Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Crystal Palace Football Club General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 16-03-2018, 09:12 AM
Watching Paint Dry

WorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastend eagle View Post
Funny enough I remember the opposite as being true - he used to miss just as many chances as he scored, but he'd be through so many times with his pace and movement that he seemed to create dozens of chances per game! (Bit of exaggeration on the last point).
Ha maybe I don't remember the misses!
Old 16-03-2018, 09:21 AM
Lovely

brighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is here
He didn't start his career with us very well iirc. Lots of pace and effort but not much in the way of a finish. We felt at that point that we'd not got the better end of the deal that saw aj join us as a makeweight in the Clinton deal. Then it suddenly all clicked for him and he couldn't stop scoring.

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/will-swain
Old 16-03-2018, 09:46 AM
Got my eagle eye on you.

smileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by brighton_eagle View Post
He didn't start his career with us very well iirc. Lots of pace and effort but not much in the way of a finish. We felt at that point that we'd not got the better end of the deal that saw aj join us as a makeweight in the Clinton deal. Then it suddenly all clicked for him and he couldn't stop scoring.
It was the Brighton game that changed it all - followed by a Walsall away where he did it again.

Happy days.
Old 16-03-2018, 10:14 AM
Pant wetting Mavis

Pub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by smileysmith View Post
It was the Brighton game that changed it all - followed by a Walsall away where he did it again.

Happy days.
Not totally true - He still stuttured for goals that's season - 14 in total with 6 in 2 games. So not bad but not totally convincing as the season went on.

The turning point was under Kember - He played him almost as an attacking midfielder behind Freedman and Ships but although he started to play well and every week, we were too exposed and when Kit Symoins came in he bravely dropped Freedman and put AJ and Ships up front - then he flew!

Last edited by Pub Idol; 16-03-2018 at 10:21 AM.
Old 16-03-2018, 10:24 AM
Pant wetting Mavis

Pub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is here
He missed pens sometimes and missed the odd chance - But he was a very good finisher. He was deadly actually. I think that anyone that scores 30 goals in a season (championship or not) is a very very good player - Thought the same with Glenn Murray. If you score 20 then that's excellent - But 30+ and that's proof you are a class act.
Old 16-03-2018, 10:26 AM
Otis McOtis

Thanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
AJ's work rate was amazing. Never stopped running and chasing down lost causes.

Hot summer's day and sticky black tarmac, feeding ducks in the park and wishing you were far away -
Paul Weller
Old 16-03-2018, 10:29 AM
Streams, Speedos & beer.

Maidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub Idol View Post
He missed pens sometimes and missed the odd chance - But he was a very good finisher. He was deadly actually. I think that anyone that scores 30 goals in a season (championship or not) is a very very good player - Thought the same with Glenn Murray. If you score 20 then that's excellent - But 30+ and that's proof you are a class act.
His penalty taking wasn't the best, almost everytime they went straight down the middle.
Old 16-03-2018, 11:14 AM
Lovely

brighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub Idol View Post
Not totally true - He still stuttured for goals that's season - 14 in total with 6 in 2 games. So not bad but not totally convincing as the season went on.
I think it's true in terms of getting the fans behind him. Prior to that Brighton game, there was a general sense of impatience with him. Clinton had gone the other way in that deal, and a lot of us felt we'd been stitched up with their cast offs. Then the Brighton 5-0 happened and AJ became a cult hero.
Old 16-03-2018, 11:49 AM
Pant wetting Mavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by brighton_eagle View Post
I think it's true in terms of getting the fans behind him. Prior to that Brighton game, there was a general sense of impatience with him. Clinton had gone the other way in that deal, and a lot of us felt we'd been stitched up with their cast offs. Then the Brighton 5-0 happened and AJ became a cult hero.
Oh yes of course - had he stopped then he would have gone down in folklore.
Old 16-03-2018, 12:02 PM
N14 and not so proud...

SOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is here
AJ is the only center forward that gets close to Markie Bright in terms of being not just a great striker for us, in multiple divisions, but also an all-round good egg. Even though his most recent spell with us was a let down, just to see him in the red and blue again was a thrill. I dreamt once he was playing with Matt Jansen behind and Lombardo and Salako on the wings. Suffice to say waking up was not fun.
Old 16-03-2018, 10:05 PM

Hadham Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHadham Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHadham Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHadham Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHadham Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHadham Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHadham Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHadham Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHadham Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHadham Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHadham Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Back in April 2003, I was working in Brum and stayed at an hotel near the Villa training ground. I met another resident, ex Wolves player who worked for the Villa youth academy at the time. He spotted my Palace polo shirt, we got talking and he asked what I thought of AJ. I said I was pleased so far and he then said, wait for it, believe me the best is yet to come!

Turns out Villa wanted him but Birmingham beat them to it years before. I would love to meet that fella again and tell him he was spot on!

Gerry Ford was that guy, played for Wolves in the Dougan times though not well known