Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Other Sport » World of Football

Notices

World of Football All non Palace football talk - includes latest scores on Internationals and matches that affect palace.

Old 11-10-2017, 04:01 PM
Selhurstian

EagleSE24 Sam the man is hereEagleSE24 Sam the man is hereEagleSE24 Sam the man is hereEagleSE24 Sam the man is hereEagleSE24 Sam the man is hereEagleSE24 Sam the man is hereEagleSE24 Sam the man is hereEagleSE24 Sam the man is hereEagleSE24 Sam the man is hereEagleSE24 Sam the man is hereEagleSE24 Sam the man is here
UEFA Nations League

UEFA are launching an international tournament called the Nations League. A tournament where 55 UEFA teams are split into four leagues with promotion and relegation with the top 4 teams in the top league playing in a showcase tournament in 2019. To view the link you have to Register or Login

I only heard about it today when they announced the four leagues. England in League A. Wales, Ireland & N Ireland in League B and Scotland in League C.

Seems the major points are:
- It's a move to ensure more meaningful international competition in Europe and fewer friendlies
- The teams in each league will be divided into 4 groups of 3-4 teams.
- Teams that win their group get promoted
- Teams that finish bottom of their group get relegated

In addition Euros qualifying will be changed. It will now be 10 groups of 5-6 teams. with the top two going through automatically.
- The remaining four places will be decided by playoffs based on Nations League positions.
- The top 4 teams in each league (who haven't already qualified through the traditional route) will have a 4 team playoff to gain a place at the Euros. There will be one place allocated to each league, meaning that there will be a guaranteed place at the European Championships for at least one team in the bottom division.

Will be interesting to see how it all works out. Good idea or bad idea?
Old 11-10-2017, 04:04 PM

meee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is here
It's been on the cards for a while.It's actually been in the last few Football Manager games too.I wasn't sure about teams in League D or whatever they call it getting a qualification spot but in terms of making friendlies more meaningful and competitive I think it's a great idea.
Old 11-10-2017, 04:16 PM

Olympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by meee View Post
I think it's a great idea.
LOL - I just had a quick read about it on the BBC website before coming on here & I couldn't understand a bloody thing. I'll have anther read
Old 11-10-2017, 04:22 PM

meee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is heremeee Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympian2 View Post
LOL - I just had a quick read about it on the BBC website before coming on here & I couldn't understand a bloody thing. I'll have anther read
There's 4 leagues essentially with groups of 3 teams in the top league and 4 teams in the B,C and D leagues.Every country plays each team in their group once.The winners of the group get promoted to the league above them and the bottom teams are relegated to the league below.In League A the 4 group winners will play in a play off to decide the winner of the overall tournament.

In terms of Euro 2020,the qualification format is essentially the same,but teams who don't qualify in the traditional route will get a second opportunity if they perform well in the Nations League.Hope that clears up some questions.The Euro 2020 qualifying side of it is quite complicated.
Old 11-10-2017, 04:22 PM
Up the Palace!!!

Latvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is here
It's a little complicated until we see it in action. It effectively means the top teams will play tougher opposition etc and the weaker teams will play each other and not waste everyone else's time.
Old 11-10-2017, 04:36 PM
Watching Paint Dry

WorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is here
I'd read about this a long time ago, but they haven't done a good job of marketing it up to now. England to get relegated in season one?
Old 11-10-2017, 05:07 PM
Cookies make life better

firesign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is here
Just been reading about it on BBC - had totally passed me by. My initial thought it is that it is quite complicated but, on balance, probably a good idea.

To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 11-10-2017, 05:32 PM

switchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is here
Group C looks like a riot is guaranteed every week!

I don't get it at all but have only skimmed it.

Can't they give us a mock layout with teams in it rather than blank spaces so it makes a bit more sense?
"Every time a new player comes to the club I always try to make them understand what it means to play for Crystal Palace. It's a place unlike other clubs, the fans they're just incredible and I want them to understand that. It's part of my job as a senior player to make sure they know what it is and the passion behind it." - Speroni
Old 11-10-2017, 05:37 PM
moist

chelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is here
I like it. Friendlies are so boring and have been for many many years. anything to improve on them is good. It should also mean competitive matches for everyone and that one smaller nation gets in the euros finals. (Asia have done something similar for a while in terms of a smaller nation qualifying for the finals.s
Old 11-10-2017, 05:44 PM
Watching Paint Dry

WorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is here
Doesn't seem to say if the group draws within each league are seeded. So you could end up with a group of Germany, Spain, Italy and another with Poland, Iceland and Croatia?
Old 11-10-2017, 05:58 PM
Watching Paint Dry

Quote:
Originally Posted by switchboard View Post
Group C looks like a riot is guaranteed every week!

I don't get it at all but have only skimmed it.

Can't they give us a mock layout with teams in it rather than blank spaces so it makes a bit more sense?
They've made it sound a lot more complicated than it is. Probably should have called them 'Divisions' rather than 'Leagues'...

Each League has four groups - if you win your group you get promoted (League A aside), if you come bottom you get relegated (League D aside).

League A group winners qualify for the 'finals' to decide an overall champion.

In terms of Euro 2020 qualifying, after main qualifying has finished the best four teams from each League that didn't qualify through the usual route will play-off for four additional places. So we could well see Faroe Islands or Macedonia in Euro 2020.

