Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 25-03-2018, 09:12 AM

SA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Palace View Post
I wouldn’t go near him due to his injury problems but he’s undoubtedly a very good player and could go on to be brilliant. However, we’ll have to use our summer budget wisely and it would be a risk spending so much of an injury prone year.
It’s things like this that show how ‘difficult’ transfers really can be. All you’ve posted there is right; if we buy him and he’s injured a lot, all the smartarses will be out saying we shouldn’t have, but if we decide against and he goes to somewhere like Everton and is brilliant those same people will be out criticising the decision to stay clear.

Maybe another season long loan, but with an option to buy, is the solution?
Old 25-03-2018, 09:15 AM

Mr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is here
I think another season long loan would be a great option SA. Unless we can get him for a more reasonable price and then it may be worth the risk. I think you can take the occasional risk on players with a poor injury record but we've got several now so need to be more careful than most I think. But RLC is undoubtedly a quality player.
Old 25-03-2018, 09:55 AM

palacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is here
It's likely as not already been debated on this thread but there are quite a few hugely talented players out there who are injury prone that you'd think "Hey, wouldn't it be great if we could pick him up on the cheap". Wilshere, Barkley and Sturridge spring to mind.

But common sense and practicality has to take over. These players aren't cheap because of their wage cost and RLC would be no exception. Not many of them make sufficient recovery in the longer term do they? We are simply not yet in the position to take this type pf gamble in my opinion.
Old 25-03-2018, 10:06 AM

LuieJack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLuieJack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLuieJack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLuieJack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLuieJack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLuieJack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLuieJack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLuieJack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLuieJack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLuieJack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLuieJack : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
I think another season long loan would be a great option SA. Unless we can get him for a more reasonable price and then it may be worth the risk. I think you can take the occasional risk on players with a poor injury record but we've got several now so need to be more careful than most I think. But RLC is undoubtedly a quality player.
It's hard to disagree with your assessments, but is he injury prone? i dont know apart from his current injury and maybe the odd niggly one, i cant recall any serious one previously, correct me if i am wrong as i genuinely dont know.
He is just the type of player we have lacked for years in the midfield and with his early impressive performances for Palace was rewarded with an England call up, but could we attract him to join permantely especially if he returns to his early season form.
Unfortunately there are not too many of his quality that WE could attract to join, to buy him would probably cost around 30m if he could be tempted in the first place, so probably our best bet is to try for another season long loan as you suggest.
The other alternative for a club like ourselves is to look abroad.
Old 25-03-2018, 11:57 AM

Mr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuieJack View Post
It's hard to disagree with your assessments, but is he injury prone? i dont know apart from his current injury and maybe the odd niggly one, i cant recall any serious one previously, correct me if i am wrong as i genuinely dont know.
He is just the type of player we have lacked for years in the midfield and with his early impressive performances for Palace was rewarded with an England call up, but could we attract him to join permantely especially if he returns to his early season form.
Unfortunately there are not too many of his quality that WE could attract to join, to buy him would probably cost around 30m if he could be tempted in the first place, so probably our best bet is to try for another season long loan as you suggest.
He does seem to be injury prone judging by how many games he has played so far in his career. I also read that he hasn't played more than three consecutive games before he joined us. It's not unusual for a young player to be beset by injuries and then go on to have a relatively injury free career - Steven Gerrard is a good example. So it's definitely too soon to write him off and he's a very good player. I guess I'm being more cautious because of how many players we seem to have on our books who regularly get injured.
Old 25-03-2018, 01:10 PM

Crunchie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCrunchie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCrunchie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCrunchie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCrunchie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCrunchie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCrunchie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCrunchie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCrunchie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCrunchie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCrunchie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
He does seem to be injury prone judging by how many games he has played so far in his career. I also read that he hasn't played more than three consecutive games before he joined us.
To be fair, that's because he is at Chelsea. Poor injury record or not.

I have no idea if his injury record before us was bad, but let's face it. Luka and Townsend aside, who hasn't?
Old 25-03-2018, 02:03 PM
Celestial Empire

Celestial Empire came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCelestial Empire came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCelestial Empire came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCelestial Empire came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCelestial Empire came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCelestial Empire came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCelestial Empire came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCelestial Empire came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCelestial Empire came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCelestial Empire came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCelestial Empire came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuieJack View Post
I think you've hit the nail on the head - British players are mostly just far too expensive to take that kind of risk. IMHO, we bought Kelly for a song because he was always injured and Liverpool eventually gave up on him. He has slowly got over his injury problems and made up his lost development time - it's nice to see through perseverance he has turned into a decent CB, probably with scope for further improvement. On the other hand, I would love to see Wickham follow the same path, but he just looks too fragile and seems to take an age to recover - is his heart really in it ? Then we have Souare, basically written off, now (apparently) steadily working himself slowly back into contention - we know this guy has guts and determination.
Old 25-03-2018, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchie View Post

I have no idea if his injury record before us was bad, but let's face it. Luka and Townsend aside, who hasn't?
That's the worry for me. If we had a bunch of players who didn't get injured much then RLC would be a risk well worth taking. But this season has shown the dangers in buying players who have, at best, chequered injury histories. He is undoubtedly a very very good player though.
Old 25-03-2018, 03:56 PM
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchie View Post

Who hasn’t got a bad injury record?
MacArthur really had one that took a long time. Zaha and Puncheon have missed very few games over many years, same as Ward and Delaney.
Old 25-03-2018, 05:53 PM

Kai came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKai came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKai came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKai came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKai came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKai came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKai came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKai came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKai came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKai came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKai came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
If the price is right and he wants to join permanently it's a no brainer really. The potential is huge but he and the manager needs to figure out what his best position really is.
Old 25-03-2018, 06:10 PM

jamieb73 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjamieb73 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjamieb73 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjamieb73 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjamieb73 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjamieb73 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjamieb73 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjamieb73 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjamieb73 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjamieb73 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjamieb73 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
His injury record aint great, we simply cant afford to keep buying sicknotes and expect to keep avoiding relegation each year. I say look elsewhere. His position aint on the right wing and his defensive attributes are poor.
Old 25-03-2018, 07:08 PM

SussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
We need to avoid overpaying for players that don't play too many matches. A bit of an unknown at the moment but has potential.

