Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Other Sport » World of Football

Notices

World of Football All non Palace football talk - includes latest scores on Internationals and matches that affect palace.

Old 06-03-2015, 03:50 PM

Tim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I've not exactly been blown away, on the couple of occasions I've seen him play?
Old 06-03-2015, 04:11 PM
Jolene Jolene Jolene...

Woosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is here
He's not a player that brings that wow factor, he's steady and knows where to be and what to do when playing against lads older than him and some first team players. He has pace, good positional awareness most of the time, he's excellent in one vs one situations. Good going forward which sometimes makes him forget about his defensive duties but overall a confident player. He hasn't been as good lately for various reasons, but is getting back to his best.

If we can winter this one out, we can summer anywhere
Old 06-03-2015, 04:26 PM

CPFC_WW belongs to OllieCPFC_WW belongs to OllieCPFC_WW belongs to OllieCPFC_WW belongs to OllieCPFC_WW belongs to OllieCPFC_WW belongs to OllieCPFC_WW belongs to OllieCPFC_WW belongs to OllieCPFC_WW belongs to OllieCPFC_WW belongs to OllieCPFC_WW belongs to Ollie
Really at this stage its all speculation as players develop at different rates/times, whereas some are brilliant at 16/17 and then plateau for whatever reason and there are others who flourish as they get old (better in my opinion).

Ultimately, theyve all got the skill to get to scholarship/u21 level its then really about mental ability and that's where a lot fall down unfortunately.
Old 06-03-2015, 04:52 PM
EAGLES

Billyd Sam the man is hereBillyd Sam the man is hereBillyd Sam the man is hereBillyd Sam the man is hereBillyd Sam the man is hereBillyd Sam the man is hereBillyd Sam the man is hereBillyd Sam the man is hereBillyd Sam the man is hereBillyd Sam the man is hereBillyd Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPFC_WW View Post
Really at this stage its all speculation as players develop at different rates/times, whereas some are brilliant at 16/17 and then plateau for whatever reason and there are others who flourish as they get old (better in my opinion).

Ultimately, theyve all got the skill to get to scholarship/u21 level its then really about mental ability and that's where a lot fall down unfortunately.

Quite. Their attitude and what happens from now is so variable. For someone to say he will be a regular premier league player a couple of years time based on how good he is now is complete nonsense. That said you never really knew until they get a contract and even a taste of first team football.

Some will think they have made it, spend their new found earnings every week and turn in to the big bollocks. Where as others it will make them work twice as hard and increase their desire to suceed even more.

Remember it was only 3/4 years ago that zaha and ashley paul robinson were pretty much on a levelplaying field, both broke into the first team around the same time. Look where their carears went. Look at the difference of attitude at the time. Its no coincidence.

Egbo has talent and will do well if he works hard.
Old 06-03-2015, 04:55 PM
Time For Heroes

CPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is hereCPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is hereCPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is hereCPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is hereCPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is hereCPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is hereCPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is hereCPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is hereCPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is hereCPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is hereCPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woosie View Post
He's not a player that brings that wow factor, he's steady and knows where to be and what to do when playing against lads older than him and some first team players. He has pace, good positional awareness most of the time, he's excellent in one vs one situations. Good going forward which sometimes makes him forget about his defensive duties but overall a confident player. He hasn't been as good lately for various reasons, but is getting back to his best.
You could have described Clyne, there.

If he turns our as good as him, he'll have a bloody good career.
Old 06-03-2015, 05:18 PM

CPFC_WW belongs to OllieCPFC_WW belongs to OllieCPFC_WW belongs to OllieCPFC_WW belongs to OllieCPFC_WW belongs to OllieCPFC_WW belongs to OllieCPFC_WW belongs to OllieCPFC_WW belongs to OllieCPFC_WW belongs to OllieCPFC_WW belongs to OllieCPFC_WW belongs to Ollie
Yep, completely agree with all of that!
Old 06-03-2015, 05:30 PM
Around the Fur

Seba came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSeba came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSeba came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSeba came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSeba came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSeba came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSeba came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSeba came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSeba came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSeba came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSeba came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Reckon he won't sign as he's annoyed I didn't answer his phone call after that U21 match back in January. Sorry guys. My bad.....
Old 06-03-2015, 05:48 PM
Wondering why it matters!

