Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Off Topic Ľ Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum

Notices

Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum All things computer, internet, mobile, tablet and video game related.

Old 18-09-2017, 04:37 PM

LN1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLN1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLN1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLN1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLN1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLN1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLN1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLN1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLN1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLN1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLN1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Updated Cnet link as the previous link appeared to be pre 'Alexa' integration.

To view the link you have to Register or Login

Now added to post #180

Last edited by LN1; 18-09-2017 at 04:40 PM.
Old 18-09-2017, 09:37 PM
Selhurst Heaven

chrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is here
I asked Alexa to play some Kraftwerk.....didn't work.

Then pronounced it "craft" (northern accent) "work" and 5 seconds later I'm tapping my foot to "Tour De France"....
Old 21-09-2017, 01:59 PM
Bombay Bad Boy

Dave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is here
Nest installed and hooked up

Anyone got a home alarm system set up that supports Alexa?

Old 21-09-2017, 02:15 PM
This

Galo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGalo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGalo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGalo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGalo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGalo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGalo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGalo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGalo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGalo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGalo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Nest installed and hooked up

Don't see the point of having Alexa support an alarm system when you can set your phone to automatically activate/deactivate by geolocation.
Old 21-09-2017, 02:41 PM
Bombay Bad Boy

Dave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galo View Post
Don't see the point of having Alexa support an alarm system when you can set your phone to automatically activate/deactivate by geolocation.
I want the kids to be able to say "alex set alarm" when leaving and "Alexa disable alarm" when coming in
Old 21-09-2017, 02:45 PM
Wondering why it matters!

Martin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is here
Quote:
I want the kids to be able to say "alex set alarm" when leaving and "Alexa disable alarm" when coming in
Handy for the burglar too. You don't want that nasty bell ringing while he/she is going through your stuff.
Old 21-09-2017, 02:45 PM
johnkettleyisaweatherman

eddieskyclad came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteddieskyclad came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteddieskyclad came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteddieskyclad came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteddieskyclad came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteddieskyclad came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteddieskyclad came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteddieskyclad came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteddieskyclad came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteddieskyclad came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteddieskyclad came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Every time I say "and like I say" Alexa thinks I'm talking to her. At leats twice a night it happens... I should probably stop saying it as it's a stupid phrase.

Nearly 7 million views!!!

WOW!
Old 21-09-2017, 07:28 PM

LN1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLN1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLN1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLN1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLN1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLN1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLN1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLN1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLN1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLN1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLN1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Few more reviewed here although most have monthly fees:

Last edited by LN1; 21-09-2017 at 07:31 PM.
Old 21-09-2017, 07:39 PM
Selhurst Heaven

chrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieskyclad View Post
Every time I say "and like I say" Alexa thinks I'm talking to her. At leats twice a night it happens... I should probably stop saying it as it's a stupid phrase.

Was listening to a podcast on a speaker and the pod host must have said something that sounded like "Alexa", and Alexa woke up and blasted some sort of interaction / question.

Scared the life out of me.
Old 27-09-2017, 11:30 PM
Its gonna be a lovely day

Heb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is here
Dave, not sure if you're still looking but this guy was spot on re the new fire stick released today, and says the new fire TV coming later this year will be able to turn tellies on and off.

Old 28-09-2017, 07:44 PM

Martin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is here
The show is on pre-order over here for mid November, also the new echo and echo plus. I already control various lights with Alexa via the TP link plugs. This all works without a Hub, just relying on Alexa. So I don't really understand what the hub is that is added to the new Echo to form the echo plus. Anyone else understand?
Old 28-09-2017, 08:29 PM

Coastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCoastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCoastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCoastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCoastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCoastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCoastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCoastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCoastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCoastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCoastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I've got one each for me and my boy (Xmas pressie for him)
As long as it plays Silver Lady by David Soul on command then I couldn't give a toss at what else it does!
Old 05-10-2017, 07:38 PM

Isle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIsle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIsle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIsle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIsle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIsle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIsle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIsle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIsle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIsle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIsle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Anyone set up calling yet? I've downloaded the update to the app and cannot work out how to set it up. I can't find anything. They hide this stuff so much now in an effort to make things "clean" you can't get things to work

Member of the Magnificent 16
29th May 2004
Member of the Magnificent 1007
22nd May 2006
Member of the Magnificent 33000
27th May 2013
Old 05-10-2017, 09:23 PM

Isle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIsle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIsle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIsle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIsle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIsle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIsle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIsle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIsle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIsle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIsle of Wight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Ok did it on my phone but couldn't on ipad can't see why as I have a PAYG sim in my ipad.

