Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Off Topic Ľ General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

View Poll Results: Red or White Poppy ?
White 14 6.57%
Red 139 65.26%
Both 4 1.88%
Who cares both are fine . 28 13.15%
Moo 28 13.15%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Old 18-10-2017, 02:00 PM

PeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is here
I used to buy them and not wear them.
Old 18-10-2017, 02:14 PM

Yoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by chelmsfordeagle View Post
I don't think people should be forced to wear one while working anymore than women should be forced to wear high heels. Both should be a free choice.
I mentioned the BBC purely because it is the only channel i watch. i sure every other channel is the same.

Slightly different but did a team forget to wear their poppy shirts for a first half of a match last year? there was loads (it might have been a few i don't know) of complaints and they had to apologise and change shirts at half time.
I donít think youíre quite taking on the point that a newsreader is a Ďfaceí of the corporation such as the BBC, and therefore that person has all sorts of expectations with regard to appearance...not just poppies.

So, Huw Edwards will not be reading the news in his shorts, or wearing v obvious logos on his clothing. He knows this when he signs his contract.

The poppies is just part of that whole expectation of a presenter. If theyíre not comfortable with the dress code, then they can always work elsewhere...there are plenty of others v ready to take their place. However, I v much doubt they would lose their job of poppies, so youíre worrying about nothing.

In many ways, news presenters wear Ďa uniformí, just as many other people do in other walks of life.

As Iíve said, when off screen, Huw Edwards would be able to wear, or not wear, whatever he wishes. And BBC staff not on screen have no pressure to wear poppies, in my day there was a collection box in reception and it was entirely up to you whether you bought one. No one so much as rattled a tin at us.
Old 18-10-2017, 03:21 PM
moist

chelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
I donít think youíre quite taking on the point that a newsreader is a Ďfaceí of the corporation such as the BBC, and therefore that person has all sorts of expectations with regard to appearance...not just poppies.

So, Huw Edwards will not be reading the news in his shorts, or wearing v obvious logos on his clothing. He knows this when he signs his contract.

The poppies is just part of that whole expectation of a presenter. If theyíre not comfortable with the dress code, then they can always work elsewhere...there are plenty of others v ready to take their place. However, I v much doubt they would lose their job of poppies, so youíre worrying about nothing.

In many ways, news presenters wear Ďa uniformí, just as many other people do in other walks of life.

As Iíve said, when off screen, Huw Edwards would be able to wear, or not wear, whatever he wishes. And BBC staff not on screen have no pressure to wear poppies, in my day there was a collection box in reception and it was entirely up to you whether you bought one. No one so much as rattled a tin at us.
I fully understand your point. I just don't think wearing a poppy is (or should be) part of a news presenters uniform, disagree that they have an obligation to wear one and would be surprised if wearing one is enforced in a contract, written or unwritten. You comparing wearing a poppy to not wearing shorts kind of illustrates the point that the wearing of a poppy has dramatically changed in recent years.
Old 18-10-2017, 03:30 PM
Semper Idem

Maz has disabled reputation
Quote:
I fully understand your point. I just don't think wearing a poppy is (or should be) part of a news presenters uniform, disagree that they have an obligation to wear one and would be surprised if wearing one is enforced in a contract, written or unwritten.
I am pretty certain that they would be required to uphold the values of the BBC. Which is where the uniform comes in of course, and the poppy.

.פɐppɐ פɐppɐ Hǝʎ

Old 18-10-2017, 03:35 PM
moist

chelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
I am pretty certain that they would be required to uphold the values of the BBC. Which is where the uniform comes in of course, and the poppy.
But when did wearing a poppy become a value (oof the BBC or anywhere else)? and by definition when did not wearing one relate to a lack of values?

A couple of questions for everyone:

Did presenters in the 90s, or the 60s all wear poppies?

Do other countries like Canada, New Zealand etc have the same thing?
Old 18-10-2017, 05:50 PM
Binned by Muderators

Brett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by strolling bones View Post
Well to explain further , i have served and even marched on the rememberance parade . My memory is pretty good,and i have little or no recollection of such a defiance of tradition up until about 3 years ago .. Most of which came from the more left slanting members of british society . Its just another bandwagon for them as far as im concerned , and i find it pretty disrespectful if im honest, an arrogant ignorance of what this means . As do many other ex forces .
"Left slanting". How utterly tedious.