Martin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is here
Big difference with Clyne was that he wasn't really recognised in the same way as Egbo though. I don't even think he was first choice right back was he? As a result he played LB quite a lot I think. The first choice RB was that guy that was awarded a contract and promptly got a really bad injury. Similarly Wilf wasn't the shining star right up until just before he had his debut.

At a mini level I can remember the most of the brilliant youngsters I played with at school melted away before they got to adult football. At the level these guys are playing at the difference between U18 and first team is a chasm and a half. It does show you how good Owen, Rooney, Giggs and maybe as far back as Trevor Francis were to break through at 18 or 16 even for Trev.

I was lucky enough in my youth to play alongside some very good players (by luck really) but some of the best of those never got close and some that you would never expect to make it got a lot closer. Digressing alert - bit different with our school cricket team as we ended up with 2 County and England players out of our year and the year below.
Old 06-03-2015, 06:33 PM

Gazza2 Sam the man is hereGazza2 Sam the man is hereGazza2 Sam the man is hereGazza2 Sam the man is hereGazza2 Sam the man is hereGazza2 Sam the man is hereGazza2 Sam the man is hereGazza2 Sam the man is hereGazza2 Sam the man is hereGazza2 Sam the man is hereGazza2 Sam the man is here
All the extra prem TV money has even filtered down to the market for the most promising 17 year olds. They all have agents and the most promising will have offers on table from other clubs. The wages that some clubs are willing to pay these young lads is getting silly. Chelsea paying Loftus-Cheek 6k a week at 17 for example. This inflates the market for all clubs. Two years ago Palace announced that they had given Allassani the most lucrative contract ever given to 17 year old at the club. Don't be fooled into thinking that these lads should have some sort of strong loyalty to Palace and sign a pro deal and turn down offers from other clubs which may provide better opportunity for progression to first team or the sort of money that could set them up for a life outside football. As 50% of lads who get pro deal at 17 are out of the pro game at 21. Most of these lads are not Palace fans. Most seem to support Arsenal. They are rightly career orientated and more interested in doing what is best for them rather than what us best for Palace. Saying that, they do respect the club and nearly all of them do exhibit the sort of loyalty we all would to an employer who has treated us well and trained us well. But like most of us, they would not turn down a really good offer from a rival employer.
IMHO the club should match whatever best offer is that Egbo has received from other clubs as we can afford it with the TV money and it would be a worthwhile investment / gamble.

Last edited by Gazza2; 08-03-2015 at 12:43 AM.
Old 06-03-2015, 06:36 PM

Gazza2 Sam the man is hereGazza2 Sam the man is hereGazza2 Sam the man is hereGazza2 Sam the man is hereGazza2 Sam the man is hereGazza2 Sam the man is hereGazza2 Sam the man is hereGazza2 Sam the man is hereGazza2 Sam the man is hereGazza2 Sam the man is hereGazza2 Sam the man is here
I should say that every time I've seen Egbo play his attitude is absolutely spot on. Plays and works hard and totally buys into the team. Been captain quite a few times. Honest, down to earth lad.
Old 06-03-2015, 06:38 PM

Saints get around the initial pro deal issue by having a standard initial pro contract that all 17 year old getting kept on are offered. It has relatively mid range weekly basic but bonuses and pay rises built into it based on how many first time appearances made.
Old 06-03-2015, 06:45 PM
BTC

Far East Eagle Sam the man is hereFar East Eagle Sam the man is hereFar East Eagle Sam the man is hereFar East Eagle Sam the man is hereFar East Eagle Sam the man is hereFar East Eagle Sam the man is hereFar East Eagle Sam the man is hereFar East Eagle Sam the man is hereFar East Eagle Sam the man is hereFar East Eagle Sam the man is hereFar East Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin H View Post
Digressing alert - bit different with our school cricket team as we ended up with 2 County and England players out of our year and the year below.
wow, very impressive. Which school did you go to? One of my mates went on to play for Essex
Old 06-03-2015, 06:45 PM

