Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 04-04-2010, 08:42 AM

thefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestial Empire
The best way to do that might be to have a REALLY good quality designer kit and jackets on sale (not for use by the first team); we have all the elements for a talented designer (eagle, Crystal Palace, etc). If it became a must-have, the kids would spend the dosh (like fancy trainers). Parish might be just the bloke who could do that (in association with P.Diddy inc ?)

Football kits colours are tasteless and tacky that so many people would never wear away from a match and no one is going to wear another teams stuff.
Very limited market which would probably never cover costs.

Get the team in the champions league and you have the brand to make millions all around the world. Other than that forget it.

Last edited by thefox; 04-04-2010 at 11:06 AM.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:53 AM

thefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Rhino
Good point. I'd like to think the new owners would buy the franchise back though, after all it cant be worth much the way it's currently run (does it actually make them any money??).

Jordan really did phuck the club up didn't he....

It was already ****ed he just tried to run it with not enough money for todays game and made mistakes by trying to get money anyway he could when the club needed it. I didn't see many people saying no when good players were touted in the transfer forum thinking oh no we might be ****ed in a few years if we sign him.
The club is losing millions because we just don't have the income to compete in the top divisions anymore. He gambled on getting money quickly to get to the premiership and TV money. The new owners will soon find the same thing.

There are 2 choices gamble on getting to the premier league or spend less and expect to play league 1 or league 2 football. There are simply too many clubs and too many bigger clubs in London.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:59 AM

All the people saying only sign up and coming players, get a good manager who signs only profitable players, don't sign journey men, failed prem players, yes it's really that easy isn't it.
I must have missed the queue around the block of all these young talented players who can play first team football competitively as soon as they join and will stay with us , desperate to sign for us wearing say no to Spurs t-shirts queing along with all the best managers waiting to work for low wages.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:01 AM
Yorkshire's finest

EMLEY EAGLE lets there be sunlight, lets there be rain, lets the brokenhearted love againEMLEY EAGLE lets there be sunlight, lets there be rain, lets the brokenhearted love againEMLEY EAGLE lets there be sunlight, lets there be rain, lets the brokenhearted love againEMLEY EAGLE lets there be sunlight, lets there be rain, lets the brokenhearted love againEMLEY EAGLE lets there be sunlight, lets there be rain, lets the brokenhearted love againEMLEY EAGLE lets there be sunlight, lets there be rain, lets the brokenhearted love againEMLEY EAGLE lets there be sunlight, lets there be rain, lets the brokenhearted love againEMLEY EAGLE lets there be sunlight, lets there be rain, lets the brokenhearted love againEMLEY EAGLE lets there be sunlight, lets there be rain, lets the brokenhearted love againEMLEY EAGLE lets there be sunlight, lets there be rain, lets the brokenhearted love againEMLEY EAGLE lets there be sunlight, lets there be rain, lets the brokenhearted love again
I think they need to market the club more.

Because I run a junior club up here I get inundated with e-mails from Huddersfield Town with news and offers for juniors and adults.

We need to attract back the missing '000's and get kids in.

Look at the pricing structure and talk to the fans about what would make their match day experience more exciting and encourage them to bring family and friends along.

Build up the academy.

Appoint an up and coming manager who has a vision for the future and then invest in him.

Be prudent in the transfer market.

Keep a low profile!
Old 04-04-2010, 11:04 AM
Time is running out

Billy Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is here
I see thefox is feeling positive on this lovely spring Easter Sunday!

My idea for the voucher coincides with a reduction in match day tickets to £22, in that you could buy a ticket and a £3 beer/food voucher for £25 at the box office (or however many vouchers you want. This is the same basis as the other idea but probably a bit easier to work, however there would still be some issues that need to be ironed out like soft drinks/general things that dont cost £3.

These vouchers would be valid indefinitely so season ticket holders could buy a (discounted) bunch of them before the season starts. Hopefully, they would be reusable laminated ones to cut down on costs and should be hopefully harder to lose!
Old 04-04-2010, 11:29 AM

Quote:
I see thefox is feeling positive on this lovely spring Easter Sunday!

