Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic The Music Forum

Notices

The Music Forum All things music

Old 05-02-2014, 11:15 AM
Resurrection!

Baloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Should also put Engineers on the list as a post-2000 shoegaze band. I bought their first album, but none since.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:24 AM
Hey ho, lets go!

kick it doris : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekick it doris : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekick it doris : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekick it doris : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekick it doris : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekick it doris : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekick it doris : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekick it doris : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekick it doris : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekick it doris : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekick it doris : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Aguila View Post
I didn't need to open this thread to know who had started it.
Some amazing records on there. Really it is mostly what we used to call psychedelia isn't it?
Do you like late Buzzcocks? A Different kind of Tension, for example?
Non guitar psychedelia like Miles Davis? The hip hop that tends in that direction?
ADKOT is Buzzcocks third album. They've made quite a few since - albeit with a different line up.They are just about to start recording a new one so don't think it can be classed as late. I've never really thought of them as Shoegaze I have to admit - more punk/pop.

Can I offer up Melody's Echo Chamber from 2012 as a more recent contender.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:24 AM
Eep! Woot!

PalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
Should also put Engineers on the list as a post-2000 shoegaze band. I bought their first album, but none since.
the second album is good, much louder.

regards Buzzcocks, I've only got a compliation album. which I like. Surprised to hear they've done anything that might be classed as shoegaze. I shall investigate.
Old 05-02-2014, 02:57 PM
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
I wouldn't class it as shoegaze. I missed out on that genre altogether. It's just apparent they were taking a lot of acid around that time - see also the singles, especially the B-sides.
I think I know what your problem is with jazz, PM. I'll just suggest you start with Chet Baker, Art Pepper, Dave Brubeck and Bix Biederbecke. You might find those more congenial.
Old 05-02-2014, 03:15 PM
Eep! Woot!

PalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceMonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
have you just done a WCB?

for shame
Old 05-02-2014, 04:12 PM

wavey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwavey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwavey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwavey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwavey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwavey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwavey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwavey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwavey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwavey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwavey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Medicine - One More, great shoegaze track...

To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 05-02-2014, 04:12 PM

Superfly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSuperfly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSuperfly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSuperfly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSuperfly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSuperfly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSuperfly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSuperfly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSuperfly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSuperfly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSuperfly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I'm deperately trying to spot any ommissions from your pre 2000 list, just so I can casually mention that My Bloody Valentine are, always have been, and always will be the greatest band ever to have graced the planet, but I can't!

Maybe Echobelly and Shellyan Orphan? Too tenous?

I was at a MBV concert sometime between 1985 and 1995 (I don't have the strongest of memories) somewhere in a tiny pub in Hammersmith which ended with Colm doing a stagedive. If this rings any bells with any BBS'ers I'd appreciate any other details as it's the greatest ever concert I've been to - and I can't remember anything about it!
Old 05-02-2014, 04:17 PM
jft39

west country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Aguila View Post
I think I know what your problem is with jazz, PM. I'll just suggest you start with Chet Baker, Art Pepper, Dave Brubeck and Bix Biederbecke. You might find those more congenial.
Benny Goodman and Stan Getz, surely?

Anyway, back on topic - this compilation is jolly good: To view the link you have to Register or Login.
Old 05-02-2014, 04:22 PM
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalaceMonkey View Post
have you just done a WCB?

for shame
I have no shame.
Old 05-02-2014, 04:31 PM
Eep! Woot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by west country boy View Post
Benny Goodman and Stan Getz, surely?

Anyway, back on topic - this compilation is jolly good: To view the link you have to Register or Login.
oh yeah, I remember liking School of the Seven Bells - Alpinism.
The follow up wasn't as good.

I put the latest M83 on the other week, and 'er indoors thought it sounded like Enigma
Old 05-02-2014, 04:56 PM

hilairehair : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehilairehair : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehilairehair : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehilairehair : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehilairehair : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehilairehair : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehilairehair : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehilairehair : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehilairehair : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehilairehair : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehilairehair : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I've got a Claire records compilation with lots of the more recent nugaze bands on. Don't think it was that good from memory though. Some of the German stuff from Morr music is very shoegazery (Lali puna, donna regina), to the extent that they even released a compilation of Slowdive covers. Flying Saucer Attack, Bark Psychosis, Godspeed You Black Emperor and Mogwai from the post rock side of things. Also Ulrich Schnauss, Bowery Electric, The Nightblooms, Medicine. Secret Shine were fairly derivative, but did a good mini version of MBV. The Cranes were lumped in with it all early on.

A lot of the early 90s bands couldn't really sustain it over a whole album, but there were some good 4 track eps from around that time.
Old 05-02-2014, 04:58 PM
Resurrection!

Baloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
That Cathedral Classics compilation looks good, so will investigate further.

