Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Off Topic Ľ General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 19-11-2001, 10:46 PM
Registered Useless

charltonhater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcharltonhater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcharltonhater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcharltonhater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcharltonhater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcharltonhater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcharltonhater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcharltonhater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcharltonhater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcharltonhater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcharltonhater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally posted by markholmes1991
Iím currently reading Ian Wrights autobiography (again) at the moment. Sitting there watching a rather drab Everton/Chelsea game I found myself reaching for the book.
Even though, I've read it on numerous occasions, I still find myself coming back to it time and time again.
Has anyone read Geoff Hursts autobiography yet?? If so what are there opinions .
I read Ian Wright's autobiography when I was on a school trip to France, it's surprisingly good.

I have now given up trying to read the bible and have decided to read Jackie Chan's autbiography again.
Old 20-11-2001, 01:34 AM

as216 as216 as216 as216 as216 as216 as216 as216 as216 as216 as216
Quote:
Originally posted by East-End Eagle
Currently reading The Sicillian - Mario Puzo (Godfather spin off)
I've just started reading this as well - it's set during the time of Michael Corleone's exile in Sicily.

Two excellent books I've just finished are:
The Dirt - the Motley Crue autobiography which shows (in very fine detail) just how sordid and debauched the rock 'n' roll lifestyle can be.
and
Crossfire - The Plot That Killed Kennedy by Jim Marrs which was the book Oliver Stone based JFK on. As Bill Hicks said, Oswald cannot possibly have done it as officially stated - not unless he was hanging by his toes from the window ledge.
Old 21-11-2001, 04:24 AM
Slightly Unstable

Location: A spherical nickel-iron alloy in the middle of a nothingness of unknown quantity
Santos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is here
Spot Goes To The Park

never did get teh hang of this reading thing
Old 30-11-2001, 04:19 PM
pura vida

Sunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Just finished reading "How to play poker and win"

Very enlightening
Old 30-11-2001, 04:21 PM
dabbling

Jim Cannons Moustache came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJim Cannons Moustache came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJim Cannons Moustache came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJim Cannons Moustache came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJim Cannons Moustache came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJim Cannons Moustache came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJim Cannons Moustache came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJim Cannons Moustache came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJim Cannons Moustache came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJim Cannons Moustache came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJim Cannons Moustache came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally posted by Sunny Fan

Very enlightening
not as enlightening as the follow up "How to play poker and lose your house and family."
Old 30-11-2001, 05:09 PM

Gazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
The Fifth Woman by Henning Mankell = Swedish detective novel translated into English
Old 30-11-2001, 05:55 PM
Very Tired Person

Neil, yes, another one! is walloping Brighton 5-0Neil, yes, another one! is walloping Brighton 5-0Neil, yes, another one! is walloping Brighton 5-0Neil, yes, another one! is walloping Brighton 5-0Neil, yes, another one! is walloping Brighton 5-0Neil, yes, another one! is walloping Brighton 5-0Neil, yes, another one! is walloping Brighton 5-0Neil, yes, another one! is walloping Brighton 5-0Neil, yes, another one! is walloping Brighton 5-0Neil, yes, another one! is walloping Brighton 5-0Neil, yes, another one! is walloping Brighton 5-0
Quote:
Originally posted by Pokerface

Must not reads:

The Information by Martin Amis;
Time's Arrow by Martin Amis.

Martin Amis is the most pretentious writer I've ever read!! He came highly recommended but didn't live up to the hype.
SO SO SO true - London Fields has to be the worse book ever. If there was some subtle, ironic, clever point he was trying to make, he failed!

This week i'm mostly reading 'Thank Yer Very Glad' (O/P biog of The Wedding Present - cheers ebay!
Old 30-11-2001, 06:15 PM
Streams, Speedos & beer.

Maidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is here
Stalingrad - Anthony Beevoir. Terrifying and depressing. But bloody interesting

Next three books;

"Dear Boy" Keith Moon biog.
"Times thief"(I think thats what it's called)- Terry Pratchett
"Sex 'n Drugs and Rock and Roll"- Ian Dury Biog.
Old 30-11-2001, 06:30 PM
Not there

Jimmy The Lips is playing for a contract
White teeth is really boring.

I read 'McCarthy's Bar' by Pete McCarthy recently, and made a complete tit of myself with my constsnt sniggering and laughing out loud. It is undoubtedly the funniest book I've ever read.

The most shocking book I ever read was called 'Confessions of Idi Amin'. Don't know the author.

PS Never, ever admit to liking John Grisham.
Old 30-11-2001, 06:44 PM
Self Portrait

g23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhino
Quote:
Originally posted by Sunny Fan

Very enlightening
Just started reading "How to play poker and win"

Very confusing
Old 30-11-2001, 06:48 PM
Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiice Girl

sexyrazor : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesexyrazor : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesexyrazor : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesexyrazor : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesexyrazor : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesexyrazor : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesexyrazor : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesexyrazor : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesexyrazor : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesexyrazor : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesexyrazor : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Just got Hell Razor (Razor's autobiography) back from my friends and have decided because it was sooooo fantastic I am going to read it again!!!

Well let the sun shine on your face
And donít let your life go to waste
Now is the time, got to make up your mind
Let it shine on you, let it shine on you
Old 30-11-2001, 06:48 PM
Self Portrait

g23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhino
Quote:
Originally posted by Jimmy The Lips
White teeth is really boring.
Although Matov might be interested to know that the recently-released audio version is read by my ex's sister - who does in fact have a mighty set of horsey white teeth.

