Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 29-07-2018, 04:17 AM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Rear View Cameras (Autos)

Anybody have a vehicle with them?

After driving for 40+ years and looking every which way when reversing, I'm having trouble with these new fangled reversing cameras in a new vehicle.

What are you supposed to do... focus on the screen and not look behind you or in your mirrors?

It is taking a huge leap of faith on my part.

I need a second opinion - so am asking the BBS where I am sure to get one (or 2 or 3 etc., etc...)
Old 29-07-2018, 04:51 AM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Well the car we’ve hired while here in California has a rear view cam. Got to say, I love it. You get used to it very quickly and then wonder how you ever coped without it.

I do tend to still glance at my wing mirrors, probably out of habit really; but once you get used to the image on the screen - and trusting it - I’m sure you’ll like it. Parking is great cos the fear of hitting the car behind you is gone as you can judge exactly how far you are from it.

What I find quite amazing with my one, is when reversing out of a car park space it gives you an almost panoramic view so you can see oncoming cars from both directions.

Give it time mate, I think you’ll grow to like it once you get used to it.

“Supporting Palace has a certain cult value – like pretending that some Peruvian rock band is the best in the world.”
- John Peel
Old 29-07-2018, 05:26 AM
Ex Waddon bloke

Les Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is here
When I was over in the UK last year i hired a car with the rear camera loved it for parking.

But must admit feeling embarrassed after the 2nd day I told my daughter, some pratt keeps pushing my bloody wing mirrors in.....
Old 29-07-2018, 05:34 AM

Ian J sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkIan J sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkIan J sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkIan J sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkIan J sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkIan J sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkIan J sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkIan J sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkIan J sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkIan J sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkIan J sings up the sun in a dawn so very dark
I've had a reversing camera on my car for three years and it does take some getting used to after donkeys years of swivelling your head round.

Mine is used mainly in Sainsbury car park and I tend to check physically first of all then use the reversing camera
Old 29-07-2018, 05:36 AM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11 View Post
Well the car we’ve hired while here in California has a rear view cam. Got to say, I love it. You get used to it very quickly and then wonder how you ever coped without it.

I do tend to still glance at my wing mirrors, probably out of habit really; but once you get used to the image on the screen - and trusting it - I’m sure you’ll like it. Parking is great cos the fear of hitting the car behind you is gone as you can judge exactly how far you are from it.

What I find quite amazing with my one, is when reversing out of a car park space it gives you an almost panoramic view so you can see oncoming cars from both directions.

Give it time mate, I think you’ll grow to like it once you get used to it.
Yep... It is a leap of faith. I'll have to get my wife to walk behind me when reversing to see what happens!

What make car is it you have Bubbs?

And Les... mine does not have the auto wing mirror fold up thingy, but have to say I would have liked that feature.

Anyone remember when cars used to be about engines?
Old 29-07-2018, 05:43 AM
The Spiky One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian J View Post
I've had a reversing camera on my car for three years and it does take some getting used to after donkeys years of swivelling your head round.

Mine is used mainly in Sainsbury car park and I tend to check physically first of all then use the reversing camera
I pulled out of a head in parking space this evening, and just looked at the screen. scary!

About a year back in my old Jeep (no camera) I pulled out and reversed into a woman also backing out of a space. She said she watched me on her screen back into her. It was if the fact she saw me absolved her of all responsibility to take evasive action... I know it was my fault, but it still irked me.
Old 29-07-2018, 05:45 AM
The Spiky One

Quote:
Well the car we’ve hired while here in California...
Hope the fires up in Redding are not too close to you Bubbs (60 miles away?)... last thing you need.
Old 29-07-2018, 05:55 AM
Happy Felix Day!

Adlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is here
Don’t get too used to them. My car has 360 degree cameras and sensors. My wife’s only has rear sensors and no camera. I was driving her car a year ago or so and ripped the front wing off when reversing out of a parking pace because it didn't beep (as my car would have) when I was swinging around to tell me there was a massive concrete bollard next to the front wing.
The Defector looks like no other breaking pitch in the game. It is well-supinated, leaving the right hand of Fernandez at a fastball trajectory before the laws of physics cease to apply and the laws of awesome take over.
Old 29-07-2018, 06:56 AM
Slippery as a politician

Skintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
Anybody have a vehicle with them?

