Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Crystal Palace Football Club General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

View Poll Results: MoM
Hennessey 5 1.04%
Fosu-Mensah ** 27 5.64%
Dann 3 0.63%
Riedewald 2 0.42%
Ward 1 0.21%
Milivojevic * 0 0%
Puncheon 7 1.46%
van Aanholt 2 0.42%
Loftus-Cheek 405 84.55%
Zaha 20 4.18%
Benteke 1 0.21%
Townsend * 5 1.04%
Tomkins ** 1 0.21%
Voters: 479. You may not vote on this poll

Old 15-08-2017, 01:46 PM

redemptionday : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineredemptionday : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineredemptionday : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineredemptionday : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineredemptionday : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineredemptionday : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineredemptionday : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineredemptionday : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineredemptionday : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineredemptionday : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineredemptionday : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Stand out by far was Loftus Cheek.

I wish Puncheon wasn't a nailed-on starter.
Old 15-08-2017, 08:31 PM

MagorMal is playing for a contract
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperman View Post
Coming out of selhurst yesterday i thought i would give this 24 hours before giving ratings rather than rantings:

not swimming with the tide on this one....

i cant see FDB abandoning his preferred system after one (very disappointing) performance, no matter how obvious it is to many on here; the Dutchman's not for turning - the best thing we can do right now as supporters is to get behind the team, its not about being entrenched, its about belief in a philosophy - he has that faith; we (and the players?) don't have....yet.

prior to the game i'm suspecting most of us who've watched regularly in recent seasons would have said bar Townsend for ward and cabaye for punch that was our strongest starting 11 from players available, in some ways Huddersfield reminded me of us 5 years ago, very physical with a sprinkling of talent plus a system that works - have we become a little premier league precious ? in fairness we were afforded very little protection from john moss who seemed to have forgotten his red card on his first day back at school allowing the away team far too much leniency in their misunderstanding of what was bookable and consistently poor tackling in this league, he called their captain over after about 10 minutes then bottled it - definitely should have 2nd yellowed smith for the pull back on wilf in 2nd half (quickly acknowledged by Wagner by subbing him moments later), given another referee with a different interpretation, we could have been playing against 10 and then who knows because we certainly created chances...

the snare we have is that the system FDB wants suits players who are comfortable on the ball in procession under pressure, done well; this is a beautiful, thrilling system; extremely easy on the eye and bloody hard to defend against, given our propensity to promote players who are solid but don't have this in their DNA i think it might get worse before it gets better, if we can hold our nerve (with a few additions) and get a dollop of luck (we had none Saturday), it might - just might work....

so where do i think we need to strengthen ? fundamentally this system works best with a goal keeper who can play as the fulcrum, going long when the other team press the short ball and distributing with confidence and being an option again when they don't, the debate about WH goes on and on but IMO he will never ever be that type of keeper, if you add to this his reluctance to command his area and somewhat erratic shot stopping, then he must be replaced - put simply either he goes or the system does, i don't think it was one of his worst performances Saturday but you can see his lack of confidence permeates throughout the defence and more significantly the opposition can sense it and press higher, when the opposition pressed WH was confused as to what to do when further up the pitch a long ball would have put 5 of their outfield players out of the game and given us a 4 v 5 situation - FDB comments up to now were that the 3rd keeper could be a 1st or 3rd choice IMVHO it needs to be the single highest priority to bring in a keeper who is comfortable playing in this system (lossl for them is a good example of how this can settle a team).

Riedewald doesn't look ready yet for the pace of premier league and having him and PVA down our left flank looks a weak prospect atm; i think schlupp has better defensive qualities than PVA; something we badly missed on Saturday as he was at fault mostly for two of the goals, Townsend for me could make WB but its not his natural game so will take time, Punch did his damnedest Saturday but in this system he simply doesn't move the ball quick enough, whilst FBD may be resolute about his system, if he wants it to work he must at least in the short term be less obstinate about starting his captain; i would prefer a middle three of luka, RLC and Cabaye who i think have a greater technical ability to do this, so perhaps:

-----------new GK

-----TFM---Dann---Tomkins

Townsend--Luka-cabaye--Schlupp
----------------RLC

--------Wilf.........Benteke--------

i appreciate liverpool away might not be the best place for us to continue the orange revolution but maybe a rude awakening is what the doctor needs to get the focus - keep the faith brothers we've been in stickier situations than this....
Nice to see someone with a balanced view and realistic attitude to moving our team forward.