Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Other Sport » World of Sport

Notices

World of Sport Discuss all other sport. Includes betting and gambling threads.

View Poll Results: Who do you want to win in the UFC tonight?
Tito 'The Huntington Beach Badboy' Ortiz 3 60.00%
Ken ' The Worlds Most Dangerous Man' Shamrock 2 40.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-01-2006, 10:52 PM
Hating Sheffield Utd

Dirty Northener stands out from a crowd of mediocrity - can we have you on loan if we get back in trouble?Dirty Northener stands out from a crowd of mediocrity - can we have you on loan if we get back in trouble?Dirty Northener stands out from a crowd of mediocrity - can we have you on loan if we get back in trouble?Dirty Northener stands out from a crowd of mediocrity - can we have you on loan if we get back in trouble?Dirty Northener stands out from a crowd of mediocrity - can we have you on loan if we get back in trouble?Dirty Northener stands out from a crowd of mediocrity - can we have you on loan if we get back in trouble?
Quote:
Originally posted by Halftime Gold
Does anyone want to be kept spoiler free for Prides new year's eve show or can we discuss results from that?
I think discuss away, there wont be too many people posting on this thread regularly so i say lets post spoilers as we all probably know the results already.
Old 09-01-2006, 10:56 PM
Hating Sheffield Utd

Dirty Northener stands out from a crowd of mediocrity - can we have you on loan if we get back in trouble?Dirty Northener stands out from a crowd of mediocrity - can we have you on loan if we get back in trouble?Dirty Northener stands out from a crowd of mediocrity - can we have you on loan if we get back in trouble?Dirty Northener stands out from a crowd of mediocrity - can we have you on loan if we get back in trouble?Dirty Northener stands out from a crowd of mediocrity - can we have you on loan if we get back in trouble?Dirty Northener stands out from a crowd of mediocrity - can we have you on loan if we get back in trouble?
Quote:
Originally posted by BringBackSasa
BJ vs St Pierre in March, I can't wait. It could be fight of the year. Although I generally prefer Pride, the UFC has got an amazing ww division.
Thatll be a great match but how stupid are the UFC for making it. They bring back Penn for what will be big money and say if he loses then that tarnishes him straight away. If he wins then it stops the St Pierre band wagon. It would have made more sense to have Penn vs Hughes re-match with the winner facing St Pierre to my mind.

Apparently though Penn said he'd ONLY fight Pierre in his first match back and Pierre accepted this. Its risky for Pierre but i admire his guts. Penn will win a decision though in my mind.

I also find it stupid putting Forrest Griffin in with Tito Ortiz next up as they should build Griffin up more slowly and have him win a few more matches first. Ortiz will walk that match.
Old 10-01-2006, 01:32 AM

Halftime Gold came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalftime Gold came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalftime Gold came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalftime Gold came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalftime Gold came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalftime Gold came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalftime Gold came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalftime Gold came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalftime Gold came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalftime Gold came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalftime Gold came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I wonder whats going to happen to the new Pride Welterweight and Lightweight titles now? You'd think they'd been defended on the main shows rather than Bushido considering theres much more native talent in them both than at middle/heavyweight. Might just persuade Sakuraba to move down in weight before he gets killed aswell if that happens.

I'm glad Silva beat Arona as I can't stand the latters boring lay and pray fighting style. I wonder what Shogan is going to do now though? he must surely be next in line for a title shot but neither team mate seemed to be too keen on taking on the other with Silva seemling admitting they would have worked the GP final if they met.
Old 10-01-2006, 02:13 AM
Panty Organizer

Funk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is here
Quote:
I wonder whats going to happen to the new Pride Welterweight and Lightweight titles now? You'd think they'd been defended on the main shows rather than Bushido considering theres much more native talent in them both than at middle/heavyweight. Might just persuade Sakuraba to move down in weight before he gets killed aswell if that happens.
Word on the street is that Sakuraba is wanting to compete in whatever tourney they have planned for this year: Heavyweight or Open-Weight. I think its due to being smashed in the face too many times.
Old 10-01-2006, 01:49 PM

Halftime Gold came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalftime Gold came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalftime Gold came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalftime Gold came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalftime Gold came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalftime Gold came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalftime Gold came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalftime Gold came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalftime Gold came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalftime Gold came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalftime Gold came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally posted by Funk Butter
Word on the street is that Sakuraba is wanting to compete in whatever tourney they have planned for this year: Heavyweight or Open-Weight. I think its due to being smashed in the face too many times.
Lets hope someone talks some sense into him then, looking at how badly he was mauled by Arona I can only imagine how nasty a fight with someone like Fedor could be. I actually think he's still a pretty good fighter dispite the injuries but the way the sports evolved the weight difference is just too much to overcome verus anyone decent. I can understand him not wanting to drop down to welterweight when that ment also dropping down to the Bushido shows but if the new title is going to be defended on main shows thats no longer the case.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:42 AM
Hating Sheffield Utd

Quote:
Oh dear, he'd get destroyed by most of the heavyweights, i still think he's a good fighter though but in his own weight class!

