Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

View Poll Results: MoM
Hennessey 5 1.04%
Fosu-Mensah ** 27 5.64%
Dann 3 0.63%
Riedewald 2 0.42%
Ward 1 0.21%
Milivojevic * 0 0%
Puncheon 7 1.46%
van Aanholt 2 0.42%
Loftus-Cheek 405 84.55%
Zaha 20 4.18%
Benteke 1 0.21%
Townsend * 5 1.04%
Tomkins ** 1 0.21%
Voters: 479. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-08-2017, 08:18 PM

Eagleinmk : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEagleinmk : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEagleinmk : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEagleinmk : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEagleinmk : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEagleinmk : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEagleinmk : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEagleinmk : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEagleinmk : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEagleinmk : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEagleinmk : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Ward was terrible, he genuinely didn't seem to have a clue where he should be positioned at any time....and I'm not usually in the Ward is crap camp!

The number of times he drifted back into his old position before realising he needed to move forward, even then his positioning was terrible- proper rabbit in the headlights all game- this is not entirely down to Joel himself though, the manager is at fault for how bad he was today...round pegs in square holes all over the park.

Really depressing day - had high hopes for a new season, new manager, new system...stupid me, this is Palace isn't it?!!!
Old 12-08-2017, 08:18 PM

Canute : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCanute : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCanute : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCanute : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCanute : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCanute : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCanute : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCanute : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCanute : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCanute : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCanute : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicharro View Post
Im lucky

I am with my wife's family having a meal in the north of tenerife. The beers were drunk, the wine is flowing very well.
And i am not going to read anything until Monday.
We are starting on the fino and later on we will be on the tapas and pinchos until early morning.

I am sorry to say but this is Palace.
We must go back to the basics and learn how to play as a unit and simple FOOTBALL.

We are not a top 5 Team.

I will go back to my "fino" because it is getting warm in the sun.
Any spare seats? I will take a plane and bring some Tempranillo.
Old 12-08-2017, 08:20 PM

Danny boy Sam the man is hereDanny boy Sam the man is hereDanny boy Sam the man is hereDanny boy Sam the man is hereDanny boy Sam the man is hereDanny boy Sam the man is hereDanny boy Sam the man is hereDanny boy Sam the man is hereDanny boy Sam the man is hereDanny boy Sam the man is hereDanny boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatGonzo View Post
We had a RWB all pre-season, it was madness that he started today on the bench. No attacking threat down the right hand side and they dominated us on that side instead of us pushing them back. Not helped by having the best player on the pitch wasted out wide when he is excellent in the middle.
Agree but Townsend should never be playing there long term. Imagine how good it could look with an attacking full back linking up with Townsend out wide.

Also agree on the Loftus Cheek point shame managers are now shoehorning a mediocre midfielder like Puncheon into the side for some bizarre reason.
Old 12-08-2017, 08:20 PM

little dedders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlittle dedders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlittle dedders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlittle dedders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlittle dedders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlittle dedders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlittle dedders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlittle dedders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlittle dedders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlittle dedders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlittle dedders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie McGoldrick's tash View Post
Taught a harsh lesson in Premier League football by a club who haven't played Premier League in, what 30 years?
We were abysmal.
Just read that out of their starting 11 only Tom Ince had ever played premier league football before!
Old 12-08-2017, 08:24 PM

jimmy the gent Sam the man is herejimmy the gent Sam the man is herejimmy the gent Sam the man is herejimmy the gent Sam the man is herejimmy the gent Sam the man is herejimmy the gent Sam the man is herejimmy the gent Sam the man is herejimmy the gent Sam the man is herejimmy the gent Sam the man is herejimmy the gent Sam the man is herejimmy the gent Sam the man is here
Awful stuff:

PVA nowhere near the flick on for first. 2nd - Ward clumsy and off the pace all game and failed to close the cross to which Jairo was absolutely nowhere near, before WH was beaten easily at his near post for the third.

Just f*cking awful all round.

Old 12-08-2017, 08:28 PM
per aspera ad astra!

RAB came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRAB came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRAB came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRAB came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRAB came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRAB came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRAB came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRAB came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRAB came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRAB came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRAB came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
1 Aug 1973, first game of the new season, Palace v Notts County at Selhurst Park in League 2 (now the Championship). Malcolm Allison as Manager after relegation from the Bert Head promotion. Hopes are high with the fans that we'll walk back to the top league with a 'visionary manager' and new attacking style. Result Palace 1 Notts County 4. So it continued until November when Palace won a match at last.

Today reminded me of that past distant day.

Full marks to Parish and de Boer for trying to make change and progress Palace but as so often, Football is a simple game. It's about the players and will always be so. Asking players to do things which is beyond their capability or willingness is foolish.