My idea for the voucher coincides with a reduction in match day tickets to £22, in that you could buy a ticket and a £3 beer/food voucher for £25 at the box office (or however many vouchers you want. This is the same basis as the other idea but probably a bit easier to work, however there would still be some issues that need to be ironed out like soft drinks/general things that dont cost £3.

These vouchers would be valid indefinitely so season ticket holders could buy a (discounted) bunch of them before the season starts. Hopefully, they would be reusable laminated ones to cut down on costs and should be hopefully harder to lose!
Seriously what's the point ? Why would anyone pay for something up front that they don't know if they want yet instead of paying cash.

Then what happens if you want something else and don't have enough vouchers or do you pay out a load of money in advance for junk food ?
What happens when you don't have enough for when a kid wants something and throws the toys out the pram holding the queue up ?
What happens if you leave them at home if you have bought in advance queue up for more ?
What happens when the wholesaler raises the price or staff have a wage increase if people have paid in advance , wheres the profit ?

Again printing and logistics would cost more than someone on minimum wage for a few hours to work as cashier.

It would take much longer , cost more and involve more people than simply paying cash.

They do it like that here in food halls, queue up for the cards as they don't trust the food staff to handle cash. It makes the process of buying much, much longer and I amongst many others can't be arsed and don't bother.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:55 AM
Time is running out

Billy Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefox
Seriously what's the point ? Why would anyone pay for something up front that they don't know if they want yet instead of paying cash.

Then what happens if you want something else and don't have enough vouchers or do you pay out a load of money in advance for junk food ?
What happens when you don't have enough for when a kid wants something and throws the toys out the pram holding the queue up ?
What happens if you leave them at home if you have bought in advance queue up for more ?
What happens when the wholesaler raises the price or staff have a wage increase if people have paid in advance , wheres the profit ?

Again printing and logistics would cost more than someone on minimum wage for a few hours to work as cashier.

It would take much longer , cost more and involve more people than simply paying cash.

They do it like that here in food halls, queue up for the cards as they don't trust the food staff to handle cash. It makes the process of buying much, much longer and I amongst many others can't be arsed and don't bother.
The main point is that the 15 minute half-time period is the prime time the club makes money out of food & drink. A well worked voucher system would significantly speed up the process but admittedly it would take time to get it working properly.
Initially, it would just be a voluntary thing until fans got the idea then later on you could have separate queues for money and vouchers. I think that part of the reason that the quality of food is poor is because they dont make money out of it because they dont sell enough in the first place.

To start with, it would probably make sense if it was only beer vouchers then take it from there. I would also suggest they sell some better beers than bloody Fosters!
Also, they should probably only sell bottled beers to speed up the process. I tried to get a half-time beer in the main stand during the Wolves game and it was virtually impossible. Some bloke lost his patience with them so they shut the bar!!
Old 04-04-2010, 03:48 PM

Quote:
The main point is that the 15 minute half-time period is the prime time the club makes money out of food & drink. A well worked voucher system would significantly speed up the process but admittedly it would take time to get it working properly.
Initially, it would just be a voluntary thing until fans got the idea then later on you could have separate queues for money and vouchers. I think that part of the reason that the quality of food is poor is because they dont make money out of it because they dont sell enough in the first place.

To start with, it would probably make sense if it was only beer vouchers then take it from there. I would also suggest they sell some better beers than bloody Fosters!
Also, they should probably only sell bottled beers to speed up the process. I tried to get a half-time beer in the main stand during the Wolves game and it was virtually impossible. Some bloke lost his patience with them so they shut the bar!!
It's even worse in the Arthur something does need to be done, but I think if you had to pay in vouchers most people would just say sod that for a game of soldiers and spend nothing instead, even deter some people from coming altogether.

One thing that crossed my mind earlier was if it's possible would be to have vending machine that takes these beer tokens as all they sell is bottled plastic(?) beer (in the arthur anyway) instead of having an incredibly long wait for 2 guys to poor it into a plastic glass for you, but I imagine they're not allowed to sell it with the tops on.

Don't diss the fosters , when you can't get it you blooming miss it. I've had a can in the fridge for about 6 months waiting for the right time to drink it.
Old 04-04-2010, 06:38 PM
Time is running out

Quote:
It's even worse in the Arthur something does need to be done, but I think if you had to pay in vouchers most people would just say sod that for a game of soldiers and spend nothing instead, even deter some people from coming altogether.

