Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Crystal Palace Football Club Ľ Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 13-11-2017, 09:58 PM
Benevolence personified

Vince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by New LP View Post
Brighton 0 Palace 2, playoff semi final.
Very surprised not to see the Villa Park semi final mentioned more
Old 13-11-2017, 10:18 PM

palacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Hilaire's Afro View Post
That is because.....

"What is the best Palace game you have ever been to that didn't mean anything so not including promotion, relegation, play offs, semi finals, finals etc)"

Please keep up.
Old 13-11-2017, 10:18 PM

newish eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnewish eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnewish eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnewish eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnewish eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnewish eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnewish eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnewish eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnewish eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnewish eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnewish eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
The 3-2 at Burnley a few seasons ago wasnít bad. Madness when Gayle scored the winner.
Old 13-11-2017, 10:32 PM
Crow Counting

FourtyTwo Sam the man is hereFourtyTwo Sam the man is hereFourtyTwo Sam the man is hereFourtyTwo Sam the man is hereFourtyTwo Sam the man is hereFourtyTwo Sam the man is hereFourtyTwo Sam the man is hereFourtyTwo Sam the man is hereFourtyTwo Sam the man is hereFourtyTwo Sam the man is hereFourtyTwo Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
The 3-0 against Arsenal last season was very special, but beating Brighton 3-1 in their first League game at the Amex is probably the best.

Two other standout games:

1) taking very Sloaney (does anyone use that term these days ?) girlfriend to her first Palace game in 1987 (I think), where we beat Plymouth 5-0 under the floodlights during a very lean league spell - she had no understanding of why I could get so excited, and

2) A fairly nondescript League Cup game against Southend that we won 6-0. Memorable because I went on my own and stood in a fairly empty Sainsbury's End, (before seating) where we scored most of the goals, and on getting home later and watching the highlights on ITV I could see myself celebrating each goal !
8 - 0 IIRC, with the second leg finishing 2 - 0.
Old 13-11-2017, 10:36 PM

ElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
2) A fairly nondescript League Cup game against Southend that we won 6-0. Memorable because I went on my own and stood in a fairly empty Sainsbury's End, (before seating) where we scored most of the goals, and on getting home later and watching the highlights on ITV I could see myself celebrating each goal !
Clearly not all that memorable considering you can't remember the score. It was the first leg of a 2nd round match that we won 8-0. To be fair, it was a remarkably dull match given the scoreline. They weren't that terrible. We weren't particularly brilliant.

We just seemed to score every time we attacked in the second half. Ian Wright and Mark Bright both got a hat-trick and Garry Thompson got another. Southend's manager David Webb hilariously suggested that his team's tactic for dealing with our strikers in the 2nd leg would be to turn the floodlights off. I'm not sure whether he'd get away with it today although having recently read that Barry Williams is still being employed by Palace, maybe not.

(EDIT: Damn! ... beaten to it by FourtyTwo, although the 2nd leg finished 2-1)
Old 13-11-2017, 10:41 PM
Benevolence personified

Vince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by palacemetros View Post
That is because.....

"What is the best Palace game you have ever been to that didn't mean anything so not including promotion, relegation, play offs, semi finals, finals etc)"

Please keep up.
Old 13-11-2017, 10:55 PM

New LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is here
Quote:

Personally I wasnít at the game.

But I agree.
Old 13-11-2017, 11:05 PM

DARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is here
Palace versus Real Madrid, to celebrate our new floodlights, was pretty memorable. 7 goals and some world class stars on show including some from Madrid.
Old 13-11-2017, 11:13 PM

Oli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is here
Quote:

Either that or the playoff final surely
Old 13-11-2017, 11:24 PM

Richard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by FourtyTwo View Post
8 - 0 IIRC, with the second leg finishing 2 - 0.
Sorry - you're absolutely right. I think we scored six at the Sainsbury's end, which is probably why the number stuck in my very small brain.

