Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Other Sport Ľ World of Football

Notices

World of Football All non Palace football talk - includes latest scores on Internationals and matches that affect palace.

Old 09-07-2018, 09:57 AM
Vive La Revolution

Shoreditch CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietShoreditch CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietShoreditch CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietShoreditch CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietShoreditch CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietShoreditch CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietShoreditch CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietShoreditch CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietShoreditch CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietShoreditch CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietShoreditch CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I enjoyed it. If he has a stormer for Toulouse next season then he is nailed on to come back. Should be about the football he produces though not what he might do if xyz.
Old 09-07-2018, 10:30 AM
Werkself

Latvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is here
Very good humble interview.
Old 10-07-2018, 10:06 PM
Shields Utd Futsal Club

Location: Between Jamaica and St Maarten but Sutton for the summer
Timbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle View Post
I had to stop watching as the tears of contrition pouring from my eyes made it hard to see the screen.
Is it because he's one of our own (albeit a bit fallen)
Old 11-07-2018, 03:03 AM
Chubby Chops balls drop

redandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is here
I am probably in a minority ...

I do think he came accross as a humble decent guy but is that becuase it is his nature or because he has had to for the way in which his career has gone you can’t surely be loaned out to a load of mediocre clubs and still be arrogant can you ? I wonder if he had gone on to score 30 goals at Spurs and had a glittering career would he be the same or has he had to adapt ?

In the interview there was nothing about what Palace did for him as a kid and for his family, the opportunity and investment that was made, I may be wrong but I thought Palace paid for his parents house. This was about him being advised wrongly by his people and possibly Keith Curl but no appreciation for Palace, sure he loved it as a fan but nothing else and felt no debt for the 10 years they invested in hi,pm. There seemed to be remorse for what happened to him but not for Palace, he did not seem to think that he owed Palace anything which I think he did.

I don’t know how he could possibly think that just as he was starting to play for the first team that he would not get game time and that if all he really wanted to do was play football why he or his dad etc thought this would be more likely to happen at Spurs. I have no doubt it was money that turned his and his family,s head but of course he would not say that.

I think he was very well advised what to say in this interview, sure he was young and I do understand that and of course we can’t expect a 15 year old to make the right decision but I don’t quite see this video as other people do and wonder what it would be like had he made it.
"And then when it was all over, a thousand Palace fans stayed on to applaud their side's warm-down and the strains of Glad All Over crashed out across Selhurst. Daft little tune .......brave little team"

Sunday Mail 7/11/2004 after 1-1 with Arsenal

Last edited by redandblue; 11-07-2018 at 03:05 AM.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:52 AM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
As i said before, I think Micky Hazard was probably very instrumental in Bostock’s family’s decision. IIRC, Hazard left our academy coaching set up under a cloud and acrimony with Simon Jordan. No doubt the advice he gave to the Bostock’s was also in part motivated by the fact he’d be helping take Simon Jordan’s ‘crown jewel’ away from him. The fact that it was Hazard’s old stomping ground that Bostock was taken away to is all too much of a coincidence for me. I believe Arsenal and Chelsea both thought they were in with a chance of securing Bostock, but ended up at Spurs.

ďSupporting Palace has a certain cult value Ė like pretending that some Peruvian rock band is the best in the world.Ē
- John Peel
Old 11-07-2018, 11:52 AM

No.16 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNo.16 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNo.16 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNo.16 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNo.16 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNo.16 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNo.16 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNo.16 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNo.16 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNo.16 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNo.16 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
With all the 'it's coming home' memes flying around, I was reminded of this corker from a decade ago: To view the link you have to Register or Login

Mean spirited I know, but in fairness I've praised him earlier on in the thread and it still tickles me...
Old 11-07-2018, 12:28 PM

switchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by redandblue View Post

I do think he came accross as a humble decent guy but is that becuase it is his nature or because he has had to for the way in which his career has gone you canít surely be loaned out to a load of mediocre clubs and still be arrogant can you ? I wonder if he had gone on to score 30 goals at Spurs and had a glittering career would he be the same or has he had to adapt ?

In the interview there was nothing about what Palace did for him as a kid and for his family, the opportunity and investment that was made, I may be wrong but I thought Palace paid for his parents house. This was about him being advised wrongly by his people and possibly Keith Curl but no appreciation for Palace, sure he loved it as a fan but nothing else and felt no debt for the 10 years they invested in hi,pm. There seemed to be remorse for what happened to him but not for Palace, he did not seem to think that he owed Palace anything which I think he did.

I donít know how he could possibly think that just as he was starting to play for the first team that he would not get game time and that if all he really wanted to do was play football why he or his dad etc thought this would be more likely to happen at Spurs. I have no doubt it was money that turned his and his family,s head but of course he would not say that.

