Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Other Sport » World of Sport

Notices

World of Sport Discuss all other sport. Includes betting and gambling threads.

View Poll Results: Who do you want to win in the UFC tonight?
Tito 'The Huntington Beach Badboy' Ortiz 3 60.00%
Ken ' The Worlds Most Dangerous Man' Shamrock 2 40.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-09-2006, 03:46 PM

Daddy Long : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDaddy Long : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDaddy Long : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDaddy Long : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDaddy Long : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDaddy Long : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDaddy Long : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDaddy Long : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDaddy Long : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDaddy Long : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDaddy Long : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Anyone going to Cage Rage at the end of September?
Old 07-09-2006, 06:26 PM
Panty Organizer

Funk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by Daddy Long
Anyone going to Cage Rage at the end of September?
Nope, but supposedly I have VIP tickets for the PRIDE show in Las Vegas. My buddy at Dream Stage said she got me the tickets, but I'm not counting my chickens before they hatch.
Old 10-09-2006, 02:11 PM
johnkettleyisaweatherman

eddieskyclad Sam the man is hereeddieskyclad Sam the man is hereeddieskyclad Sam the man is hereeddieskyclad Sam the man is hereeddieskyclad Sam the man is hereeddieskyclad Sam the man is hereeddieskyclad Sam the man is hereeddieskyclad Sam the man is hereeddieskyclad Sam the man is hereeddieskyclad Sam the man is hereeddieskyclad Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by BringBackSasa
I can't see Barnett returning to the UFC, not while the money & HW competition is still with Pride.
UFC are offering a percentage of the PPV revenue to their top fighters now so the big names are earning a very pretty penny. Shamrock and Ortiz for example on top of their $250,000 basic are believed to have both recieved around $2,000,000 as their cut of PPV. However without having any ideas on what Pride guys are getting paid I bet it's nowhere near that level (although I guess it's fair to say that Barnett wouldn't get anywhere close to that figure for a percentage as he wouldn't have the name to sell 775,000 buys like Shamrock vs Ortiz did).

Lets not also forget the problems Pride are having right now and how if things don't improve they will have to signifcantly cut back on expenditure even further than they have done already.

Anyways - the results from Pride are in...

EDIT: even though I've changed the colour to make the mre difficult to see you can still see them so please avoid if you don't want it to be spoilt.

CroCop beat Silva via KO in Round 1
Barnet beat Nog on a split decision
CroCop beat Barnett via tap out (strikes) in Round 1

Nearly 7 million views!!!

WOW!

Last edited by eddieskyclad; 10-09-2006 at 02:17 PM.
Old 10-09-2006, 03:51 PM

Halftime Gold came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalftime Gold came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalftime Gold came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalftime Gold came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalftime Gold came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalftime Gold came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalftime Gold came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalftime Gold came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalftime Gold came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalftime Gold came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalftime Gold came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally posted by eddieskyclad
[B]UFC are offering a percentage of the PPV revenue to their top fighters now so the big names are earning a very pretty penny. Shamrock and Ortiz for example on top of their $250,000 basic are believed to have both recieved around $2,000,000 as their cut of PPV. However without having any ideas on what Pride guys are getting paid I bet it's nowhere near that level (although I guess it's fair to say that Barnett wouldn't get anywhere close to that figure for a percentage as he wouldn't have the name to sell 775,000 buys like Shamrock vs Ortiz did).

Lets not also forget the problems Pride are having right now and how if things don't improve they will have to signifcantly cut back on expenditure even further than they have done already.
Yoshida/Ogawa from last years NYE show was pretty similar to that I believe in terms of payoff. As you say though the problem is Barnett isnt a big name for US audiences and the UFC pay scale goes down drastically for everyone else.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:02 PM
Life,the name of the game

Barcaeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBarcaeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBarcaeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBarcaeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBarcaeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBarcaeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBarcaeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBarcaeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBarcaeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBarcaeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBarcaeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
TEAM SHOOT

Hi all ... just a bit of info . I´ve just started training in SHOOT defence here in Spain, based upon Vale Tudo.

Gr8 people and some absolute beasts here , they compete alot overseas, and in UKand recently in Japan.

Have you seen anyone from SHOOT in any recent UFC or PRIDE bouts ?? Are they any good ??
Old 10-09-2006, 04:09 PM
Life,the name of the game

Barcaeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBarcaeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBarcaeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBarcaeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBarcaeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBarcaeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBarcaeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBarcaeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBarcaeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBarcaeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBarcaeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Julián González Cañada
S.h.o.o.t. Spain
Spain
Is one guy ... un beaten I thinlk
Old 11-09-2006, 06:43 AM
Panty Organizer

Funk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is here
I've never seen any Spanish guys fight, I don't think. From what I understand, there is a pretty extensive European fight scene, but it seems they rarely go into the American or Japanese scense.

