Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Crystal Palace Football Club Ľ Transfer Hotline

Notices

Transfer Hotline Latest transfer news, rumours and suggestions for new Palace players. Includes outgoing transfers and news on released players.

Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2018, 05:33 PM

DARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by scro View Post
I don't really get the injuries mean we have to suddenly buy loads more players. Surely that is a rather drastic solution to a short term problem. Personally i think we do need players in but surely signing a centre half on a three year deal and decent money would be fool hardy when we are well catered for in that position and just unfortunate on the injury front?

Goalkeeper, centre midfield cover, winger to compete with townsend and back up striker.
Dann is likely to be out until the Autumn, so we need a centre half. I agree with your other suggestions, but we need a quality striker not just bench option.
Old 09-01-2018, 05:38 PM

PeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by DARZET EAGLE View Post
Dann is likely to be out until the Autumn, so we need a centre half. I agree with your other suggestions, but we need a quality striker not just bench option.
And Delaney and Kelly are back up options with the former likely gone.

Tomkins, Sakho and Dann are all injury prone or at least going to be. Need one more going forward, let alone now.
Old 09-01-2018, 05:39 PM

PeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_who_ru View Post
Why do posters keep on repeating this when there is no evidence that a team has breached the wage cap in the Premier League.
Hasnt SP himself at least alluded to it? I might be wrong.
Old 09-01-2018, 05:42 PM

DARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH View Post
And Delaney and Kelly are back up options with the former likely gone.

Tomkins, Sakho and Dann are all injury prone or at least going to be. Need one more going forward, let alone now.
Old 09-01-2018, 06:54 PM
A Different Gravy

cooperman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcooperman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcooperman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcooperman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcooperman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcooperman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcooperman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcooperman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcooperman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcooperman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcooperman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Although Roy's' post match comments alluded we might need 6 or 7 new faces, thats just a smart way to use the media to extend pressure on SP not to be too pedantic in negotiations as he waits "with baited breath" - thats an experienced manager having dealt with many chairman negotiating with an iron fist in a velvet glove; realistically he knows that barring miracles our budget would probably stretch to 3 maybe 4 players at the most...

clearly the situation is quite fluid in terms of requirements as our recent run of injuries indicates but ultimately IMO it doesn't really detract from the requirements we had at the beginning of the season:

A. we need a goalkeeper of premier league top half standard
B. we need another striker, preferably somebody who offers something different to CB and can sometimes play independently or with him (hot tub time machine for Kevin Phillips)...

as i say we could have written that shopping list on the 1st of July or perhaps a season earlier...

whats changed since then is how we approach the transfer window, in as much do we go for 3-4 patch fixes in the light of recent events ? or do we look at more long term investments or a greater premium but likely to feature in the first 11 ? a great deal is dependant on whats available and in many ways the January window is the wrong time of year to be dynasty building but this is where Palace buck the trend a bit because in the main during our 5 years in the premiership we have signed some pretty influential players for us in this window, would we still be here if we hadn't signed the likes of Sakho, Luka PVA and Schlupp this time last year ?

i will stick my neck out and say that if we by some miracle are able to get in a quality striker and first choice goal keeper we would be alright this season and anybody else would then be able to be in the "Martin Kelly" price bracket, or promote from the U23's. i am a firm believer that in team sports if you have a strong spine the rest pretty much takes care of itself, with Tomkins/Sakho/Kelly/TFM in the centre of defence and Luka/Cabaye/MacArthur/Reidewald in centre midfield; perm 2 players from either of these sets of 4, add a goalscorer and a quality keeper and presto ! Yes we have a bit of an injury cluster**** going on right now but thats not the time to panic buy, hold your nerve Roy, Steve and Dougie; think quality not quantity -there are enough poor teams around us to ensure if we did this we would pick up the 5 wins and a draw we probably need out of the remaining 16 matches to ensure safety and we will be all the better for it as we plan for next season...

Tin hat on

Last edited by cooperman; 09-01-2018 at 07:06 PM.
Old 09-01-2018, 09:16 PM

dave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH View Post
Hasnt SP himself at least alluded to it? I might be wrong.
He was moaning about it prior to spending £26m on Sakho. We had also lost our first 2 games and no doubt was feeling the pressure.