One thing that crossed my mind earlier was if it's possible would be to have vending machine that takes these beer tokens as all they sell is bottled plastic(?) beer (in the arthur anyway) instead of having an incredibly long wait for 2 guys to poor it into a plastic glass for you, but I imagine they're not allowed to sell it with the tops on.

Don't diss the fosters , when you can't get it you blooming miss it. I've had a can in the fridge for about 6 months waiting for the right time to drink it.
Vouchers are only one idea but I agree that something needs to be done regardless. This, like many of the other problems that we have, is a common problem in football and there would be money to be earned if you could come up with a decent system to resolve it throughout football.

A card system similar to Oyster cards could work. We have season ticket cards now so they could be linked surely?

....I assume you're waiting for the tap to run out of water before drinking it? (though water has more taste and probably contains more alcohol than Fosters! )
Old 04-04-2010, 07:01 PM

Ron Dogers : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRon Dogers : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRon Dogers : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRon Dogers : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRon Dogers : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRon Dogers : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRon Dogers : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRon Dogers : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRon Dogers : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRon Dogers : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRon Dogers : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
All the people saying only sign up and coming players, get a good manager who signs only profitable players, don't sign journey men, failed prem players, yes it's really that easy isn't it.
I must have missed the queue around the block of all these young talented players who can play first team football competitively as soon as they join and will stay with us , desperate to sign for us wearing say no to Spurs t-shirts queing along with all the best managers waiting to work for low wages.
I think we are saying not to never ever sign experience but we could I think have tried for several blokes like Beckford, Boyd etc for what we have spent on say Scowy?

the only times we have recently gone down divisions we didn't really try hard enough, eg the striker we never played or gave them a chance, Dagenham Dave, Jeff Hughes etc
Old 04-04-2010, 08:48 PM

Chris K Sam the man is hereChris K Sam the man is hereChris K Sam the man is hereChris K Sam the man is hereChris K Sam the man is hereChris K Sam the man is hereChris K Sam the man is hereChris K Sam the man is hereChris K Sam the man is hereChris K Sam the man is hereChris K Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Amsalem
It makes me laugh when people say "make the tickets £xxx" - especially when they supply the maths.

It's not as A, B, C as everybody makes out.

It reasonable to say "the new owners should look at the ticket prices" but suggested prices etc is crazy talk.
You're right as its impossible to judge the elacticity of demand, its not a case of 'lower prices and the ground will fill' there's many more factors involved such as how the team are performing and so on.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:04 PM

fmhall sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkfmhall sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkfmhall sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkfmhall sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkfmhall sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkfmhall sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkfmhall sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkfmhall sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkfmhall sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkfmhall sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkfmhall sings up the sun in a dawn so very dark
Quote:
Originally Posted by SE25Eagle
To be honest though people move away for a better standard of life, Thorton Heath, S Norwood, and most of Croydon used to be big communities, and lets be honest all those places are more like Ghetto's now full of immagrants (and before people start thats not a racist comment, im just stating facts) and none of them have no attachment to CPFC, they all support one of the 'Big 4'

100% right !

They support the Big 4 and the Benefits agency supports them
Old 04-04-2010, 10:45 PM
Time is running out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Dogers
I think we are saying not to never ever sign experience but we could I think have tried for several blokes like Beckford, Boyd etc for what we have spent on say Scowy?

the only times we have recently gone down divisions we didn't really try hard enough, eg the striker we never played or gave them a chance, Dagenham Dave, Jeff Hughes etc
Totally agree with this. Lower league players with potential are the way forward (along with the odd cheap foreign player with something to prove, like Ertl) as they are a lot more likely to provide the club with future revenue via a transfer fee (and we never did give Dorchester Dave long enough to prove himself...).