I went to the away leg as well - one of the few times I fancied us to get through a cup tie ...

Last edited by Richard; 13-11-2017 at 11:28 PM.
Old 13-11-2017, 11:25 PM

Richard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElwissAtMemphis View Post
Clearly not all that memorable considering you can't remember the score.

(EDIT: Damn! ... beaten to it by FourtyTwo, although the 2nd leg finished 2-1)
Sorry again !
Old 13-11-2017, 11:44 PM

Martinsleftpeg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMartinsleftpeg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMartinsleftpeg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMartinsleftpeg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMartinsleftpeg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMartinsleftpeg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMartinsleftpeg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMartinsleftpeg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMartinsleftpeg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMartinsleftpeg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMartinsleftpeg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Se9 eagles View Post
How many Palace at Wrexham that night?Must have been amazing.Any recollections as I was a bit too young to go and the game has always fascinated me.

It was an amazing night. I believe we took 2500 or thereabouts. I was at Uni in Manchester and there were about 35 Palace up there in 76 but the atmosphere was really unique that night. Everyone seemed to believe we could go up the team was on fire and the only problem was we had a rookie goalie Caswell I think who did fine. The last few minutes were manic but as I hit my head on a stanchion celebrating Rachids goal I donít remember much after that but I do recall downing several pints in a club in Manchester later with many pissed Cpfc fans what a night !
Old 13-11-2017, 11:51 PM
Dougie 21/03/2007

milky87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmilky87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmilky87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmilky87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmilky87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmilky87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmilky87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmilky87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmilky87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmilky87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmilky87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cannon View Post
Great goals all over the shop that day, Pompey's opener was a stunner, Dean Gordon's header was class too. Alan Smith in true Smith fashion made some great comments after the game. Of Gordon's goal, he said he thought "what's he doing up there?", and my favourite, before Southgate scored he said "oh no, he is going to shoot"
Alan Smith once said the following

"Ricky Newman is the best passer of the ball in the Premiership"

Old 14-11-2017, 12:53 AM

orp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is here
Blackburn playoff final
Old 14-11-2017, 12:56 AM
Dougie 21/03/2007

milky87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmilky87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmilky87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmilky87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmilky87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmilky87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmilky87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmilky87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmilky87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmilky87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmilky87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by orp pisshead1 View Post
Blackburn playoff final
Pay attention chief
Old 14-11-2017, 01:46 AM
Benevolence personified

Quote:
Originally Posted by milky87 View Post
Alan Smith once said the following

"Ricky Newman is the best passer of the ball in the Premiership"

He was that night we beat Coventry 1-4 at Highfield Road
Old 14-11-2017, 07:00 AM
Party on

Chris Finch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChris Finch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChris Finch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChris Finch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChris Finch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChris Finch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChris Finch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChris Finch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChris Finch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChris Finch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChris Finch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Coventry 2004 - Highfield Rd, Brian Deane last minute
Crystanbul 2014 - say no more
Arsenal 2017 - unreal
Brighton 2002 - thrashed them
Charlton 2012 - always fun
Old 14-11-2017, 08:24 AM

FMH57 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFMH57 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFMH57 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFMH57 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFMH57 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFMH57 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFMH57 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFMH57 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFMH57 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFMH57 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFMH57 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by palacemetros View Post
That is because.....

Please keep up.
It's amazing how few seem to get past the first four/five words of any thread, post etc.

Palace 4 Ipswich 1 September 1979

As mentioned earlier, also included best ever palace goal by Jim Cannon.
Old 14-11-2017, 08:54 AM
Safe European Home

JDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is here
Thought about it some more. If it's only one game then it's the FA Cup replay against Wolves in 09/10. Danny Butterfield's hattrick. Given where we were at the time this was pretty special.
Old 14-11-2017, 09:09 AM

Am Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is here
Jim Cannon Testimonial

You wouldn't get those line-ups today.