Is it the left-wing Daily Mail, Daily Express etc that foam at the mouth every November when someone is found without a poppy stapled to their lapel?
Old 18-10-2017, 06:37 PM

Yoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is here
Quote:
I fully understand your point. I just don't think wearing a poppy is (or should be) part of a news presenters uniform, disagree that they have an obligation to wear one and would be surprised if wearing one is enforced in a contract, written or unwritten. You comparing wearing a poppy to not wearing shorts kind of illustrates the point that the wearing of a poppy has dramatically changed in recent years.
I can only refer to the BBC from experience, but I know their news presenters wore them back in the 80s. It is not a recent thing at all.

It was you who related wearing poppies to high heels...when the latter is an issue of equality, sexism, comfort etc. To me, thatís not the same at all.

If Huw wore shorts to read the news about a tragedy, people would consider that disrespectful. Many, but not all, would also consider it disrespectful if he read the news on Remembrance Sunday and refused to wear a poppy.

Ofcourse certain expectations with regard to clothing, and conduct, are in a newsreaderís contract. I doubt poppies are specifically in their contract, but there will be a general phrase to do with this sort of thing ( sorry, canít remember what it says now). Iíll be spending time with one next month, so Iíll try to remember to ask him.

Newsreaders know they are there to read the news, not make the news about themselves. They shouldnít seek to be a distraction from the news they are delivering. This would occur if a reader didnít wear a poppy during remembrance. You donít feel that way, but many licence fee payers would be v unhappy...rightly, or wrongly, being a public service broadcaster means the corporation is subject to different expectations. You wouldnít believe the trivia some viewers write in about!

Anyone wishing to be a BBC newsreader would be aware of this sort of scrutiny and Iím sure it would be discussed during the appointment process.

As I said before, my guess would be that a presenter refusing to wear a poppy would probably be scheduled off the rota at that time, but Iíve never heard of a refusal anyway.
Old 18-10-2017, 06:41 PM
cheeks

beef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is here
I used to wear a red one when I wore smarter clothes
Old 18-10-2017, 06:49 PM

Quote:
But when did wearing a poppy become a value (oof the BBC or anywhere else)? and by definition when did not wearing one relate to a lack of values?

A couple of questions for everyone:

Did presenters in the 90s, or the 60s all wear poppies?

Do other countries like Canada, New Zealand etc have the same thing?
BBC newsreaders definitely wore them in the 80s. Canít advise you on the 60s, too young!

Iím pretty sure itís also been practice for people to wear them if they are presenting a live programme on the Saturday that leads up to broadcasting the Royal Albert Hall event. This is why, for example, the presenters of Strictly wear them.
Old 18-10-2017, 07:20 PM
Binned by Muderators

Brett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is here
To view the link you have to Register or Login

Talking of ex-forces and their attitudes to poppy facism...
Old 18-10-2017, 07:34 PM
South Penge Massive

elgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post

The true horror and futility of war is forgotten and ignored," they write.

Can't get much truer than that can you.

Russia demonization. Akin to 1930's Germany.

Who funds the anti russia propaganda site bellingcat? http://newsvideo.su/video/9455566
Pretty obvious really.

Its 'man city' not 'city'. You arent from manchester.
Old 18-10-2017, 08:22 PM
chubby browns joke writer

strolling bones Sam the man is herestrolling bones Sam the man is herestrolling bones Sam the man is herestrolling bones Sam the man is herestrolling bones Sam the man is herestrolling bones Sam the man is herestrolling bones Sam the man is herestrolling bones Sam the man is herestrolling bones Sam the man is herestrolling bones Sam the man is herestrolling bones Sam the man is here
Quote:

If you've ever been anywhere near a conflict you might just possibly understand the feelings ex forces have about keeping it as far from any political shit as possible .. Rememberance is the keyword here ..But you havent so shut your trap..

I'm not perfect i'm Palace, which is like perfect... plus awesome !
Old 18-10-2017, 08:31 PM
Got any nuts?

Wolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is here
Quote:
If you've ever been anywhere near a conflict you might just possibly understand the feelings ex forces have about keeping it as far from any political shit as possible .. Rememberance is the keyword here ..But you havent so shut your trap..
Very helpful. If you donít agree with me shut your trap.

There was me thinking these fellows fought for freedom of speech amongst other worthy ideals.
Old 18-10-2017, 08:42 PM
Dis-Member

Blind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
I dont think this madhouse is representative of the nation . do you ?
Not really no, of course not.

But it clearly shows this was considered an issue for some, 13 years ago.

Iím not disagreeing with your assertion at all, merely the timescale.
Old 18-10-2017, 08:49 PM
Binned by Muderators

Quote:
You’re the one making it political, you twat.
Old 19-10-2017, 06:32 AM
Greatest Mouse Detective

Location: In a post box in the heart of Mayfair, and at Lloyd's
DANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
I can only refer to the BBC from experience, but I know their news presenters wore them back in the 80s. It is not a recent thing at all.

