Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Other Sport World of Sport

Notices

World of Sport Discuss all other sport. Includes betting and gambling threads.

Old 13-03-2002, 04:46 PM

Scotty is walloping Brighton 5-0Scotty is walloping Brighton 5-0Scotty is walloping Brighton 5-0Scotty is walloping Brighton 5-0Scotty is walloping Brighton 5-0Scotty is walloping Brighton 5-0Scotty is walloping Brighton 5-0Scotty is walloping Brighton 5-0Scotty is walloping Brighton 5-0Scotty is walloping Brighton 5-0Scotty is walloping Brighton 5-0
Thanks, the pitchers are going fast
Old 13-03-2002, 04:48 PM

Daddy Long : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDaddy Long : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDaddy Long : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDaddy Long : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDaddy Long : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDaddy Long : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDaddy Long : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDaddy Long : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDaddy Long : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDaddy Long : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDaddy Long : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Yup. I'm starting to sweat a bit now....hoping that I can get a few decent batters to make up for the fact that I haven't got a pitcher yet.

Has anyone seen Feather online today?
Old 13-03-2002, 06:19 PM

Scotty is walloping Brighton 5-0Scotty is walloping Brighton 5-0Scotty is walloping Brighton 5-0Scotty is walloping Brighton 5-0Scotty is walloping Brighton 5-0Scotty is walloping Brighton 5-0Scotty is walloping Brighton 5-0Scotty is walloping Brighton 5-0Scotty is walloping Brighton 5-0Scotty is walloping Brighton 5-0Scotty is walloping Brighton 5-0
I think the key with the pitchers (unless you get a Martinez or Johnson) is to find someone who is going to have a good year, in my case I think thats going to take some luck.

Taking a look at what Ballpark they play in may help.
Old 13-03-2002, 06:22 PM

Daddy Long : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDaddy Long : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDaddy Long : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDaddy Long : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDaddy Long : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDaddy Long : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDaddy Long : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDaddy Long : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDaddy Long : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDaddy Long : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDaddy Long : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I think I've found a few pitchers who can do a job for me and who are not immediately desirable but its a risky business.
Old 13-03-2002, 06:31 PM
Hair by Les Porter

Strathclyde Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStrathclyde Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStrathclyde Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStrathclyde Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStrathclyde Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStrathclyde Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStrathclyde Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStrathclyde Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStrathclyde Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStrathclyde Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStrathclyde Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally posted by Scotty
Taking a look at what Ballpark they play in may help.
Basic translation:

Don't take pitchers who play for Colorado or Houston!
Old 13-03-2002, 06:32 PM

would that be Enron Field??!!
Old 13-03-2002, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Strathclyde Eagle

Don't take pitchers who play for Colorado or Houston!
Why? Is the air thicker there or something?
Old 13-03-2002, 06:47 PM

The Pitch is a tad smaller
Old 13-03-2002, 06:47 PM
Self Portrait

g23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhino
Quote:
Originally posted by Daddy Long
Why? Is the air thicker there or something?
Couldn't work out if you were joking, but for the benefit of others, Coors Field in Denver (Colorado's home) is at mile-high altitude, so hit balls go further. Enron Field, home of Houston has size disadvantages to pitchers. And a silly train. And a new name, as soon as they find a sponsor.
Old 13-03-2002, 06:50 PM

And to think I ws going to pick Wagner
Old 13-03-2002, 07:03 PM
Hair by Les Porter

Strathclyde Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStrathclyde Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStrathclyde Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStrathclyde Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStrathclyde Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStrathclyde Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStrathclyde Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStrathclyde Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStrathclyde Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStrathclyde Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStrathclyde Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Wagner's not a bad pick because he gets a lot of strikeouts and therefore the dimensions of Enron Field doesn't come into play as much.

The legend with Enron Field is that the first time Houston pitchers took batting practice there one of them took a swing, broke his bat, and then looked in horror as the ball landed in the left-field seats. Don't know if it is true, but it sounds good.

Apparently at Coors Field the altitude means that the ball flies 10% further. That means a lot of regular catches become Home Runs. The fences are slightly further out to compensate, but outfielders need to cover more ground and therefore more hits drop in front of them. Either way it is a no-win situation for the pitchers. (I tried to find the article to back this up, but couldn't find it)
Old 13-03-2002, 07:16 PM

Any other little quirks like this that I should know about?