Again it all came back to net spends. At the end of the day we were ranked 10th.

In the previous January window we were the biggest spenders.

Comment is free, but facts are sacred. (C.P. Scott)

Last edited by dave_who_ru; 09-01-2018 at 11:28 PM.
Old 09-01-2018, 09:50 PM

The Drive Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineThe Drive Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineThe Drive Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineThe Drive Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineThe Drive Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineThe Drive Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineThe Drive Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineThe Drive Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineThe Drive Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineThe Drive Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineThe Drive Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I just hope we act swiftly and get a couple in early doors- I donít know why Iím saying that i know it wonít happen!
Old 09-01-2018, 10:36 PM

Crunchie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCrunchie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCrunchie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCrunchie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCrunchie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCrunchie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCrunchie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCrunchie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCrunchie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCrunchie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCrunchie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitehorseN76 View Post
Re Mutch: probably because no one wants to pay a fee for him and match the wages he is on at palace
Leeds made an offer for him in the summer and we turned it down I thought.
Old 09-01-2018, 11:01 PM
The Bringer of Joy

Stellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is here
Where's the poll?
I'm going for £17.65.
Old 09-01-2018, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperman View Post
Although Roy's' post match comments alluded we might need 6 or 7 new faces, thats just a smart way to use the media to extend pressure on SP not to be too pedantic in negotiations as he waits "with baited breath" - thats an experienced manager having dealt with many chairman negotiating with an iron fist in a velvet glove; realistically he knows that barring miracles our budget would probably stretch to 3 maybe 4 players at the most...

clearly the situation is quite fluid in terms of requirements as our recent run of injuries indicates but ultimately IMO it doesn't really detract from the requirements we had at the beginning of the season:

A. we need a goalkeeper of premier league top half standard
B. we need another striker, preferably somebody who offers something different to CB and can sometimes play independently or with him (hot tub time machine for Kevin Phillips)...

as i say we could have written that shopping list on the 1st of July or perhaps a season earlier...

whats changed since then is how we approach the transfer window, in as much do we go for 3-4 patch fixes in the light of recent events ? or do we look at more long term investments or a greater premium but likely to feature in the first 11 ? a great deal is dependant on whats available and in many ways the January window is the wrong time of year to be dynasty building but this is where Palace buck the trend a bit because in the main during our 5 years in the premiership we have signed some pretty influential players for us in this window, would we still be here if we hadn't signed the likes of Sakho, Luka PVA and Schlupp this time last year ?

i will stick my neck out and say that if we by some miracle are able to get in a quality striker and first choice goal keeper we would be alright this season and anybody else would then be able to be in the "Martin Kelly" price bracket, or promote from the U23's. i am a firm believer that in team sports if you have a strong spine the rest pretty much takes care of itself, with Tomkins/Sakho/Kelly/TFM in the centre of defence and Luka/Cabaye/MacArthur/Reidewald in centre midfield; perm 2 players from either of these sets of 4, add a goalscorer and a quality keeper and presto ! Yes we have a bit of an injury cluster**** going on right now but thats not the time to panic buy, hold your nerve Roy, Steve and Dougie; think quality not quantity -there are enough poor teams around us to ensure if we did this we would pick up the 5 wins and a draw we probably need out of the remaining 16 matches to ensure safety and we will be all the better for it as we plan for next season...

Tin hat on
Tin hat off, I agree to an extent, but two strikers would be great and we definatly need a creative midfielder and centre back.
Old 09-01-2018, 11:47 PM
Time is running out

Billy Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_who_ru View Post
He was moaning about it prior to spending £26m on Sakho. We had also lost our first 2 games and no doubt was feeling the pressure.

Again it all came back to net spends. At the end of the day we were ranked 10th.

In the previous January window we were the biggest spenders.
Parish has already admitted he hasn't taken enough gambles with unknown players. The reason we spent so much last Jan and in virtually every window recently is because he seems to want experienced players all the time, who always come at a premium but guarantee nothing.