……………..)
Pretty sure you'll have to get used to them as they are becoming law in the US. 'Elf and safety etc.

You have to use them and look round as well, the bonus is you don't reverse into low objects which is particularly useful in SUV type cars.

Having become used to it in my last 2 SUV's I fitted one to my sports car as it has a screen and it seems ridiculous not to have one as my habit is to look at the screen first. I suppose you could argue you don't really need it on that type of car.
Old 29-07-2018, 07:00 AM

Panther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
They’re very good, especially for judging distance when reverse parking. You do need to check in mirrors or by loking round, so not a complete answer on their own. Wouldn’t be without one now, though.
Old 29-07-2018, 08:13 AM
Nuclear Member

Selhurst300 Sam the man is hereSelhurst300 Sam the man is hereSelhurst300 Sam the man is hereSelhurst300 Sam the man is hereSelhurst300 Sam the man is hereSelhurst300 Sam the man is hereSelhurst300 Sam the man is hereSelhurst300 Sam the man is hereSelhurst300 Sam the man is hereSelhurst300 Sam the man is hereSelhurst300 Sam the man is here
On my second car with rear view cameras. Brilliant help when reversing. See them as providing additional information for you when reversing.
Old 29-07-2018, 08:44 AM
Streams, Speedos & beer.

Maidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is here
Don't use them, my eyes and neck have been good enough for the last 40 years.

Join the "Maidstoned for mod!" campaign
Old 29-07-2018, 10:55 AM

KYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle View Post
Don't use them, my eyes and neck have been good enough for the last 40 years.
Me to I have an I Load I can park better without cameras than I can when I am in my wife's X Trail that has them . Find them confusing prefer using my eyes and moving my neck.
Old 29-07-2018, 01:31 PM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
Hope the fires up in Redding are not too close to you Bubbs (60 miles away?)... last thing you need.
I think we’re okay. I hope anyway! Looked on map and fires seem like they’re still quite a way from us to start worrying. Checking the news continuously though.

We’ve rented a Cherokee Jeep btw.

“Supporting Palace has a certain cult value – like pretending that some Peruvian rock band is the best in the world.”
- John Peel
Old 29-07-2018, 04:03 PM
The Spiky One

Quote:
I think we’re okay. I hope anyway! Looked on map and fires seem like they’re still quite a way from us to start worrying. Checking the news continuously though.

We’ve rented a Cherokee Jeep btw.
Great. I wasn't sure where UC Davis is. I kinda thought it was out Redding way.

The Jeep Cherokee was on my short list as I've had the Grand Cherokee for 16 years. Needless to say it didn't have the reversing camera and you still had to put a key in the ignition!
Old 29-07-2018, 04:43 PM

old git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is here
Just bought a car with it. No idea what all the green and red lines mean when reversing so do it the old way. Good for judging the gap when reversing in to a parking space though.

Twinned with MK Dons
Old 29-07-2018, 05:24 PM
The Spiky One

Basically:

Objects in the red zone are closest to your vehicle and objects in the green zone are farther away. Objects are getting closer to your vehicle as they move from the green
zone to the yellow or red zones.

How close is close, I haven't figures out yet... I just know there is a lot of "dinging" as it goes into the yellow zone.
Old 29-07-2018, 08:55 PM
rusty body, strong engine

stamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is here
New fangled? We’ve had them on our cars since 2007! Still not quite used to them though - often waiting for the bleeper and then have to remember to look forward to see where we are going backwards. A bit like the gear stick thingy - push it forward to go back.
Old 30-07-2018, 10:09 AM

Lords Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLords Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLords Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLords Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLords Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLords Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLords Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLords Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLords Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLords Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLords Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I have problems with mu neck whereby it's a struggle to turn my head so my rear view camera is a Godsend.
Old 30-07-2018, 10:19 AM
Got my eagle eye on you.

smileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is here
Yeah had one for 8 years now. Its excellent and makes parking so much easier. Only downside is when the sun shines on the screen it makes it hard to see sometimes - and I'm not used to using the mirror anymore!