Egbo scores goals as well. Bit of a free kick expert.
Old 06-03-2015, 06:49 PM

You are right Martin H. Abnett played RB and Clyne LB. Clyne was relatively late developer. Egbo been considered a top prospect from young age.
Old 06-03-2015, 07:08 PM
Putting on an iron shirt

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
Quote:
I was lucky enough in my youth to play alongside some very good players (by luck really) but some of the best of those never got close and some that you would never expect to make it got a lot closer. Digressing alert - bit different with our school cricket team as we ended up with 2 County and England players out of our year and the year below.
Colin Cowdrey? Peter May?
Old 07-03-2015, 12:56 AM

Martin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Far East Eagle View Post
wow, very impressive. Which school did you go to? One of my mates went on to play for Essex
Lutterworth in Leicesetershire. The players were Nigel Briers (nibbles) who played a few times for England I think but was Captain of Leicestershire and Nick Cook (spin Bowler for Northants and England) who was in the year below me and Nigel.

I never really played Cricket prior to this school but it was always a bit of a joke in (what was called Games period) as no one could ever (and I do mean ever) get Nibs out (even in the inter school matches) and Nick was almost unplayable at times when he was bowling. I seem to remember Nick bowled faster than the average medium pacer but could turn the ball at will. Both were great 'lads' and always up for a laugh but it made cricket a bit boring for the rest of us TBH Nibs was also a good footballer but also a very good Rugby player and I think he played Centre or Fly Half for England at Schoolboy level. He was smart and probably good looking too - doh! Nick mostly played cricket really but in kickarounds did OK at football and I got to know him then through that initially.

Both were very 'focused' and serious about the sport. There were a couple of lads that went on to play professional football as well Mark Challenor (I think) and guy that was signed by Stoke as a youngster but can't remember his name now but it might have been Potts? Another guy from school that I played with was offered a contract by Leicester but had a heart murmur and another who was a genius turned one down because he could be a***d and became a policeman eventually. Sounds weird but he really couldn't be a***d to commit to it. Amazing player though and one year scored 60ish goals in 20 or so matches without breaking a sweat.

I just ran around a lot

Good times.
Old 07-03-2015, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazza2 View Post
You are right Martin H. Abnett played RB and Clyne LB. Clyne was relatively late developer. Egbo been considered a top prospect from young age.
What happened to Abnett. Did he leave football altogether? Such a shame as he was right on the edge at the time.
Old 07-03-2015, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Aguila View Post
Colin Cowdrey? Peter May?
Nah - see post above - I was born in Croydon but by 11 I was living in Leicestershire due to my Father's work. Remember Cowdrey well and May just about but they were probably at their peak while I was still at school

Just as reference - when I started playing Subbuteo cricket I reckon England opened with Luckhurst and Edrich and had D'Oliveira playing in the middle order and John Snow as the fast bowler. Knotty was the keeper. Underwood, Pocock and later Illingworth were spinning. Used to love John Edrich who would always roll his sleeves up and tough it out but could also play when the pitch allowed. But now I am really getting carried away = soz

Back to Egbo - which is tough from there - I really hope he decides to stay and that we can see him fight his way into the squad but he will need to go out on loan first I guess.
Old 07-03-2015, 10:58 PM

Quote:
What happened to Abnett. Did he leave football altogether? Such a shame as he was right on the edge at the time.
No he still plays. Seems to play full seasons over in Iceland and then pop back and play local non league. Was playing for Dulwich Hamlet in Feb so is probably still there.
Old 08-03-2015, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazza2 View Post
No he still plays. Seems to play full seasons over in Iceland and then pop back and play local non league. Was playing for Dulwich Hamlet in Feb so is probably still there.
Glad he is still playing but the timing of that injury was really tough for him. Good luck to him though.