Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Crystal Palace Football Club General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 13-09-2018, 03:35 PM
Crow Counting

FourtyTwo Sam the man is hereFourtyTwo Sam the man is hereFourtyTwo Sam the man is hereFourtyTwo Sam the man is hereFourtyTwo Sam the man is hereFourtyTwo Sam the man is hereFourtyTwo Sam the man is hereFourtyTwo Sam the man is hereFourtyTwo Sam the man is hereFourtyTwo Sam the man is hereFourtyTwo Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Direwolf View Post
As Benteke is definitely out and given that Wilf and Tomkins may be fit to start I would like to see:

-------------Hennessy--------
AWB----Tomkins----Sakho----PVA
Jimmy Mac ---- Luka ------ Meyer
Andros ------ Ayew ------ Wilf
I'm just not convinced that Meyer and Jimmy would work in a three man midfield, especially in a physical match like I am expecting on Saturday. I'd bring Kouyate in for one of them - and whilst it feels a bit harsh based on the season so far, I think it'd be for Jimmy.

For me, that's about the only part of the starting line up I expect is being considered - the defence and front three pick themselves for this one IMO.
Old 13-09-2018, 04:38 PM

TWELLSEagle Sam the man is hereTWELLSEagle Sam the man is hereTWELLSEagle Sam the man is hereTWELLSEagle Sam the man is hereTWELLSEagle Sam the man is hereTWELLSEagle Sam the man is hereTWELLSEagle Sam the man is hereTWELLSEagle Sam the man is hereTWELLSEagle Sam the man is hereTWELLSEagle Sam the man is hereTWELLSEagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glɑzier View Post
I don't know why people keep suggesting we play Meyer as an attacking mid. He started out there but that isn't his position now, once he was moved to a deep lying playmaker role at Schalke, he was far more effective. He should therefore be played more or less where Cabaye was, paired with Luka.

We don't have a natural attacking mid in the squad as far as I can tell, which may be partly why we persist with a more 4-4-2 like shape.

And surely if Benteke is fit, he starts. I think we will be defending so his hold up play will be much more useful than it tends to be when playing at home, especially against a team like Huddersfield.
Because he has the ability to play there, we are lacking creativity in midfield and kouyate is less versatile. Unless you wouldn稚 start the latter, which I think is daft. If all tgree play then surely Meyer either plays ACM or on the left?
Old 13-09-2018, 04:47 PM
it's a city you know...

st albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buglebob View Post
--------------Wayne-------------
-----Kelly----Tomkins----Sakho
---------Luca-----Kouyate------
AWB---------Meyer---------PVA
------Andros-------Wilf---------
Zero chance of three at the back
Old 13-09-2018, 05:23 PM

mylona : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemylona : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemylona : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemylona : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemylona : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemylona : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemylona : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemylona : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemylona : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemylona : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemylona : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by st albans View Post
Zero chance of three at the back
Exactly. Roy is playing a narrow back four, our wide mid field players pickup the attacking wide players. The plan is to make it difficult to find space in the box. I guess Roy and Ray feel we can cope with the odd cross.

It really is plain stupid to suggest changing to 3 at the back and expecting the team to cope with such a radical tactical change now.
Old 13-09-2018, 07:08 PM

afmluing : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineafmluing : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineafmluing : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineafmluing : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineafmluing : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineafmluing : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineafmluing : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineafmluing : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineafmluing : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineafmluing : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineafmluing : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
[/QUOTE]
Hennessey
AWB - Tomkins - Sakho - PVA
Luka - Kouyate
Meyer- McArthur
Zaha - Townsend

Gonna be an ugly game, need grit in midfield. I think this would be a great starting eleven, hope they are all fit and ready.be a great starting eleven, hope they are all fit and ready.[/QUOTE]

Agree. It will be important to try not to concede the central midfield. RH has been playing a very narrow formation, allowing the opposing wing backs space and relying on our defence to deal with inevitable crosses. I don't see that changing, but it does mean that Huddersfield may leave gaps at the back for us to exploit on the break.

Without an aerial presence up front - arguably less effective, anyway, against a physical Huddersfield central defence - we should be aiming to keep the ball down and play through them, using the front four as a mobile unit when in possession, and over them on the break to Zaha and Townsend if their wing backs are stranded.

Meyer looks to be able to pick a pass. McArthur has a knack of arriving in the box at the right time and Kouyate seems capable of the odd marauding foray from the back to ring the changes. If Zaha can't last 90 minutes, or isn't risked, Ayew would be a more mobile replacement and preferable to Sorloth who seems at the moment to lack aggression and a finishing instinct (although his movement and runs are IMO promising).

