Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Other Sport » World of Sport

Notices

World of Sport Discuss all other sport. Includes betting and gambling threads.

Old 11-01-2019, 01:12 PM

baughurst eagle knows where the wild roses growbaughurst eagle knows where the wild roses growbaughurst eagle knows where the wild roses growbaughurst eagle knows where the wild roses growbaughurst eagle knows where the wild roses growbaughurst eagle knows where the wild roses growbaughurst eagle knows where the wild roses growbaughurst eagle knows where the wild roses growbaughurst eagle knows where the wild roses growbaughurst eagle knows where the wild roses growbaughurst eagle knows where the wild roses grow
very sad that he looks to be at the end of his time in tennis Wimbledon wont be the same for sometime now not having anyone to support
Old 11-01-2019, 01:42 PM

davematt came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdavematt came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdavematt came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdavematt came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdavematt came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdavematt came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdavematt came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdavematt came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdavematt came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdavematt came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdavematt came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
This is a REALLY good article by Jonathan Liew of the Independent.

To view the link you have to Register or Login

I don't think the reality of this will properly sink in till the summer, when we are watching Wimbledon knowing the prospect of another Murray roller-coaster prime time, late evening five set thriller on Centre Court is no long a possibility. And boy, some of them were stressful but bloody fun watching!
Old 11-01-2019, 02:22 PM
So then I says to Mabel

JamTheEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJamTheEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJamTheEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJamTheEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJamTheEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJamTheEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJamTheEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJamTheEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJamTheEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJamTheEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJamTheEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue Eagle View Post
The point generally is that big time sport needs either rivalries or a single superstar to get the public beyond the core fans engaged - which in turn generates media interest and hence sponsorship, prize money etc etc.

Think Hamilton vs Vettel, Tiger vs Phil, Seve vs the whole of the US, McEnroe vs Borg, or equally the Schumacher years in F1 and also the Tiger years in golf. People beyond the aficionados get sucked in - like they do for the Ashes, the 6 Nations, the World Cup, Olympic Curling, but for a long period rather than as in these for the moment.

The recent big 3 and Murray & Wawrinka's striving to join them made great TV, great journalist copy which dragged in casual fans. Lots of others tried to crash the party like Nishikori, Cilic, Berdych, Raonic etc but didn't make it. Del Potro would surely have but couldn't stay fit. At the end of the 2017 season the Tour Final was between Dimitrov and Goffin, hardly what the Tour would have wanted. Thiem and Zverev didn't get out of their groups. That has started to change this year but at the moment there is a gaggle of good young players who the general public has yet to really get to know and get behind. Remember that all 4 Slams went to RF, ND, and RN last year - as have 44 of the last 52 since 2006, with only AM & SW getting more than 1 of the rest. In fact 5 players have taken 50, with no outside winner since Cilic in 2014.

I am sure that during this season - with no Murray, maybe no Nadal, RF fading and Stan still unsure of his fitness, 3 or 4 from the group you name will start to challenge Novak, who I think is still the current lead player. But it is a time of change - not helped by the ATP decision to switch coverage away from FTA & Satellite in favour of Amazon Prime. Golf has a similar issue. Audiences were in the doldrums because the field was too open - Rory, DJ, Speith, Thomas, Koepka, Schauffle, Molinari, Fleetwood, Rose all in the mix. They all had their fans but there was nothing like the buzz of say Phil & Tiger slugging it out over the final 18 of a major. Tiger's tentative renaissance has shifted that.

The one who I think has all the talent, all the game, all the charisma to change the ATP landscape it is Kyrgios, but he just can't get his head together consistently.
Yeah it's true, good post.

Personally though I think Tsitsipas and de Minaur have the best chances of being greats. Tsitsipas has it all, even has the temper and attitude/aggression as well. De Minaur is one of the most exciting players I can remember, the way he stays in points is at times insane, his court coverage is amazing. Have to mention Khachanov too, would love to see him go deep in the Aus Open and have backed him too.