Who do you all think will be the first person to beat Fedor then?

I see Fedor's brother has said they would be willing to fight each other if asked to!!!!!!!
Old 11-01-2006, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dirty Northener
Oh dear, he'd get destroyed by most of the heavyweights, i still think he's a good fighter though but in his own weight class!

I see Fedor's brother has said they would be willing to fight each other if asked to!!!!!!!
There is a sambo match between them floating around the the net so they don't seem to have a problem with it, Alek doesnt seem to be a fan favourite though so unless he beats a big name or they meet in the GP I doubt it would happen. The big Nogueira brother is the second best heavweight in the world IMHO but I don't see him ever beating Fedor who's just too good on the ground to be submitted or pounded. The only way I see Fedor losing is if someone with a powerful standup game manages to land a massive shot so Crocop still seems the most likely to me(if he takes some time off) even after his loss to him last year, Segei Kharitanov and Alek would have a chance aswell IMHO . If Mark Hunt were to improve his ground defense to the same level as Crocops then he might have an even better chance, he looks like the best pure boxer of any heavyweight I'v seen(so would I'd guess he'd harder to push back than a counter striker like Crocop) and is pretty much un KOable(took 2 Crocop highkicks in the new years match without even flinching).

Last edited by Halftime Gold; 11-01-2006 at 11:10 AM.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:58 PM
Hating Sheffield Utd

Quote:
If Mark Hunt were to improve his ground defense to the same level as Crocops then he might have an even better chance, he looks like the best pure boxer of any heavyweight I'v seen(so would I'd guess he'd harder to push back than a counter striker like Crocop) and is pretty much un KOable(took 2 Crocop highkicks in the new years match without even flinching).
Ive heard about him taking those 2 shots, havent seen the event yet, was it impressive? Im going to try and get it on DVD shortly.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:29 PM
Panty Organizer

Funk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is here
Quote:

Sakuraba did fight in the first open-weight Grand Prix. But his road consisted of a win over Mezger, a win over Royce Gracie (a 90-min fight no less) then a 15 minute fight against Vovchanchin. So he didn't have a problem with weight until Igor. By then he was decimated physically from 90min with Gracie, so his corner threw in the towel after the 1st round with Igor.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:42 PM
Hating Sheffield Utd

Quote:
Sakuraba did fight in the first open-weight Grand Prix. But his road consisted of a win over Mezger, a win over Royce Gracie (a 90-min fight no less) then a 15 minute fight against Vovchanchin. So he didn't have a problem with weight until Igor. By then he was decimated physically from 90min with Gracie, so his corner threw in the towel after the 1st round with Igor.
I actually watched that event last week on DVD. I like a good technical fight but the 90 minute Gracie vs Sakuraba match was a bit dull i thought. It showed to me too how much the standard has improved in MMA since then as some of the fighters in that tournament wouldnt last a round with the likes of Fedor, Noguiera, Cro Cop, Arlovski etc.

Out of interest, where would everyone rank Andre Arlovski from UFC compared to all the Pride heavyweights? Id have him 4th behind Cro Cop (a healthy one that is), Noguiera and Fedor. Im looking forward to Frank Mir vs Arlovski when Mir is healthy again. Cant think of the last time UFC had a really top class heavyweight match on a show.
Old 11-01-2006, 11:51 PM

Quote:
I actually watched that event last week on DVD. I like a good technical fight but the 90 minute Gracie vs Sakuraba match was a bit dull i thought. It showed to me too how much the standard has improved in MMA since then as some of the fighters in that tournament wouldnt last a round with the likes of Fedor, Noguiera, Cro Cop, Arlovski etc.

Out of interest, where would everyone rank Andre Arlovski from UFC compared to all the Pride heavyweights? Id have him 4th behind Cro Cop (a healthy one that is), Noguiera and Fedor. Im looking forward to Frank Mir vs Arlovski when Mir is healthy again. Cant think of the last time UFC had a really top class heavyweight match on a show.
Indeed I'd say that modern MMA is alot closer to what people were expecting from the early UFC's. Standup espeically is for me alot more exciting that either boxing or kickboxing as normally something is always happening with fighters unable to just cover up or stall. As the sports advanced though its made weight much more of a factor again since fighters have fewer obvious weaknesses to exploit. Sakuraba in with someone like Fedor would be risking serious injury IMHO as he's got enough of a chin to take lots of punishment and is unlike to submit plus the refs tend to hold off the stoppages a bit longer for him.

