Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » The Music Forum

Notices

The Music Forum All things music

Old 13-07-2004, 10:26 PM

Tony came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTony came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTony came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTony came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTony came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTony came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTony came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTony came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTony came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTony came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTony came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Welcome to… BBS Folk Club

Just got the freebie CD of stuff that influenced Led Zep being given away with this month's Mojo (yet another brilliant job by their compilers).

It has Bert Jansch, John Renbourn and John Fahey on it and the more I hear these guys, the more I like. Jansch in particular is top stuff, I know he's been name checked by Johnny Marr, Noel Gallagher and others, but I didn't really know his music. He should be a lot better known.

When I was young I often used to go with my uncle, a hopeful acoustic guitarist/siinger/songwriter (and dyed in the wool 60s hippy) to folk clubs, just to keep him company when he played. I have to say the clubs were universally dismal, underpopulated by tatty, unkempt people with no discernible musical ability or taste and forsooth it verily set my mind against folk, which seemed to me to be a lifeless form.

But, would you believe it, I seem to be coming over all 'hey nonny nonny', and if this sudden liking for Renbourn's Maid of Bedlam or Fairport Convention's Matty Groves carries on I can see myself ending up with a pewter tankard behind the bar, a finger in my ear and a hankering for sea shanties.

Anyone else got folky tendencies? I'm always up for a bit of musical mind expansion, so welcome to BBS Folk Club a place to light a candle, recommend a tune, cuddle up with a comely wench (with not too many warts), sink a pint of mead and confess.
Old 13-07-2004, 10:33 PM
A rare visitor

Al From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is here
I think you're on your own mate.
Old 13-07-2004, 10:41 PM

Tony came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTony came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTony came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTony came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTony came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTony came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTony came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTony came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTony came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTony came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTony came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally posted by Al From Bromley
I think you're on your own mate.
It's a social experiment. I'm secretly a crazed punk, trying to flush the hippies out into the open…

… oh, damn, now I've given myself away
Old 13-07-2004, 10:45 PM
What now?!!

toucaneagle keeps it in mind, eight times out of ninetoucaneagle keeps it in mind, eight times out of ninetoucaneagle keeps it in mind, eight times out of ninetoucaneagle keeps it in mind, eight times out of ninetoucaneagle keeps it in mind, eight times out of ninetoucaneagle keeps it in mind, eight times out of ninetoucaneagle keeps it in mind, eight times out of ninetoucaneagle keeps it in mind, eight times out of ninetoucaneagle keeps it in mind, eight times out of ninetoucaneagle keeps it in mind, eight times out of ninetoucaneagle keeps it in mind, eight times out of nine
Don't knock it till you've tried it Al!! I'm with you Tony... folk has this really bad image but there are some real gems in the folk archives. People who can really play their instruments and have done the hard graft on the club circuit, If you ever get the chance check out Show of Hands... Phil Beer and Steve Knightley - absolutely fantastic. To view the link you have to Register or Login
Cheers
Old 13-07-2004, 10:51 PM
Anarchosyndicalist

Location: Nearer to inner peace than I was. Corporeally, Chippenham.
calne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecalne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecalne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecalne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecalne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecalne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecalne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecalne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecalne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecalne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecalne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
First one to sing Wild Rover gets shot.....................
Old 13-07-2004, 10:51 PM
What now?!!

toucaneagle keeps it in mind, eight times out of ninetoucaneagle keeps it in mind, eight times out of ninetoucaneagle keeps it in mind, eight times out of ninetoucaneagle keeps it in mind, eight times out of ninetoucaneagle keeps it in mind, eight times out of ninetoucaneagle keeps it in mind, eight times out of ninetoucaneagle keeps it in mind, eight times out of ninetoucaneagle keeps it in mind, eight times out of ninetoucaneagle keeps it in mind, eight times out of ninetoucaneagle keeps it in mind, eight times out of ninetoucaneagle keeps it in mind, eight times out of nine
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tony
[B]It's a social experiment. I'm secretly a crazed punk, trying to flush the hippies out into the open…

Err... that's me then is it?To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 13-07-2004, 11:02 PM

Jonboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJonboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJonboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJonboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJonboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJonboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJonboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJonboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJonboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJonboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJonboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Now that you mention it …

I am moving house at the end of this month so a couple of weeks ago I took loads of my old stuff out of storage, including my LP collection. Among them are ones by Fairport, Bert Jansch and Pentangle. I’m obviously a bit on an old hippy myself. However, the best one, and the one that made me wonder how I had managed to survive 20 years without hearing it, is Joni Mitchell’s Blue. What a stunning album, as fresh and emotional as it was on the day it was released. I think I am about to spend a fortune buying all of her stuff on CD’s.

I was really stuck by the eclectic nature of my LP collection – assembled between the ages of 14 to 21. Er, several years ago now. Every type of musical genre represented from classical to folk, jazz to progressive, hard rock to punk, Cole Porter to Motown and rock & roll to pop. I’ve obviously become very narrow minded and boring over the years.
Old 13-07-2004, 11:07 PM

Forgive my lame joke, toucaneagle.

