Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Other Sport Ľ World of Football

Notices

World of Football All non Palace football talk - includes latest scores on Internationals and matches that affect palace.

View Poll Results: Is Pep a good manager?
Yes 56 75.68%
No 7 9.46%
Moo 11 14.86%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old 16-04-2018, 10:50 AM
Heshlo Kitty

cpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExiledStirling View Post
At the end of the day, the CL is a cup competition, and too much store is put on winning it. A great achievement to win it, yes, but necessary proof of greatness, no.
I get your point, but I donít agree. Sure you need some luck to win a cup competition, but a great side over a number of seasons would find this from somewhere. European competition also gives a good indication as to how good a team is in comparison to successful clubs from other countries. Eg, Bayern will keep winning the league in Germany until the end of time, but how are they compared to Spainís, Italyís and Englandís best?
Old 16-04-2018, 11:04 AM

CP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpfc4evandeva View Post
I get your point, but I don’t agree. Sure you need some luck to win a cup competition, but a great side over a number of seasons would find this from somewhere. European competition also gives a good indication as to how good a team is in comparison to successful clubs from other countries. Eg, Bayern will keep winning the league in Germany until the end of time, but how are they compared to Spain’s, Italy’s and England’s best?
Yep. The champions league has overtaken the world cup as the strongest collection of teams on the planet, and to be the best you gotta beat the best.
Old 16-04-2018, 11:11 AM

ExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpfc4evandeva View Post
I get your point, but I donít agree. Sure you need some luck to win a cup competition, but a great side over a number of seasons would find this from somewhere. European competition also gives a good indication as to how good a team is in comparison to successful clubs from other countries. Eg, Bayern will keep winning the league in Germany until the end of time, but how are they compared to Spainís, Italyís and Englandís best?
And I get your point as well.

So maybe I will shift a little and say, the winning of the cup in itself is not the be all and end all to define greatness, as luck can play such a big part in the a cup game, even over two legs, but yes pitting your wits against the elite of Europe, is a measure of how great someone is as a manager.
Old 16-04-2018, 11:30 AM
Safe European Home

JDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is here
He is. The money spent adds pressure in that he has to get a tune out of an expensively assembled squad which he has done after a season getting used to things. Point is he's done it rather than the Leicester example where the team was partly self-managing. That he norked it in the first leg against Liverpool shows he's fallible though.

I think he has one more season in him where the Champions League will be the priority. Then it's where do you go from there? He's not a long-term incumbent.

Hear that Wilf has been linked with City and Guardiola. Think it would be a bad idea. With United he walked straight into the post-Ferguson transition and there is a risk of the same with City.
Old 16-04-2018, 11:39 AM
Werkself

Latvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is here
He's had backing wherever he has been. I'd like to see how he got on with a lesser team.
Old 16-04-2018, 11:57 AM
Lovely

brighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latvian Eagle View Post
He's had backing wherever he has been. I'd like to see how he got on with a lesser team.
Fair point, but unlikely to ever happen.

I think he's a top class manager and coach. His teams play exciting, attacking, winning football. He's acknowledged the backing he's had financially at Man City, and the role that has played in their title winning season, but he's clearly able to get that extra out of players, like Sterling this season. Plus, he seems keen to learn - his chat with Roy before the final whistle when we nearly beat them was I'm sure a football chat between two managers, one of which has decades of experience. I like that he's not too arrogant to tap into that and admit that there is still stuff he can learn.

Is he better than Ferguson? Not sure about that. I think Ferguson represents a style of management from a different era.
Old 16-04-2018, 12:06 PM
I'm not divorced

Golf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is here
Seems pretty good with an unlimited budget.
Old 16-04-2018, 12:44 PM
A gift

CarlosTheFinger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCarlosTheFinger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCarlosTheFinger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCarlosTheFinger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCarlosTheFinger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCarlosTheFinger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCarlosTheFinger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCarlosTheFinger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCarlosTheFinger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCarlosTheFinger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCarlosTheFinger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I find some of the Pep hyperbole cringeworthy but I have much more respect for him at Man City than in his previous jobs and I do admire his commitment to a particular playing style when compared to Mourinho, for example.

Given his reputation and huge financial advantages, 18-match winning streaks and free-flowing football are no more than what we should expect. Not winning the Champions League with Bayern Munich, having taken them over as winners and getting knocked out recently 5-1 by Liverpool is not.

The jury is still out on whether he's great, for me. Like many others, he's a great manager under particular circumstances. I could say the same about Tony Pulis and Sam Allardyce but very few people would use that term to describe either of those two because it's seemingly only reserved for managers of big teams who win trophies.

One thing nobody can disagree on is that Pep is definitely the best at wishing people a happy new year.

