Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Closed Thread

Old 13-08-2017, 03:25 AM
Shields Utd Futsal Club

Location: Between Jamaica and St Maarten but Sutton for the summer
Timbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickinOx View Post
Our old style left us with one of the worst home record in the country for several years, yet some think we should have stuck with it. That says everything.
Your point certainly has some merit, but on the other hand our old style did keep us in the top division for longer than ever before

I certainly believe FdB is entitled to much more time, but it is not a good start and I am worried
Old 13-08-2017, 04:14 AM
'or 0=0'

The Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
SA had his dark days - that defeat to Sunderland for example.

Let's hope FDB gets his out of the way now so we can progress...
Old 13-08-2017, 04:17 AM

lucky_181 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelucky_181 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelucky_181 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelucky_181 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelucky_181 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelucky_181 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelucky_181 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelucky_181 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelucky_181 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelucky_181 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelucky_181 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I think most people on here have got it right in terms of being very worried. it was an absolute shambles yesterday. Defensively we were terrible and going forward we were toothless. I don't remember a serious attempt on goal. Players out of position being told to do what does not come naturally to them. We know after 5 seasons what you need to do to stay in this division and what we witnessed yesterday was a sure fire way to get relegated. Every year we have flirted with relegation and every year we have been lucky to survive despite a decent final position in the table.
Couple of things happened when SA saved us last year and that was Sakho being a rock in defence and Luka playing the DM role so well. It took pressure off the whole back 4 and slowly after almost a year of losing games the system clicked into place , people were more comfortable on the ball and games started to go our way. Cabaye played well being more forward in midfield and we started to see the best out of many players.
What i dont understand is how managers see things so differently when many of the fans see what is so obvious.
FDB looked totally lost yesterday bereft of any idea. You know he could have switched to 451 in the second half .....that at least has to be your plan B.
And then i read his post match comments about how we could have been 2-1 up. im sorry but we never looked like scoring one goal let alone two .
So straight from the off i dont like FDB. He looks to arrogant to change what he believes to be a winning style of play that does not suit us in the Prem. Only teams that can play like that are the Chelseas of the world with a enormous pool of talent.
i think we are ****ed and i also think our luck will run out this season and will be suprised to see us survive. FDB will be gone after we lose to Brighton and whoever we get in will not be able to save us. I dont think the players will have the stomach for another relegation fight.
Old 13-08-2017, 04:27 AM

lucky_181 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelucky_181 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelucky_181 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelucky_181 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelucky_181 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelucky_181 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelucky_181 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelucky_181 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelucky_181 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelucky_181 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelucky_181 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOUTHGATE EAGLE View Post
I certainly agree with the sentiment that we need to back De Boer but with a few caveats...

I'm not worried about today's result per se. I had no confidence from watching the pre-season friendlies that this system was ready for the Premier League. There are still too many players who don't quite fit it.

The problem as I see it is that we need a back up striker and a new keeper no matter what. That's already a fair chunk of change we are committed to spending if we want any quality. And that's if we play 4231.

Yet if we persist at three at the back, we also need to replace both Ward and Dann. So that's now a GK, CB, RWB and a ST. And that still leaves us with no quality cover for Wilf and Andros. That's surely too much business and money for the remainder of this summer window, especially if we are hampered by FFP. And this is all to convert to a 343 formation in the space of a couple of months.

I feel the way I felt that FdB arrived; that he would hopefully improve us technically, bring in some players able to play from the back but stick with using Wilf and Andros' pace and Benteke's physicality to get goals. If we had brought in a proper AM to add some much needed central threat, even better. Then we could have changed things for next season after the benefit of three windows of purchases.

While I have no issue with him wanting to take us into a 343 style long term, I just hope that FdB is willing to play alternative systems over this season if required. I also hope he prioritizes a ST and GK over everything because we need those positions sorted most. My fear is we will spunk more money making sure we replace perfectly good defenders like Dann and Ward to ensure the switch to three at the back and there will be little left for a back up to Benteke or a GK, which I think is potentially disastrous.

We have added enough quality that we can survive with the defenders we have now, used to their strengths, and have actually improved midfield with RLC. We can flourish with what we have, if we sort out the back up ST and GK. But if FdB is so wedded to 343 that he refuses a workable system we've used before and ignores more pressing holes in our squad to buy in defenders suited exclusively to three at the back, that's when my support for him will quickly disappear.
totally agree ....plus i lost my phone last night so i am proper fxxxcked off
Old 13-08-2017, 05:00 AM

Spender : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSpender : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSpender : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSpender : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSpender : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSpender : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSpender : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSpender : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSpender : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSpender : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSpender : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosowski View Post
Utter shambles. You hire someone to fix something that wasn't broken and don't give them the funds to do so knowing full well we don't have the players to play that system.