It also reminds me that Maps - We Can Create (released in 2007 - wow, that long ago?!) was another excellent shoegazey beauty. They supported Blonde Redhead, if I recall correctly. Their second album went much more electronic and less shoegazey. I didn't even realise they released a third album last year, so will check that out also.
Old 05-02-2014, 06:38 PM

mexicaneagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmexicaneagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmexicaneagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmexicaneagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmexicaneagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmexicaneagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmexicaneagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmexicaneagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmexicaneagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmexicaneagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmexicaneagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Loop, anyone?

Old 05-02-2014, 07:30 PM

Halftime Gold came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalftime Gold came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalftime Gold came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalftime Gold came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalftime Gold came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalftime Gold came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalftime Gold came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalftime Gold came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalftime Gold came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalftime Gold came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalftime Gold came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Amazed Spacemen 3 never released this at the time, much better than the latter Spiritualized version...

Old 05-02-2014, 08:01 PM

Raggy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRaggy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRaggy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRaggy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRaggy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRaggy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRaggy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRaggy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRaggy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRaggy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRaggy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
So, My Bloody Valentine released a new album. Slowdive are back together. New guitar bands are revelling in the art of reverb and fuzz and general ethereal loveliness.

It's time for a thread dedicated to all things shoegaze and dream pop.

On a quick flick through my iTunes library, below are my standout albums in the genres, split into pre- and post-millennium, but otherwise only in a very rough-and-ready order of favouriteness.

To avoid the lists being too long, I have only listed one album from each band.

I realise there'll be some debate as to whether all the bands listed fit into the genre categories, but hey ho, bring it on, let's discuss.

Pre-2000 albums

Boo Radleys - Giant Steps
Pale Saints - Slow Buildings
Ride - Nowhere
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
Six.by Seven - The Things We Make
Mercury Rev - Yerself Is Steam
Curve - Doppelganger
Slowdive - Souvlaki
The Jesus and Mary Chain - Psychocandy
Catherine Wheel - Ferment
Luna - Pup Tent
Galaxie 500 - On Fire
Spiritualized - Lazer Guided Melodies
Lush - Spooky
A. R. Kane - Sixty-Nine
Swervedriver - Mezcal Head
Cocteau Twins - Heaven or Las Vegas
For Against - December
Spacemen 3 - The Perfect Prescription

Post-2000 Albums

Asobi Seksu - Citrus
The Pains of Being Pure at Heart - Belong
The Rum Diary - We're Afraid of Heights Tonight
Cloud Control - Dream Cave
The High Wire - The Sleep Tape
History of Apple Pie - Out of View
Blonde Redhead - 23
Younghusband - Dromes
Deerhunter - Cryptograms
Beach House - Teen Dream
Exit Music - Passage
Lotus Plaza - Spooky Action at a Distance
Orange Yellow Red - A Rose Made of Galaxies
No Joy - Wait to Pleasure
Pinkunoizu - The Drop
The Radio Dept. - Lesser Matters
Bleach - Killing Time
Old 05-02-2014, 08:11 PM

Gooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I never really saw Swervedriver as "shoegaze", I have to say.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:27 PM

ReadingPalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineReadingPalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineReadingPalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineReadingPalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineReadingPalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineReadingPalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineReadingPalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineReadingPalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineReadingPalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineReadingPalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineReadingPalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
No mention of Toy as yet. Not shoegazey enough, maybe?
I am liking what I have heard so far of the latest Mogwai album, by the way.

Last edited by ReadingPalace; 05-02-2014 at 08:45 PM.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:30 PM
Panty Organizer

Funk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is here
I'll add an album from 2001, Scream the Sound by The Emerald Down.

Old 05-02-2014, 11:00 PM

hilairehair : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehilairehair : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehilairehair : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehilairehair : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehilairehair : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehilairehair : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehilairehair : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehilairehair : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehilairehair : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehilairehair : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehilairehair : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicaneagle View Post
Loop, anyone?

I saw one of the pre ATP Loop reunion gigs at Netil house a couple of months ago. I guess them and Spacemen 3 would be retrospectively lumped in with the whole scene, but they were both a lot harder, less ethereal than say Chapterhouse or Slowdive. More Stooges or Suicide than the Cocteau Twins (who were obviously a big influence on the latter two).

The Loop gig was great too. Their 20 minute version of Mother Sky (complete with wasp in a jam jar guitar solos) was a thing of beauty. Also they haven't gone bald or fat, which is a bonus. I think they are going to be touring here again soon, so catch them if you can.

Last edited by hilairehair; 05-02-2014 at 11:03 PM.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:10 AM
Hey ho, lets go!

kick it doris : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekick it doris : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekick it doris : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekick it doris : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekick it doris : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekick it doris : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekick it doris : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekick it doris : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekick it doris : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekick it doris : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekick it doris : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Moose produced some really good EPs including the tracks "Boy" and "Jack" back in the late 80s/early 90s. Not sure about an album.

To view the link you have to Register or Login

Last edited by kick it doris; 06-02-2014 at 11:20 AM.