Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

View Poll Results: MoM
Hennessey 5 1.04%
Fosu-Mensah ** 27 5.64%
Dann 3 0.63%
Riedewald 2 0.42%
Ward 1 0.21%
Milivojevic * 0 0%
Puncheon 7 1.46%
van Aanholt 2 0.42%
Loftus-Cheek 405 84.55%
Zaha 20 4.18%
Benteke 1 0.21%
Townsend * 5 1.04%
Tomkins ** 1 0.21%
Voters: 479. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-08-2017, 09:06 PM

BadenEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBadenEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBadenEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBadenEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBadenEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBadenEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBadenEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBadenEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBadenEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBadenEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBadenEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Lot of pant wetting on here. Of course the result was shite. To me at least the game was a typical case of complacent team meeting a hungry, motivated side. Seemed to me the players thought they just needed to turn up to claim the points. 2 goals in 2 minutes put paid to that.

We played some reasonable football at times, however, without looking really threatening. Even then a couple of chances could have got us back in it.

Let's wait for a few games before we crucify the manager, system and individual players. Rome wasn't built in a day....
Old 12-08-2017, 09:07 PM

desperado came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdesperado came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdesperado came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdesperado came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdesperado came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdesperado came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdesperado came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdesperado came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdesperado came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdesperado came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdesperado came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I shouldn’t have been surprised by another shambolic start to Premier League games at Fortress Selhurst after all in four seasons we have lost the first home game each time.

Yesterday’s game was against a team that had just scraped through the play-offs to get promoted and were tipped by pundits to be the team most likely to get relegated. I was cautiously optimistic that we would get a positive result but that only lasted about fifteen minutes. Now it is five losses out of five

Those that have gone to all seventy seven home games back in the Premier League have now seen us lose forty times. With a home record like that it is amazing we are still in the Premier League

We played the 3-4-3 formation which has been practiced in all the pre-season games. It looked more like 3-4-2-1 so isolated was Benteke. It also looked we had decided to play 3-4-3 for the first time as late as Friday afternoon as so many players seemed to be unaware what was expected of them

Loftus-Cheek is the only player to come out of the game with any credit.

Only the first game but already it is looking as if it is going to be another struggle at the wrong end of the table unless we bring in some quality players before the window closes
It is five!
Old 12-08-2017, 09:13 PM

Nigelbrag came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigelbrag came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigelbrag came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigelbrag came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigelbrag came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigelbrag came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigelbrag came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigelbrag came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigelbrag came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigelbrag came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigelbrag came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neckinger Eagle View Post
I'm a bit confused by this. I wasn't aware that BFS had left us in a position where change was needed. What was needed was more of the same.
No, It was Big Sam recognising change was needed when he took over, and did so which saved us.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:13 PM

jimmy the gent Sam the man is herejimmy the gent Sam the man is herejimmy the gent Sam the man is herejimmy the gent Sam the man is herejimmy the gent Sam the man is herejimmy the gent Sam the man is herejimmy the gent Sam the man is herejimmy the gent Sam the man is herejimmy the gent Sam the man is herejimmy the gent Sam the man is herejimmy the gent Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamberleyEagle View Post
Punch won't be a starter for long. He's been great for us, but all things come to an end.
Has been consistently poor for 18 months now. As clear a case of Emperor's New Clothes i've seen at the club for years.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:15 PM
Tomato Sausage Muncher

Worksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is here
You keep losing games at home then eventually you go down
Old 12-08-2017, 09:23 PM

Lee sinnots ear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLee sinnots ear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLee sinnots ear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLee sinnots ear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLee sinnots ear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLee sinnots ear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLee sinnots ear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLee sinnots ear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLee sinnots ear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLee sinnots ear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLee sinnots ear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAB View Post
1 Aug 1973, first game of the new season, Palace v Notts County at Selhurst Park in League 2 (now the Championship). Malcolm Allison as Manager after relegation from the Bert Head promotion. Hopes are high with the fans that we'll walk back to the top league with a 'visionary manager' and new attacking style. Result Palace 1 Notts County 4. So it continued until November when Palace won a match at last.