Let's hope signings like Macken, Kuqi, Scowcroft etc are a thing of the past.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:06 PM
gumnut cottage

foxinthebox : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minefoxinthebox : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minefoxinthebox : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minefoxinthebox : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minefoxinthebox : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minefoxinthebox : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minefoxinthebox : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minefoxinthebox : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minefoxinthebox : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minefoxinthebox : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minefoxinthebox : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
couple of things

- dont pay for players over 25 seems silly. very restrictive, it might be just this type of player you need to get you out of or into a certain situation, i e relegation or promotion hunt. target men are generally older and experienced. maybe a a limit to the money spent but to say no fee is ridiculous, yore cutting out a massive chunk of the market. someone like neil danns wouldnt be playing for us now. 25s not old at all!! he clearly has sell on value even with a few years service

and secondly we cant begin to price up what our game should cost, lower - fair enough but £10midweek and £15 weekend, come on! you can barely watch league two football for that. is about a tenner to watch blue square south/north. it would only lead to greater holes in the budget being created, wed need to sell loads more tickets and each eat about 5 pies at half time. it wouldnt be in line with other clubs at our current level either so i dont wthink any cuts on such scale should be expected

a simpler pricing structure would be nice, maybe save higher pricing for millwall, brighton, charlton and should we ever return to the top flight a select few (utd, chelsea, arsenal etc)

i think serving food that people want to eat other than them plastic flavoured burgers would be a start too!! i always get food outside as at least it tastes nice

shirts for £20 when purchasing a season ticket might bring in extra revenue, or a free shirt for new/returning season ticket holders the £5/£10 or whatever the shirt costs to the club would be made back by the fan in a couple of home game should tey buy a bit of food/programme etc
Old 04-04-2010, 11:12 PM
Benevolence personified

Vince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake and Eat It
Good point Stamford.

Machines like the ones at train stations/cinemas to buy tickets please.... taking cash, card or accepting a reservation number from the internet. Decreases work load of the box office and increases those opportunity spectators.
I remember this crazy system when I started going to matches where you'd give the guy on the turnstile some money, and he'd let you in.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:18 PM
Premiership 2018/19

rbarmy is like ice, their footing does betrayrbarmy is like ice, their footing does betrayrbarmy is like ice, their footing does betrayrbarmy is like ice, their footing does betrayrbarmy is like ice, their footing does betrayrbarmy is like ice, their footing does betrayrbarmy is like ice, their footing does betrayrbarmy is like ice, their footing does betrayrbarmy is like ice, their footing does betrayrbarmy is like ice, their footing does betrayrbarmy is like ice, their footing does betray
Quote:
...never did give Dorchester Dave long enough to prove himself....
Dartford?
Old 05-04-2010, 03:06 AM

All_Fired_Up All_Fired_Up All_Fired_Up All_Fired_Up All_Fired_Up All_Fired_Up All_Fired_Up All_Fired_Up All_Fired_Up All_Fired_Up All_Fired_Up
the card Idea Is good, but another Idea would be to follow the usa example and have a guy from the bar actually goIng out durIng the game wIth the plastIc bottled beer sellIng It to you whIlst watchIng the game
Old 05-04-2010, 06:49 AM
Collecting Palace tat

Dorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is here
Sell merchandise (particularly shirts and scarves) in lots of shops, not just the Selhurst Club shop - there should be a shop in every town for 30 miles radius where you can buy a Palace shirt
"Crystal Palace is cult viewing, like a late night TV show that only a few people know about, like a precious record that was never number one but makes everybody who knows it want to dance and sing… and sometimes cry." Tony, 3-7-2001

"Well, as I said before, we are only 6 points behind 4th from bottom with the prize of an additional £65 million (minimum) if we stay up. So, we'd be bonkers if that wasn't the top priority. Nobody's giving up on staying in this league." CPFC2010, 5-11-2013
Old 05-04-2010, 07:24 AM
XXVII

little al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is here
Quote:

With the prices they charge for substandard shite, I don't think that's an issue.

It beats me why anyone eats at Selhurst anyway.

Last edited by little al; 05-04-2010 at 08:16 AM.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:31 AM
17 years for 3,250 posts

ee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
IMO Jordan made his biggest mistakes at the beginning of his ownership, especially the part about not listening to the fans. Therefore, this time around let's try and help our new owners as much as possible with ideas on how to improve things at Palace.
Just contact BBS'er "Tony" for all the work he did on this with the Jordans last year...
He collated all the ideas on the planet...?