Hopefully will be a typical Palace away performance, soaking up the pressure and hitting them on the break for a one-nil smash and grab.
Old 13-09-2018, 07:14 PM

TWELLSEagle Sam the man is hereTWELLSEagle Sam the man is hereTWELLSEagle Sam the man is hereTWELLSEagle Sam the man is hereTWELLSEagle Sam the man is hereTWELLSEagle Sam the man is hereTWELLSEagle Sam the man is hereTWELLSEagle Sam the man is hereTWELLSEagle Sam the man is hereTWELLSEagle Sam the man is hereTWELLSEagle Sam the man is here
If we need resort to smash and grab against this really poor Huddersfield team then we are in a whole heap of shit.. just looking at our squad we really should be aiming high than that
Old 13-09-2018, 07:20 PM
Fort Neef massiv

Glɑzier : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGlɑzier : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGlɑzier : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGlɑzier : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGlɑzier : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGlɑzier : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGlɑzier : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGlɑzier : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGlɑzier : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGlɑzier : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGlɑzier : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWELLSEagle View Post
Because he has the ability to play there, we are lacking creativity in midfield and kouyate is less versatile. Unless you wouldn稚 start the latter, which I think is daft. If all tgree play then surely Meyer either plays ACM or on the left?
Meyer may indeed have the ability to play there, but he didn't show it in his latter time at Schalke, hence the move to deep. I'd love to be proved wrong, personally I'd drop Luka and put Kouyate in the pivote with Meyer as the partnering mid but slightly further forward ala Cabaye.
But however you look at it there is nothing to suggest Meyer would be an effective AM these days - how I'd love to be proved wrong.
Old 13-09-2018, 07:21 PM

afmluing : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineafmluing : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineafmluing : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineafmluing : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineafmluing : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineafmluing : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineafmluing : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineafmluing : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineafmluing : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineafmluing : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineafmluing : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
If we need resort to smash and grab against this really poor Huddersfield team then we are in a whole heap of shit.. just looking at our squad we really should be aiming high than that
It would be nice to think we could play them off the park. But I don't think they will play nice given their thuggish performances last season.
Old 13-09-2018, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glɑzier View Post
Meyer may indeed have the ability to play there, but he didn't show it in his latter time at Schalke, hence the move to deep. I'd love to be proved wrong, personally I'd drop Luka and put Kouyate in the pivote with Meyer as the partnering mid but slightly further forward ala Cabaye.
But however you look at it there is nothing to suggest Meyer would be an effective AM these days - how I'd love to be proved wrong.
Apart from his cameos in a palace shirt so far, when he looked just like an ACM, threading killer passes and with a deft touch. I tend to agree that the Cabaye role would be his best but it痴 hard to think how it would work. I wouldn稚 drop the captain, I think he will pick his game up once he has more support in midfield. Luka badly misses Cabaye.
Old 14-09-2018, 07:36 AM

switchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is here
Hennessey
Wan-Bissaka Tomkins Sakho PVA
McArthur Luka Kouyate Meyer
Townsend - Zaha

Ayew for Zaha if he isn't fit and Kelly for Tomkins if he isn't fit. Hoping Jonny W makes the bench.
"Every time a new player comes to the club I always try to make them understand what it means to play for Crystal Palace. It's a place unlike other clubs, the fans they're just incredible and I want them to understand that. It's part of my job as a senior player to make sure they know what it is and the passion behind it." - Speroni
Old 14-09-2018, 08:19 AM

jmemour came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjmemour came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjmemour came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjmemour came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjmemour came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjmemour came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjmemour came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjmemour came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjmemour came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjmemour came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjmemour came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by switchboard View Post
Hennessey
Townsend - Zaha

Ayew for Zaha if he isn't fit and Kelly for Tomkins if he isn't fit. Hoping Jonny W makes the bench.
Old 14-09-2018, 10:28 AM
Oh No!

AJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is here
i dont think we can afford to play without Koyoute against Hudds as our midfield will be physically out muscled otherwise.
Old 14-09-2018, 10:48 AM
Wash n' gone

Thin on Top : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineThin on Top : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineThin on Top : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineThin on Top : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineThin on Top : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineThin on Top : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineThin on Top : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineThin on Top : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineThin on Top : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineThin on Top : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineThin on Top : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by switchboard View Post
Hennessey
Townsend - Zaha

All day long
Old 14-09-2018, 10:52 AM
Block U

Happy Arthur came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHappy Arthur came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHappy Arthur came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHappy Arthur came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHappy Arthur came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHappy Arthur came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHappy Arthur came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHappy Arthur came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHappy Arthur came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHappy Arthur came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHappy Arthur came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Only seems like yesterday we had a must win at Huddersfield and here we are again..
Old 14-09-2018, 12:51 PM
Significant Udder

Direwolf : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDirewolf : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDirewolf : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDirewolf : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDirewolf : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDirewolf : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDirewolf : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDirewolf : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDirewolf : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDirewolf : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDirewolf : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Yes - I壇 like to think we could take the game to them rather than sit back as if we were playing Man City. Having said that I imagine that Roy will set out to contain them and hit them on the break but without completely parking the bus. They are hardly free scoring atm so we should be able to get forward with some intent of our own.
Old 14-09-2018, 01:19 PM
All views stated are IMHO

glaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is here
Unlike Townsend, at least Ayew has a fair goalscoring record in the Premier League. Pecking order for Wilf's partner (with Benteke injured):

1. Ayew
2. Sorloth
3. Townsend
Old 14-09-2018, 02:07 PM

Palacebear : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalacebear : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalacebear : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalacebear : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalacebear : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalacebear : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalacebear : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalacebear : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalacebear : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalacebear : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalacebear : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
We need to win the midfield, so I would like to see Kouyate start, but I think Roy will stick with Luka & Jimmy and replace schlupp with Meyer.