Ironically even Mutch fitted into this category as he had "proven" himself in the PL with Cardiff.

Our transfer policy has been too safe for ages now and what its resulted in is a small but expensive squad, with players earning too much money for a club of our size. The strategy desperately needs to change and soon, although it actually looks like it's being forced on us now.
Old 10-01-2018, 01:52 AM
A Different Gravy

cooperman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcooperman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcooperman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcooperman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcooperman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcooperman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcooperman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcooperman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcooperman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcooperman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcooperman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by DARZET EAGLE View Post
Tin hat off, I agree to an extent, but two strikers would be great and we definatly need a creative midfielder and centre back.
it's a fair shout Darzet, i'll concede midfield argument but i think thats a slightly long term goal and the cost of 2 strikers and a creative midfielder who can compete in this league would be £50+ million in january market and i'm not sure having been the highest spenders this time last year, we can justify that...

my thinking not to buy 2 strikers this window was they are hoping Wickham is going to become available for selection in the nearish future, so an one extra forward gives Roy a chance to pick from 3 for the remaining months of the season - it also allows them to spend on other areas of greatest priority, i posted on the transfer thread how nice it would be if by nice time next week we had secured:

GK - Guaita from Gatafe
CB/DM - Amadou from Lille
ST - Niasse from Everton

i'm pretty sure Roy would be delighted if these three came to the club, i can only go on speculated transfer values but we should get change from £30ish million for these three...

it might mean the libero would have to wait for the summer but i think if wilf maybe goes we will hopefully have the budget to replace with the sort of quality in the creative role i think you are talking about...
Old 10-01-2018, 07:10 AM

Mr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by scro View Post
I don't really get the injuries mean we have to suddenly buy loads more players. Surely that is a rather drastic solution to a short term problem. Personally i think we do need players in but surely signing a centre half on a three year deal and decent money would be fool hardy when we are well catered for in that position and just unfortunate on the injury front?

Goalkeeper, centre midfield cover, winger to compete with townsend and back up striker.
Not really. We need to stay up but we're badly exposed because of these injuries. And there are lots of players out of contract this summer so the wage bill will be reduced then anyway. At CB, Delaney will be leaving which will leave Dann, Sakho, Tomkins, Kelly and the new CB. Five isn't too many - certainly not with us as we have three very injury prone CBs in Dann, Tomkins and Sakho.
Old 12-01-2018, 03:47 AM

Ooops - just ticked over to the Friday of the second week of the transfer window.

Any of those cast iron rumours a couple of posters were being oh so clever about any closer to becoming a gazzumpable?
Old 12-01-2018, 08:56 AM

audreytatou Sam the man is hereaudreytatou Sam the man is hereaudreytatou Sam the man is hereaudreytatou Sam the man is hereaudreytatou Sam the man is hereaudreytatou Sam the man is hereaudreytatou Sam the man is hereaudreytatou Sam the man is hereaudreytatou Sam the man is hereaudreytatou Sam the man is hereaudreytatou Sam the man is here
Couldn't see CB in the pre Burnley training vid....should we be worried??
Old 12-01-2018, 09:00 AM

Mr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by audreytatou View Post
Couldn't see CB in the pre Burnley training vid....should we be worried??
He's got some sort of cast/bandage on his wrist. I'd be surprised if that kept him out. We should be worried if he is out. Even though he's been poor, at least he has a physical presence which we lack when he's not playing.

If he is out and we still haven't signed a ******* striker then the club is mad.
Old 12-01-2018, 09:12 AM

Joe.L came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJoe.L came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJoe.L came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJoe.L came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJoe.L came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJoe.L came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJoe.L came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJoe.L came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJoe.L came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJoe.L came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJoe.L came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Jonathan Pearce said on the 5 Live pre-Brighton coverage that Benteke had picked up an injury that prevented him playing Monday. As it hasn't been reported anywhere else at all thought he must have just put two and two together when we rested CB for Monday and come up with five. Maybe there was some truth? Let's hope not.
Old 12-01-2018, 09:22 AM

Palacebear : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalacebear : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalacebear : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalacebear : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalacebear : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalacebear : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalacebear : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalacebear : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalacebear : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalacebear : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalacebear : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
[QUOTE=Mr Palace;14048422]He's got some sort of cast/bandage on his wrist. I'd be surprised if that kept him out. We should be worried if he is out. Even though he's been poor, at least he has a physical presence which we lack when he's not playing.