Last edited by WorthingEagle; 11-10-2017 at 06:00 PM.
Old 11-10-2017, 07:11 PM

Ralph Sam the man is hereRalph Sam the man is hereRalph Sam the man is hereRalph Sam the man is hereRalph Sam the man is hereRalph Sam the man is hereRalph Sam the man is hereRalph Sam the man is hereRalph Sam the man is hereRalph Sam the man is hereRalph Sam the man is here
I don't get it.
Old 11-10-2017, 07:23 PM

SeanPalace84 Sam the man is hereSeanPalace84 Sam the man is hereSeanPalace84 Sam the man is hereSeanPalace84 Sam the man is hereSeanPalace84 Sam the man is hereSeanPalace84 Sam the man is hereSeanPalace84 Sam the man is hereSeanPalace84 Sam the man is hereSeanPalace84 Sam the man is hereSeanPalace84 Sam the man is hereSeanPalace84 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
I don't get it.
Same
Old 11-10-2017, 07:43 PM
Pure Codology

SE5eagle Sam the man is hereSE5eagle Sam the man is hereSE5eagle Sam the man is hereSE5eagle Sam the man is hereSE5eagle Sam the man is hereSE5eagle Sam the man is hereSE5eagle Sam the man is hereSE5eagle Sam the man is hereSE5eagle Sam the man is hereSE5eagle Sam the man is hereSE5eagle Sam the man is here
Me neither, which means it must be a fantastic idea.

Sir Clinton Morrison
Old 11-10-2017, 07:53 PM
techno sapiens

the drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is here
I think its a good idea, it will give the smaller teams a greater incentive and introduce more meaningful games for those teams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIMGb0p9hrQ
Old 11-10-2017, 08:05 PM
Collecting Palace tat

Dorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is here
Sounds like a good idea - for example France, Sweden and Holland were all in the same qualifying group, Holland missed out despite beating Sweden in the last game. This could give a team in Hollands situation another chance.

Against it, England do set up friendlies against teams from other continents, such as Brazil, Uruguay, Mexico etc. Presume there will be less opportunity to do so in future with all these extra European ties to fit in.

Back onto the positive, England may never have to play the likes of San Marino or Liechtenstein again (barring when one of them gets through to the Euro Finals)
"Crystal Palace is cult viewing, like a late night TV show that only a few people know about, like a precious record that was never number one but makes everybody who knows it want to dance and sing… and sometimes cry." Tony, 3-7-2001

"Well, as I said before, we are only 6 points behind 4th from bottom with the prize of an additional £65 million (minimum) if we stay up. So, we'd be bonkers if that wasn't the top priority. Nobody's giving up on staying in this league." CPFC2010, 5-11-2013
Old 11-10-2017, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorking .Eagle View Post
Sounds like a good idea - for example France, Sweden and Holland were all in the same qualifying group, Holland missed out despite beating Sweden in the last game. This could give a team in Hollands situation another chance.

Against it, England do set up friendlies against teams from other continents, such as Brazil, Uruguay, Mexico etc. Presume there will be less opportunity to do so in future with all these extra European ties to fit in.

Back onto the positive, England may never have to play the likes of San Marino or Liechtenstein again (barring when one of them gets through to the Euro Finals)
I think there is still room in the calendar to arrange those friendlies.There will also still be games against the weaker sides when it comes to qualifying for major tournaments.What this does is fill a pretty mind numbing period of football with some competitive games against sides of similar ability and reduces the tedious 2 years of qualifying for major tournaments where 80% of the games are walkovers.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:23 PM
Collecting Palace tat

Dorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by meee View Post
I think there is still room in the calendar to arrange those friendlies.There will also still be games against the weaker sides when it comes to qualifying for major tournaments.What this does is fill a pretty mind numbing period of football with some competitive games against sides of similar ability and reduces the tedious 2 years of qualifying for major tournaments where 80% of the games are walkovers.
Yes, you are right. standard Euro qualifying remains, just in smaller groups. This will still largely be a walkover for England, Germany etc.

The interesting thing is the scramble for the final 4 places at the 2020 finals. You would think that almost all the 12 teams in League A will qualify through the normal route. Maybe 1 or 2 might miss out. From what I understand, a couple of teams from league B would have to join them to make up a group of 4 to compete for a final place.

Presumably the best League B teams?

Whereas lesser B teams just complete with each other for a finals place, and don't have to battle it out with A league teams!
"Crystal Palace is cult viewing, like a late night TV show that only a few people know about, like a precious record that was never number one but makes everybody who knows it want to dance and sing… and sometimes cry." Tony, 3-7-2001

"Well, as I said before, we are only 6 points behind 4th from bottom with the prize of an additional £65 million (minimum) if we stay up. So, we'd be bonkers if that wasn't the top priority. Nobody's giving up on staying in this league." CPFC2010, 5-11-2013
Old 11-10-2017, 08:26 PM
Lead Worshipper

Chillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorking .Eagle View Post
Yes, you are right. standard Euro qualifying remains, just in smaller groups. This will still largely be a walkover for England, Germany etc.

The interesting thing is the scramble for the final 4 places at the 2020 finals. You would think that almost all the 12 teams in League A will qualify through the normal route. Maybe 1 or 2 might miss out. From what I understand, a couple of teams from league B would have to join them to make up a group of 4 to compete for a final place.

Presumably the best League B teams?

Whereas lesser B teams just complete with each other for a finals place, and don't have to battle it out with A league teams!
So it reduces the unpredictability and gives the so-called stronger teams a second chance to get through, reducing the possibility of an Iceland or Panama getting to a major tournament.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:44 PM
Collecting Palace tat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillo View Post
So it reduces the unpredictability and gives the so-called stronger teams a second chance to get through, reducing the possibility of an Iceland or Panama getting to a major tournament.
A team from each of Leagues B, C and D will get through to the Finals through the playoffs, so not too shabby really though.