It was you who related wearing poppies to high heels...when the latter is an issue of equality, sexism, comfort etc. To me, thatís not the same at all.

If Huw wore shorts to read the news about a tragedy, people would consider that disrespectful. Many, but not all, would also consider it disrespectful if he read the news on Remembrance Sunday and refused to wear a poppy.

Ofcourse certain expectations with regard to clothing, and conduct, are in a newsreaderís contract. I doubt poppies are specifically in their contract, but there will be a general phrase to do with this sort of thing ( sorry, canít remember what it says now). Iíll be spending time with one next month, so Iíll try to remember to ask him.

Newsreaders know they are there to read the news, not make the news about themselves. They shouldnít seek to be a distraction from the news they are delivering. This would occur if a reader didnít wear a poppy during remembrance. You donít feel that way, but many licence fee payers would be v unhappy...rightly, or wrongly, being a public service broadcaster means the corporation is subject to different expectations. You wouldnít believe the trivia some viewers write in about!

Anyone wishing to be a BBC newsreader would be aware of this sort of scrutiny and Iím sure it would be discussed during the appointment process.

As I said before, my guess would be that a presenter refusing to wear a poppy would probably be scheduled off the rota at that time, but Iíve never heard of a refusal anyway.
The point about the BBC is that they now take it to ludicrous lengths. Essentially all presenters and guests are issued with poppies before appearing, even when it's inappropriate. (By 'inappropriate' I mean for their attire - so, for example, we get the sartorial inelegance of Match of the Day's primary colour informal shirtsleeve vibe being transgressed by them all having poppies pinned over their left tit - a way no one wears them in real life.)
Old 19-10-2017, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANGERMOUSE View Post
The point about the BBC is that they now take it to ludicrous lengths. Essentially all presenters and guests are issued with poppies before appearing, even when it's inappropriate. (By 'inappropriate' I mean for their attire - so, for example, we get the sartorial inelegance of Match of the Day's primary colour informal shirtsleeve vibe being transgressed by them all having poppies pinned over their left tit - a way no one wears them in real life.)
Please could you provide some evidence for your statement that ‘all presenters and guests are issued with poppies before appearing’.

If this were the case, don’t you think the media would have numerous stories about it, especially from any guests?

A quick google in the past revealed one guest on the Andrew Marr show being criticised by a viewer for not wearing a poppy.....so that goes to prove that he wasn’t forced by the BBC or prevented from appearing on their show, and that it was a viewer who complained, not the corporation.

Personally I don’t see the presenters of MOTD wearing a poppy whilst on a live show during Remembrance as ‘inappropriate’, especially on the show that follows the broadcasting of the Festival of Remembrance.

I’m beginning to think that those who don’t wish to wear a poppy are assuming that those who do are being forced to do so, flung to the studio floor so one can be stapled on! Projecting their own reluctance on to others.
Old 19-10-2017, 07:20 AM

strolling bones Sam the man is herestrolling bones Sam the man is herestrolling bones Sam the man is herestrolling bones Sam the man is herestrolling bones Sam the man is herestrolling bones Sam the man is herestrolling bones Sam the man is herestrolling bones Sam the man is herestrolling bones Sam the man is herestrolling bones Sam the man is herestrolling bones Sam the man is here
Quote:
Youíre the one making it political, you twat.
Are you backward ? .. All I've basically said, is its been politicised, ( fact) and that its a huge dissapointment for those involved . Keep politicians and their media management bods out of it , some more than others,and the whole thing will return toits former state.

Old 19-10-2017, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfnipplechips View Post
Very helpful. If you donít agree with me shut your trap.

There was me thinking these fellows fought for freedom of speech amongst other worthy ideals.
Did i say agree with me or else ? .. No i didn't, i pointed out that those of us involved in rememberance who have lost fridnds and family, do not want this hijacked by civvy politico nutjobs. It actually means something to us .unlike some who see it as an oppurtunity to further political ideals ..Hope that clears that up for you ..

Old 19-10-2017, 07:28 AM
Tomato Sausage Muncher

Worksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is here
Totally up to an individual to choose whether they wear one or not. But it certainly shouldn't be a political free for all. That's just disrespectful.

Personally I do wear one and have done so for as long as I can remember. I went to Pegasus Bridge and Ranville cemetery last year and for that reason alone and the feelings and emotion that 3 or so hours brought, I will wear a red poppy every year until I shuffle off