Cretinous. So many could see this coming.
Spot on 👍
Old 13-08-2017, 05:19 AM

Spender : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSpender : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSpender : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSpender : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSpender : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSpender : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSpender : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSpender : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSpender : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSpender : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSpender : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I have been surprised in Pre Season at how so many fans (and Steve Parish) have been swept up in a sort of euphoria over the Miraculous appointment of FDB.

The Premiership is such a tough league to deliver points in for a Manager who has no Premiership experience and who failed badly in his last high level job.

To take a side which survived relegation by the skin of its teeth last season, release its Star defender Sakho and bring in 3 inexperienced youngsters and then change totally the style of play, without adding a lot of proven top quality players was suicidal.

Pre Season confirmed in every match how wide open the new playing style makes us and the squad we have is not good enough and lacks any depth. We don't have a decent goalkeeper, imposing Centre Back, back up striker, any quality service to Benteke and with Cabaye so injury prone now we lack creativity in midfield. We cannot just rely on Wilf because opponents will just double up on him and kick him.

I fully expect FDB to be gone by Xmas and I am shocked at the naivety of our Board in thinking he could possibly deliver wins in the Premiership when little money is being spent on players and yet FDB expects what we have to suddenly play like Barcelona. It's a joke but a very bad joke.
Old 13-08-2017, 05:20 AM
CPFC LOYAL

Heath eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHeath eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHeath eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHeath eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHeath eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHeath eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHeath eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHeath eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHeath eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHeath eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHeath eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Was hoping to wake up to a bad dream, but no , 3 months looking forward to yesterday to feel like this , why oh why
Old 13-08-2017, 05:30 AM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
To get it so wrong yesterday, FDB obviously totally misread what is needed to even get close to succeeding in a Premier League match with the squad at his disposal. Now, the big question is, has he got it in his locker to be pragmatic and go back to the drawing board and change things? Or will he persist with his 'Ajax' system regardless and adamantly push forward thinking it will soon work out? If it's the latter IMHO I think he's a dreamer and we're f***ed. We'll just get picked off every game.

Although it's very early days, you have to factor in the confidence and trust of the players in FDB too. Pre season was fine: FDB is a massively respected name in the game and of course our relatively modest achieving players will listen, believe in and not question his methods. Another toothless defeat (or worse) like today and the confidence and belief will drain very quickly and the trust in the manager too.

The thing with Allardyce and Pulis is, they could point to years of evidence of keeping clubs up against the odds. That's enough for a squad to keep the faith even in the darkest moments. They have proven time and again how to succeed at this level. Unfortunately, FDB hasn't that to fall back on. The fact of him being one of the most respected ex footballers in world football or his success at Ajax means nothing now and it's only results that will garner the players respect and belief in him.

Liverpool game is massive.
Old 13-08-2017, 05:31 AM
Le Crystal Chamakh

mroakley9 Sam the man is heremroakley9 Sam the man is heremroakley9 Sam the man is heremroakley9 Sam the man is heremroakley9 Sam the man is heremroakley9 Sam the man is heremroakley9 Sam the man is heremroakley9 Sam the man is heremroakley9 Sam the man is heremroakley9 Sam the man is heremroakley9 Sam the man is here
If he can't even beat Liverpool at Anfield, I'll pack his bags for him.
Old 13-08-2017, 05:56 AM

AddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by mroakley9 View Post
If he can't even beat Liverpool at Anfield, I'll pack his bags for him.
And I'll drive him back to Amsterdam in my people carrier, it sits 3-4-3 so I guess he'd like that .
Old 13-08-2017, 05:59 AM
"reluctant buyers"

TheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is here
I actually think it comes down to the Swansea game on the 25th now.
Assuming we don't pick anything up next week against Liverpool...then that Swansea game against a fellow relegation rival takes on another dimension
Old 13-08-2017, 06:08 AM

Eagle's Nest Sam the man is hereEagle's Nest Sam the man is hereEagle's Nest Sam the man is hereEagle's Nest Sam the man is hereEagle's Nest Sam the man is hereEagle's Nest Sam the man is hereEagle's Nest Sam the man is hereEagle's Nest Sam the man is hereEagle's Nest Sam the man is hereEagle's Nest Sam the man is hereEagle's Nest Sam the man is here
Just sack him now and get Gary Megson or Shteve Maclaren in. We'll win the league by February.
Old 13-08-2017, 06:13 AM

We all know he will be given until Xmas and sacked then. Cannot see Board ditching him before that unless we lose maybe 8 straight games , which is possible.