If he is injured this is really bad news, we canít afford any more injuries to key players and although heís not scoring, heís still a key player for us.
Old 12-01-2018, 09:28 AM

BillyTKid came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBillyTKid came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBillyTKid came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBillyTKid came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBillyTKid came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBillyTKid came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBillyTKid came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBillyTKid came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBillyTKid came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBillyTKid came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBillyTKid came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
In the training pictures on the cpfc website there were none of Benteke.
Old 12-01-2018, 10:00 AM
Wondering why it matters!

Martin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is here
Triggered by one of Dave's post on another thread I thought I would take another look at the current squad state in the context of potential outgoings that might be neccessary to fund incoming.

I am assuming that constraints are less about cashflow/profit but centres instead on potential STCC issues (total wages). FYP explains for those interested. To view the link you have to Register or Login

Long term injury
Dann, Scott*
Puncheon, Jason David Ian*
Recovering from long term injury risk
Wickham, Connor Neil Ralph*

The above can't be sold due to their current fitness and Wickham we are assuming can play a part before eof season.

The following squad members are TBH players that we would only choose to use as a last resort - harsh but fair I think. All would be available for sale but
won't raise any serious money and their collective wages are a bigger issue albeit none are big earners. Not sure that there would be buyers for some/any of these and I suspect most will stay .

Delaney, Damien Finbarr
Kaikai, Sulaiman Borbor*
Ladapo, Olayinka Fredrick Oladotun*
Lee, Chung Yong
Mutch, Jordon James Edward Sydney*

This currently leaves leaving us currently with a squad of 18 players when all fit - i.e. when Hell freezes Over. One huge positive to me is that we have three U21 in our matchday squad? Shame only one of them is ours but I like it - thanks FDB

These are the remaining players that Roy is relying on.

Benteke, Christian

Zaha, Dazet Wilfried Armel*
Townsend, Andros*
Sako, Bakary

Cabaye, Yohan
Loftus Cheek, Ruben
McArthur, James
Milivojevic, Luka
Riedewald, Jairo Jocquim

Kelly, Martin Ronald*
Sakho, Mamadou
Tomkins, James Oliver Charles*

Schlupp, Jeffrey*
Souare, Pape N'Diaye
Fosu-Mensah, Evans Timothy
Van Aanholt, Patrick John Miguel*
Ward, Joel Edward Philip*

Hennessey, Wayne Robert*
Speroni, Julian Maria

As a matchday squad it's short of at least one striker. As a squad to cope with injuries it's a keeper and probably two strikers short. It's short in midfield too. Then there is quality to consider.

The only 'over provision we have is at LB. There are already rumours re Souare leaving on loan? That might have a slight impact financially but more obvious would be shifting out PVA who would command a reasonable fee and no doubt be on big wages. There should also be some level of demand. I could have added Schlupp but haven't as it seems far less likely than the other two.

Budget and STCC room. Back in September we were willing to sign Niasse at £8-10m? fee plus striker wages for a season. Also a keeper deal was being pursued and maybe £3-5m for that plus wages. So we have to assume that is still available within STCC and so wages at that level for 4 players should now be available (half a season) plus fees plus any contingency left in their plans? Maybe none?

Its something but not a lot and most of the bigger names mentioned lately would probably consume that unless they come in on loans. As I say above, I can't see the last resort list driving much income and that leaves the surplus option - PVA?

If we shift any other players to raise cash then we need to replace them too because Roy is running out of players and I suspect makes it worse, not better.

I won't go through the detail any more but my conclusions after trying to think through all of the options were:

1 - if this was a strategy game or Football Manager you would be scratching your head and looking for the restart button.

2 - STCC really does help keep the smaller clubs small and the bigger clubs big doesn't it......