Last edited by CarlosTheFinger; 16-04-2018 at 12:54 PM.
Old 16-04-2018, 12:50 PM

jhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Is he a good manager?
Probably, but £350M might have something to do with it too!
Old 16-04-2018, 01:01 PM

CP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is here
I’d rather watch a Pep team, but still have to rate Mourinho higher. Purely for what he achieved a Porto, proving he can win trophies without a completely star studded team.
Old 16-04-2018, 01:03 PM

switchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP-RJW View Post
Iíd rather watch a Pep team, but still have to rate Mourinho higher. Purely for what he achieved a Porto, proving he can win trophies without a completely star studded team.
Agreed, however where Ferguson had to completely reinvent his own methods and teams to the ever changing football quite a few times at United, Mourinho has to start doing so as well or he is going to be left behind.
"Every time a new player comes to the club I always try to make them understand what it means to play for Crystal Palace. It's a place unlike other clubs, the fans they're just incredible and I want them to understand that. It's part of my job as a senior player to make sure they know what it is and the passion behind it." - Speroni
Old 16-04-2018, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by switchboard View Post
Agreed, however where Ferguson had to completely reinvent his own methods and teams to the ever changing football quite a few times at United, Mourinho has to start doing so as well or he is going to be left behind.
Yeah, I wouldn’t say that I rate him higher than whiskey nose.
Old 16-04-2018, 01:16 PM
Happy Felix Day!

Adlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is here
He has had backing. But so have Manchester United. Those two teams have the highest net transfer spend by some distance.

And they’ve just utterly dicked on Manchester United.

Also he’s just proven you can win the league using a totally different brand of football. Only Wenger has done that since i’ve been watching.
The Defector looks like no other breaking pitch in the game. It is well-supinated, leaving the right hand of Fernandez at a fastball trajectory before the laws of physics cease to apply and the laws of awesome take over.
Old 16-04-2018, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adlerhorst View Post
He has had backing. But so have Manchester United. Those two teams have the highest net transfer spend by some distance.

And they’ve just utterly dicked on Manchester United.

Also he’s just proven you can win the league using a totally different brand of football. Only Wenger has done that since i’ve been watching.
So perhaps Pep is better with a great team available to him, but he’s never proved himself without one, Mourinho has.
Old 16-04-2018, 01:23 PM
Climbing for dollars

Reps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is here
Horses for courses

Would you want him coming in in Feb with your team in tbe relegation zone and no money to spend?

Have you got a squad of superstars and a budget of 100s millions?

There are managers that could do one but not the other and vice versa
Old 16-04-2018, 01:59 PM
Happy Felix Day!

Adlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is here
Quote:
So perhaps Pep is better with a great team available to him, but heís never proved himself without one, Mourinho has.
I assume you are referring to Porto because outside of that he has always had pots of money to spend when he has won anything.

I appreciate this is going to be sacrilege but that Chanpions league run was pretty lucky draw wise (and he inhereted a very talented if underperforming team).
The Defector looks like no other breaking pitch in the game. It is well-supinated, leaving the right hand of Fernandez at a fastball trajectory before the laws of physics cease to apply and the laws of awesome take over.
Old 16-04-2018, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adlerhorst View Post
I assume you are referring to Porto because outside of that he has always had pots of money to spend when he has won anything.

I appreciate this is going to be sacrilege but that Chanpions league run was pretty lucky draw wise (and he inhereted a very talented if underperforming team).
Yes, Porto. And I don’t care how easy a champions league run that is, it’s still a very impressive feat, with a team that had Benni McCarthy up front. Unless Pep does something at a team that isn’t completely star studded (I doubt that he’ll ever go to a team like that), I’ll always consider Mourinho a greater manager.
Old 16-04-2018, 02:14 PM
Banned by Moderators

Kylie_Tracey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKylie_Tracey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKylie_Tracey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKylie_Tracey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKylie_Tracey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKylie_Tracey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKylie_Tracey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKylie_Tracey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKylie_Tracey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKylie_Tracey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKylie_Tracey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Yes, Porto. And I donít care how easy a champions league run that is, itís still a very impressive feat, with a team that had Benni McCarthy up front. Unless Pep does something at a team that isnít completely star studded (I doubt that heíll ever go to a team like that), Iíll always consider Mourinho a greater manager.
They paid a Portuguese record for MacArthy at the time I believe
Old 16-04-2018, 02:15 PM

Kidofwonder Sam the man is hereKidofwonder Sam the man is hereKidofwonder Sam the man is hereKidofwonder Sam the man is hereKidofwonder Sam the man is hereKidofwonder Sam the man is hereKidofwonder Sam the man is hereKidofwonder Sam the man is hereKidofwonder Sam the man is hereKidofwonder Sam the man is hereKidofwonder Sam the man is here
He's just won the Premier league with Fabian Delph at left back and could break every premier league record ever before the season ends and has done it playing a quality of football not seen in England before
Old 16-04-2018, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie_Tracey View Post
They paid a Portuguese record for MacArthy at the time I believe
He was a good player at the time, but the point is that he was a never a world class superstar, like Pep has had to work with up front in Messi, Villa, Ibrahimovic, Lewandowski, Ageuro etc