De Boer OUT !
Old 13-08-2017, 06:25 AM
CPFC LOYAL

Heath eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHeath eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHeath eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHeath eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHeath eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHeath eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHeath eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHeath eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHeath eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHeath eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHeath eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMexicanHorse View Post
I actually think it comes down to the Swansea game on the 25th now.
Assuming we don't pick anything up next week against Liverpool...then that Swansea game against a fellow relegation rival takes on another dimension
Correct it will be massive
Old 13-08-2017, 06:27 AM
Pokemon Trainer

Latvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is here
People sucked in by the name.

I know it is early days of course but I voiced serious concerns over de Boer when he was appointed. Seems everyone was happy to try and put all the blame on Inter's board for his shit spell, not taking in to account he spent most of his time moaning, and trying to shoehorn players into a system that didn't suit them (sound familiar?), and refusing to change his tactics and formation (4-3-3 was what he insisted upon) no matter what.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Frank gone well before Christmas. Thus far not been impressed with his unwillingness to adapt or his choice of signings. I suspect RLC was someone the club had their eye on and wanted before we appointed him.

Last edited by Latvian Eagle; 13-08-2017 at 06:46 AM.
Old 13-08-2017, 06:32 AM

Windsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is here
I don't know why, but I am genuinely surprised by the collective white flag waving on here. I don't think I have seen such pessimism, predictions of managerial failure and suggestions of replacing him 90 minutes into a season before. Wow.

Yesterday was pretty abject. I certainly agree. However, people have ignored all the confounders and just decided tbat FdB is clueless/naive/stubborn and that attemtping to change the play is a problem. The confounders as I see them:

1) First day of the season throws up more 'odd results' than any other time. New players, new formations, no momentum or form to draw upon etc.
2) Banana skin opposition - newly promoted sides are dangerous when they first come up. The optimism is high and they haven't had the joy sucked out of them yet.
3) The failings were the same as they have been for too long at matches at Selhurst. Slow out of the blocks. Chasing the game. Letting frustration cloud instinctive play = looking clueless. Picked off at ease.

Yes, FdB and the new system / line up are a factor too but it is not like he took over a top side and made them look awful. Do people remeber Burnley at home? Sunderland? Both just as abject (IMO) and we had our much loved 'old' formation and BFS in charge. Yesterday was nothing new.

Perhaps we might criticise FdB for not righting previous ills quickly enough, but Christ, 90 minutes is just too short a time frame for a fair or proper judgement.

I hope he shows some pragmatism and urges that we need to start strongly and be solid at the back before growing in confidence into the game.

Last edited by Windsor_Eagle; 13-08-2017 at 06:42 AM.
Old 13-08-2017, 06:33 AM

Windsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is here

Last edited by Windsor_Eagle; 13-08-2017 at 06:41 AM.
Old 13-08-2017, 06:36 AM
Man about town

Marksf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMarksf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMarksf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMarksf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMarksf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMarksf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMarksf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMarksf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMarksf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMarksf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMarksf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle's Nest View Post
Just sack him now and get Gary Megson or Shteve Maclaren in. We'll win the league by February.
Do you think either would have done worse today?
Old 13-08-2017, 06:44 AM

Eagle's Nest Sam the man is hereEagle's Nest Sam the man is hereEagle's Nest Sam the man is hereEagle's Nest Sam the man is hereEagle's Nest Sam the man is hereEagle's Nest Sam the man is hereEagle's Nest Sam the man is hereEagle's Nest Sam the man is hereEagle's Nest Sam the man is hereEagle's Nest Sam the man is hereEagle's Nest Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksf View Post
Do you think either would have done worse today?
I suspect you could have had a National League manager turn up and do just as badly.
Old 13-08-2017, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latvian Eagle View Post
People sucked in by the name.

I know it is early days of course but I voiced serious concerns over de Boer when he was appointed. Seems everyone was happy to try and put all the blame on Inter's board for his shit spell, not taking in to account he spent most of his time moaning, and trying to shoehorn players into a system that didn't suit them (sound familiar?), and refusing to change his tactics and formation (4-3-3 was what he insisted upon) no matter what.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Frank gone well before Christmas. Thus far not been impressed with his unwillingness to adapt or his choice of signings. I suspect RLC was someone the club had their eye on and wanted before we appointed him.
My great fear is that his time at Inter is a more accurate indicator of his ability than his time at Ajax. Homer Simpson could manage Ajax to a league win.
Closed Thread