Today reminded me of that past distant day.

Full marks to Parish and de Boer for trying to make change and progress Palace but as so often, Football is a simple game. It's about the players and will always be so. Asking players to do things which is beyond their capability or willingness is foolish.

I expect we will be bottom by the end of October and a laughing stock in the media and if we have any points it will be a surprise. de Boer will likely be released with a cliché statement and euphemism and Parish's pre eminence at risk of being usurped by the co owners.

The third goal today was like watching 14 year old schoolboys. In all honesty Palace were lucky to get away with 0-3.
Thank you I was trying to remember a more shambolic opening to a season and you've just reminded me. I remember it all turning up with high hopes and starting the game well before being totally overrun. I also was at Bristol city when we did finally win

I guess the only other first game disaster would be 1994 1-6 vs Liverpool the bad news is though both ended in relegation
Old 12-08-2017, 09:26 PM
Danger Zone

Stavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is here
3 at the back does not work

GorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worksop Palace View Post
You keep losing games at home then eventually you go down
You keep winning games away then eventually you stay up.
morale officer

Joe Knight : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJoe Knight : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJoe Knight : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJoe Knight : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJoe Knight : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJoe Knight : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJoe Knight : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJoe Knight : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJoe Knight : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJoe Knight : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJoe Knight : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by mean View Post
Dear Frank

I know its only one game and all that but you've got me a bit worried. It feels a bit arrogant to me to start to manage in a league you've never played in or managed in before, but to decide the formation and style your team will play come what may? A wise man once said 'evolution not revolution' and I really think thats something you should consider? I respect your playing past and your previous management success abroad, but most of the supporters that have been coming to SP for years saw today coming from pre-season, and we've just been 'Ole'd' by the fans of a team that will almost certainly be relegated this year? You need to earn the right to play a passing, possession based game, you can't just force it without the players to back it up. We did create some chances I accept, but none we wouldn't have created in another formation.

This group of players were just about good enough to survive in this difficult league last season with a manager who knew it well, and in a formation they all understood. We spent c£40m on players in January who know that style to stay up. Today, you played 2 teenagers (I think?) in the back 3 either side of a player that even an ex-England manager didn't pick much last year, and we didn't have the player in the side today that effectively gave it its core towards the end of last year, because we don't own him.

You chose a formation that no team but a very top team and one other with very much better ball players, has ever played well in the PL, and critically you clearly told your players to stick with it come what may. HTFC knew exactly what we were going to do every time we had the ball at the back and every time Reidewald got the ball they just blocked him out as they knew we were going to try and play out. Schoolboy stuff!! Please! Playing long occasionally isn't a crime, it makes your opposition think.

You just can't base this team around Punch in midfield. He just not good enough as a first choice any more. Wardy has been a great great servant, and he's an ok RB in a 442 fyi, but he's not an ok RWB. SD is not the man to boss a young back 3. Our goalkeeper isn't good enough because he's not nasty enough and we need a 2nd forward/number 10 to support Benteke.

Please reconsider your style and play to our strengths as a group. I applaud your aspirations to play a more control based game and develop, but lets do that with confidence on our side and not try and just impose/force it and for God's sake have the flexibility to change formation if it isn't working!! We've actually got the core of a decent team that playing 433 or 4141 can do ok. Earn the right to possession; earn the right to play and then evolve your style, and please, before the window closes buy at least a quality GK, a beast centre back and a decent 2nd striker/10.

Thats all. Good luck.
Perfect. My thoughts exactly.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:27 PM
Probationary User

Lprkorngod is playing for a contract
So frustrating, everyone could see during preseason that we didnt have the players yet to play the 343, today couldn't have gone any worse. Fair enough if it was a against a team we could afford to lose to but to lose against Huddersfield on the opening day in the style we did will only reinforce that lack of belief in the 343.