If we go with wilf & AT upfront that could give us a strong midfield of jimmy, Luka, kouyate & Meyer, but it would be a kick in the teeth to Ayew & Sorloth.

I just hope Wilf & Tomkins are fit enough to start!
Old 14-09-2018, 02:43 PM

bigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigend1 View Post
Having the movement and presence of a striker shouldn稚 be underestimated. We saw that last season when benteke was missing. At time it clicked and we looked great but many seem to have forgotten that for large parts, probably more of the time without a natural striker we failed in the final third. Crossing into empty areas or trying to pick out players surrounded by defenders because no one was making the instinctive striker runs. This isn稚 about benteke before anyone starts on benteke being a statue etc.. if benteke is injured ayew is a more natural replacement albeit a different style. He has the movement and finishing

覧覧覧覧覧覧-Wayne覧覧覧覧覧覧
AWB覧覧裕omkins覧-祐akho覧覧覧猶va
Townsend覧覧Luka覧覧-kouyate覧-覧-Meyer
覧覧覧覧-ayew覧覧-zaha覧覧覧覧

Subs:Guaita, ward, kelly, Jimmy, schlupp, sorloth, ridewald

Seems harsh on Jimmy and probably is as he痴 been one of our consistently best players this season so far but he痴 so versatile. Ayew was absolutely spent after an hour last game, kouyate and Meyer coming in for starts also might not make 90. Jimmy can cover any of them or facilitate a reshuffle and his energy coming off the bench can provide the runner we need when we have too many players with heavy legs to sub them all and I think that will be an issue in this game.

Jimmy is utterly fantastic at always moving, he痴 always giving every other player an option for a pass and in the later stages of the game that will be massive. Crucial defensively to prevent the gaps we致e seen in midfield but also he痴 great at popping into the gaps between midfield and defence of the opposing team and exploiting the space on the edge of their area. Oddly I think Jimmy on the bench could be a massive player for the game if that makes any sense

Edit: it痴 not 442 really before the obsessives jump on that. It痴 the fluid system of last year. Kouyate playing the Cabaye role, Meyer the RLC role coming inside often with Pva overlapping for width etc.
Humble as ever I'm going to quote myself and agree

Post press conference I would go with this. I leave the waffle in as I think it's important in respect to Jimmy being on the bench and why his coming on will be as important as any of the starters role in the game
Old 14-09-2018, 05:41 PM

cpfcfan1 Sam the man is herecpfcfan1 Sam the man is herecpfcfan1 Sam the man is herecpfcfan1 Sam the man is herecpfcfan1 Sam the man is herecpfcfan1 Sam the man is herecpfcfan1 Sam the man is herecpfcfan1 Sam the man is herecpfcfan1 Sam the man is herecpfcfan1 Sam the man is herecpfcfan1 Sam the man is here
Wilf on the coach to Huddersfield yay
Old 14-09-2018, 05:59 PM
18 years for 3,670 posts

ee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigend1 View Post
Having the movement and presence of a striker shouldn’t be underestimated. We saw that last season when benteke was missing. At time it clicked and we looked great but many seem to have forgotten that for large parts, probably more of the time without a natural striker we failed in the final third. Crossing into empty areas or trying to pick out players surrounded by defenders because no one was making the instinctive striker runs. This isn’t about benteke before anyone starts on benteke being a statue etc.. if benteke is injured ayew is a more natural replacement albeit a different style. He has the movement and finishing

————————————-Wayne————————————
AWB—————Tomkins———-—Sakho———————Pva
Townsend————Luka————-kouyate——-——-Meyer
————————-ayew————-zaha—————————

Subs:Guaita, ward, kelly, Jimmy, schlupp, sorloth, ridewald

Seems harsh on Jimmy and probably is as he’s been one of our consistently best players this season so far but he’s so versatile. Ayew was absolutely spent after an hour last game, kouyate and Meyer coming in for starts also might not make 90. Jimmy can cover any of them or facilitate a reshuffle and his energy coming off the bench can provide the runner we need when we have too many players with heavy legs to sub them all and I think that will be an issue in this game.

Jimmy is utterly fantastic at always moving, he’s always giving every other player an option for a pass and in the later stages of the game that will be massive. Crucial defensively to prevent the gaps we’ve seen in midfield but also he’s great at popping into the gaps between midfield and defence of the opposing team and exploiting the space on the edge of their area. Oddly I think Jimmy on the bench could be a massive player for the game if that makes any sense

Edit: it’s not 442 really before the obsessives jump on that. It’s the fluid system of last year. Kouyate playing the Cabaye role, Meyer the RLC role coming inside often with Pva overlapping for width etc.
Agreed, I think !
So many permutations (a good thing) and good points have been made about other selections...but this is what I'd go with.