Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Other Sport » World of Football

Notices

World of Football All non Palace football talk - includes latest scores on Internationals and matches that affect palace.

Old 07-04-2018, 04:13 PM
#Hadron Collider

in-exile Sam the man is herein-exile Sam the man is herein-exile Sam the man is herein-exile Sam the man is herein-exile Sam the man is herein-exile Sam the man is herein-exile Sam the man is herein-exile Sam the man is herein-exile Sam the man is herein-exile Sam the man is herein-exile Sam the man is here
Too many Scottish football teams and their top division is shit!

Watching Sky TV waiting for the league tables.... But you have to wait for all the crappy little jock results!
This is just a throwback to the days when people needed them for playing the pools betting,
Tiny teams with no gates why the hell does it matter with all their divisions?
Plus the English championship should be second on the BBC website rather than the Scottish premiership as it's a better division with more fans watching only twats at the BBC would put it second!
Welling and Bromley are probably bigger than most of the Scottish teams!
Old 07-04-2018, 04:42 PM
Edenbridge in Exile

Ninjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is here
Remember as a kid back in the Eighties everyone had a Scottish team. Can't remember the last time I even looked at the Scotch tables as have zero interest, especially the big two bigot teams.

Also agree with the BBC thing as I check for upcoming fixtures when I'm thinking of going to a non-league game such as Tonbridge or Dulwich H but aren't listed in favour of some village team playing in the Scotch Div3 who attract one man, his dog & their flock of sheep.
Old 07-04-2018, 05:03 PM

Nicebitofgreen : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNicebitofgreen : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNicebitofgreen : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNicebitofgreen : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNicebitofgreen : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNicebitofgreen : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNicebitofgreen : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNicebitofgreen : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNicebitofgreen : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNicebitofgreen : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNicebitofgreen : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
You lads sound a lot like those clueless armchair fans rather than people whose fave football team only wins 5 games a season.
Old 07-04-2018, 05:04 PM
Get the f* off my Cloud!!

Scifo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScifo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScifo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScifo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScifo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScifo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScifo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScifo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScifo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScifo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScifo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
It had a place before you had access to Serie A, La Liga & the Bundesliga. Nowadays if you want something different you can often get something better
Old 07-04-2018, 08:06 PM
Collecting Palace tat

Dorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is here
For a while about 20 years ago I used to go to one or two Scottish games over a weekend if it was a free weekend. Went to Rangers, Celtic, Aberdeen, Hibs, Raith, Inverness, Dundee, Kilmarnock, Mottherwell and a few others.

It was often bloody cold, the attendances were pretty bad. But I chose who to see based on if I had been to their ground before or not. To be honest I loved it if I could do an SPL game one day, then a St Mirren or Raith Rovers the next.

I loved getting the fanzines and chatting to a few random fans.

One game I went to was Falkirk at home to Berwick Rangers in the cup. The Berwick fans all had accents as Scottish as can be, but were on a deliberate wind-up and had English St George flags hanging all over their away end, to wind up the opposition fans. The Falkirk fans really got into the spirit with tons of anti-English abuse!! It was quite funny!

I love that up there, there is ten times more abuse of the referee and linesmen!

Rangers and Celtic were actually quite plastic soulless experiences, their games were boring walkovers, and most of the time, ebven they were playing other SPL teams, they just spent the whole time singing about their old firm rival, and abusing the referee, calling him a 'fenian bastard' or 'orange bastard' depending on their allegiance. Sadly the SPL relies on those 2 teams for income as without them the league would be even less lucrative in terms of tv revenue. Yet in so many ways, I think the rest of the league would be better off without them, there were too many horrible bigoted people there.

I don't think things have changed much all these years later, except that budget airlines came into being, and I spent my spare weekends going to games abroad instead and seeing the rest of Europe and the main big European grounds and teams

In response to the OP, yes the football pools are largely the reason why we listen to the Scottish lower league results, and yes, maybe the National League is more relevant and gets bigger crowds, but I don't mind them reading out how Stenhousemuir or Cowdenbeath got on for a minute or so, because after being quiet through the toiop two divisions results it gives me and the Mrs the time to discuss the scores and who might be where in the tables!

No harm in going to a Scottish game or two, particularly the lesser clubs, and widening your football horizons! Wouldn't complain if Palace ever took in a few games up there one pre-season!
"Crystal Palace is cult viewing, like a late night TV show that only a few people know about, like a precious record that was never number one but makes everybody who knows it want to dance and sing… and sometimes cry." Tony, 3-7-2001

"Well, as I said before, we are only 6 points behind 4th from bottom with the prize of an additional £65 million (minimum) if we stay up. So, we'd be bonkers if that wasn't the top priority. Nobody's giving up on staying in this league." CPFC2010, 5-11-2013
Old 07-04-2018, 08:14 PM
People are People

firesign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is here
heard on the radio the other day

west brom will get £96m for finishing bottom of the premier league - Celtic will have to win the SPL for 30 years in a row to get a similar amount

so, there really is no comparison
Old 07-04-2018, 08:21 PM
#Hadron Collider

in-exile Sam the man is herein-exile Sam the man is herein-exile Sam the man is herein-exile Sam the man is herein-exile Sam the man is herein-exile Sam the man is herein-exile Sam the man is herein-exile Sam the man is herein-exile Sam the man is herein-exile Sam the man is herein-exile Sam the man is here
Bromley average attendance is three times that of Peterhead so why don't the BBC realise the Scottish divisions are massively over represented on their website!!!!
Old 07-04-2018, 08:43 PM
Collecting Palace tat

Dorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by firesign View Post
heard on the radio the other day

west brom will get £96m for finishing bottom of the premier league - Celtic will have to win the SPL for 30 years in a row to get a similar amount

so, there really is no comparison
Celtic already have a massive disparity over almost everyone else in their League due to getting crowds of 60,000 every home game,and having vastly bigger corporate revenues. So don't feel too sorry for them.
"Crystal Palace is cult viewing, like a late night TV show that only a few people know about, like a precious record that was never number one but makes everybody who knows it want to dance and sing… and sometimes cry." Tony, 3-7-2001

"Well, as I said before, we are only 6 points behind 4th from bottom with the prize of an additional £65 million (minimum) if we stay up. So, we'd be bonkers if that wasn't the top priority. Nobody's giving up on staying in this league." CPFC2010, 5-11-2013
Old 07-04-2018, 09:03 PM

lee_cpfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlee_cpfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlee_cpfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlee_cpfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlee_cpfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlee_cpfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlee_cpfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlee_cpfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlee_cpfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlee_cpfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlee_cpfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
v

Last edited by lee_cpfc; 10-04-2018 at 12:43 PM.
Old 07-04-2018, 09:39 PM
Nuclear Member

Selhurst300 Sam the man is hereSelhurst300 Sam the man is hereSelhurst300 Sam the man is hereSelhurst300 Sam the man is hereSelhurst300 Sam the man is hereSelhurst300 Sam the man is hereSelhurst300 Sam the man is hereSelhurst300 Sam the man is hereSelhurst300 Sam the man is hereSelhurst300 Sam the man is hereSelhurst300 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjas Headband View Post
Remember as a kid back in the Eighties everyone had a Scottish team. Can't remember the last time I even looked at the Scotch tables as have zero interest, especially the big two bigot teams.
Come on Morton.
Old 08-04-2018, 12:27 AM

cappuccinoeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcappuccinoeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcappuccinoeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcappuccinoeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcappuccinoeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcappuccinoeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcappuccinoeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcappuccinoeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcappuccinoeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcappuccinoeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcappuccinoeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Partick are my team, looks like they're gonna get relegated. Reckon Palace would easily beat em.
Old 08-04-2018, 05:56 AM
Werkself

Latvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is here
Scottish league could do with basically amalgamating teams so their are less but stronger teams. Won't happen obviously but would probably help.
Old 08-04-2018, 06:40 AM

Socrates came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSocrates came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSocrates came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSocrates came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSocrates came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSocrates came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSocrates came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSocrates came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSocrates came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSocrates came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSocrates came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by cappuccinoeagle View Post
Partick are my team, looks like they're gonna get relegated. Reckon Palace would easily beat em.
Wow! Another follower of the "Maryhill Magyars"! My old man came from Maryhill so I always keep an eye on how they're doing. I think of them as being a bit like Palace - spent most of their recent existence outside the top division, overshadowed by more glamorous clubs in their city. One of these days I must get my act together and go to Firhill for a game and to raise a glass to the auld fella.

Last edited by Socrates; 08-04-2018 at 07:31 AM.
Old 08-04-2018, 10:34 AM
#Hadron Collider

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappuccinoeagle View Post
Cray Wanderers could beat them!
Old 08-04-2018, 10:35 AM
#Hadron Collider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latvian Eagle View Post
Scottish league could do with basically amalgamating teams so their are less but stronger teams. Won't happen obviously but would probably help.
Into maybe four teams in total...it could work.
Old 08-04-2018, 10:48 AM

palace910 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalace910 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalace910 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalace910 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalace910 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalace910 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalace910 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalace910 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalace910 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalace910 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalace910 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Money doesn’t always amount to quality in the PL, most players are overpaid mercenaries!
Old 08-04-2018, 11:16 AM

cappuccinoeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcappuccinoeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcappuccinoeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcappuccinoeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcappuccinoeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcappuccinoeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcappuccinoeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcappuccinoeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcappuccinoeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcappuccinoeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcappuccinoeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socrates View Post
Wow! Another follower of the "Maryhill Magyars"! My old man came from Maryhill so I always keep an eye on how they're doing. I think of them as being a bit like Palace - spent most of their recent existence outside the top division, overshadowed by more glamorous clubs in their city. One of these days I must get my act together and go to Firhill for a game and to raise a glass to the auld fella.
Been to a couple of games awhile back, while holidaying in Edinburgh. Had a pint of Tennants in an old fashioned boozer.
Old 08-04-2018, 11:25 AM
Werkself

Latvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by in-exile View Post
Into maybe four teams in total...it could work.
Can't imagine the likes of say Dundee, Dundee Utd and St. Johnstone merging to form one Tayside team.
Old 08-04-2018, 11:39 AM

ExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is here
I speak to an Alloa fan, goes home and away, his passion for his club is as strong as any fan has for their club
Easy to look down on him and laugh behind his back for supporting a shit irrelevance. Nice, as a Palace fan, to be able to take the same stance of patronising and arrogant Chelsea or Man U fans when they look down on us.

Having said that Scottish football leaves me cold (not a weather reference).
Old 08-04-2018, 12:03 PM
Edenbridge in Exile

Ninjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is here
Don't look down on Scottish football but why does it have a higher profile than the English non-league in England?

Like others have said it's just a hangover from the days when many played the Pools.