Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Crystal Palace Football Club General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 16-02-2001, 06:58 PM
Anonymous Coward

Steve Coppell is favourite to...

...take over at QPR. Gerry Francis today agreed to leave his job as manager of relegation-threatened Queens Park Rangers and will take charge of the team for the last time against Barnsley tomorrow.

The club has called a press conference for this afternoon and were expected to announce that they are parting company on good terms.

Rangers, who have won only four out of 30 games this season, are bottom of Division One after losing four of their last five matches and the QPR board have been losing patience with Francis.

Old 16-02-2001, 07:03 PM

Bob S knows where the wild roses growBob S knows where the wild roses growBob S knows where the wild roses growBob S knows where the wild roses growBob S knows where the wild roses growBob S knows where the wild roses growBob S knows where the wild roses growBob S knows where the wild roses growBob S knows where the wild roses growBob S knows where the wild roses growBob S knows where the wild roses grow
Is this a speculative flyer Tim, or do you know something? I thought the press conference wasn't starting until 2.00pm
Old 16-02-2001, 07:18 PM

Harry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
.....any news?
Old 16-02-2001, 07:47 PM

Goldfish is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsGoldfish is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsGoldfish is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsGoldfish is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsGoldfish is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsGoldfish is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsGoldfish is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsGoldfish is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsGoldfish is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsGoldfish is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsGoldfish is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadows
He's resigned - but no news on new manager yet I don't think
Old 16-02-2001, 07:50 PM

bucketbongeagle has stood some ghostly moments, with natives in the hillsbucketbongeagle has stood some ghostly moments, with natives in the hillsbucketbongeagle has stood some ghostly moments, with natives in the hillsbucketbongeagle has stood some ghostly moments, with natives in the hillsbucketbongeagle has stood some ghostly moments, with natives in the hillsbucketbongeagle has stood some ghostly moments, with natives in the hillsbucketbongeagle has stood some ghostly moments, with natives in the hillsbucketbongeagle has stood some ghostly moments, with natives in the hillsbucketbongeagle has stood some ghostly moments, with natives in the hillsbucketbongeagle has stood some ghostly moments, with natives in the hillsbucketbongeagle has stood some ghostly moments, with natives in the hills
Wouldn't fancy it if i was Steve, surely he could do better than QPR, it would be like last season except worse, less talent, less support, over half way through the season bottom of the league, I know Steve seems to thrive under these conditions but what could you do ? Personally I rate francis but he's been beaten by an almost impossible task, not exactly going to be fun or well paid is it ?
Old 16-02-2001, 08:11 PM
Anonymous Coward

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob S:
Is this a speculative flyer Tim, or do you know something? I thought the press conference wasn't starting until 2.00pm
Just an old hack's hunch, Bob. He wants to get back into soccer, but doesn't want to have to move home.
Old 16-02-2001, 08:15 PM
Anonymous Coward

Statement from QPR:

THE club are hoping to have a new manager in place for the trip to Gillingham on Tuesday evening after Gerry Francis announced his decision to stand down as manager this afternoon.

Francis will take charge of the team for tomorrow's game with Barnsley and will remain at the club until the end of the season when his contract expires in an advisory role.

The board of directors will be interviewing candidates over the weekend and are hopeful of having a new man in place by Monday.

However, should that not be possible than Francis will remain in control for the game at Priestfield.

"We have a shortlist of manager's for the position and I am confident that we will have someone in charge by early next week, hopefully Monday," said vice-chairman Nick Blackburn this afternoon after a packed press conference at Loftus Road.

"Of the two or three people I have spoken to I have said that there is little or no money to spend and they have said that was not a stumbling block which is a positive step in the right direction.

"However, it may well be that people we haven't approached may contact us and express an interest," he continued.

Blackburn refused to confirm who was on the shortlist but he did say that Assistant Manager Iain Dowie was one of the people whose name was on it and would be considered.

Francis explained his decision to stand down as manager of the club citing that he felt it was only fair to give the PLC plenty of time to find a replacement for next season.

"There are a lot of things to be considered for next season in terms of player's contracts and when you are dealing with people's livelihoods you can't do that if you are not going to be here next season," he said.

Francis, who took over a Rangers boss for the second time in November 1998, says that he is more than willing to help the new man when he is appointed and says that he hopes he will enjoy the backing from the supporters that he has had.

"The supporters have been absolutely brilliant to me in all of my time here and I hope they give the new manager the same support as they have given me.