I expect we will be bottom by the end of October and a laughing stock in the media and if we have any points it will be a surprise. de Boer will likely be released with a cliché statement and euphemism and Parish's pre eminence at risk of being usurped by the co owners.

The third goal today was like watching 14 year old schoolboys. In all honesty Palace were lucky to get away with 0-3.

Last edited by RAB; 12-08-2017 at 08:31 PM.
Old 12-08-2017, 08:29 PM

mean : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemean : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemean : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemean : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemean : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemean : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemean : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemean : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemean : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemean : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemean : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Dear Frank

I know its only one game and all that but you've got me a bit worried. It feels a bit arrogant to me to start to manage in a league you've never played in or managed in before, but to decide the formation and style your team will play come what may? A wise man once said 'evolution not revolution' and I really think thats something you should consider? I respect your playing past and your previous management success abroad, but most of the supporters that have been coming to SP for years saw today coming from pre-season, and we've just been 'Ole'd' by the fans of a team that will almost certainly be relegated this year? You need to earn the right to play a passing, possession based game, you can't just force it without the players to back it up. We did create some chances I accept, but none we wouldn't have created in another formation.

This group of players were just about good enough to survive in this difficult league last season with a manager who knew it well, and in a formation they all understood. We spent c£40m on players in January who know that style to stay up. Today, you played 2 teenagers (I think?) in the back 3 either side of a player that even an ex-England manager didn't pick much last year, and we didn't have the player in the side today that effectively gave it its core towards the end of last year, because we don't own him.

You chose a formation that no team but a very top team and one other with very much better ball players, has ever played well in the PL, and critically you clearly told your players to stick with it come what may. HTFC knew exactly what we were going to do every time we had the ball at the back and every time Reidewald got the ball they just blocked him out as they knew we were going to try and play out. Schoolboy stuff!! Please! Playing long occasionally isn't a crime, it makes your opposition think.

You just can't base this team around Punch in midfield. He just not good enough as a first choice any more. Wardy has been a great great servant, and he's an ok RB in a 442 fyi, but he's not an ok RWB. SD is not the man to boss a young back 3. Our goalkeeper isn't good enough because he's not nasty enough and we need a 2nd forward/number 10 to support Benteke.

Please reconsider your style and play to our strengths as a group. I applaud your aspirations to play a more control based game and develop, but lets do that with confidence on our side and not try and just impose/force it and for God's sake have the flexibility to change formation if it isn't working!! We've actually got the core of a decent team that playing 433 or 4141 can do ok. Earn the right to possession; earn the right to play and then evolve your style, and please, before the window closes buy at least a quality GK, a beast centre back and a decent 2nd striker/10.

Thats all. Good luck.
Old 12-08-2017, 08:30 PM
KISS MY AR*SE SEAWEED

crowboro eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecrowboro eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecrowboro eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecrowboro eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecrowboro eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecrowboro eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecrowboro eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecrowboro eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecrowboro eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecrowboro eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecrowboro eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
The second goal is shocking. No conviction from ward to stop that cross coming in. He just jogs says a lot to me that he doesn't want to be here any more. And who on earth is marking in the middle!!
Old 12-08-2017, 08:34 PM
I'm thinking about it

Eddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is here
I have seen the rumour that Townsend arrived late so was benched. No idea if it is true or not but not having him start was a big problem for us (although there were many of them). We looked far more dangerous second half.

During the game we also noticed he was also very keen to get the ball back for throw ins and put it down for free kicks etc. - if he has got in trouble with the boss that may be why.

But to start the game with Luka playing a position he has not played all pre-season, RLC playing a position he hadn't played at all pre-season, Ward playing a position he has barely played (only for a few minutes) in pre-season and give TFM a debut after not playing a single minute of pre-season anywhere, just seemed stupid.

Last edited by Eddie McGoldrick's tash; 12-08-2017 at 08:37 PM.
Old 12-08-2017, 08:34 PM
I DON'T look like SJ

Jim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowboro eagle View Post
The second goal is shocking. No conviction from ward to stop that cross coming in. He just jogs says a lot to me that he doesn't want to be here any more. And who on earth is marking in the middle!!
Well with a performance like that, he won't get much interest
Old 12-08-2017, 08:40 PM

exiledeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietexiledeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietexiledeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietexiledeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietexiledeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietexiledeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietexiledeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietexiledeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietexiledeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietexiledeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietexiledeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Defence of Hennessey - would anyone want to be in goal with our defenders ?

