Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Other Sport World of Sport

Notices

World of Sport Discuss all other sport. Includes betting and gambling threads.

Old 22-06-2015, 12:27 PM
Between matches

MasterYoda came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMasterYoda came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMasterYoda came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMasterYoda came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMasterYoda came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMasterYoda came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMasterYoda came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMasterYoda came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMasterYoda came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMasterYoda came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMasterYoda came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Great work. It's an incredible experience when you get the job done at the end.
Old 22-06-2015, 12:31 PM

CaterhamEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaterhamEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaterhamEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaterhamEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaterhamEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaterhamEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaterhamEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaterhamEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaterhamEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaterhamEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaterhamEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko View Post
"Keith Jackson, you are an Ironman!"
Completed Ironman Cairns on Sunday in a brutal 16hrs 7mins. Choppy seas and relentless headwind on the bike made it an extra long day!
But running down that finish chute was one of the most emotional moments of my life.
Unbelievable achievement. I've always wondered, how on earth do you train for Ironman distance??
Old 22-06-2015, 01:35 PM
Between matches

MasterYoda came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMasterYoda came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMasterYoda came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMasterYoda came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMasterYoda came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMasterYoda came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMasterYoda came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMasterYoda came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMasterYoda came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMasterYoda came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMasterYoda came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
You don't have a six month old let me tell you!

But essentially you cycle a lot! Swim a bit. Run a bit. And cycle some more.
Old 23-06-2015, 10:39 AM
Between matches

Staffs race report To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 23-06-2015, 12:50 PM

CaterhamEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaterhamEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaterhamEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaterhamEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaterhamEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaterhamEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaterhamEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaterhamEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaterhamEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaterhamEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaterhamEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterYoda View Post
You don't have a six month old let me tell you!

But essentially you cycle a lot! Swim a bit. Run a bit. And cycle some more.
Ha!

I still don't get how you can run a marathon after all that swim and bike on 'a bit' of running... maybe one day I'll find out.
Old 24-06-2015, 09:51 AM
Between matches

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaterhamEagle View Post
Ha!

I still don't get how you can run a marathon after all that swim and bike on 'a bit' of running... maybe one day I'll find out.
There's a big difference in those competing and those completing.

If you are a half decent swimmer the distance there is not a big deal - many swim that every morning. The bike is the big one, most don't ever cycle that distance and it's a long time in the saddle.

The run, assuming you've managed the above can always be a walk. If you meet the bike cutoff then a quick walk will get you home in time so any running on top is a bonus.

I'd contest that most people with the right mental strength and say 8 hours a week to dedicate to training with a few longer weeks for big rides can do an ironman. Not well, but under 17 hours.
Old 01-07-2015, 10:05 AM

OriginalNutter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOriginalNutter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOriginalNutter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOriginalNutter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOriginalNutter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOriginalNutter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOriginalNutter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOriginalNutter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOriginalNutter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOriginalNutter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOriginalNutter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Oh Lordy! I'm doing a Sprint Triathlon at Dorney Lake this Friday and my wave goes off at 11.45am. If its not bad enough being a 15 stone+ fat boy trying to get round, It's going to be 100 times worse in this heat. The run is going to be a killer.

Last edited by OriginalNutter; 01-07-2015 at 11:18 AM.
Old 01-07-2015, 10:23 AM

Jammy is dancing like John the Baptist, telling me you're gonna take me to the Promised LandJammy is dancing like John the Baptist, telling me you're gonna take me to the Promised LandJammy is dancing like John the Baptist, telling me you're gonna take me to the Promised LandJammy is dancing like John the Baptist, telling me you're gonna take me to the Promised LandJammy is dancing like John the Baptist, telling me you're gonna take me to the Promised LandJammy is dancing like John the Baptist, telling me you're gonna take me to the Promised LandJammy is dancing like John the Baptist, telling me you're gonna take me to the Promised LandJammy is dancing like John the Baptist, telling me you're gonna take me to the Promised LandJammy is dancing like John the Baptist, telling me you're gonna take me to the Promised LandJammy is dancing like John the Baptist, telling me you're gonna take me to the Promised LandJammy is dancing like John the Baptist, telling me you're gonna take me to the Promised Land
Nice and flat at Dorney.