I don't think Feather is in work today.
Old 13-03-2002, 07:32 PM

I think there are some parks which are more pitcher friendly. Seattles Safeco field is huge and I think San Franciscos Park is supposed to favour the pitcher despite Bonds being able to hit a fair few balls into the bay.
Old 13-03-2002, 07:47 PM
swinging and missing

Car54 put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recallCar54 put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recallCar54 put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recallCar54 put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recallCar54 put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recallCar54 put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recallCar54 put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recallCar54 put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recallCar54 put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recallCar54 put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recallCar54 put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recall
Detriot's Comerica Park is a pitcher's park (hence Juan Gonzalez' brief career with the Tigers), but they haven't got hold of the pitchers yet (see last few year's records for details)
Old 13-03-2002, 08:11 PM

Feather : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFeather : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFeather : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFeather : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFeather : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFeather : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFeather : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFeather : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFeather : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFeather : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFeather : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Sorry people (again). I am writing this from an Internet cafe on Edgeware Road.

I have picked Kevin Brown of the Dodgers. It should appear on Yahoo soon. No-one has picked him already have they?
Old 13-03-2002, 08:13 PM
Hair by Les Porter

Quote:
Originally posted by Scotty
I think there are some parks which are more pitcher friendly. Seattles Safeco field is huge and I think San Franciscos Park is supposed to favour the pitcher despite Bonds being able to hit a fair few balls into the bay.
I think the Giants lost their first few (6?) games in a row at Pac Bell. Then over time the Giants' pitchers learnt to use the big amount of space in right-centre (or center if you're American) field to their advantage. I think it's 420ft to the wall out there.

Safeco (Seattle) is very much a pitcher's park, as is Comerica (Detroit). Dodger Stadium (Los Angeles) has the reputation of being a pitcher's park, as Wrigley Field used to (although there it has a lot to do with which way the wind blows). Qualcomm (San Diego) has the reputation for being a pitcher's park, along with Oakland's stadium (which I'll just call Oakland's stadium because the Network Associates part of the name sounds daft and I'm having a mental block about the spelling of Coliseum at the moment, as you've already guessed).

And as I type Feather has just picked Kevin Brown, a good pick who plays in an advantageous pitcher's stadium. I know my record with Fantasy sports is atrocious and I'm not the best person to say this, but I've been very impressed by the standard and strategies of drafting (whether intentional or not) to this point. Of course in some ways the bigger test is in the later rounds when the talent levels are somewhat diluted.

Can't think of any other quirks to mention at the moment. No doubt other questions will arise and I'll have a go at tackling them later.
Old 13-03-2002, 08:15 PM
Hair by Les Porter

Quote:
Originally posted by Feather
I have picked Kevin Brown of the Dodgers. It should appear on Yahoo soon. No-one has picked him already have they?
That's fine, no problems at all.

P.S. Why is it that whenever you check "Who's Online" you always see LLCOOLSTEVE there, apart from when it is his turn to draft?
Old 13-03-2002, 08:27 PM

I was looking at Brown but was slightly worried about his durability (and age). Still, its one less pitcher that I can pick......
Old 13-03-2002, 08:32 PM
swinging and missing

Car54 put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recallCar54 put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recallCar54 put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recallCar54 put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recallCar54 put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recallCar54 put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recallCar54 put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recallCar54 put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recallCar54 put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recallCar54 put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recallCar54 put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recall
Brown will be a good pick - he's only been injured once (last year), and as noted above he pitches in a big park. He won the 1st game at Pac-Bell, the first of the six straight SF home losses.

But as a Giants fan picking a Dodger would be like choosing Zamora for a Fantasy Footie team
Old 13-03-2002, 08:37 PM
Hair by Les Porter

Quote:
Originally posted by Daddy Long
I was looking at Brown but was slightly worried about his durability (and age). Still, its one less pitcher that I can pick......
That's the question mark around him. However if he's healthy he's an unquestionably one of the best in the business. Gritty too.

Don't worry about pitchers and age too much. Good pitchers have a way to replace physical ability with mental agility. Pedro Martinez in the play-offs against Cleveland a few years ago is a good example, although not in the same way that I was looking for. Having a total brain failure day today.

The only examples that are currently coming to mind are David Cone and Doc Gooden toward the end of their careers. However I'm sure someone else will be able to present a better example of what I'm talking about.