Zverev the obvious one.
Old 11-01-2019, 02:32 PM

kumbuka knows where the wild roses growkumbuka knows where the wild roses growkumbuka knows where the wild roses growkumbuka knows where the wild roses growkumbuka knows where the wild roses growkumbuka knows where the wild roses growkumbuka knows where the wild roses growkumbuka knows where the wild roses growkumbuka knows where the wild roses growkumbuka knows where the wild roses growkumbuka knows where the wild roses grow
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamTheEagle View Post
would love to see him go deep in the Aus Open
Old 11-01-2019, 03:29 PM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Feel so sorry for him. Doesn’t deserve for it to end like this. Has been an absolute inspiration and an example of how far passion and will power can take you. Was unlucky to arrive on the scene at the time of arguably three of the GOAT players yet didn’t back down and not only matched them but beat them too. Had there only been one opponent of that class about, he would’ve won so much more. But the one thing those guys did do was push Andy’s ability further than he ever would’ve needed it to be. Unfortunately, that has also probably led to his early exit from the game.

Worth noting that he was the only one of the top 4 players: Federer, Nadal and Djokovic, that had to beat one of the other greats to win their first Grand Slam title. Not easy. Stayed up in the early hours to watch him win that first Grand Slam - US Open....what a moment. As for Wimbledon...I think like most of us of a certain age watching since we were kids, we never thought we’d see a British winner there, so when the time came it was almost surreal. Have to say, I welled up.

Proud to have met him a few years ago and shaken the great hand. He is certainly the greatest Scottish sportsman of all time, and up there with as good as anyone from these shores. His achievements I believe were that great. And a very nice fella to boot.

“Supporting Palace has a certain cult value – like pretending that some Peruvian rock band is the best in the world.”
- John Peel
Old 11-01-2019, 03:33 PM
moving forward

art malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11 View Post
Feel so sorry for him. Doesn’t deserve for it to end like this. Has been an absolute inspiration and an example of how far passion and will power can take you. Was unlucky to arrive on the scene at the time of arguably three of the GOAT players yet didn’t back down and not only matched them but beat them too. Had there only been one opponent of that class about, he would’ve won so much more. But the one thing those guys did do was push Andy’s ability further than he ever would’ve needed it to be. Unfortunately, that has also probably led to his early exit from the game.

Worth noting that he was the only one of the top 4 players: Federer, Nadal and Djokovic, that had to beat one of the other greats to win their first Grand Slam title. Not easy. Stayed up in the early hours to watch him win that first Grand Slam - US Open....what a moment. As for Wimbledon...I think like most of us of a certain age watching since we were kids, we never thought we’d see a British winner there, so when the time came it was almost surreal. Have to say, I welled up.

Proud to have met him a few years ago and shaken the great hand. He is certainly the greatest Scottish sportsman of all time, and up there with as good as anyone from these shores. His achievements I believe were that great. And a very nice fella to boot.
Amen to that
Old 11-01-2019, 03:37 PM

IanH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIanH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIanH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIanH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIanH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIanH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIanH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIanH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIanH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIanH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIanH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by davematt View Post
I'm sad this morning as a fan. But even more sad for Andy.
Total career earning from tennis - $61 million!

He'll get over it!
Old 11-01-2019, 04:46 PM

greybot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgreybot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgreybot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgreybot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgreybot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgreybot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgreybot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgreybot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgreybot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgreybot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgreybot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanH View Post
Total career earning from tennis - $61 million!

He'll get over it!
His on court demeanor suggested it was never about the money though. He won't ever get that same high from winning a Slam (or Olympic Gold!) again.

https://www.gofundme.com/supporting-katerina
Old 11-01-2019, 06:03 PM
I'm not divorced

Golf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is here
I thought someone had died when they started the news
Old 11-01-2019, 06:14 PM

glenn.f came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietglenn.f came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietglenn.f came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietglenn.f came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietglenn.f came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietglenn.f came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietglenn.f came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietglenn.f came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietglenn.f came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietglenn.f came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietglenn.f came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11 View Post

Brilliant words Bubbs. Staying up through the night to watch him guts out and completely outlast Djokovic in that epic US Open final has to be one of my sporting highlights of my life. For me it's something about the guts of Andy Murray that stand out. That sheer will he shows when he goes out there on court, as well as what he put into his training and then, the attempts to fight back from this injury on the back of those operations leaves me in awe of the man, let alone sportsman. We are so lucky to have a sportsman like him and the guy can shed whatever tears he needs to. I actually hope he pulls out of the Australian Open because i'm not convinced glorious failure is the ideal way out, especially with the possibility of having to quit on his stool.
Old 11-01-2019, 07:34 PM

Windsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is here
Whilst I don't for a second think it remotely likely - what a ******* bow out it would be if he could some how go and win the AO. The tournament where he has been desperately unlucky never to win it.
Old 11-01-2019, 11:36 PM
I'm thinking about it

Eddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor_Eagle View Post
Whilst I don't for a second think it remotely likely - what a ******* bow out it would be if he could some how go and win the AO. The tournament where he has been desperately unlucky never to win it.
Beyond unlikely. I expect he we lose in the first round. But any wins he get will be amazing. Would love to see him bow out at Wimbledon but I think it's unlikely.

He has been great to watch over the years! We have been very lucky to watch him.
Old 12-01-2019, 02:09 PM

foresthillbilly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietforesthillbilly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietforesthillbilly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietforesthillbilly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietforesthillbilly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietforesthillbilly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietforesthillbilly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietforesthillbilly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietforesthillbilly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietforesthillbilly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietforesthillbilly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
AM's achievements are outstanding.
my only issue is with his staunch Scottish nationalism, which even had him being vocal about the Scottish referendum. I thought it slightly disingenuous, as he has spent a large proportion of his career based in South London (Wimbledon), training in English facilities.
Thankfully his PR team persuaded him to adopt a British stance to increase his earning potential

Have been very impressed that he hasn't sought to ride the hype that he was in the Dunblane school as a kid, when that bloke started shooting people dead. He deserves a massive amount of respect for that.

Last edited by foresthillbilly; 12-01-2019 at 02:29 PM.
Old 12-01-2019, 02:15 PM

Windsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie McGoldrick's tash View Post
Beyond unlikely. I expect he we lose in the first round. But any wins he get will be amazing. Would love to see him bow out at Wimbledon but I think it's unlikely.

He has been great to watch over the years! We have been very lucky to watch him.
What do you reckon to no more tournaments until Wimbledon and then apply for a wildcard for that 1 tournament? Do you reckon he could pursue that?
Old 12-01-2019, 02:16 PM
Watching from Warmington

Big Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
What do you reckon to no more tournaments until Wimbledon and then apply for a wildcard for that 1 tournament? Do you reckon he could pursue that?
Not sure he would need a wildcard. His protected ranking would allow him to enter I think.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19232019
Old 12-01-2019, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue Eagle View Post
Not sure he would need a wildcard. His protected ranking would allow him to enter I think.
Would it still be protected by that point?
Old 12-01-2019, 02:20 PM
Watching from Warmington

Big Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by foresthillbilly View Post
AM's achievements are outstanding.
my only issue is with his staunch Scottish nationalism, which even had him being vocal about the Scottish referendum. I thought it slightly disingenuous, was he has spent a large proportion of his career based in South London (Wimbledon), training in English facilities.
Thankfully his PR team persuaded him to adopt a British stance to increase his earning potential

Have been very impressed that he hasn't sought to ride the hype that he was in the Dunblane school as a kid, when that bloke started shooting people dead. He deserves a massive amount of respect for that.
His family live in Scotland, he supports tennis camps in Scotland, he owns a successful luxury hotel in Scotland, he got most DC matches played in Scotland, why should he not be proudly Scottish and have a view on independence? And while he may live around Wimbledon, his early training was in Spain and once he turned pro the vast majority of his off season training has been in Miami.

Old 12-01-2019, 02:23 PM
Watching from Warmington

Quote:
Would it still be protected by that point?
Pretty sure its based on a set number of tournaments over a year rather than any time period. Any he played at Queens last season

Old 12-01-2019, 06:36 PM
Tomato Sausage Muncher

Worksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by foresthillbilly View Post
WTAF ?
Old 12-01-2019, 11:54 PM

rhiannapaul came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrhiannapaul came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrhiannapaul came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrhiannapaul came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrhiannapaul came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrhiannapaul came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrhiannapaul came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrhiannapaul came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrhiannapaul came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrhiannapaul came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrhiannapaul came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Just a decent pro his. Wimbledon wins didnt end the British hoodoo for me he is a sweaty .come on Edmunds step up