I read Anil's Ghost by Michael Ondaatje on the train journey to and from Preston. Very atmospheric, some wonderful economy of expression, but I didn't find it the revelation promised by so many of the reviews. Now starting on When We Were Orphans by Kazuo Ishiguro, which almost seems like a made-for-Merchant-Ivory so far. First 100 pages not a patch on A Pale View Of Hills.
Old 30-11-2001, 07:03 PM
Tired and Emotional

Smurph knocked on the bar and pointed to a bottle on the shelfSmurph knocked on the bar and pointed to a bottle on the shelfSmurph knocked on the bar and pointed to a bottle on the shelfSmurph knocked on the bar and pointed to a bottle on the shelfSmurph knocked on the bar and pointed to a bottle on the shelfSmurph knocked on the bar and pointed to a bottle on the shelfSmurph knocked on the bar and pointed to a bottle on the shelfSmurph knocked on the bar and pointed to a bottle on the shelfSmurph knocked on the bar and pointed to a bottle on the shelfSmurph knocked on the bar and pointed to a bottle on the shelfSmurph knocked on the bar and pointed to a bottle on the shelf
Quote:
Originally posted by g23
Now starting on When We Were Orphans by Kazuo Ishiguro, which almost seems like a made-for-Merchant-Ivory so far. First 100 pages not a patch on A Pale View Of Hills.
I think you will find that the book will become increasingly less Merchant-Ivory the further you read, and somewhat dark and dense. I remember feeling slightly disorientated when I finished it, as though I had emerged from a dark tunnel with no idea of where I was. My initial reaction was one of disappointment, but thinking about it now I am intrigued and feel the need to re-read it.

I am currently re-reading 500 Mile Walkies by Mark Wallington because it makes me smile.
Old 30-11-2001, 07:24 PM

Goldfish is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsGoldfish is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsGoldfish is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsGoldfish is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsGoldfish is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsGoldfish is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsGoldfish is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsGoldfish is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsGoldfish is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsGoldfish is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsGoldfish is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadows
Currently reading Frank Skinner by Frank Skinner. very funny, although his account of his first shag nearly made me vomit.
Old 30-11-2001, 07:30 PM
Self Portrait

Quote:
Originally posted by Smurph
I think you will find that the book will become increasingly less Merchant-Ivory the further you read, and somewhat dark and dense. I remember feeling slightly disorientated when I finished it, as though I had emerged from a dark tunnel with no idea of where I was. My initial reaction was one of disappointment, but thinking about it now I am intrigued and feel the need to re-read it.
That sounds much more like it. I shall persevere.
Old 30-11-2001, 07:47 PM
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
"The Code of the Woosters". Again. No other Wodehouse fans on this BBS?
Old 30-11-2001, 07:51 PM
pura vida

Sunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Dance, dance, dance
Haruki Murakami

Great surreal and seriously daft, intelligent fun.
Old 30-11-2001, 07:55 PM
Guns of Navarone

GUCCI Eagle knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!GUCCI Eagle knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!GUCCI Eagle knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!GUCCI Eagle knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!GUCCI Eagle knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!GUCCI Eagle knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!GUCCI Eagle knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!GUCCI Eagle knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!GUCCI Eagle knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!GUCCI Eagle knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!GUCCI Eagle knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!
Law for Business Students and How to Create Killer Websites.
"The West Stand has a reputation as a party area and we've got to break that. We've put together a series of measures to ensure that those people who want to watch cricket are not disrupted by those who are simply there to have a good time"The Times, back page, Wed 5 Aug 2009
Old 30-11-2001, 07:59 PM
The Walking Carpet

wookiee : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewookiee : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewookiee : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewookiee : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewookiee : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewookiee : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewookiee : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewookiee : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewookiee : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewookiee : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewookiee : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I've ploughed through a few recently.

They include 'A Sport And A Pastime' by James Salter. Described as literary erotic realism, don't you know. Skillfully evokes the kind of relationship that only truly makes sense in terms of physical attraction.

'Noah, Noah' by Paul Wilson. Described on the jacket as something like 'the sort of book John Irving would write if he lived in Lancashire' and that seems fair enough to me. It shares a certain something with 'The Hotel New Hampshire' - and it's more than the bear.

'Morvern Callar' by Alan Warner. Echoes of Camus' 'L'Etranger', but funny. A strong, silent young girl from the Scottish Highlands returns home to find her boyfriend's killed himself. What she does next isn't exactly what your or I would do.

And now I'm getting near the end of 'Someone To Watch Over Me' which is Paul Wilson's new book, only in hardback at the moment. I'm not at the end yet, so hard to say for sure, but it's the best book of his that I've read and if it delivers over the last 50 pages will certainly qualify as first-rate. It's taking on a variety of themes (religion, faith and loss primarily) as an insurance fraud investigator tries to prove a remarkable event isn't a miracle. A small Lancashire town suffers a massacre at the local school after which manuscripts in hebrew fall from the sky. The locals believe they're messages from God. I'll let you know if it's as good as it's promising to be.
Old 30-11-2001, 08:09 PM
Self Portrait

Quote:
Originally posted by wookiee
'Noah, Noah' by Paul Wilson. Described on the jacket as something like 'the sort of book John Irving would write if he lived in Lancashire'
A sort of 'World According to Bez' then?