I think he was very well advised what to say in this interview, sure he was young and I do understand that and of course we canít expect a 15 year old to make the right decision but I donít quite see this video as other people do and wonder what it would be like had he made it.
The club recieved £700k for him which probably returned the investment and a little bit more even though we were robbed.
"Every time a new player comes to the club I always try to make them understand what it means to play for Crystal Palace. It's a place unlike other clubs, the fans they're just incredible and I want them to understand that. It's part of my job as a senior player to make sure they know what it is and the passion behind it." - Speroni
Old 11-07-2018, 04:19 PM
Chubby Chops balls drop

redandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by switchboard View Post
The club recieved £700k for him which probably returned the investment and a little bit more even though we were robbed.
I understand this and whilst this may compensate directly for JB you get one JB for every I donít know 200 boys so this money would not cover the development if you work on the profit expected over the whole program
"And then when it was all over, a thousand Palace fans stayed on to applaud their side's warm-down and the strains of Glad All Over crashed out across Selhurst. Daft little tune .......brave little team"

Old 11-07-2018, 04:30 PM

GanbareWashi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGanbareWashi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGanbareWashi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGanbareWashi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGanbareWashi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGanbareWashi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGanbareWashi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGanbareWashi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGanbareWashi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGanbareWashi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGanbareWashi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by No.16 View Post
With all the 'it's coming home' memes flying around, I was reminded of this corker from a decade ago: To view the link you have to Register or Login

Mean spirited I know, but in fairness I've praised him earlier on in the thread and it still tickles me...
Don't worry, we still have Kuqi! LOL
Old 11-07-2018, 06:48 PM
Streams, Speedos & beer.

Maidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:

I do think he came accross as a humble decent guy but is that becuase it is his nature or because he has had to for the way in which his career has gone you canít surely be loaned out to a load of mediocre clubs and still be arrogant can you ? I wonder if he had gone on to score 30 goals at Spurs and had a glittering career would he be the same or has he had to adapt ?

I donít know how he could possibly think that just as he was starting to play for the first team that he would not get game time and that if all he really wanted to do was play football why he or his dad etc thought this would be more likely to happen at Spurs. I have no doubt it was money that turned his and his family,s head but of course he would not say that.

I think he was very well advised what to say in this interview, sure he was young and I do understand that and of course we canít expect a 15 year old to make the right decision but I donít quite see this video as other people do and wonder what it would be like had he made it.
A very well thought out and reasonable post.

Join the "Maidstoned for mod!" campaign
Old 11-07-2018, 07:05 PM

Eaglesmad123 Sam the man is hereEaglesmad123 Sam the man is hereEaglesmad123 Sam the man is hereEaglesmad123 Sam the man is hereEaglesmad123 Sam the man is hereEaglesmad123 Sam the man is hereEaglesmad123 Sam the man is hereEaglesmad123 Sam the man is hereEaglesmad123 Sam the man is hereEaglesmad123 Sam the man is hereEaglesmad123 Sam the man is here
Quote:

I think your over thinking things. He was a lad who played a handful of games for the first team. He was hardly Zidane or Beckham. Maybe its time people moved on. Why is this to some a massive part of CPFC history. Over 10 years on people are still angry. Have you ever moved jobs or changed career for more money. John is a top bloke and does not deserve the hate some people give him.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:36 PM
Chubby Chops balls drop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesmad123 View Post
I think your over thinking things. He was a lad who played a handful of games for the first team. He was hardly Zidane or Beckham. Maybe its time people moved on. Why is this to some a massive part of CPFC history. Over 10 years on people are still angry. Have you ever moved jobs or changed career for more money. John is a top bloke and does not deserve the hate some people give him.
I have actually changed career twice both times for more happiness and less money.

He was to become a start that is what everyone thought us, him, Palace and of course Spurs,.

I like most can only dream about what I would have done had I been given the ability to play for Palace but my view is that he and his family took everything from palace claimed to love te club and then stuck up two fingers up as soon as their heads were turned. Let’s not forget that part of the investment in him was from my season tickets so I actually have a right to think what I want of him. Maybe if he had stayed we would have done better or got a fair price and avoided administration who knows.

I don’t know John he comes across well in that interview and let’s not kid ourselves he is not going to say in an interview he left Rome money and laughed at palace and showed what they did in their faces. there are hundreds of good blokes that don’t have his ability he had and wasted it.

Last edited by redandblue; 11-07-2018 at 09:38 PM.
Old 12-07-2018, 07:13 AM

Eaglesmad123 Sam the man is hereEaglesmad123 Sam the man is hereEaglesmad123 Sam the man is hereEaglesmad123 Sam the man is hereEaglesmad123 Sam the man is hereEaglesmad123 Sam the man is hereEaglesmad123 Sam the man is hereEaglesmad123 Sam the man is hereEaglesmad123 Sam the man is hereEaglesmad123 Sam the man is hereEaglesmad123 Sam the man is here
Quote:
I have actually changed career twice both times for more happiness and less money.

He was to become a start that is what everyone thought us, him, Palace and of course Spurs,.

I like most can only dream about what I would have done had I been given the ability to play for Palace but my view is that he and his family took everything from palace claimed to love te club and then stuck up two fingers up as soon as their heads were turned. Letís not forget that part of the investment in him was from my season tickets so I actually have a right to think what I want of him. Maybe if he had stayed we would have done better or got a fair price and avoided administration who knows.