Already on the backfoot, Liverpool next.......back to normal right?
Old 12-08-2017, 09:28 PM
Tomato Sausage Muncher

Worksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by GorBlimey View Post
You keep winning games away then eventually you stay up.
Well yeah that's sort of the point

You simply won't keep winning more away games than home games season after season. It will catch up with you eventually

Our home form will determine our fate this season
Old 12-08-2017, 09:29 PM

jhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
There's one thing playing this formation on the trading ground, but in real match conditions where the opposition closes you down & exposes your deficiencies. Then you see whether the team can adapt. On today's evidence, we are simply not good enough to play that way.

Play one up front, which is essentially what we are continuing to do, and our home results won't improve on last season.

Three at the back is crazy with these players.

It's not a question of being negative, but sometimes you just have to admit that, for us, it doesn't work. We don't retain possession well enough to continue with this system. Give the ball away and you'll concede.

RLC was the brightness on a very dark day.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:30 PM

GorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee sinnots ear View Post
Thank you I was trying to remember a more shambolic opening to a season and you've just reminded me. I remember it all turning up with high hopes and starting the game well before being totally overrun. I also was at Bristol city when we did finally win

I guess the only other first game disaster would be 1994 1-6 vs Liverpool the bad news is though both ended in relegation
I would have thought a 9-0 defeat was pretty dire but that all ended much better than it started.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:31 PM

READING EAGLE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineREADING EAGLE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineREADING EAGLE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineREADING EAGLE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineREADING EAGLE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineREADING EAGLE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineREADING EAGLE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineREADING EAGLE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineREADING EAGLE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineREADING EAGLE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineREADING EAGLE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Rubbish just rubbish we do not have the type of players that can play possession football we have players that can defend and counter attack 4 1 3 2
Old 12-08-2017, 09:37 PM

eagleborn came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagleborn came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagleborn came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagleborn came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagleborn came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagleborn came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagleborn came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagleborn came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagleborn came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagleborn came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagleborn came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by READING EAGLE View Post
Rubbish just rubbish we do not have the type of players that can play possession football we have players that can defend and counter attack 4 1 3 2
Whilst I agree, it's that same formation and players that have been shit at home for years. **** knows what's wrong with them.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:37 PM

Lee sinnots ear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLee sinnots ear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLee sinnots ear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLee sinnots ear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLee sinnots ear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLee sinnots ear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLee sinnots ear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLee sinnots ear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLee sinnots ear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLee sinnots ear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLee sinnots ear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by GorBlimey View Post
I would have thought a 9-0 defeat was pretty dire but that all ended much better than it started.
Read my post a little more detailed I was talking about opening season disasters
Old 12-08-2017, 09:41 PM
Wondering why it matters!

Martin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is here
Didn't we lose to WBA at home a year ago?
Old 12-08-2017, 09:45 PM

PHIL BARBER came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPHIL BARBER came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPHIL BARBER came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPHIL BARBER came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPHIL BARBER came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPHIL BARBER came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPHIL BARBER came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPHIL BARBER came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPHIL BARBER came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPHIL BARBER came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPHIL BARBER came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Why do managers make such weird decisions plays luka all preseason as CB , doesn't play ward but starts, lets Julian play against Schalke evidently more comfortable with Ball at his feet, drops a young kid in FM after being here 2 days, what the F....k was he thinking. and Subs FM when we are losing ?? just tell me what i have missed !!!
Old 12-08-2017, 09:46 PM

Mr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is here
This was so much worse than West Brom. It really was an embarrassment. He's had all pre season and he churns out that shambles. Just wow. You move to a new system when you have he players to suit it. Today was just shockingly bad. So many bad decisions from de Boer.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:46 PM
Wondering why it matters!

Martin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is here
Anyone have a link to a full 90 min download please? Can't face it tonight but would like to watch it again in full tomorrow if poss. I know someone regularly posted links last year.