Probably be a big fee required and too much of a risk v reward.

A good lad though and hopefully a good end to the season will get him into the World Cup squad.
Old 26-03-2018, 10:03 AM
This was a triumph.....

red&blue_moomin Sam the man is herered&blue_moomin Sam the man is herered&blue_moomin Sam the man is herered&blue_moomin Sam the man is herered&blue_moomin Sam the man is herered&blue_moomin Sam the man is herered&blue_moomin Sam the man is herered&blue_moomin Sam the man is herered&blue_moomin Sam the man is herered&blue_moomin Sam the man is herered&blue_moomin Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodger View Post
You make the point for not signing him very well as soon as you mention JW. RLC needs a full season of football or we risk wasting a big part of our transfer budget.
JW is three odd years older. RLC has never had a full season playing because this is the first time he's been loaned out. He's managed 17 odd appearances for us which for a first season is not actually that bad and again already nearly 3 times what JW achieved for us.
Old 26-03-2018, 10:10 AM
This was a triumph.....

red&blue_moomin Sam the man is herered&blue_moomin Sam the man is herered&blue_moomin Sam the man is herered&blue_moomin Sam the man is herered&blue_moomin Sam the man is herered&blue_moomin Sam the man is herered&blue_moomin Sam the man is herered&blue_moomin Sam the man is herered&blue_moomin Sam the man is herered&blue_moomin Sam the man is herered&blue_moomin Sam the man is here
Quote:
That's the worry for me. If we had a bunch of players who didn't get injured much then RLC would be a risk well worth taking. But this season has shown the dangers in buying players who have, at best, chequered injury histories. He is undoubtedly a very very good player though.
But nearly all the injuries this season have been caused by impact injuries in matches ie that's life. Given that we've had barely any of the sort that we have been plagued by in the previous two seasons. I'm not sure it's that simple.
Old 26-03-2018, 10:42 AM
All views stated are IMHO

glaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai View Post
If the price is right and he wants to join permanently it's a no brainer really. The potential is huge but he and the manager needs to figure out what his best position really is.
The manager knows his best position is centre mid. The issue is we were playing 4-4-2 and Cabaye/Milivojevic are both better defensively, and RH likes a solid defence.

However, he is so right footed I wouldn't want to play him left wing anymore. On top of that, whilst he links brilliantly with Zaha the balance of the team is affected when they both play on the left imho. And since he was last starting for us, PVA has made the left back slot his own which has ramifications for who starts in front of him - someone more defensively solid is now essential, again imho.

If we start playing 4-5-1/4-3-3 more regularly (ie 3 centre mids) then the left-sided centre mid is going to have to be mainly defensive to cover Zaha and PVA's forward forays. Milivojevic will play in the middle. And that leaves the right-sided centre mid slot. Cabaye is more experienced so he should start the next 7 crucial games, but when he tires after 65 mins RLC should come on to play in that position. It looks like Cabaye won't be here next season, and I see RLC as the perfect replacement. He might make mistakes, but over 38 games and with a better start he should be more than capable of helping us to a mid-table finish in 2018/2019 were that to materialise.
Old 26-03-2018, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red&blue_moomin View Post
But nearly all the injuries this season have been caused by impact injuries in matches ie that's life. Given that we've had barely any of the sort that we have been plagued by in the previous two seasons. I'm not sure it's that simple.
Not sure that's entirely true. We've had loads of injuries in training this season as we did last season - Cabaye, Ward, RLC, Speroni, to name just four.We've also been unlucky with impact injuries this season - e.g. Dann, Sakho, Puncheon, Schlupp, Sako.

So while we've been very unlucky with impact injuries, we've had generally had a lot of injuries these past two or three seasons. I don't think it's a coincidence. It was guaranteed that players like Sakho, Tomkins, Wickham and RLC would get injured. We need to make sure our summer recruits have decent injury records - not that you can ever remove the risk entirely.
Old 28-03-2018, 04:04 PM
Asbo

Pubface : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePubface : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePubface : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePubface : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePubface : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePubface : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePubface : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePubface : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePubface : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePubface : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePubface : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Money on him joining permanently in the summer!
Old 28-03-2018, 04:06 PM
Pure Codology

SE5eagle Sam the man is hereSE5eagle Sam the man is hereSE5eagle Sam the man is hereSE5eagle Sam the man is hereSE5eagle Sam the man is hereSE5eagle Sam the man is hereSE5eagle Sam the man is hereSE5eagle Sam the man is hereSE5eagle Sam the man is hereSE5eagle Sam the man is hereSE5eagle Sam the man is here
Cos he's a crock?

Sir Clinton Morrison
Old 28-03-2018, 04:15 PM
Asbo

Pubface : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePubface : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePubface : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePubface : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePubface : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePubface : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePubface : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePubface : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePubface : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePubface : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePubface : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Rumour heard it's close. Player loving red n blue etc
Old 28-03-2018, 04:26 PM
Crow Counting

FourtyTwo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFourtyTwo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFourtyTwo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFourtyTwo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFourtyTwo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFourtyTwo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFourtyTwo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFourtyTwo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFourtyTwo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFourtyTwo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFourtyTwo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Is your source PHIL BARBER by any chance? Is it a double deal with Wilshere, and Pellegrino taking over from Roy?