From what little I'v seen of Arlovski he looks very good but the fact he's not really faced anyone makes it hard to gauge what kind of level he's at compaired to the Pride guys. I'd say the heavyweight division in general seems to have fewer complete fighters so often guys can have really bad matchups like Fedor for Nogueira(strong wrestler who can avoid all his subs while pounding him) or Hunt for Crocop(Iron chin that negates his big shots).
Old 15-01-2006, 03:25 PM

Word has it that the UFC will run 22 events this year(half TV speicals half PPV's) and that the yearly Pride GP will be open weight. The latter certainly matchs up with Sakuraba;s comments, I just hope they keep him away from the likes of Fedor/Crocop/Segei.
Old 16-01-2006, 11:33 PM
Hating Sheffield Utd

Quote:
Word has it that the UFC will run 22 events this year(half TV speicals half PPV's) and that the yearly Pride GP will be open weight. The latter certainly matchs up with Sakuraba;s comments, I just hope they keep him away from the likes of Fedor/Crocop/Segei.
22 Events
Old 18-01-2006, 09:39 AM
Hating Sheffield Utd

What does everyone think to the UFC's announcement that Matt Hughes will fight Royce Gracie shortly, im really excited by this even though Royce is advancing in age.
Old 18-01-2006, 02:21 PM

Quote:
What does everyone think to the UFC's announcement that Matt Hughes will fight Royce Gracie shortly, im really excited by this even though Royce is advancing in age.
Its been along time since Royce beat anyone decent(12 years IMHO) but I'd guess it will draw in a big audience and at least be competitive.

I'd hope the Pride openweight GP sticks to only heavys and middle/lightheavys, something like....

Fedor Emelianenko
Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira
Mirko Filipovic
Mark Hunt
Sergei Kharitonov
Aleksander Emelianenko
Kazuyuki Fujita
Fabricio Werdum
James Thompson
Hidehiko Yoshida
Wanderlei Silva
Ricardo Arona
Mauricio Rua
Antonio Rogerio Nogueira
Quinton Jackson
Kazuhiro Nakamura
Alistair Overeem

All those middleweights would be more competitive than the slugs they'd have to drag in to make up the numbers for a heavy GP. Just think how loaded the total elimination card could be with that then Gomi and Sakuraba could have light/welterweight title matchs at either Critcal Coundown or Final Conflict to give some native interest.

Last edited by Halftime Gold; 18-01-2006 at 02:30 PM.
Old 18-01-2006, 03:42 PM
Panty Organizer

Quote:
Gracie is gonna get his ass kicked. He hasn't done anything of note since UFC 4. And everybody coming up now is training at least partially in BJJ.
Old 18-01-2006, 04:11 PM
Hating Sheffield Utd

Quote:
Gracie is gonna get his ass kicked. He hasn't done anything of note since UFC 4. And everybody coming up now is training at least partially in BJJ.
Do you think the match will be just 3 rounds??
Old 18-01-2006, 04:37 PM
Panty Organizer

Quote:
Do you think the match will be just 3 rounds??
No idea, Royce is notorious for agreeing to fight only under specific rules. That's why the Sakuraba match went 90 minutes. It was no time limit, no judges decision match. His last fight in Japan on New Years' Eve was a no judges match, that's why it was a draw. He might try to do the same here, but I still don't think he can hold out for a draw.

Last edited by Funk Butter; 18-01-2006 at 04:57 PM.
Old 19-01-2006, 09:44 AM
Hating Sheffield Utd

Quote:
No idea, Royce is notorious for agreeing to fight only under specific rules. That's why the Sakuraba match went 90 minutes. It was no time limit, no judges decision match. His last fight in Japan on New Years' Eve was a no judges match, that's why it was a draw. He might try to do the same here, but I still don't think he can hold out for a draw.
I agree. I think Matt Hughes will have a bit too much. Having said that Dennis Hallman beat Hughes twice so Gracie could submit him. I watched a good event last night that i got on DVD a week ago. It was Rumble on the Rock 4 with Gomi vs Penn for the main event, it was a great fight too. Never seen Gomi in a bad fight. Bushido 7 is my next event to watch on DVD now.
Old 19-01-2006, 11:22 AM

Quote:
I agree. I think Matt Hughes will have a bit too much. Having said that Dennis Hallman beat Hughes twice so Gracie could submit him. I watched a good event last night that i got on DVD a week ago. It was Rumble on the Rock 4 with Gomi vs Penn for the main event, it was a great fight too. Never seen Gomi in a bad fight. Bushido 7 is my next event to watch on DVD now.
His match verus Luiz Azeredo on that show is one of my favourites ever, wouldnt be out of place at the end of an 80's Jackie Chan film.