Member of the Magnificent 16
29th May 2004
Member of the Magnificent 1007
22nd May 2006
Member of the Magnificent 33000
27th May 2013
Old 06-10-2017, 09:01 AM
This

Galo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGalo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGalo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGalo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGalo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGalo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGalo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGalo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGalo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGalo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGalo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Did it on my android. Love using the dot upstairs as an intercom to my echo downstairs.
Old 06-10-2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle of Wight View Post
Anyone set up calling yet? I've downloaded the update to the app and cannot work out how to set it up. I can't find anything. They hide this stuff so much now in an effort to make things "clean" you can't get things to work
I struggled with it yesterday. Mostly because there were no android updates showing as available and I thought I was on the right version. So scoured for ages for the option but eventually found the updated app on play store.

Anyway - it's easy enough to turn on.

I tried drop-in first which allows you to use the devices like an intercom in your house or wider. I just tried it here. The devices have to have the drop in setting turned on. Go to device settings and scroll down to find it. Mine were all turned on already, so be careful to turn any off that you don't want enabled.

Then all you do is say 'drop in' and the name of the device you want to talk to. The advantage of drop-in is that it doesn't need answering as such. It plays a tone on both devices so you know it's on and you just start talking (could be dodgy otherwise I guess). I can imagine if you are in different 'parts of your house' it beats yawping at the top of your voice and could be handy. I can also imagine it some awkward scenarios and there will no doubt be some funny stories emerge with this because from what I can see, there is no repeating sound and you have to tell it stop Being able to do it from your mobile is also quite handy I think - down then garden, in the loft/attic etc. You have to enable your camera and your microphone (understandably but I do wonder sometimes).

You can call a device and I have done that. Basically the same as above but it rings until someone 'answers' it.

To set up calling for anything other than the devices it says that you need to give it access to your contacts for this to work (plus camera and microphone and asks for permission for 'recording' on both). I am not that comfortable with giving them full access to my contacts and so I haven't yet turned that on. My life isn't so interesting for me to ashamed or secretive about who my friends are but I don't see why this is necessary or a good thing. I also add info in the notes sections occasionally that I don't think they should have access to. Their thirst for data is never ending. Also I am not sure I am comfortable giving away address data for my friends without their knowledge. So I am happy to give them info on a person by person basis but not the whole list of contacts or data.

So for now I am not up for that. It may be clearer in the T&Cs exactly which data they access but I haven't even found those yet and probably can't be a***d. If there is a way to just add individual data without full access i would use it. The screen doesn't seem to offer that option but that may be their desire to get full access.

I will inevitably end up with the Show device which adds video to this but the problem with this stuff is that it is so obvious how easily it can be abused by the company or someone within it or even outside it.

Slight digression but things like this and the new Google camera device (Clip or something similar) is that spying on people is likely to become so easy that we will all be running the risk of being online content somewhere at some point. I can quite easily see a time when it will be impossible to find anywhere that you can be certain that you are have privacy. It's probably already here now, but we are not as conscious of it as we perhaps should be. We are all residing in a digital Panoptican. John Twelve Hawks readers will relate to this.
Old 12-10-2017, 06:11 PM
Bombay Bad Boy

Drop in is amazing. Use it multiple times every day.
Old 12-10-2017, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Drop in is amazing. Use it multiple times every day.
Surprisingly handy isn't it.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:42 PM

andyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is here
I set it up for the first time last Friday whilst at work and scared the shit out of my missis as she was at home with our daughter and dog. The dog was looking round for me everywhere.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:44 PM

andyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is here
I have a 2016 Sony tv and suddenly thought I could connect to Alexa as itís an Android tv. Found the instructions to come home and find itís available on my tv (yet) as the app is not currently on there. Praying Sony release an update and include my Model. If not, can anyone recommend a device which will allow me to control my tv via Alexa?