Have fun.
Old 08-07-2015, 06:32 PM
Where am i

Ollie Ox : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOllie Ox : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOllie Ox : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOllie Ox : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOllie Ox : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOllie Ox : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOllie Ox : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOllie Ox : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOllie Ox : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOllie Ox : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOllie Ox : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I usually post on the bike thread but the bike broke down last week and I've been amazed at how far my running has come along so I'm tempted to try something like a sprint triathlon to see how it goes. Not going to be majorly competitive just to get round. The only issue is swimming which is pretty shocking at the mo. Trying to do front crawl might be the hardest thing I've ever attempted. Amy tips for how,long it might take to get half decent at it if I go three times a week?
Old 08-07-2015, 07:29 PM
SwimBikeRun!

Jacko : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJacko : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJacko : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJacko : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJacko : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJacko : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJacko : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJacko : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJacko : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJacko : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJacko : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I went from complete non-swimmer to Ironman in 18 months.
But the cycle was the hardest section!

FOR F**K'S SAKE, MURRAY!!
Old 08-07-2015, 08:45 PM
Where am i

Ollie Ox : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOllie Ox : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOllie Ox : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOllie Ox : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOllie Ox : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOllie Ox : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOllie Ox : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOllie Ox : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOllie Ox : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOllie Ox : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOllie Ox : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko View Post
I went from complete non-swimmer to Ironman in 18 months.
But the cycle was the hardest section!

That's encouraging I only want to do a mid distance at best at the mo and cycling is pretty much good already. Can't even do 1 length front crawl at the moment. I think I'll get some lessons to kick off
Old 12-08-2015, 10:20 AM

BR5 Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBR5 Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBR5 Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBR5 Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBR5 Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBR5 Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBR5 Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBR5 Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBR5 Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBR5 Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBR5 Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Just entered my first middle distance triathlon with a plan on Ironmanning in 2017. Doing the Outlaw Half in May. 1.2 mile swim (not too much more than a tri), 56 on the bike and then a cheeky half marathon to finish. Really looking forward to it.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:33 AM

Johnnydev66 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJohnnydev66 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJohnnydev66 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJohnnydev66 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJohnnydev66 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJohnnydev66 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJohnnydev66 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJohnnydev66 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJohnnydev66 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJohnnydev66 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJohnnydev66 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Question for anyone who's done Hever. For the run, what will I need in terms of footwear? I hear it's part on tarmac and part on the grass trails, should I be looking for anything other than my normal running shoes?

http://www.justgiving.com/Johnny-Devereaux2018
Old 12-08-2015, 10:56 AM
Between matches

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR5 Eagle View Post
Just entered my first middle distance triathlon with a plan on Ironmanning in 2017. Doing the Outlaw Half in May. 1.2 mile swim (not too much more than a tri), 56 on the bike and then a cheeky half marathon to finish. Really looking forward to it.
Got my entry in too - 3rd half for me, 2nd time at outlaw half.
Old 13-08-2015, 02:35 PM

BR5 Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBR5 Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBR5 Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBR5 Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBR5 Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBR5 Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBR5 Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBR5 Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBR5 Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBR5 Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBR5 Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
In terms of stepping up how different is it to an Olympic? For me it's quite kind as the swim (my weakest discipline) only increases by a few hundred metres.
Old 14-08-2015, 09:14 AM

Enfield eagle is like ice, their footing does betrayEnfield eagle is like ice, their footing does betrayEnfield eagle is like ice, their footing does betrayEnfield eagle is like ice, their footing does betrayEnfield eagle is like ice, their footing does betrayEnfield eagle is like ice, their footing does betrayEnfield eagle is like ice, their footing does betrayEnfield eagle is like ice, their footing does betrayEnfield eagle is like ice, their footing does betrayEnfield eagle is like ice, their footing does betrayEnfield eagle is like ice, their footing does betray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnydev66 View Post
Question for anyone who's done Hever. For the run, what will I need in terms of footwear? I hear it's part on tarmac and part on the grass trails, should I be looking for anything other than my normal running shoes?
Did it last year, its a real mixture, you start on well trodden grass leaving the transition area and run along a chute to a point where you meet runners starting their second lap coming down from a bridge over the bike in/out. Watch out as they cut you up totally and cause you to stop as its narrow.