You're undoubtedly right, folk has had a dismal image and I'm as guilty as any for dismissing it out of hand (Dylan aside). As I said the folk clubs I occasionally frequented could have been Fast Show parodies. Maybe my recall is dodgy but if you'd picked up an acoustic guitar in the late 70s people would think you'd taken leave of your senses, but I think there has been some kind of reappraisal (or maybe that's just me).

It's funny how things go. I could never get into jazz, but eventually found at least some areas I liked, the same has happened wiith classical music, and now I'm wondering what I've missed folk wise. One day I might even have to bite the bullet on country music
Old 13-07-2004, 11:13 PM

sorry, ignore this, I must have pushed the send button twice

Last edited by Tony; 14-07-2004 at 09:49 AM.
Old 13-07-2004, 11:59 PM

Jonboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJonboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJonboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJonboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJonboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJonboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJonboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJonboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJonboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJonboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJonboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Yes, there was a lot of dross in the folk clubs – especially the member’s spots. I still managed to see some amazing performances for the price of a pint or two. John Martyn, Allan Hull, Jack the Lad, Planxty, and Martin Carthy spring to mind immediately.

Also, in the seventies there was no standup comedy clubs so the folk clubs were an outlet for some of this kind of humor. Mike Harding stands out as the funniest man I have seen live. His “folk” set consisted of two 3 minute songs with a 57 minute introduction each.
Old 14-07-2004, 06:22 AM
Man and beast

Elephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is here
Yes, I've been tempted by the folk devil myself. I know someone who's good on the guitar and who goes to a lot of folk events. I went to one with him a few months ago and I'm afraid it put me back against the whole thing - if anyone broke the silence during someone's set, there was hell to pay. It was worse than at some jazz clubs. Maybe I was unlucky. Agree with you about Bert Jansch, though.
Old 14-07-2004, 06:40 AM
Perpetually Devastated

newbureagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minenewbureagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minenewbureagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minenewbureagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minenewbureagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minenewbureagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minenewbureagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minenewbureagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minenewbureagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minenewbureagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minenewbureagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Kate Rusby or Cara Dillon anyone?

Superb, especially Kate. She's the one that people go up to and say "I don't like folk music but I do like you!" I even managed to get my Nu Metal mate into her!
Old 14-07-2004, 06:41 AM
Thinking

Bintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Used to go every week to Hoddeson Folk Club and also Ware Folk Club in Hertfordshire.

Remember many a fun evening spent seeing Al Stewart, Roy Harper and The Incredible String Band. Happy hippy trippy days.

Fairport Convention used to put on a free concert some place - think it was Much Hadham, or something like that.

Oh yes and then there was Nick Drake, sad loss.
Old 14-07-2004, 06:51 AM

Gooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Never had much time for folk music (assuming I know what it is).

What did it influence Led Zep to do - stuff like Bron Y Aur and Gallows Pole from Led Zep III?
Old 14-07-2004, 08:12 AM

Richard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by Tony
It's a social experiment. I'm secretly a crazed punk, trying to flush the hippies out into the open…
ROFL !

(Although it was funnier the first time)

I presume you've seen "A Mighty Wind", Christopher Guest's parody of the folk music scene, featuring one of the BBS's leading lights.
Old 14-07-2004, 08:57 AM
Golden Oldie

Ruskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is here
Mojo free CD's are generally excellent compilations; the 60's Immediate label one put out a few years ago was one of the best.

Bert Jansch, John Renbourn - brings back memories of the 60's. First saw them in a church youth club in South Croydon back in 64 or 5 when they had been given a half hour slot. The session lasted for much longer; those guys were seriously good.
Old 14-07-2004, 09:00 AM
Fresh Vince of Hilaire

Psychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I love folk. Nick Drake, Phil Ochs etc are fantastic songwriters
Old 14-07-2004, 09:15 AM
A rare visitor

Al From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is here
"I 'ad 'er, I 'ad 'er, I 'ad 'er, I 'ad 'er, I upped and I 'ad 'er away" Best sung with a finger in one ear whilst wearing a cruffy woolly jumper. Even Gerry Rafferty sussed that it was better to be mainstream!
Old 14-07-2004, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gooders
Never had much time for folk music (assuming I know what it is).

What did it influence Led Zep to do - stuff like Bron Y Aur and Gallows Pole from Led Zep III?
The battle of evermore (I think that is what it's called) on Zep IV. Sandy Denny sang with Fairport Convention and had a very successful solo career as a folk singer.
Old 14-07-2004, 04:57 PM

Nelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is here
Re: Welcome to… BBS Folk Club

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony
Fairport Convention's Matty Groves
Top song from a top album. Leige & Leif (No not THAT Leif!) is a great record. Check out Farewell, Farewell. Sandy Denny's voice is sublime. Mary Black doesn't make a bad job of it either.

Described by CPFC2010 as a Palace hero.

I will happily neg rep anybody who suggests the Whitehorse is made the away fans end.