"I have spent 15 years in management and I feel that I have been very lucky to work in the game as long as I have.

"I played in the team which so nearly won the league in 1976 and I was also manager here with an outstanding side in the Premiership when we finished fifth so I have had some great times with QPR.

Despite frequently stating that the strain of football management has been a factor in him not seeing enough of his family, Francis said that he was not relieved to be getting out.

"I will not say it is a relief to get out as looking at our current position it is not a particularly pleasant one but I believe that we can get out of it and be a division one club next season."

"Obviously I have a young family and the 11 months I spent out of the game after Tottenham were very enjoyable and I look forward to celebrating Christmas and having holidays again once more."

In recognition of his services to the club, the board have offered Gerry a place on the board next season when his contract expires.

"It is a magnificent gesture by the club and one that I am very touched by although it something that will have to be looked at in the summer."

Old 16-02-2001, 09:22 PM
Anonymous Coward

AHA!
The QPR board have already started interviewing potential replacements and have put former Crystal Palace manager Steve Coppell at the top of a sixman shortlist which also includes assistant manager Iain Dowie.
Old 16-02-2001, 09:23 PM
Throbbing Member

Gaffer has to read the song lyrics on the big screenGaffer has to read the song lyrics on the big screenGaffer has to read the song lyrics on the big screenGaffer has to read the song lyrics on the big screenGaffer has to read the song lyrics on the big screenGaffer has to read the song lyrics on the big screenGaffer has to read the song lyrics on the big screenGaffer has to read the song lyrics on the big screenGaffer has to read the song lyrics on the big screenGaffer has to read the song lyrics on the big screenGaffer has to read the song lyrics on the big screen
Tim, with all these scoops, you should apply for the vacant Sports Editor job
Old 16-02-2001, 09:31 PM
Anonymous Coward

Beaten to it by the Standard, Gaffer. And anyway, don't know anything about sport, except a bit about CPFC. (Actually, that could be an advantage!)

Rangers are expected to appoint Coppell before Tuesday's match at Gillingham.
He is out of work after being replaced by Alan Smith at Palace in August and is thought to have the right background after managing in the Premiership and with limited resources in the First Division.

Old 16-02-2001, 09:35 PM
Oh No!

AJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is here
So much for offloaded Ruddock to them then?
Old 17-02-2001, 03:10 AM
Wild and Peaceful

Adrian is happy as a lark and everything is fineAdrian is happy as a lark and everything is fineAdrian is happy as a lark and everything is fineAdrian is happy as a lark and everything is fineAdrian is happy as a lark and everything is fineAdrian is happy as a lark and everything is fineAdrian is happy as a lark and everything is fineAdrian is happy as a lark and everything is fineAdrian is happy as a lark and everything is fineAdrian is happy as a lark and everything is fineAdrian is happy as a lark and everything is fine
Let me be the first to wish Steve the very best of luck if this turns out the way it looks as if it's going to.

It'll be hard but I think we all know he'll do reasonably well at it - I expect him to preserve their status this season, for a start.

Good news for Steve, I say.
Old 17-02-2001, 03:28 AM
'cos it's me name!

Vinny is jogging along the touchline, pleading to get onVinny is jogging along the touchline, pleading to get onVinny is jogging along the touchline, pleading to get onVinny is jogging along the touchline, pleading to get on
It may be the only way we get to say our thanks to Steve in person when QPR (quite poor really) visit Selhurst - but not next season methinks.

Steve, if it's you - good luck, mate!

------------------
It's only my very humblest of opinions.
Old 17-02-2001, 03:37 AM

Passport has to read the song lyrics on the big screenPassport has to read the song lyrics on the big screenPassport has to read the song lyrics on the big screenPassport has to read the song lyrics on the big screenPassport has to read the song lyrics on the big screenPassport has to read the song lyrics on the big screenPassport has to read the song lyrics on the big screenPassport has to read the song lyrics on the big screenPassport has to read the song lyrics on the big screenPassport has to read the song lyrics on the big screen
These rumours have been doing the rounds for a while now. I heard that SSC (Sir Steve C) has even been seen at QPR games.

Good luck to him and I'm sure he''l make a success of the job!
Old 17-02-2001, 03:06 PM
Celestial Empire

Celestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is here
Any chance of us buying Carlisle, to give SC a bit of money to wheel & deal with ??
Old 17-02-2001, 04:06 PM

Gooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
It won't be Sir Steve...