Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 26-03-2018, 01:17 PM
like a shot in the dark

CP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is here
Probably the only way we have of getting as close to our 1905 colours as possible is to look at the cigarette card collections - I don’t have any myself, but you can see a couple of examples here:
To view the link you have to Register or Login

Perhaps people like Dorking or NTE have better examples, but I think that is as close as we will get, I think the argument about cardinal or claret is a bit of a red herring.
Old 26-03-2018, 02:16 PM
Celestial Empire

Celestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle View Post
What is the difference?
"Cardinal 'n blue" would be much closer to the current colours (maybe Malcolm knew something )

In the 1950s I think Corinthian Casuals were still playing at CPP, at least there was a team with blue and white shirts (no, not that lot !)
Old 26-03-2018, 02:19 PM
Celestial Empire

Celestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil the Eagle View Post
Not a chance, fella... in fact, I'm trying to offload most of my Palace memorabilia (cig cards excepted).

It was mainly used as reference and research when I used to do Palace Echo and for my now-abandoned book, I'd love to see it go to a good home.
The museum beckons.
(Assuming you aren't in a hurry )
Old 26-03-2018, 02:24 PM
Celestial Empire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle View Post
Cardinal

Claret

Cardinal looks like a faded out claret.
The St. Louis Cardinals (named after the colourful state bird of Missouri), have a vibrant red coloured kit. I thought you needed to know that.
Old 26-03-2018, 04:08 PM
Big Mal Fan

keygrippa : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekeygrippa : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekeygrippa : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekeygrippa : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekeygrippa : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekeygrippa : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekeygrippa : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekeygrippa : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekeygrippa : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekeygrippa : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekeygrippa : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Minutes of meeting of the Crystal Palace FC board of directors at which the shirt colours were decided on Wednesday 05 July 1905:

Old 26-03-2018, 04:16 PM
Big Mal Fan

keygrippa : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekeygrippa : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekeygrippa : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekeygrippa : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekeygrippa : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekeygrippa : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekeygrippa : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekeygrippa : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekeygrippa : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekeygrippa : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekeygrippa : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Two cards from the same series, Crystal Palace card compared with Aston Villa card:

Issued by Gallaher's cigarettes 'Association Football Club Colours' 1910.

Old 26-03-2018, 04:46 PM
like a shot in the dark

CP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by keygrippa View Post
Two cards from the same series, Crystal Palace card compared with Aston Villa card:

Issued by Gallaher's cigarettes 'Association Football Club Colours' 1910.

Interesting, especially the red and blue socks on the Palace kit, which are closer to colours introduced in 1973.

There definitely seems to be some slight difference in the shades of the Villa and Palace kits shown in the cigarette cards of the era - there are several match programmes of the time that clearly state Villa’s colours as claret, so perhaps not such a red herring after all?
Old 26-03-2018, 04:55 PM
Collecting Palace tat

Dorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is here
CP Satellite - I think you would really enjoy the 'Origin of Crystal Palace' book, it is absolutely crammed with 'source data' information such as has been posted above, all first hand stuff.
"Crystal Palace is cult viewing, like a late night TV show that only a few people know about, like a precious record that was never number one but makes everybody who knows it want to dance and sing… and sometimes cry." Tony, 3-7-2001

"Well, as I said before, we are only 6 points behind 4th from bottom with the prize of an additional £65 million (minimum) if we stay up. So, we'd be bonkers if that wasn't the top priority. Nobody's giving up on staying in this league." CPFC2010, 5-11-2013
Old 26-03-2018, 05:34 PM
like a shot in the dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorking .Eagle View Post
CP Satellite - I think you would really enjoy the 'Origin of Crystal Palace' book, it is absolutely crammed with 'source data' information such as has been posted above, all first hand stuff.
Got it D.E. - a great read, although there are a few areas that maybe open for interpretation, it’s debates like this that help to iron out a few issues that have puzzled some of us ‘anoraks’, having searched through various other history books, contemporary reports and ibrary archives over the years.

Having done some research myself, I was surprised that little mention was made of the attempt in 1904 to form CPFC with a steering committee chaired by WG Grace, who lived near Crystal Palace Park and had already set up the London County Cricket Club at the Palace, co-incidentally playing on the same part of CP Park as the original 1861 amatuer CPFC.

Unless I missed it in Vol II, I feel that was a key part of the story of the modern club, the point being that because the Football League required CPFC to unable to profit from staging the Cup Finals and other income from the CP grounds, CPFC were instead founded in 1905 as a distinctly different company to the Crystal Palace Company, renting the grounds as opposed to owning them.

So although it’s a very nicely laid out and obviously heavily researched book, I feel there are items open for debate - you will rarely get the definitive answer until you exhaust all the arguments
Old 26-03-2018, 05:37 PM
Big Mal Fan

Yup CP Satellite, its in Volume 1.

Steve
Old 26-03-2018, 07:01 PM
like a shot in the dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by keygrippa View Post
Yup CP Satellite, its in Volume 1.

Steve
Noted - a bit confusing though as I understood that the CPC had put forward an application to join the Football League in 1904 and this is where the knock-back from the authorities came in saying a seperate company had to be formed to rent the CP Cup Final ground.

I like your work very much, it has clearly been extensive, so I would bow to your information that Grace and Fry carried out their lobbying and campaigning for the new CPFC in late 1904 and not before the Football League had concluded it’s AGM earlier in the year.