Once timing this part well, you then have to run up a steep mud track to a uneven grass path. This point was well populated with Japanese tourists walking along the same path and stopping to take photos so watch were you fred and keep up a rhythm if you can.

There is a water station at the end of the path where those doing longer Gauntlet run go to the right whilst the sprint / olympic go to the left down through the woods. This is all dirt and whilst great for running fast, I did see someone stack it over a tree root. Army cadets populate this bit telling you to be careful.

Once you have run down to the lake, you then run on concrete path for a few hundred metres, again shared with members of the public, some with pushchairs along narrow paths. Over a wooden slippery bridge (even when dry) and to the turn back towards the castle and transition area. Past the other water station (empty last year on the first lap when stupidly hot) and along a long grass drag back to the castle.

Round the back of the castle, where you rejoin concrete path through the castle grounds before going through a very naughty steep short section through the gardens, and back on the grass to drop down to the main area. Turn right to go over the bridge and around again for the Olympic distance, remembering to elbow someone when leaving the bridge or down the finish chute to collect your well deserved medal and all the coconut water you can drink.

Sorry prob bit too much info, but if its dry or normal, normal road shoes will be fine. If its wet and muddy, then be careful or run in a pair of trail shoes if you have them.

Good luck, what distance and day are you doing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=LXocmIHoVXM

cpfc - strength in times of unusualness
Old 14-08-2015, 09:32 AM

Johnnydev66 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJohnnydev66 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJohnnydev66 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJohnnydev66 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJohnnydev66 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJohnnydev66 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJohnnydev66 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJohnnydev66 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJohnnydev66 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJohnnydev66 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJohnnydev66 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Thanks Enfield, don't believe it's possible to have too much info! Every bit of that is helpful, thanks! I'm doing the Olympic on Sun 27th. It's all a bit daunting as I've not done anything like this before. My main worry is getting confused and missing a lap on the bike or something stupid like that, even though I've got a Garmin watch that should help avoid that.

Thanks again for the info.

http://www.justgiving.com/Johnny-Devereaux2018
Old 14-10-2015, 06:04 PM
SwimBikeRun!

Jacko : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJacko : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJacko : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJacko : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJacko : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJacko : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJacko : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJacko : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJacko : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJacko : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJacko : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Well, with the pain of completing IM Cairns now fading, I have signed up for IM Barcelona next October! Now then, where did I put my bloody bike?!

FOR F**K'S SAKE, MURRAY!!
Old 03-01-2016, 10:17 AM

Enfield eagle is like ice, their footing does betrayEnfield eagle is like ice, their footing does betrayEnfield eagle is like ice, their footing does betrayEnfield eagle is like ice, their footing does betrayEnfield eagle is like ice, their footing does betrayEnfield eagle is like ice, their footing does betrayEnfield eagle is like ice, their footing does betrayEnfield eagle is like ice, their footing does betrayEnfield eagle is like ice, their footing does betrayEnfield eagle is like ice, their footing does betrayEnfield eagle is like ice, their footing does betray
Signed up for London Triathlon Olympic Plus distance, which is an extra 40k bike. Taking small steps towards Ironman distances after realising im not fast enough to go under 3 hours for olympic distance so the challenge has to be distance.

Best thing is you know the plus distance is the first wave sunday 630am so you can plan accordingly. And you get 8 trips thru the limehouse link tunnel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=LXocmIHoVXM

cpfc - strength in times of unusualness
Old 23-02-2016, 07:47 PM

Kevin T came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKevin T came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKevin T came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKevin T came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKevin T came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKevin T came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKevin T came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKevin T came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKevin T came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKevin T came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKevin T came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I've just signed up for this sprint Triathlon in May.

To view the link you have to Register or Login

It's my first one and only 400m of swimming, in a pool, so a nice hopefully easy one to get off the mark. I'm not bothered by the swimming or the cycling at all, but running is more of a challenge for me. 5k is about as far as I've ever run and I'll be doing it after both of the other events. Should I regularly train at the 5k distance to get comfortable at that or should I be aiming to train longer distances, so 5km is easy?