I donít know John he comes across well in that interview and letís not kid ourselves he is not going to say in an interview he left Rome money and laughed at palace and showed what they did in their faces. there are hundreds of good blokes that donít have his ability he had and wasted it.
I get the fact your hurt but isnt it time to move on
Old 12-07-2018, 08:10 AM
Wondering why it matters!

Martin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is here
Quote:

I like most can only dream about what I would have done had I been given the ability to play for Palace but my view is that he and his family took everything from palace claimed to love te club and then stuck up two fingers up as soon as their heads were turned. Letís not forget that part of the investment in him was from my season tickets so I actually have a right to think what I want of him. Maybe if he had stayed we would have done better or got a fair price and avoided administration who knows.

I donít know John he comes across well in that interview and letís not kid ourselves he is not going to say in an interview he left Rome money and laughed at palace and showed what they did in their faces. there are hundreds of good blokes that donít have his ability he had and wasted it.
You have the 'right' to whatever view you want but it's not because of your season ticket investment because you probably have contributed about 50p-£1 towards his development if that. Season tickets are just a way for you to buy your tickets at a discount to watch Palace. It's not a donation or investment that you are making.

You do come across as being bitter over this still. We were all seriously p****d off at the time and the way it was reported etc made it feel worse I am sure but it probably is time to give the guy himself a bit of a break. I agree he is hardly going to paint a negative picture but I doubt he was faking his love for Palace. He sounded like a fan.

Just a thought, but it seems that you worked somewhere and then left to do something else (twice at least). So that business lost the time and experience that they had in you and perhaps you would have gone onto be outstanding and hugely valuable to them. It's not as different as it sounds at first. I think you are projecting your fan's perspective onto someone making a living/career in football. We all do it - but you do seem to be holding onto this one. Maybe give the guy a break - I am sure Buddha had something wise to say on this.
Old 12-07-2018, 09:16 AM
Streams, Speedos & beer.

Maidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is here
Buddha said "don't listen to your dad and curly haired Tottenham fans/ex players"

Join the "Maidstoned for mod!" campaign
Old 12-07-2018, 12:32 PM
100% behind SP

tasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is here
All this happened whilst he was a boy. 15 going on 16. At that age the hardest decision I was making was whether to spend my weekly chore money on FHM or a few Toffee Crisps.

It was ludicrous at the time to hold anything against someone so young. Let alone a decade later.
Old 12-07-2018, 01:42 PM

Yoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is here
What an interesting interview, very worthwhile watching.

Firstly, I think he shows genuine emotion on seeing his old view and seat in the Arthur Wait. And he twice says that he 100% regrets leaving Palace...fair does to the guy, he could easily have tried to fudge that answer.

As a parent of a 15 year old, I can absolutely agree that teenagers can be easily swayed by the adults around them and that if those he trusts (parents, agent etc) are saying go to Spurs, it could be your once in a lifetime opportunity, that the kid is v likely to follow that advice. He said he came home from school and was told to quickly sign the Spurs contract, which I doubt he even read properly.

So I increasingly feel that his dad in particular is to blame for what happened, even if John himself is v loyal to him and stops short of saying that himself. There’s little doubt in my mind that the adults involved followed the bling that we’ve heard Spurs threw at them. I expect they did hope it’d work out wonderfully for John too, but it was a gamble that they didn’t need to take at that stage.

As a parent, I could imagine myself making a similar decision....however, I’m sure we would have also tried to behave in an honourable way towards Palace and Simon Jordan, who had invested so much in my son. Their departure was utterly self-centred, and the Bostock family could have behaved better, particularly at a time when Palace had limited finances.

But, having seen that heartfelt interview and given the passage of time, I do feel softer towards John himself now. I agree with others that I’d happily sit with him at a Palace match now, as he’s a genuine fan.

But what did occur to me whilst watching that video was that he could make a great coach. His life experiences (not just at Palace), his love of football and his mature, articulate manner have made him engaging and interesting.

Maybe his Palace destiny is not to be a great player for us, but maybe to be a great coach, who can relate to the local South London lads. Inspiring them, but also warning them about the dangers of, like Icarus, flying too high too soon.

Prodigal sons can make the best teachers.
Old 12-07-2018, 01:45 PM
Climbing for dollars

Reps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasty_snacks View Post
All this happened whilst he was a boy. 15 going on 16. At that age the hardest decision I was making was whether to spend my weekly chore money on FHM or a few Toffee Crisps.

It was ludicrous at the time to hold anything against someone so young. Let alone a decade later.
You cant just leave us hanging... which did you choose?
Old 12-07-2018, 01:47 PM
Otis McOtis

Thanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Easy to be cynical about this interview but I feel that Bostock came across as a decent guy who acknowledges the past and has tried to move on, not always successfully. I hope he will get a decent welcome on his return with Toulouse and no booing.

Hot summer's day and sticky black tarmac, feeding ducks in the park and wishing you were far away -
Paul Weller
Old 12-07-2018, 02:01 PM
Up On The Triangle

fang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is here
I can't remember seeing play for Palace more than two or three times. I'd be interested to know from anyone who has either seen him play recently or is able to offer an objective view as to how good he is now? Is he premiership standard ? Would he make a good Championship player or are we talking somewhere below that?