Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 12-06-2018, 04:44 PM

PemboExpress : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePemboExpress : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePemboExpress : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePemboExpress : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePemboExpress : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePemboExpress : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePemboExpress : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePemboExpress : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePemboExpress : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePemboExpress : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePemboExpress : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fort Neef View Post
Good article with Simon Osborn and Bobby Bowry recounting their first impressions of Southgate. Includes a lovely anecdote about him throwing up on Noades in a lift after a night on the tequila.

To view the link you have to Register or Login
Excellent article, thanks for sharing.
Old 12-06-2018, 04:44 PM

Billy Gilbert : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBilly Gilbert : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBilly Gilbert : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBilly Gilbert : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBilly Gilbert : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBilly Gilbert : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBilly Gilbert : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBilly Gilbert : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBilly Gilbert : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBilly Gilbert : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBilly Gilbert : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle View Post
Didn't he step up to take that because other players, who should've taken pens, lost their bottle?
Paul Ince bottled it & he called himself the guvnor!
Old 12-06-2018, 05:16 PM
He's got flair and hair

Palace Bear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Bear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Bear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Bear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Bear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Bear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Bear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Bear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Bear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Bear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Bear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Gilbert View Post
Yep then went on to miss himself in '98.

Massive bottle job.
Old 12-06-2018, 05:25 PM
Streams, Speedos & beer.

Maidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Gilbert View Post
Also McManaman, Anderton and Adams.
Old 13-06-2018, 12:10 AM

palace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I think the issue for some with Southgate is

1 - He's openly and Utd fan
2 - He's never been gushing in praise of support for Palace, the team that gave him his chance
3 - His on screen persona is quite dower
4 - The way he left Palace.. he and many others (Chris Coleman) decided to move on due to how the club dealt with Alan Smith, many of who had great loyalty to him for bringing them through the ranks.

Having met him many times and been on many nights out with him at Bon Bonnies! He is far from dower, he is fun, humorous and very smart. Much more intelligent than your average footballer.

Hope he does well, it would make up for that Euro 96 miss! Was there any Palace fan watching that who thought he would score having seen him miss a few for Palace that season. Brave man to put his hand up though... take note Ince, Adams, McManaman, Anderton!
Old 13-06-2018, 12:59 AM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by palace_burger View Post
I think the issue for some with Southgate is

1 - He's openly and Utd fan
2 - He's never been gushing in praise of support for Palace, the team that gave him his chance
3 - His on screen persona is quite dower
4 - The way he left Palace.. he and many others (Chris Coleman) decided to move on due to how the club dealt with Alan Smith, many of who had great loyalty to him for bringing them through the ranks.

Having met him many times and been on many nights out with him at Bon Bonnies! He is far from dower, he is fun, humorous and very smart. Much more intelligent than your average footballer.

Hope he does well, it would make up for that Euro 96 miss! Was there any Palace fan watching that who thought he would score having seen him miss a few for Palace that season. Brave man to put his hand up though... take note Ince, Adams, McManaman, Anderton!
Remember being up at Ipswich. 2-2...last minute we get a penalty...I’m doubly jumping up and down because I backed a 3-2 win at the bookies before the game. As I held my betting slip in hand, I watched Southgate make a complete mess of the penalty. Three years later, this certainly ran through my head as he ran up against Germany.

I also had the pleasure of talking to him at the Mitcham training ground when he was a youngster just pushing into the first team. Talked for ages and I have to say, he was one of the most down to earth players I’ve ever talked to. Seemed genuinely interested in what you were saying and was clearly a very bright young man.

For some reason since leaving Palace over the years, there’s been that perception that he doesn’t have much affection for the place. No one has mentioned yet that he was used by the FA to head up the unfair new academy category thing (FFRP?) a few years ago that quite clearly gave advantage to bigger clubs and put clubs like us, in the Championship at the time, at a very clear disadvantage. Can’t remember the technicalities now but it meant that we could lose some of our top kids coming through to big clubs for little reward.

Parish was obviously very vocal about his feelings against the system and I think it was Hol radio that had both Parish and Southgate discussing it. Gareth was clearly no match for Parish, and Parish basically ripped poor Gareth apart...nicely though. Was quite clear that Gareth was just acting as an FA yes man and doing their bidding, no matter how unfair it was to our grassroots game.

Do wish him well this summer though, but personally, feel he has serious limitations as a club manager never mind international. My belief is that once we progress to the latter rounds and play a half decent side, he’ll be found out by a more experienced and adept opposition manager.

“Supporting Palace has a certain cult value – like pretending that some Peruvian rock band is the best in the world.”
- John Peel
Old 13-06-2018, 02:27 AM
Shields Utd Futsal Club

Location: Between Jamaica and St Maarten but Sutton for the summer
Timbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is here
Thx for the summaries and anecdotes, Bubbs and Burger, interesting reading!
Old 13-06-2018, 08:57 AM

Carlise Few : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCarlise Few : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCarlise Few : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCarlise Few : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCarlise Few : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCarlise Few : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCarlise Few : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCarlise Few : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCarlise Few : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCarlise Few : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCarlise Few : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
It's quite interesting how such a mild mannered young man can provoke such polar reactions.