As far as paying fighters, there's no comparison, Pride way outdoes UFC. To view the link you have to Register or Login I know that Fedor and Yoshida make near $1M per fight. Noguiera, Crocop and Silva go around a half mil. I talked to someone at Dream Stage who seemed to think that even a fighter like Josh Thompson was making around $50k for his fight vs Fujita. That seems a little extreme, but maybe not.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:06 AM
johnkettleyisaweatherman

eddieskyclad Sam the man is hereeddieskyclad Sam the man is hereeddieskyclad Sam the man is hereeddieskyclad Sam the man is hereeddieskyclad Sam the man is hereeddieskyclad Sam the man is hereeddieskyclad Sam the man is hereeddieskyclad Sam the man is hereeddieskyclad Sam the man is hereeddieskyclad Sam the man is hereeddieskyclad Sam the man is here
Interestingly enough there was an article by Dave Meltzer in the Wrestling Observer Newsletter this week that I hadn't read when I posted my bit about pay.

Yes Yoshida/Ogawa got massive pay for their NYE event but that was all money fronted by the television network and for regular events the top guys in Japan don't get near those figures and in reality the top guys in Japan don't come close to the guys who fight in the top 2 fights on a UFC PPV do. Of course that's all because of the PPV revenue clauses that the fighters have (which barely gets a mention in the article that was posted) and other assorted bonuses.

Of course guys lower down on the card don't make as much money but then they're not selling PPV's.

WOW!

Last edited by eddieskyclad; 11-09-2006 at 10:09 AM.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:39 AM

Halftime Gold came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalftime Gold came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalftime Gold came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalftime Gold came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalftime Gold came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalftime Gold came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalftime Gold came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalftime Gold came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalftime Gold came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalftime Gold came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalftime Gold came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Interestingly enough there was an article by Dave Meltzer in the Wrestling Observer Newsletter this week that I hadn't read when I posted my bit about pay.

Yes Yoshida/Ogawa got massive pay for their NYE event but that was all money fronted by the television network and for regular events the top guys in Japan don't get near those figures and in reality the top guys in Japan don't come close to the guys who fight in the top 2 fights on a UFC PPV do. Of course that's all because of the PPV revenue clauses that the fighters have (which barely gets a mention in the article that was posted) and other assorted bonuses.

I'd guess that most of what the top guys in Japan make actually comes ontop of their fight salary, MMA is so much more mainstream that the potential for endorsements/advertising must be far greater than in the US.

Quote:
Of course guys lower down on the card don't make as much money but then they're not selling PPV's.
The problem is that pretty much noone in Japan right now has the potential to leap straight to the top of the card given Pride's limated and K1's almost nonextistant exposure in the US. Silva seems the most likely because of the possibility of a Liddell match but someone like Barnett would likely have to take a large wage cut to start at the bottom of the ladder. Theres also the possibility theres bad blood between him and the UFC due to the failed drugs test plus of course he wouldnt get to play at being the fist of the north star in the US.
Old 11-09-2006, 01:57 PM
johnkettleyisaweatherman

Quote:
Originally posted by Halftime Gold
I'd guess that most of what the top guys in Japan make actually comes ontop of their fight salary, MMA is so much more mainstream that the potential for endorsements/advertising must be far greater than in the US.
You're right of course but Chuck's deal with Xyience was reported at 7 figures so there's a big opportunity for guys in the US to make a fair whack external to fighting too.

Everyone seems to have jumped on the UFC pay thing and at least according to Meltzer (and Dana White in a recent interview with Meltzer) seem to suggest otherwise. Obviously White has reason to spin things positively in the UFC's favour but I wouldn't think he'd flat out lie about things. Yes the downside guarantees are relatively low, yes the win bonuses aren't much better but if you're selling PPV's or putting bums on seats then you're financial package will reflect this. Case in point Forrest Griffin, his contract for winning TUF mean he's currently on 16k for a fight with 16k extra for winning. Considering his place on the card, the ratings he gets and the buyrates he draws. that's a ridiculously low figure. But for his fight with Ortiz he was cut into the PPV revenue and made close to 7 figures. Which is bigger than the entire TUF Contract was worth in the first place.

But anyways enough about pay.

The question is will Pride be able to survive and prosper like they had in the past and if not what then for their top guys?

WOW!
Old 11-09-2006, 05:26 PM

Quote:
The question is will Pride be able to survive and prosper like they had in the past and if not what then for their top guys?
Right now as I understand it they've lost their free TV contract to show events on delay but still have PPV coverage. If there anything like a Japanese pro wrestling company the lions share of their income comes from the live gate so I guess their not in serious trouble right now but lack of coverage could have more of a long term effect.

If they were to go under I'd guess most of their top guys would be likely to stay in Japan where there likely to be much larger draws. The WFA might be interesting I spose as Crocop mentioned having had an offer from them when in dispute with Pride about his contract for Final Conflict.
Old 11-09-2006, 05:46 PM
johnkettleyisaweatherman

Well the Fuji Networkl did a lot more than simply broadcast Pride shows... I'm pretty sure they paid all production costs and put a lot of other monies into the company.

Obviously Pride have cut back big time on production (at one point they had a better looking product than any MMA/Pro-Wrestling company in the world) to offset those loses (and I imagine downsizes in payoffs will have to follow) and as a company they rely far more on quality than production values but these things do have an effect. My question is though - without regular television how do they build up personalities, how do they develop feuds and how do they sell fights on PPV?