nb/ yes we need upgrade
Old 12-08-2017, 08:42 PM
Returning to obscurity

Palestinian Sam the man is herePalestinian Sam the man is herePalestinian Sam the man is herePalestinian Sam the man is herePalestinian Sam the man is herePalestinian Sam the man is herePalestinian Sam the man is herePalestinian Sam the man is herePalestinian Sam the man is herePalestinian Sam the man is herePalestinian Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatGonzo View Post
We had a RWB all pre-season, it was madness that he started today on the bench. No attacking threat down the right hand side and they dominated us on that side instead of us pushing them back. Not helped by having the best player on the pitch wasted out wide when he is excellent in the middle.
Understand that Townsend was carrying an injury which is why he didn't start - even when he came on he didn't do the chasing every lost cause running that he did under Allardyce.
Old 12-08-2017, 08:44 PM

OneSize : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOneSize : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOneSize : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOneSize : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOneSize : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOneSize : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOneSize : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOneSize : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOneSize : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOneSize : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOneSize : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowboro eagle View Post
He was clueless because he knew he would be left 2v1 because there is zero cover behind. Watch again he has no idea whether to stay or go. That's the managers fault
Old 12-08-2017, 08:46 PM
Wondering why it matters!

Martin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Newton View Post
because it was pretty apparent the formation wasn't working in preseason?
Oh FFS .........
Old 12-08-2017, 08:48 PM
Selhurstian

EagleSE24 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagleSE24 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagleSE24 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagleSE24 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagleSE24 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagleSE24 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagleSE24 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagleSE24 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagleSE24 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagleSE24 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagleSE24 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Only four pre season games and then play players that haven't been involved at all against a team with everything to prove and nothing to lose. It's baffling. The management must have been confident the players could do the job. How did they get it so wrong? Personally, I'm very happy with the philosophy of being hard to beat.

We alternate between managers who try to change the style (a) and managers who try to make us resilient (b). Holloway (a), Pulis (b), Pardew (a), Allardyce (b). Now we've got de Boer. Can he be the first to make it work?
Old 12-08-2017, 08:50 PM

CamberleyEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCamberleyEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCamberleyEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCamberleyEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCamberleyEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCamberleyEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCamberleyEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCamberleyEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCamberleyEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCamberleyEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCamberleyEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Punch won't be a starter for long. He's been great for us, but all things come to an end.

If Scott Dann's missus is still homesick, a move back is more likely to be to Tranmere now than Liverpool. I don't remember a palace player deteriorating so quickly.
Old 12-08-2017, 08:50 PM

Ifill Over came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIfill Over came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIfill Over came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIfill Over came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIfill Over came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIfill Over came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIfill Over came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIfill Over came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIfill Over came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIfill Over came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIfill Over came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Best 2 players were our loanees. Worst out field players were Dann, Ward and Punch, just feel their performances have stagnated as the quality of the opposition has improved. Nothing new it has been like this for more than a season.

Most annoying thing today was Huddersfield looked like they had further gears to move up through, whereas we looked clueless.
Old 12-08-2017, 08:57 PM

Mictor Voses came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMictor Voses came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMictor Voses came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMictor Voses came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMictor Voses came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMictor Voses came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMictor Voses came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMictor Voses came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMictor Voses came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMictor Voses came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMictor Voses came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifill Over View Post
Best 2 players were our loanees. Worst out field players were Dann, Ward and Punch, just feel their performances have stagnated as the quality of the opposition has improved. Nothing new it has been like this for more than a season.

Most annoying thing today was Huddersfield looked like they had further gears to move up through, whereas we looked clueless.
Dann looks past it, Ward needs a new challenge and Punch is just crap.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:01 PM
I'm thinking about it

Eddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palestinian View Post
Understand that Townsend was carrying an injury which is why he didn't start - even when he came on he didn't do the chasing every lost cause running that he did under Allardyce.
Looked absolutely fine to me. Was also chasing to get the ball back for throw-ins and free kicks etc. I saw someone on here say he arrived late and was dropped as a result. That appears far more likely to me than an injury.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:04 PM
Returning to obscurity

Palestinian Sam the man is herePalestinian Sam the man is herePalestinian Sam the man is herePalestinian Sam the man is herePalestinian Sam the man is herePalestinian Sam the man is herePalestinian Sam the man is herePalestinian Sam the man is herePalestinian Sam the man is herePalestinian Sam the man is herePalestinian Sam the man is here
After a reasonable first 15 minutes, an appalling final 75; much, much worse that Sunderland last season when it was a 15 minute Ledley horror show (with some help from Hennesey) again with 3 at the back.

That said to be honest the problem today wasn't so much the formation as the lack of leadership on the pitch and gaps there would be in any formation. With the team put out we would not have been much better with 4 at back. We lacked any leaders on the pitch under Pardew and while Sakho provided that for 8 games it still hasn't been addressed. Heads dropped after the first went in and dropped further when the second went in.

It was a mess today but suspect that FDB needed to see us in a competitive situation before his shopping list became clear. A CB who is a real leader and can organise, encourage and cajole the rest of the defence should be the top of that list.