Is this one of the things we like about football? There are so many different ways to be a good manager.

Allardyce followed by Southgate suggests a bit of a swing in the sort of profile of manager wanted by the FA.
Old 13-06-2018, 08:59 AM

Spindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFBias View Post

Im sure he doesnt regret it. Ivory Coast will play in plenty of tournaments in the future.

And have a chance of winning
Old 13-06-2018, 12:05 PM

Richard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlise Few View Post
Allardyce followed by Southgate suggests a bit of a swing in the sort of profile of manager wanted by the FA.
Or a severe paucity of choice. Thanks again, Premier League ...
Old 13-06-2018, 12:20 PM

andyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is here
I consider Southgate a bit like I did with Roy before he came to us last season. Dour and uninspiring but I have to say, he’s quite impressed me in the same way (although not as much yet) I was impressed with Roy. Hard to judge him really until the WC is over but I have grown to quite like him with the way he conducts himself and openly speaks. Time will tell exactly how good he is at his job. I think a lot of the nation are warming to him as it stands.
Old 13-06-2018, 03:58 PM

old traf : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineold traf : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineold traf : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineold traf : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineold traf : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineold traf : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineold traf : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineold traf : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineold traf : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineold traf : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineold traf : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFBias View Post
I just dont know what people want from ex-players, newsflash they dont love the club as much as us. He is now in a different phase of his career, and has to be impartial, so why would he be banging on about Palace when he is under the most pressure he has ever been in since stepping up to the spot in '96.
he has only been England manager for a few years, been about 25 years as a non England manager , without a whimper regarding Palace, don't think he has ever been back to S.P.
Old 13-06-2018, 04:06 PM

old traf : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineold traf : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineold traf : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineold traf : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineold traf : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineold traf : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineold traf : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineold traf : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineold traf : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineold traf : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineold traf : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle View Post
Didn't he step up to take that because other players, who should've taken pens, lost their bottle?
The media even to this day call it a miss, but it was a save by the goal keeper, Woddle and i think Hoddle didn't even make the keeper make a save, blazed high and wide, but nothing is ever said about there DREADFUL misses.
Old 13-06-2018, 04:11 PM

palace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11 View Post
Parish was obviously very vocal about his feelings against the system and I think it was Hol radio that had both Parish and Southgate discussing it. Gareth was clearly no match for Parish, and Parish basically ripped poor Gareth apart...nicely though. Was quite clear that Gareth was just acting as an FA yes man and doing their bidding, no matter how unfair it was to our grassroots game.
I would love to listen to this podcast if anyone knows if it is still available.
Old 13-06-2018, 04:19 PM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Didn't Southgate appear in a commercial later poking fun at his own "miss"? I want to say it was for a pizza.
Old 13-06-2018, 04:31 PM

PemboExpress : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePemboExpress : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePemboExpress : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePemboExpress : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePemboExpress : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePemboExpress : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePemboExpress : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePemboExpress : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePemboExpress : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePemboExpress : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePemboExpress : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
Didn't Southgate appear in a commercial later poking fun at his own "miss"? I want to say it was for a pizza.
Correct. Along with Stuart Pearce.
Old 13-06-2018, 05:14 PM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Oh yeah... (and Waddle):

To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 13-06-2018, 05:24 PM

Bryan Sam the man is hereBryan Sam the man is hereBryan Sam the man is hereBryan Sam the man is hereBryan Sam the man is hereBryan Sam the man is hereBryan Sam the man is hereBryan Sam the man is hereBryan Sam the man is hereBryan Sam the man is hereBryan Sam the man is here
I think he’s just been convieniently painted as a bit of a “drip” by the media and like with Roy we have all fallen for it. I think that’s partly the way he speaks in interviews where sometimes he just appears a bit geeky.

Clearly he’s not and the England job and the profile that goes along with that is showing he’s not.

Obviously the media are already sharpening their knives though.
Old 13-06-2018, 05:30 PM
Watching Paint Dry

WorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
I think he’s just been convieniently painted as a bit of a “drip” by the media and like with Roy we have all fallen for it. I think that’s partly the way he speaks in interviews where sometimes he just appears a bit geeky.

Clearly he’s not and the England job and the profile that goes along with that is showing he’s not.

Obviously the media are already sharpening their knives though.
Always looks like he's on the verge of bursting into tears to me.
Old 13-06-2018, 08:47 PM

CPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is here
Why does it matter he is a Man Utd fan??

Zaha went and played for them and nobody cared less. Just seems like people try to find anything to have a go at the guy.