Will be interesting to see where Pride is in 12 months time and exactly how much they do have to downsize. It's also interesting to see how much effort they actually do put in to building their reputation in Korea and North America.

WOW!
Old 11-09-2006, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Well the Fuji Networkl did a lot more than simply broadcast Pride shows... I'm pretty sure they paid all production costs and put a lot of other monies into the company.

Obviously Pride have cut back big time on production (at one point they had a better looking product than any MMA/Pro-Wrestling company in the world) to offset those loses (and I imagine downsizes in payoffs will have to follow) and as a company they rely far more on quality than production values but these things do have an effect. My question is though - without regular television how do they build up personalities, how do they develop feuds and how do they sell fights on PPV?

Will be interesting to see where Pride is in 12 months time and exactly how much they do have to downsize. It's also interesting to see how much effort they actually do put in to building their reputation in Korea and North America.
It does look like their putting alot of effort into the US show next month with Fedor fighting Coleman for the title and many of the bigger stars appearing(although I'd guess that post GP some of them are going to be struggling to make it). Plus theres the whole business with Tyson supposidly signing for them, I'v heard just about everything rumoured for that from Tyson/Crocop under K1 rules in Vegas to Tyson/Sapp in an exhibition boxing match at the new years eve show to get back free TV coverage.

Can we talk about the GP finals now or are people still looking to keep spoiler free?
Old 11-09-2006, 08:39 PM
Panty Organizer

There is no way, NO WAY, Griffin got anywhere near $1m for his fight with Ortiz, even if he got any type of PPV bonus. No way. And as far as why would Dana White lie? At heart, he's still a fight promoter. That's a good enough reason.
Old 18-09-2006, 11:27 AM

With the Pride US show coming up featuring neither what are peoples feelings on the old elbows vs stomps/soccer kicks/knee's debate?
Old 18-09-2006, 11:17 PM
johnkettleyisaweatherman

Quote:
Originally posted by Funk Butter
There is no way, NO WAY, Griffin got anywhere near $1m for his fight with Ortiz, even if he got any type of PPV bonus. No way.
A seven figure pay-off is probably too high and I feel I may have misquoted Meltzer on that one (though I'm too lazy to double check tonight and I know for sure Ortiz topped seven figures comfortably) but it definately will not be as far off as you think. In last weeks WON Meltzer mentioned that Griffin's PPV bonus for UFC 62 is expected to be between $300,000 and $550,000 (dependant on the final buyrate) where he faced Stephan Bonnar which was clearly the number two fight on the show. So for sure it's a long way off $1,000,000 but Ortiz vs Griffin was the bout that sold UFC 59 and the contracts apparently reflected this (although obviously more so Ortiz than Griffin).

And yes promoters lie. But to make such a flat out lie by claiming you've created millionaires when you're really only paying them 18k per fight is beyond ridiculous. A little bit of positive spin is one thing but generally regarding pay when a promoter says something it's in the ballpark (otherwise why say it at all). And looking at the lifestyles of the guys in question (Rich Franklin for example who is still on the $18k to show plus an $18k win bonus) and the fact they can buy hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of real estate outright you do have to wonder how they'd be able to do that without the substantial PPV pay-offs that rarely get mentioned...

EDIT: Perhaps I'm paying too much respect to Dave Meltzer (which I often get accused of in the wrestling thread) but he does know his onions and while he's obviously Pro-Wrestling focused he breaks a scary amount of MMA news too and seems to have unparalled inside knowlegde on the inner workings of UFC.

WOW!

Last edited by eddieskyclad; 18-09-2006 at 11:21 PM.
Old 19-09-2006, 10:07 AM

Daddy Long : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDaddy Long : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDaddy Long : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDaddy Long : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDaddy Long : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDaddy Long : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDaddy Long : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDaddy Long : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDaddy Long : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDaddy Long : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDaddy Long : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Ultimate Fighter The Comeback is still pretty good viewing and the cream is clearly rising to the top. The Semi Finals should be much closer fights
Old 24-09-2006, 02:19 AM
johnkettleyisaweatherman

Well Ortiz has officially signed on for the Liddell fight in December... the only question left is will they manage to top 1,000,000 buys?

WOW!
Old 26-09-2006, 12:31 PM

Basically, if Penn had better conditioning he would have beaten Hughes. But he doesn't and so he didn't.
Old 26-09-2006, 02:08 PM

SexualChocolate came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSexualChocolate came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSexualChocolate came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSexualChocolate came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSexualChocolate came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSexualChocolate came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSexualChocolate came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSexualChocolate came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSexualChocolate came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSexualChocolate came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSexualChocolate came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally posted by Daddy Long
Basically, if Penn had better conditioning he would have beaten Hughes. But he doesn't and so he didn't.
F*ck BJ, f*ck him up his b1tch a$$! Hughes won fair and square, now GSP can take the crown off the real champ, rather than that chump BJ!