by lightweight

yeah - I borrowed that off someone at work. Was interesting!
Try Filth too. It has the ultimate twist in the tale.
Old 10-11-2001, 05:05 AM
Fishy McFishface

A Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is here
Ken Keysey - One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest
one of those books that I finally got around to reading. Never saw the film either which is a bonus.

Recently read The Brenford 'Trilogy' by Robert Rankin... afterwards at a family funeral it turns out my brother (without me knowing) is mates with the bloke (Rankin). Not that that is a plus point in itself hehe.
Old 10-11-2001, 05:08 AM
The Bringer of Joy

Stellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by Mat ov CPFC

I must admit that when I used to read Adult books I would have a least this many on the go as well. There was one for the loo/bath, one for the bedside table, one for the car and usually another on the go as well.

I always found Spike Milligans Wartime memoirs to make the most excellent Loo reading material.
Nail-head-hit, Mat.
I average between three & five books on the go, which is why my home looks like a f*cking library, which is not aided by the fact that I collect twentieth Century American first editions - an expensive hobby, but also a good investment, if you know what you're looking for, and just concentrate on a few authors. William Saroyan & Thomas Wolfe are my boys.
Been like that since I was about ten, previous to which, my reading was very poor, but improved dramatically with remedial classes, and I've never ceased to be in awe of the written word since.
This, coupled with the number of books you have to read for a degree in literature, got me into the habit.

In answer to your previous question, no she's not an angel, but she has slept, from about two and half months, from 7.30pm to 5.30am, giving me plenty of time in the evening to prepare Heidi's dinner, do the vacuuming, washing, and cleaning, and mess around on the BBS and read/watch some sh*t TV.
Is that what they call 'quality time'?

I also work from home a fair bit, which helps.

In answer to the post about Martin Amis, absolutely right, but someone suggested the wrong books. His most recent stuff is, indeed, drivel, but, for nothing too taxing, his early books, like 'Money', 'The Rachel Papers', & 'Dead Babies', are alright.
Old 10-11-2001, 05:14 AM
Digitally Remastered

What? : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineWhat? : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineWhat? : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineWhat? : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineWhat? : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineWhat? : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineWhat? : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineWhat? : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineWhat? : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineWhat? : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineWhat? : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I have to Say Foley Is Good, Is Good, very goodin fact, it unlike many books actually has the ability to make me laugh out loud!
Old 10-11-2001, 05:15 AM

Dreamer will leave the TV and the radio behindDreamer will leave the TV and the radio behindDreamer will leave the TV and the radio behindDreamer will leave the TV and the radio behindDreamer will leave the TV and the radio behindDreamer will leave the TV and the radio behindDreamer will leave the TV and the radio behindDreamer will leave the TV and the radio behindDreamer will leave the TV and the radio behindDreamer will leave the TV and the radio behindDreamer will leave the TV and the radio behind
The Dinosaur Hunters - Deborah Cadbury
Very interesting, factual tale.

A marvellous read... fresh insights and an artfully woven story make it hard to, put down.

'Man and Boy' now that was complete and utter crap.
Old 10-11-2001, 05:18 AM
The Bringer of Joy

Stellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamer

B*llocks to FR Leavis, this is my kind of literary criticism!
Old 10-11-2001, 05:22 AM
Popping in

Quote:
Originally posted by A Wooden Fish On WHeels
Ken Keysey - One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest
one of those books that I finally got around to reading. Never saw the film either which is a bonus.
Yep, classy book. Haven't seen the film myself but I reckon Jack Nicholson was the ideal casting choice for McMurphy.
Old 10-11-2001, 05:29 AM
Wondering why it matters!

Martin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is here
The Red room - Nicci French
Elizabeth - David Starkey (Young Queen Elizabeth (I))
The Age of Heretics: Heroes, Outlaws, and the Forerunners of Corporate Change" by Art Kleiner

on the go

Recently finished :
The Blue Nowhere by Jeffery Deaver
Tell no one by Harlan Coben
Fatal Voyage by Kathy Reichs
and a book of short stories I picked up for a plane trip.

Like to say the first 3 on the list represent my balanced reading but the last set are nearer the mark. Like a good yarn.
Old 10-11-2001, 05:46 AM

Dreamer will leave the TV and the radio behindDreamer will leave the TV and the radio behindDreamer will leave the TV and the radio behindDreamer will leave the TV and the radio behindDreamer will leave the TV and the radio behindDreamer will leave the TV and the radio behindDreamer will leave the TV and the radio behindDreamer will leave the TV and the radio behindDreamer will leave the TV and the radio behindDreamer will leave the TV and the radio behindDreamer will leave the TV and the radio behind
Quote:

B*llocks to FR Leavis, this is my kind of literary criticism!
Glad to be of service.

If you ask me nicely I'll tell you what I think of the latest John Grisham pile of ****

Haven't actually read it but could take a fairly good guess.
Old 10-11-2001, 06:14 AM
Captain Fun.

Benzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by What?
I have to Say Foley Is Good, Is Good, very goodin fact, it unlike many books actually has the ability to make me laugh out loud!
TOP MAN!!!!!

http://youtu.be/Jviw33M56UI
Old 10-11-2001, 06:23 AM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Re: What are you reading at the moment?

Quote:
Originally posted by the_next_matt_jansen
Ive nearly finished The Miracle of Castel di Sangro by Joe McGinniss. Its very good and i already have a soft spot for Castel.
I also read this on the strength of recommendations expressed here on the BBS. I really enjoyed it, but did find the end almost too stereotypical of Italians to be true, even if it was true if you know what I mean.
Didnít that Italian goalkeeper at Chelsea come from Castel di Sangro?
I also had to wonder how small the club really was. Remember the author was American, and could well have been comparing them to US Baseball/Football teams. I think you could compare them to Wimbledon or Oxford for example. Maybe I need to re-read it, it been a while.
Old 10-11-2001, 10:34 AM
Ex-Block G

tauranga rob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetauranga rob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetauranga rob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetauranga rob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetauranga rob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetauranga rob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetauranga rob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetauranga rob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetauranga rob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetauranga rob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetauranga rob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:

You sure..?

Current reading:

'Witnesses of the Russian Revolution' - Harvey Pitcher

'A Fistful of Gitanes: Serge Gainsbourg' - Sylvie Simmons

'The Rotters Club' - Jonathan Coe

'War Fever' - J.G. Ballard
I'm reading The Drowned World - my first JG Ballard novel. Not too sure about it so far. Since I've been in New Zealand (16 months now - I really miss drinking in The Selhurst Arms after evening games!) I've read a few Maurice Gee books (he's regarded as one of the best NZ writers), and I've really enjoyed them.
Old 10-11-2001, 12:21 PM
he's no David Bailey...

selhurst : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineselhurst : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineselhurst : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineselhurst : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineselhurst : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineselhurst : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineselhurst : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineselhurst : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineselhurst : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineselhurst : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineselhurst : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamer
Yes, maybe. The fact that I enjoyed it just goes to prove that I'm nothing more than an old romantic...